I love the new art style!

OP PurpleHaze4796

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
BANGHART wrote:
BANGHART wrote:
It looks bad. arms and legs are too fat. and the hands are wrong.

you guys had it right the first trailer. it was 100% perfect. this new design sucks. Halo CE was bulky too, but the design was more practical. it looked like a big piece of military hardware. this is what 343 cannot seem to grasp correctly. this looks like a sci fi anime version of chief.

I dont understand why 343 has to put a weird spin on everything. it does not look better than the old designs. I guess people just want things to be "new"
Your expectations seem unrealistic. I love classic Halo but even I don't expect 343 to please everyone. At least they are noticeably trying to listen this time.

Also, they never claimed to be using the old stuff again. Not sure where you got that or the 'bait and switch' idea from. Last years teaser of Chief's helmet and leg armor was pretty consistent to this year's E3 full-armor reveal. I think you're just attempting ways to justify why you're upset, even if they aren't actually true.
"Your expectations seem unrealistic."

how?? I simply want them to use the old model from halo 3. This is a very simple request and very realistic.

Quote:
"Also, they never claimed to be using the old stuff again. Not sure where you got that or the 'bait and switch' idea from. Last years teaser of Chief's helmet and leg armor was pretty consistent to this year's E3 full-armor reveal. I thinkyou're just attempting ways to justify why you're upset, even if they aren't actually true."
No it wasn't. Just because YOU cannot tell the difference does not mean they aren't different. Like I said before the people that are defending this choice would have not even cared were it the other way around. You cant even tell the difference anyway so why not just change it back for those who can.
BANGHART wrote:
BANGHART wrote:
BANGHART wrote:
It looks bad. arms and legs are too fat. and the hands are wrong.

you guys had it right the first trailer. it was 100% perfect. this new design sucks. Halo CE was bulky too, but the design was more practical. it looked like a big piece of military hardware. this is what 343 cannot seem to grasp correctly. this looks like a sci fi anime version of chief.

I dont understand why 343 has to put a weird spin on everything. it does not look better than the old designs. I guess people just want things to be "new"
Your expectations seem unrealistic. I love classic Halo but even I don't expect 343 to please everyone. At least they are noticeably trying to listen this time.

Also, they never claimed to be using the old stuff again. Not sure where you got that or the 'bait and switch' idea from. Last years teaser of Chief's helmet and leg armor was pretty consistent to this year's E3 full-armor reveal. I think you're just attempting ways to justify why you're upset, even if they aren't actually true.
"Your expectations seem unrealistic."

how?? I simply want them to use the old model from halo 3. This is a very simple request and very realistic.

Quote:
"Also, they never claimed to be using the old stuff again. Not sure where you got that or the 'bait and switch' idea from. Last years teaser of Chief's helmet and leg armor was pretty consistent to this year's E3 full-armor reveal. I thinkyou're just attempting ways to justify why you're upset, even if they aren't actually true."
No it wasn't. Just because YOU cannot tell the difference does not mean they aren't different. Like I said before the people that are defending this choice would have not even cared were it the other way around. You cant even tell the difference anyway so why not just change it back for those who can.
343 won't cater to the request of one fan. They try to cater to the community as a whole. Understand that.
And the majority of feedback has approved the redesign, so I don't see 343 wanting or needing to change it now.

Also I didn't say it was the exact same. I'm aware of the slight changes but overall, the armor is still consistent with last year's E3 teaser. I'm surprised as a fan of the Halo 3 armor that you are this upset. I'm a big fan of that armor too and just happy to have something like it again, after what we got in Halo 4 and 5.
It is not "new", in fact they are using old stuff back. I think 343 put themselves in a difficult situation doing this. First they change everything in Halo 4, then change everything again in Halo Infinite. Of course, we have not seen everything yet, just engine trailers and no gameplay. But for me, mixing the two styles is the smartest choice they can make, bring all eras together so the feeling that things just disappears and reappears with no reason would be fixed. Let's wait and see how they'll do it.
That is exactly what they are doing. It's definitely a new blend of the armors.
The body armor is a direct mix of Halo 3's and Forward Unto Dawn's. And the Helmet blends both the Halo 3 and 4 designs.

Both are taking heavy influence from the original trilogy and I think that was smart of them.
They are restoring Halo's recognizable identity and giving fans what they've asked for. Not sure how you don't see that.
I know they are doing what many people asked for. I just think 343 are basically retconing the new art style in order to bring the old back. Just like they done when Halo 4 came out, it's too abrupt change.
When I say mixing I mean real mixing. In Halo Wars 2 for example you could identify things that are from both eras and still they coexist fine together. From what we have seen right now, Halo Infinite looks straight up Halo 3. The changes are barely noticeable.
That's fair but I don't really have empathy for Halo 4/5's art style at all. That change was extremely abrupt from the series' identity and a clear mistake. Halo Infinite looks like a needed return to what was already established first. No crime in that.

Also, if you watch the BTS video for the E3 2018 trailer, you'll notice they went about Infinite's art style in a very similar way as Halo Wars 2. The silhouettes of everything are familiar and inspired by classic designs. But details are new and completely fresh. The back of Chief's helmet is a great example - it's directly inspired from Halo 4, and has some new details as well.
I'm almost sure the Helmet design from the E3 2018 is different from E3 2019. The 2018 was a bit of a mix, but the 2019 is everything Halo 3. Rough comparison.The thing I think Halo needs is consistency right now. Character changes and inconsistencies, story changes, art design changes, gameplay changes. Along the way too many changes were made and it kinda hurted the worldbuilding of Halo. What I think 343 needs to do now is to focus on a single direction and go with it and the best way to do it is to still keep everything that happened canon and stop doing retcons, lazy lore explanations and stop making things disappear and put everything aboard to the Halo moving forward.
I've seen that comparison floating around and also the actual screenshots they were made from.
The angle of those two helmets are definitely different. So certain things will appear slightly different or totally absent between the two. Overall, the helmet is new and has differences from the Halo 3 version - the tubes on each side, the visor shape ... the back is completely Halo 4/5 inspired.

As far as the retcon/inconsistency issues, I understand what you mean and agree. But I see what 343 is doing with Infinite as the right decision. Halo 4/5 broke away from the consistency that was already established. In my eyes, this feels like a return to the worldbuilding all fans of the original trilogy are familiar with. They're making clear efforts to do that specifically. So I'm okay with these changes if it gives me back the franchise I can recognize.
I agree with some others: we haven't seen enough yet. But what we have seen, I do tend to favor.

Granted, I was even more optimistic about the visual direction the E3 2018 reveal trailer seemed to indicate than I am about what we saw in "Discover Hope," this year. That seemed to be much more directly reminiscent of Halo 3, and Halo 3 represents the most triumphant peak of the series to me and a lot of other players.

The movement away from the straight-up MkVI looking Chief armor to something that feels a lot more blended with FUD/"The Package," represents a step in the wrong direction for me. Still, I prefer the classic vibe to the Halo 4-5 aesthetic - even though I personally do like the Chief armor in those games, it's got a stank on it from just having been a symbol of that polarizing era in the history of the series.
The Art Design was not a problem, it was all the trailer clichés, we have seen them before.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2