Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

I really hope this game is not a halo 3 2.0 clone.

OP WARINATOR117

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Modod wrote:
Interesting, I think the ark was excellent visual story telling and the death of truth and 343gs were great story beats the stakes were high from the start and it just built into an epic finale, reach has some amazing story element and is probably better in that department. But mechanically I felt sages nerf spree was counter productive. I also felt utilities are far more in line with halos core than AAs. Halo has always been about picking up and swapping out toys on a moment to moment basis evaluating and adapting to situations by swapping out equipment. Halo3 equipment adhered to that where reach gave you a huge game altering ability and let you rely on it for an entire mission or mp match. Lots of games let you tailor to a playstyle but halo makes you tailor to an engagementon the fly something I find is a big part of the fun in the franchise.
I admit that Reach's multiplayer had its issues (looking at your armor lock) but the overall set and tone of the game set it part from me. The map and level design, the load out system and weaponry. The customisation was also wonderful. I truly had a lot of fun with Reach. In regards with story, I personally find H2 to be the best one. HCE comes close but it too, suffers from linearity and a lot reused levels. H2 was wonderful because we get to see the covenant perspective of the events unfurling around us and we talk to the flood as an actual entity. H2 solidified the threat of the flood as an intelligent and ancient entity as opposed to the space zombies they were in CEA. After talking to the grave mind, I realized how dangerous they were and it was reasonable for the forerunners to resort to the activation of the Halo array. I like CEA because of the gameplay moments it provided. The gravity lift battle in the truth and reconciliation mission, fighting with marines while the world around you was bathed in a purple light. The beach assault. The tank run. The horrors of the library, especially that closed room with a LOT of flood. Reach offered modularity and every MP battle felt like an actual military operation. Also, Invasion as a game-mode was something that I liked a lot. Each of these games has something that made it very unique and dear to me.
DonVinzone wrote:
That's like starting to worship the devil in a church in these forums.

But...
It's a bit true as well. H3 had a weird time jump that didn't make sense storywise. It promised a full out war...but we never really got more than another tease of something world threatening before heading off world again. It did almost nothing with the intricate story H2 set up and instead went back to "bad guys, shoot them" storytelling. Gravemind was criminally underused except for those horrible, flow breaking mindf--- moments. Even the whole Cortana thing wasn't an emotional thing, at all. Johnson dying that was a tear jerker, sure. And then we got to redo the Warthog run on a K'nex plates racing track.
It had its moments but the campaign has nothing on CE, 2, ODST and Reach.
Thank you very much (;_;)
You seem to prefer linear, dull and boring stories with no twists and turns.
No, I like the story of ODST well enough, and that's as non-linear as you can get. I just prefer good stories to bad ones.

No one expected that we would get to be the covenant.
Yes, we did. We knew they're a religious alliance even before Halo CE, as Fall of Reach released prior to the games. We knew of the existence of prophets. We even knew of the upcoming civil war, because fratricide between brutes and elites was mentioned before. What exactly was "new" about the covenant that the game introduced? Maybe the existence of the Arbiter, which had no relevancy to the plot. The story would have gone the exact same way if Thel 'Vadamee had been some random elite guy.

No one expected the final resting place of the ark portal. [...]H2 did tell us the final destination of the ark. Please play H2 again and watch it's ending cutscene. If you cannot deduce that it was earth then I must call into question your deductive abilities.
Wrong. All we knew was that the Halo rings could be remotely activated from a place called the Ark and that Truth was on his way to Earth. These two things weren't even connected, because as far as Truth knew, Tartarus had already activated the rings, as he instructed him to.
Stop changing the story to suit your own agenda.

See what I mean?
Yes, I see what you mean but that doesn't make it true.

H4's forerunners are far better than any other forerunner depiction
They pale in comparison to what has been seen in Halo Origins or even described in the Ark Terminals.

and they don't contradict Greg bear's book.
All of the encounters between the Didact and the Librarian didn't happen as depicted in the game. Either it couldn't have happened time-wise (as he should be in his Cryptum during these events) or location-wise (as he wasn't at the places where these events take place). The way the Didact was imprisoned on Requiem is also completely different; in the game, the Librarian does it herself, while in the books she orders Endurance-of-Will to do it. The main reason the for the books existence was to supplement the game that came out at the same time, yet 343 didn't care enough to make both of these things consistent with one another. The contradictions are so numerous that the canonicity of both the books and the Terminals was reduced by ivoking the unreliable narrator trope - but only years later. The Halo Wiki has entire paragraphs on this.

