Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

I don't think Infinite will be fully open-world

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Ever since its announcement, people have wondered if Halo Infinite will be the first fully open-world Halo game. The wording on the 343 site says this,
Quote:
Alive with Excitement: A living, breathing world ripe for exploration and endless gameplay possibilities.
This wording makes it seem like that yes, the game will be fully-open world. I don't think the game will be open-world, but rather have massive environments. This will be similar to missions in Halo: CE like Halo, Silent Cartographer, and Assault on the Control Room. The levels are huge, but there is still a linear story to follow and objectives. I don't think it'll be fully-open world as that's usually for single-player only games, yet Halo Infinite will have multiplayer. Just my thoughts, what do you think?
That description sounds a lot like Monster Hunter’s pseudo open world. For those who didn’t play, you can travel to 5 different environments from a central hub. The environments are huge and full of wildlife systems that make the world feel like a living and constantly changing setting. Perhaps in Halo Infinite you can explore huge segments of the ring, that have similar systems making each expedition different.
That description sounds a lot like Monster Hunter’s pseudo open world. For those who didn’t play, you can travel to 5 different environments from a central hub. The environments are huge and full of wildlife systems that make the world feel like a living and constantly changing setting. Perhaps in Halo Infinite you can explore huge segments of the ring, that have similar systems making each expedition different.
How would you have the Campaign work?
Not sure about open world but they need to do less linear maps since Halo CE had amazing maps that allowed plenty of exploration, yet they weren't open world while 4,5 were too linear.
ronnie42 wrote:
Not sure about open world but they need to do less linear maps since Halo CE had amazing maps that allowed plenty of exploration, yet they weren't open world while 4,5 were too linear.
Yeah, I'd love if a ton of the missions are like CE, though I wouldn't mind a couple being linear.
ronnie42 wrote:
Yeah, I'd love if a ton of the missions are like CE, though I wouldn't mind a couple being linear.
I'm not sure about this. A linear mission can sort of work but only up to a certain point like how the bridges in Halo 2 were great because we had to go somewhere and fight anything that was firing from the air but what irritates me mostly is those campaigns where the maps are so linear that it's extremely difficult to avoid kill boundaries, it's the same problem with multiplayer too since it makes the map feel poorly designed since I've played maps in H5 where I barely touch a small bit of water, magically my Ghost blows up.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I'm not sure about this. A linear mission can sort of work but only up to a certain point like how the bridges in Halo 2 were great because we had to go somewhere and fight anything that was firing from the air but what irritates me mostly is those campaigns where the maps are so linear that it's extremely difficult to avoid kill boundaries, it's the same problem with multiplayer too since it makes the map feel poorly designed since I've played maps in H5 where I barely touch a small bit of water, magically my Ghost blows up.
If there’s huge environments, do you think it’ll take place entirely on Zeta Halo.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
If there’s huge environments, do you think it’ll take place entirely on Zeta Halo.
I suspect they might since it might mean the artists don't need to worry as much at making drastically different environments, which is why I believe we might get to see a lot more wild life than previous Halo games but I'm sure we'll still get asset rips from previous games so fans can use them in Forge.

Plus I think Forge might finally get a proper terrain editor, that will certainly changes things, hopefully less limitations since I'd love to be able to be able to create levels like in Reach but with H5's new features and some new stuff like AI, hopefully no kill boundaries since I lost track of how many times my Monitor died because my game couldn't cope with me being accidentally being pushed into a kill boundary then instantly killed, oddly 4,5 are the only one's where that was more common.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I suspect they might since it might mean the artists don't need to worry as much at making drastically different environments, which is why I believe we might get to see a lot more wild life than previous Halo games but I'm sure we'll still get asset rips from previous games so fans can use them in Forge.

