1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
LarsBars wrote:
So then what’s the point? I don’t see any reason for them to include a sprint animation without increasing your movement speed.
The only reason I can think of is to really take Halo: Infinite gameplay "back to roots" and unite the fanbase. A sprinting animation is good enough for people coming from other shooters to have good feels. And if it doesn't actually do anything then it can't break gameplay. Win-win.

Big if true.
It can't unite the fanbase if half of the fanbase wants legitimate spiriting. All that would do is please the other half, and leave the other half disappointed. Personally I don't mind if the game has sprint or if it doesn't... but either way, half of the fanbase will be upset no matter the case.
LarsBars wrote:
Okay folks, I reviewed the gameplay over and over, played it back at 50% speed, and I am now more convinced than ever that sprint is simply an animation, and does not increase the player's forward running speed. When I watch it over and over again, I do not see the signs that the player is moving faster. Only that the player's view starts bobbing up and down. All sprint does is make the view and weapon start to bob up and down, and lower the weapon.
  • Movement speed does not appear to be increased while sprinting.
  • The player can throw equipment with zero penalty while sprinting.
  • The player can use grapple with zero penalty while sprinting.
  • The player can melee attack with zero penalty while sprinting.
  • The player can shoot with zero penalty while sprinting.
7 imgur gifs that prove that Halo: Infinite probably does not have sprint
So then what’s the point? I don’t see any reason for them to include a sprint animation without increasing your movement speed.
This.
I'm not 100% convince this is true... but if it is they have solved the issue. People who want sprint only want to feel like they are going fast. If sprint doesn't actually do anything this will bring back classic gameplay since now sprint isn't really a mechanic that would affect gameplay like the last 3 games. It's also there for those who think they need it. I pray that you are right.
I think you do move faster but only very slightly. We also don't know if they pushed the stick all the way up while sprinting. Maybe they intentionally sprinted slower for smoother footage?
Good call we can't say for sure yet. But I would say the lack of the time penalties for shooting and equipment (usually implemented for balance) are compelling evidence.
tsassi wrote:
I think it's fair to say that the speed increase is at best very moderate, but I don't believe the footage here is sufficient to demonstrate that there is no speed increase, because if the acceleration is very minor, you can't really tell by eye. We'll have to wait for more information.

I share the skepticism with others about why have a sprint animation if it's purely cosmetic? I know this idea has been thrown around before, but pretty much always tongue in cheek because everyone understands that an animation with no gameplay purpose is pointless. I also feel like, if I were a sprint fan (and an actual sprint fan can correct me if I'm wrong), that this would feel extremely patronizing, as if I couldn't tell the difference.
i am a sprint fan and you remember the humongous thread where it has showing that about sprint mechanic that the communety is split about it in the halo game's.
that removing or staying like it was in halo 4 and halo 5 was also no option.
what there have showing in the campaign trailer is something there have found a good belance in.
and i think that a lot off sprint fans are all happy that its 5% faster then normal walking or its cosmetic since there for then its not a shooter game without sprint there know from other shooters there have play.
and its also good for the new players.

but what also for most off the players is a problem if its a cosmetic part to keep both side's happy is that some still hate it and wane see it gone for good that its maybe cosmetic or not there not wane see it in the game that thats also something you maybe have read on the humongous thread about sprint.

if its cosmetic or not thats something we only know when the game is release to see it for own eye's or 343 most tell the info about it if its cosmetic or not.
We haven't seen enough footage of sprinting to comment one way or another.
It could just be slower going up hill or with larger weapons for all we know.
I have one problem... slide
how are you suppose to slide without sprint?
This is a dumb idea but... what if there is a upgrade that makes your base movement speed the same as sprint? We already know that the multiplayer is going to be mechanically different than the campaign so it’s possible they take that upgrade and make it the default in multiplayer. It’s a dumb idea but it’s totally possible that sprint is just a illusion to trick people who are new to halo.
Darwi wrote:
I guess we don't really know the BMS and how it compares to previous games.

But if you are moving at a running speed it makes sense to animate it as such.

But if you are stop / starting / shooting it also makes sense to have a gradual transition from these movements into the running animation... otherwise it could be a tad jarring.

