Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

I actually want a new protagonist.

OP Jokaface765

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
As much as I love chief. Too be honest I felt his story should have ended after 3 or 4. 3 imo was a great send off to the character and I just think that should have been the end of his story. One thing I noticed is that sometimes you can over develop a character too much to the point where there is nothing left creative wise.

Personally, I want the series to move forward a focus on a new spartan even it's not Locke, heck even a character who is isn't a spartan, and let chief finally have a ending. I mean 6 games where master chief is the main protagonist should be enough to fully flesh out the character and give a proper goodbye.
I just don't want the character to start getting milked or stale because that's what fans want and the series keeps focusing on MC forever. In fact I would even take a Halo set in a new universe or in a far flung future or idk, just something where MC or the whole Halo Rings thing isn't the main focus.

The current Halo stories and MC are pretty much fleshed out as it is. Rather it be the games,novels, other media, etc... Pretty much his story and the story of the Halo rings have been explained. Not much mystery left in the current story line.

So that's just how I feel. MC will always be the face Halo that's no doubt. But I think 6 is enough to finally give him a send off and focus on the future of the Halo franchise. I want Halo universe expand into new territory and try something different. Some of the spinoffs games proved Halo can be a success even when MC isn't in the spotlight.
<!-- Used for easily cloning the properly namespaced rect -->
Well, the mystery of the Halo's isn't the current storyline. That storyline hit a brick wall after 3 ended. This is the Reclaimer Saga, not the Halo Saga. This story arc is all about Chief's ties to the Forerunners and what they did so very long ago that still haunts us to this day over 100,000 years later. Chief's entire personality has begun to actually bloom like a flower now that he's more in touch with his humanity since losing his closest ally.

And while yes, the current storyline is about Chief, it isn't about Halo's Chief, it's about OUR Chief. Who he is as a person, rather than who he is as a super soldier.

Halo: Combat Evolved and all of the games, comics, animations, and novels that came before and between then and Halo 3 was a different Chief. A Chief that only obeyed orders given; who never asked questions and only did what was asked or told of him. This Master Chief is rather different; he disobeys orders if he feels they aren't the best course of action, he talks back to superiors who try to play the rank game when being questioned about his decision to disobey orders, and he even abandons post to go searching for a friend. He is far more human than he ever was because for the first time in history, he blatantly disobeys orders and goes against everything he was created to be and do for the sake of holding onto who he is as a human BEING.

In all honesty, I kinda want to see where Chief goes in his adventure, and I can understand getting tired of a character, but Master Chief is a character I don't think I'll ever stop appreciating.
I definitely don’t want to see anyone other than Chief as the face of Halo. He’s the one most people automatically think of when they hear “Halo” and that carries a lot of weight.

I initially thought it might be okay if his story arc is given proper closure and he ends up being written out in favor of another protagonist. But the thing is that no matter how fairly and well that’s handled, it would leave a bad taste in many people’s mouths and 343i will always be looked at as evil for writing out Chief. I know I’d be part of that group because to me Halo and Chief are one and the same and always will be. There would be multiple stories and theories on why he was written out and overall would result in negativity around the franchise.

The prominence of other protagonists has been handled perfectly to this point (save for Halo 5). There are spinoff games which let you explore new or slightly different gameplay mechanics and bond with other characters without stepping on Chief’s territory. Same for the books and comics. I have bonded with multiple characters in the books and many of them are some of my favorite characters in the universe. I think it would be cool as hell to see a few of them lead a spinoff game and maybe even be playable in a couple missions of mainline games. But, the main plot belongs to Chief and no one can replace him at the helm unless there’s a real requirement to do so.
Chief should have had his ending with Halo 3, but since he's back I think he's here to stay. I'm okay with that.

I'm okay with other protagonists, but I don't think in mainline Halo games. Maybe there could be an expansion to Halo Infinite with another protagonist, or another spin-off.
As much as I love chief. Too be honest I felt his story should have ended after 3 or 4. 3 imo was a great send off to the character and I just think that should have been the end of his story. One thing I noticed is that sometimes you can over develop a character too much to the point where there is nothing left creative wise.
Bungie intended to end Chief's story on Halo 3, but they expanded the lore saying Mendicant Bias shut the portal on Chief's side on the Forward Unto Dawn to redeem himself to his creators.
I don't. Not for mainline games anyway.
It's needed since he's getting milked at this point. Furthermore there's lot of stories that can be told and sticking to chief just holds it all back. Theissue would be those whom Halo as the chief👍
interesting thoughts dude
I agree with you OP. My personal thoughts would be a Spartan 5 program that are completely inspired by the H2/3 Chief Armor design and would revere Chief with respect/ inspire to be him.
Spoiler:
Show
I don't think most of the fanbase would be okay with Chief being replaced completely.I don't want to imagine the amount of backlash 343 would receive.