Random assertions seems to be a habit with you.
Oh, look.... it's the pot calling the kettle black.

H4's chief was not a "whiner" but the stark reality of what could happen to a person under prolonged mental duress. It is natural and to be expected and it finally showed chief in a different, more real light. This dynamic between man and machine is what set H4 apart. Your version is chief is a plain, hollow, empty character who shoots aliens in the face and nothing more.
"My" version of chief, as in, the one described in all of the external media, is the one that was raised as a soldier, learned the meaning of loss and sacrifice from a young age and was always strong-willed enough to keep going. He was competent leader that not only lost fellow spartans he grew up with, but even sent them to their deaths because he understood the need for the greater good. As such he grew stronger as a character. Halo 4's version is a madman that snaps because his Siri assistant breaks.

If you didn't understand Reach's underlying message if hopelessness and desperation then once again, I must call into question your perception of "emotion". New Alexandria perfectly captures the plight of Reach.
Oh, I understood completely well how clumsy the game tried to coax me into feeling sadness. It was just so on the nose it became laughable. It didn't have half of the finesse of, say, Sadie's story in ODST.

Once again, I could write pages upon pages but unfortunately I am restricted by word and post limits.
If you do so, I'd ask you to at least use factually correct statements from now on.

H2 solidified the threat of the flood as an intelligent and ancient entity as opposed to the space zombies they were in CEA. After talking to the grave mind, I realized how dangerous they were and it was reasonable for the forerunners to resort to the activation of the Halo array.
If that is how you felt, then it was you who didn't pay close enough attention to the story, because all of this was already well-known prior to Halo 2.
DonVinzone wrote:
That's like starting to worship the devil in a church in these forums.

But...
It's a bit true as well. H3 had a weird time jump that didn't make sense storywise. It promised a full out war...but we never really got more than another tease of something world threatening before heading off world again. It did almost nothing with the intricate story H2 set up and instead went back to "bad guys, shoot them" storytelling. Gravemind was criminally underused except for those horrible, flow breaking mindf--- moments. Even the whole Cortana thing wasn't an emotional thing, at all. Johnson dying that was a tear jerker, sure. And then we got to redo the Warthog run on a K'nex plates racing track.
It had its moments but the campaign has nothing on CE, 2, ODST and Reach.
Thank you very much (;_;)
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
Celestis wrote:
No, I like the story of ODST well enough, and that's as non-linear as you can get. I just prefer good stories to bad ones.

Yes, we did. We knew they're a religious alliance even before Halo CE, as Fall of Reach released prior to the games. We knew of the existence of prophets. We even knew of the upcoming civil war, because fratricide between brutes and elites was mentioned before. What exactly was "new" about the covenant that the game introduced? Maybe the existence of the Arbiter, which had no relevancy to the plot. The story would have gone the exact same way if Thel 'Vadamee had been some random elite guy.

Wrong. All we knew was that the Halo rings could be remotely activated from a place called the Ark and that Truth was on his way to Earth. These two things weren't even connected, because as far as Truth knew, Tartarus had already activated the rings, as he instructed him to.
Stop changing the story to suit your own agenda.

They pale in comparison to what has been seen in Halo Origins or even described in the Ark Terminals.

All of the encounters between the Didact and the Librarian didn't happen as depicted in the game. Either it couldn't have happened time-wise (as he should be in his Cryptum during these events) or location-wise (as he wasn't at the places where these events take place). The way the Didact was imprisoned on Requiem is also completely different; in the game, the Librarian does it herself, while in the books she orders Endurance-of-Will to do it. The main reason the for the books existence was to supplement the game that came out at the same time, yet 343 didn't care enough to make both of these things consistent with one another. The contradictions are so numerous that the canonicity of both the books and the Terminals was reduced by ivoking the unreliable narrator trope - but only years later. The Halo Wiki has entire paragraphs on this.