And it could be a good compromise. Have a higher overall BMS that takes a few seconds to build up to (you can still throw / shoot as needed)... but when you stop you have a slightly slower BMS / strafe to maintain a playable speed during combat. I know people have suggest such things before in the sprinting threads - but I had never really thought about it as a mechanic where the difference is a bit more subtle (I may have to stew over it for a bit).
You mean that the sprint animation would appear after something like 2-3 seconds of moving forward, without any additional input?
If the speed boost is minimal, maybe it could be a good solution: ok for campaign, with much less impact on map design in multiplayer.

I'd rather have sprint simply gone, but if this is the compromise we have to deal with in HI.. well let's try to be positive.
On one hand a sprint animation with or without a marginal speed increase... can be seen as useless.

On the other hand we know that speed is an illusion. Animations, field of view, motion blur etc. Halo 3 was fast but felt slow. Maybe Halo 6 is fast but will feel faster... and a sprint animation is part of that.

And we don't have enough info yet. Maybe if you hold your stick to the edge you will gradually speed up even more. Enough to move around the open world with a sense of speed... but not enough to ever really open up full throttle in arena.
SoreSaturn wrote:
Maybe slide isn't really sliding but more like evade from reach and replaces thrust. That way you can only use it while on the ground. Idk though. It did look like slide but I also heard someone say there was an evade mechanic in the reveal.
Darwi wrote:
On the other hand we know that speed is an illusion. Animations, field of view, motion blur etc. Halo 3 was fast but felt slow. Maybe Halo 6 is fast but will feel faster... and a sprint animation is part of that.
Except the problem here seems to be that everyone is commenting on how slow the sprint looks. The illusion is not really working.
tsassi wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Except the problem here seems to be that everyone is commenting on how slow the sprint looks. The illusion is not really working.
the movement in the whole gameplay trailer ( the stafing of the enemies too) felt a little slow. 5-10% speed increase for all characters would fix this and make the sprint animation feel right.
SoreSaturn wrote:
the slide is just a differently animated thrust in this case.
SoreSaturn wrote:
Not having sprint frees up a button. You can bind it to that. Alternatively, it can be on whatever button was freed by removal of Thruster Pack. I mean, it's a functionally similar mechanic already. Other alternatives are crouch tap, or double tap.
As others have said, I thought it was still there, but needed and actually flows better with combat so it enhances rather than stops it, which is better imo.
LarsBars wrote:
Okay folks, I reviewed the gameplay over and over, played it back at 50% speed, and I am now more convinced than ever that sprint is simply an animation, and does not increase the player's forward running speed. When I watch the gameplay, I do not see the signs that the player is moving faster. It appears that all sprint does is make the player camera and weapon start to bob up and down, and lower the weapon.
Ya I noticed the same. Looks more like an animation to think you are sprinting when you're walking longer than 5 seconds. No idea what they are going to do. They should just take out the animation and make the movement speed as fast as halo 3. Doesn't bother me though
LarsBars wrote:
Okay folks, I reviewed the gameplay over and over, played it back at 50% speed, and I am now more convinced than ever that sprint is simply an animation, and does not increase the player's forward running speed. When I watch it over and over again, I do not see the signs that the player is moving faster. Only that the player's view starts bobbing up and down. All sprint does is make the view and weapon start to bob up and down, and lower the weapon.
It could be simply for immersion reasons. Kinda like lowering your gun in destiny when you remain idle. Except in this case its when you are moving in full speed. To me it makes sense because Imo having the spartan aiming the whole always looked kinda dorky.
I'll be REALLY surprised if this were the case.

I'm certain MP will have it as the entire game has once again been built around sprint, ADS style zooming and clamber. We are going have people running up and meleeing again like in Reach... We are going to have many times where we say "why can't my Spartan grab that??? Like we did in 5 and there are going to be lots of times where we have lots of "dead time" aka all we are doing is sprinting and nothing else because the game has been built around sprint and clamber.

I'm really curious to see what MP looks like and what they'll do but they better not pull this whole "And for you classic fans out there we have this playlist that's full of forge maps and weapons that aren't meant for this style of gameplay" 🙄 because that's just insulting.

Pretty much the multiplayer is going to be Halo 5 without Ground pound,Spartan charge and Hover.

Unless they do something with multiplayer that totally blows me away I think Halo infinite will be similar to Halo 5 popularity and sales wise but It will have better numbers in both because it's also on PC now.
LarsBars wrote:
Point is. The mobility is a lie. Halo 5 actually had some depth to it. This? Looks like a toy. Functions like a toy and brings the same illusions a toy gives you.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5