It's best to just produce more FPS spinoff titles.343 has yet to do 1.Storylines and playable characters shouldn't be an issue at all.
I for one don't necessarily want to see a new protagonist at this point yet. Once Downes decides he's done though, or if 343 do decide to entirely replace Chief, I want the "new" guy to be Jerome.

I think Jerome looks enough like Chief (in armor) to still let casual people recognize him, and is well known enough to the Halo community that he wouldn't be completely jarring (like Locke).
I wouldn't mind playing as someone new because Halo has become more than just the Master Chief. Don't get me wrong I love the Chief and he is the face of Halo. But Halo definitely still has a future without the Chief if done right. But I think it will be awhile before we ever get a new protagonist in the mainline games because 343I tried that in Halo 5 and look how that ended up. People were not very happy so now 343I is bringing Chief back as the full main character in Infinite. I wouldn't mind if in the future if someone like Jerome from Red Team or maybe someone from Blue Team. But like I said, it will be awhile.
I for one don't necessarily want to see a new protagonist at this point yet. Once Downes decides he's done though, or if 343 do decide to entirely replace Chief, I want the "new" guy to be Jerome.

I think Jerome looks enough like Chief (in armor) to still let casual people recognize him, and is well known enough to the Halo community that he wouldn't be completely jarring (like Locke).
A non-Halo Wars Red Team game would be awesome. If one day we have a mainline Halo game with a new protagonist, I still hope it is a Spartan II.

I did like that it appeared Blue Team was in the FPS and Red Team in the RTS genres, but Jerome is a good choice. :)
JB Linken wrote:

A non-Halo Wars Red Team game would be awesome. If one day we have a mainline Halo game with a new protagonist, I still hope it is a Spartan II.

I did like that it appeared Blue Team was in the FPS and Red Team in the RTS genres, but Jerome is a good choice. :)
Speaking of Blue team, Fred also wouldn't be a bad replacement for Chief, though doesn't look as much like Chief as Jerome does.
I get what you're saying here OP, and I agree in the sense that I don't want Halo to get stale because we as a community are too afraid to move on without the Chief at the forefront. I even have an idea for how Chief could die at the end of H6, Cortana goes to the Ark, and Red Team and SoF come in to save the day and stop Cortana in HW3 or H7, thereby making Jerome the new face of the franchise.

One problem though is that 343 got a lot of flak when H5 required you to understand more material than was provided in the game. In my idea above, you would have to know HW1 and HW2 to understand who Jerome is and why he is so significant. It is my belief that 343 responded to this flak by agreeing to make H6 simpler and more Chief-centric. The problem with this though, is that the franchise may now be married to Chief as the main character to the very end, because 343 already tried to pull away from him and got major criticism for it.

You could argue that 343 just didn't do it right in H5, and Locke wasn't worthy of that mantle, which he wasn't, but the end result is the same: Chief is the main character and there's not much to do about it unless 343 wants to take yet another risk and try to push another character to the forefront. I think 343 would have more success with Jerome taking up that mantle, but I've pointed out above why that could be problematic and risky for 343.
Nalla78 wrote:
I agree with you OP. My personal thoughts would be a Spartan 5 program that are completely inspired by the H2/3 Chief Armor design and would revere Chief with respect/ inspire to be him.
Spoiler:
Show
That's not ENTIRELY true because the same would be said for the few variations that were created during the S-II and S-III era. It's not so much a lack of uniform as it is just an identification system. There are certain armors that allow personnel to immediately identify what your role, task, or specialty lies in. Such as E.V.A. wearers and E.O.D. wearers.

It's true there are a LOT of different variants now a days, but again, it's a personalization for the Spartans who don't really NEED to look like they rolled off a factory assembly line. In fact; there's a substantial difference between how the 2's armored up and how the 4's armor up simply because of how advanced the UNSC has become since 2525. When the Mark IV Gen 1 was perfected, it was a rather dark time; worlds were being lost and people were dying by the hundreds of thousands if not millions. The armor was designed for a simple purpose: to protect the wearer from harsh environments. The Mark V simply upgraded on this mindset but with an integrated shielding system and the VI just improved from that as well with better shielding and tougher plating as well as a whole new gel layer that could adaptively repair damage done to both the suit and its wearer on the battlefield. Different variants including the Rogue, the E.O.D., the C.Q.B., the ODST variant meant mostly FOR ODST's but adaptively purposed for specific groups as well, the Scout, and even Security variants were ONI's attempts to stretch out and provide visual intel to anyone they were engaging with that they are part of a specific task force.