Plus I think Forge might finally get a proper terrain editor, that will certainly changes things, hopefully less limitations since I'd love to be able to be able to create levels like in Reach but with H5's new features and some new stuff like AI, hopefully no kill boundaries since I lost track of how many times my Monitor died because my game couldn't cope with me being accidentally being pushed into a kill boundary then instantly killed, oddly 4,5 are the only one's where that was more common.
Ah man I hope we get to visit other planets, though if it's visually stunning I'm fine with it.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Ah man I hope we get to visit other planets, though if it's visually stunning I'm fine with it.
It might be nice but if we have a terrain editor in Forge, a Skybox editor then in theory we could make amazing planets plus be cool if they gave us some control over camera too since be nice if we could make a classic RE style map with Spartans fighting Flood with classic tank controls.

Also Halo Infinite hopefully looks as good as Far Cry 5's editor since they can even make roads too plus be cool to place water in certain places too, we could create open world style maps. Plus a lot the presets they use in Halo Infinite could carry over to Forge too. Also I think the Infinite campaign might be on the Infinity too so I suspect we might get to navigate Infinity's direction like in Mass Effect since it be great if we could recruit factions to help fight back against Cortana.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
It might be nice but if we have a terrain editor in Forge, a Skybox editor then in theory we could make amazing planets plus be cool if they gave us some control over camera too since be nice if we could make a classic RE style map with Spartans fighting Flood with classic tank controls.

Also Halo Infinite hopefully looks as good as Far Cry 5's editor since they can even make roads too plus be cool to place water in certain places too, we could create open world style maps. Plus a lot the presets they use in Halo Infinite could carry over to Forge too. Also I think the Infinite campaign might be on the Infinity too so I suspect we might get to navigate Infinity's direction like in Mass Effect since it be great if we could recruit factions to help fight back against Cortana.
With the environments teeming with wildlife, could you see them rush into an encounter during a mission?
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

With the environments teeming with wildlife, could you see them rush into an encounter during a mission?
Yeh that would be fun to place animals too, then you could have death battles like Flood vs Hunters, etc...similar to this.
Plus big open world maps....could finally mean the return of the Scarab, be pretty fun to spawn them or finally get to ride them in the campaign like in H2, H3.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Yeh that would be fun to place animals too, then you could have death battles like Flood vs Hunters, etc...similar to this.
Plus big open world maps....could finally mean the return of the Scarab, be pretty fun to spawn them or finally get to ride them in the campaign like in H2, H3.
Would be interesting if we're fighting Covenant or Prometheans, when all the sudden those deer-like or rhino-like animals stampede into the fight.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Would be interesting if we're fighting Covenant or Prometheans, when all the sudden those deer-like or rhino-like animals stampede into the fight.
Love to see some infighting, I remember Doom used to do this thing where they would fight each other if they accidentally shot someone else so be nice to see the Grunts accidentally shot an Elite, then the Grunt would start bragging. lol
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Love to see some infighting, I remember Doom used to do this thing where they would fight each other if they accidentally shot someone else so be nice to see the Grunts accidentally shot an Elite, then the Grunt would start bragging. lol
That'd be funny XD Would you have the missions go in linear order like the others (aside from ODST)?
Personally I just don't see how Halo Infinite can have a "Chief centered story" with an open world.

As you said I think the environments will be large and expansive, I just don't see them taking Halo in that direction.
Personally I just don't see how Halo Infinite can have a "Chief centered story" with an open world.

As you said I think the environments will be large and expansive, I just don't see them taking Halo in that direction.
Yeah, and I think with it being both Campaign and multiplayer, that it won't go open world. Also, I don't know if most fans would be cool with it.

Not sure why it wouldn't, many games are quite large these days and generally have a good story...it's all about handling it correctly. The problem with H5's story...wasn't lack of Chief but poor execution of how it was handled...Halo 2 proved a mix of stories can work, that's why so many people loved the Arbiter in H2,3.

For a story to work...it can't all be about the Chief but about the world since he's a man of few words plus a bigger sandbox means less annoying boundaries, more world building to make the story more believable.
It would probably function like destiny or mass effect if i had to guess....
Regice554 wrote:
It would probably function like destiny or mass effect if i had to guess....
I would hope it's like the previous Campaigns, just in much bigger levels, and not repeated.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3