OP LarsBars

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
That’s even worse if they just throwed sprint animation in with no effect to it.
That’s like mocking the Halo fanbase.
It could be simply for immersion reasons. Kinda like lowering your gun in destiny when you remain idle. Except in this case its when you are moving in full speed. To me it makes sense because Imo having the spartan aiming the whole always looked kinda dorky.
Yeah exactly. And if this is truly just an animation, then there really could be an on/off switch in preferences, to show the animation or not show it.
There does seem to be a slide as well, so maybe it's so you can do that. I'm a little skeptical on it not increasing your speed, however you do seem to be right that is doesn't slow down any other combat animation like 4 and 5 did.

We should all keep in mind that in the map screen we see Upgrades as 1 of the tabs. It's possible that Movement speed can be increases.

I also think we shouldn't take what we see in this demo as confermation of anything in MP.
Lanzerat wrote:
That’s even worse if they just throwed sprint animation in with no effect to it.
I don't think it's mocking. Lowering the weapon has a visual advantage. It would be a great way to both 'have sprint' and 'not have sprint' and would bring a lot of players in.
The fake sprint animation is the best we can hope for. It would be nice to finally have no sprint again.
I’m fine with sprint but like 5% or less movement increase. No other associated effects or penalties. Crisis averted.
Snockooz wrote:
There does seem to be a slide as well, so maybe it's so you can do that. I'm a little skeptical on it not increasing your speed, however you do seem to be right that is doesn't slow down any other combat animation like 4 and 5 did.

We should all keep in mind that in the map screen we see Upgrades as 1 of the tabs. It's possible that Movement speed can be increases.

I also think we shouldn't take what we see in this demo as confermation of anything in MP.
If sprint has no movement increase, it was probably added exactly for that.
LarsBars wrote:
Lanzerat wrote:
I don't think it's mocking. Lowering the weapon has a visual advantage. It would be a great way to both 'have sprint' and 'not have sprint' and would bring a lot of players in.
A visual advantage in the sense that you see more of your screen instead of your gun? The brain compensates for the space behind the gun, and when the gun goes down it must come back up to shoot...this is one of the main gripes of sprint.

I really hope this gun lowering is NOT the result of the stick at full tilt...this would be a nightmare to control in MP.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
The game isn't dead lol
I really hope this gun lowering is NOT the result of the stick at full tilt...this would be a nightmare to control in MP.
I agree. I feel like if sprint is truly just an animation, it would be appropriate for it to be disabled. Borderlands has an option to disable the camera shake while sprinting.
LarsBars wrote:
So then what’s the point? I don’t see any reason for them to include a sprint animation without increasing your movement speed.
The only reason I can think of is to really take Halo: Infinite gameplay "back to roots" and unite the fanbase. A sprinting animation is good enough for people coming from other shooters to have good feels. And if it doesn't actually do anything then it can't break gameplay. Win-win.

Big if true.
Or by including a 'sprint animation' they can tune it up or down. If it's not in at all then that bridge is burnt and there's no going back without a huge patch.
You could just... not use it? Sprint is the last thing I would complain about in any game. I honestly don't know which argument is worse, the one about Halo having sprint, or the graphics of Halo Infinite being "bad". Another thing that annoys me is that they're complaining about grappling hooks and all this new stuff, like they don't want change or anything.
MoonfireBD wrote:
You could just... not use it? Sprint is the last thing I would complain about in any game. I honestly don't know which argument is worse, the one about Halo having sprint, or the graphics of Halo Infinite being "bad". Another thing that annoys me is that they're complaining about grappling hooks and all this new stuff, like they don't want change or anything.
You have a fair point. You are thinking from a campaign perspective, which is fair because it was a campaign reveal.

I'm thinking about it from a wholistic game play reveal perspective. Because if 343i had doubled down on sprint, ADS, charge, thrusters... to me it would send the message that 343i is not really making fundamental changes to bringing Halo back to it's roots.

I actually believe that 343i is doing this though. ADS is out, which is a big move. That's why I created this thread about sprint. If ADS and sprint are both functionally OUT, I believe the game has moved back to it's roots, and this is going to be an exciting time for Halo.
MoonfireBD wrote:
You could just... not use it? Sprint is the last thing I would complain about in any game.
Yup, let's not use the mechanic that the game is built around and therefore not move at the speed the maps are designed for.
Also, never mind all the other problems with sprint, like how it breaks the flow of combat or that it's a speed boost only in forward direction with reduced turn radius.
After all, that's how it's always been: If you didn't like dual wielding or spartan charge, you could simply choose to not use it. It's not like other players would still use it against you... oh wait...
MoonfireBD wrote:
Sprint fundamentally changes the game of Halo, that is why the mechanic is detested in Halo. The graphics, however, I would not worry about at all. 343 has always done well with graphics imo, so I am sure they will make this game beautiful.
I mean... I wouldn't complain about sprinting being removed.
Celestis wrote:
MoonfireBD wrote:
You could just... not use it? Sprint is the last thing I would complain about in any game.
Yup, let's not use the mechanic that the game is built around and therefore not move at the speed the maps are designed for.
Also, never mind all the other problems with sprint, like how it breaks the flow of combat or that it's a speed boost only in forward direction with reduced turn radius.
After all, that's how it's always been: If you didn't like dual wielding or spartan charge, you could simply choose to not use it. It's not like other players would still use it against you... oh wait...
Maybe you should take the nostalgia goggles off. Not every game sequel has to be the exact same, it's gonna have to have some change sometime, funny how people are always making an argument... over a small movement feature.
MoonfireBD wrote:
Maybe you should take the nostalgia goggles off. Not every game sequel has to be the exact same, it's gonna have to have some change sometime, funny how people are always making an argument... over a small movement feature.
Please don't attack people directly, or discourage people from offering constructive criticism.

He was offering a defense against the "if you don't like it, just don't use it" fallacy. Despite your "it's a small feature" fallacy, the feature's presence in the game has ripple effects for all players, not just the ones who choose to use it. It's like saying, "if you don't like the rocket launcher, don't use it," but since it's a prominent part of the sandbox, you're going to get blown up by those who are using it.

Sprint has a profound effect on Halo, it's competitive community, and level design. A cosmetic sprint animation would be a fanstastic way to bridge these two parts of the fanbase and I sincerely hope that is what 343i has in mind.
LarsBars wrote:
MoonfireBD wrote:
Please don't attack people directly, or discourage people from offering constructive criticism.

He was offering a defense against the "if you don't like it, just don't use it" fallacy. Despite your "it's a small feature" fallacy, the feature's presence in the game has ripple effects for all players, not just the ones who choose to use it. It's like saying, "if you don't like the rocket launcher, don't use it," but since it's a prominent part of the sandbox, you're going to get blown up by those who are using it.

Sprint has a profound effect on Halo, it's competitive community, and level design. A cosmetic sprint animation would be a fanstastic way to bridge these two parts of the fanbase and I sincerely hope that is what 343i has in mind.
He also mentioned the spartan charge and dual wielding which just confuses me, sprint is a movement feature, not another weapon. I'm not saying the sprint is perfect but it's the last thing I would worry about.
This is a brilliant middle ground. Sprint has always been an "illusion" so to speak due to map stretching, so acknowledging that and treating as such instead of as a mechanic helps the gameplay loop be treated as though it were classic while letting people who said "we need sprint because super soldiers can run" get what they want as well. If true, this is the best possible outcome. If people have a stick up their -Yoink- about an animation then... welcome to the Halo community I guess.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5