While not ALL variants that exist have a priority tagged to them, they can still be helpful in visual intel on the battlefield seeing as Spartans no longer display their call number on their chest plate. If Majestic was on the battlefield and something caused their HUD to malfunction making it impossible for their suits to read IFF's and they all looked the same, that would make it difficult to make life saving call outs.
Nalla78 wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
That's not ENTIRELY true because the same would be said for the few variations that were created during the S-II and S-III era. It's not so much a lack of uniform as it is just an identification system. There are certain armors that allow personnel to immediately identify what your role, task, or specialty lies in. Such as E.V.A. wearers and E.O.D. wearers.

It's true there are a LOT of different variants now a days, but again, it's a personalization for the Spartans who don't really NEED to look like they rolled off a factory assembly line. In fact; there's a substantial difference between how the 2's armored up and how the 4's armor up simply because of how advanced the UNSC has become since 2525. When the Mark IV Gen 1 was perfected, it was a rather dark time; worlds were being lost and people were dying by the hundreds of thousands if not millions. The armor was designed for a simple purpose: to protect the wearer from harsh environments. The Mark V simply upgraded on this mindset but with an integrated shielding system and the VI just improved from that as well with better shielding and tougher plating as well as a whole new gel layer that could adaptively repair damage done to both the suit and its wearer on the battlefield. Different variants including the Rogue, the E.O.D., the C.Q.B., the ODST variant meant mostly FOR ODST's but adaptively purposed for specific groups as well, the Scout, and even Security variants were ONI's attempts to stretch out and provide visual intel to anyone they were engaging with that they are part of a specific task force.

While not ALL variants that exist have a priority tagged to them, they can still be helpful in visual intel on the battlefield seeing as Spartans no longer display their call number on their chest plate. If Majestic was on the battlefield and something caused their HUD to malfunction making it impossible for their suits to read IFF's and they all looked the same, that would make it difficult to make life saving call outs.
Absolutely correct. However; when you see 117 he is always in some form of the Mark armors. Red Team in halo wars also s-II was entirely in Mark IV. The intro for h4 shown a multitude of presumed s-II in their Mark suits. Besides extended lore and Blue team the spartan 2s have been fair uniform in their armor choice in the games. Whilst fire team Majestic, Castle, Lancer, Switchback, (probably a few other from h4 that I forgot) and Osiris all wore different armor. Besides the Recruit armor I couldn’t find any spartan 4s wearing anything remotely similar.
Nalla78 wrote:
Nalla78 wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

Absolutely correct. However; when you see 117 he is always in some form of the Mark armors. Red Team in halo wars also s-II was entirely in Mark IV. The intro for h4 shown a multitude of presumed s-II in their Mark suits. Besides extended lore and Blue team the spartan 2s have been fair uniform in their armor choice in the games. Whilst fire team Majestic, Castle, Lancer, Switchback, (probably a few other from h4 that I forgot) and Osiris all wore different armor. Besides the Recruit armor I couldn’t find any spartan 4s wearing anything remotely similar.
Actually, once they stepped out of Mark IV, Blue Team took on varying armor types I do believe. As for Red Team? Well, they're technically still rocking their Mark IV's from 2525, Isabel just updated their firmware to better situate them with the new tech. Most of the Spartan-II's did in fact wear the Mark IV, V, and VI armor, looking very similar to one another with the difference being their color. However, there were a few that changed to different variants and there are those who mixed and matched armor (Omega Team) for whatever purpose that served their needs.

But yes, Osiris, Majestic, Switchback, many Spartan-IV's if not every Spartan-IV has a differing set of armor, making most of them stand out. 343i has likely done this to make each Spartan-IV seem unique. If everyone looked like Chief, then that's self explanatory; everyone would look like Chief. 343i likely wanted most of them to stand out, hence the different armors.
i wouldn't mind a new protagonist. i like noble 6 and the rookie and i also didn't mind locke. to me the important part is the story and chief was (more or less) intended as a vessel for the player to take part in it, at least thats how i felt about him and i think the rookie and noble 6 were designed in the same way.
locke they tried to charackterise, but to me he also felt more or less just like a vessel. also every other charackter in h5 was just boring or a no-charackter-at-all without expanded lore (which i'm not familiar with).
maybe so many people like chief, bc it was easy to project yourself on him (i mean, thats the reason i liked him too).
but, like already mentioned, i wouldn't mind a new charackter.

edit: maybe chief is overused. at some point it starts to feel like (almost) nothing of importance can happen without the chief taking at least some part in it, which is just unrealistic and a bit ridiculus. i know, in EU it's probably different, but i'm talking about chief being the protagonist for every game (which isn't the case, i know... reach, ODST, 5). what i try to say is: show different angles of the story with different protagonists.
If Halo moves on from MC then I will too move on from Halo. Halo is about MC to me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2