"My" version of chief, as in, the one described in all of the external media, is the one that was raised as a soldier, learned the meaning of loss and sacrifice from a young age and was always strong-willed enough to keep going. He was competent leader that not only lost fellow spatans he grew up with, but even sent them to their deaths because he understood the need for the greater good. As such he grew stronger as a character. Halo 4's version is a madman that snaps because his Siri assistant breaks.

Oh, I understood completely well how clumsy the game tried to coax me into feeling sadness. It was just so on the nose it became laughable. It didn't have half of the finesse of, say, Sadie's story in ODST.

If you do so, I'd ask you to at least use factually correct statements from now on.

If that is how you felt, then it was you who didn't pay close enough attention to the story, because all of this was already well-known prior to Halo 2.
Halo CE had a bare bones depiction of the flood. I didn't bring in the novels in the equation as not a lot of people read them. However, since you have read them, it will make things easier for the both of us. Halo 2 was the first GAME where we talked about the gravemind, which happened to be the first introduction to the proper intellect of the flood as opposed to the space zombies we see in CE. The earlier novels and CE claimed the flood was strong but we didn't witness their intellect in action in THE GAME, until we met the gravemind.

Chief, in the fall of reach is displayed as a human being capable of feeling. This is what makes a character human. The fact that a person does his duty despite everything they have been through. It's not that the Spartans don't feel, they do their duty despite it. This is what set H4 apart, chief's mentality and his obsession with his duty despite his mental health not in the best of conditions due to his prolonged isolation. The chief of Halo 4 is not different from the earlier iterations of chief. He still did his duty, it's just that the earlier iterations were dumb and mute to the inner workings of the chiefs mind whereas h4 gave us a glimpse of it.

What you refer to as "good stories" are nothing more than linear, dull and boring stories and there is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.

Once again, I played H2 a long time ago and I deduced instantly that the portal was on earth. It was being foreshadowed the entire game. Remember cortana saying "It looks like they were looking for something" referring to the covenant when they attacked earth. The final sequence and the look on everyone's face when 343gs was asked about the location of the ark confirmed it. Once again, if you were unable to deduce it then I must question your basic deductive abilities. It's not even that hard.

We knew the covenant to be a faction but before H2, IN THE GAMES, they were a very linear faction with no detail to them. Covies are the aliens that want to destroy humanity. Simple. H2 changed that and you get to play as the covenant, for a game, that is as novel as it can get.

The flood threat was not very evident before H2. I will be honest, I found fighting the flood quite easy in CE and as opposed to the covies, who were an intelligent species, I saw them as nothing less than space zombie. Yes, the novel claimed otherwise but we didn't see any evidence of its intelligence in the game until Gravemind.

I can't believe you are accusing 343 of not conforming to the novels given they have spent so much time to build up the lore and fix Bungie's -Yoink--ups. The same Bungie that established a canon and then threw it out of the window with the release of each new game. The canonicity of the novels has been fixed and since it is 343's world, they are free to use whatever trope they wish. It is not far fetched to assume that translation errors may creep up when attempting to translate a 100,000 year old language. Just because you can't wrap your head around it doesn't make it true. Linguistics is a very real field of study.

I have used factually correct information and all you have done is refute my claims without any proper evidence. So yes, my assertion still stands, your claims don't change a single thing.
Halo CE had a bare bones depiction of the flood. I didn't bring in the novels in the equation as not a lot of people read them. However, since you have read them, it will make things easier for the both of us. Halo 2 was the first GAME where we talked about the gravemind, which happened to be the first introduction to the proper intellect of the flood as opposed to the space zombies we see in CE. The earlier novels and CE claimed the flood was strong but we didn't witness their intellect in action in THE GAME, until we met the gravemind.
"The Flood are already hard at work repairing your vessel. Its parasitic nature belies the Flood's intelligence." - 343 Guilty Spark, The Library

What you refer to as "good stories" are nothing more than linear, dull and boring stories and there is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.
Of course not. Because that would mean admitting that you're wrong.

Once again, I played H2 a long time ago and I deduced instantly that the portal was on earth.

It was being foreshadowed the entire game. Remember cortana saying "It looks like they were looking for something" referring to the covenant when they attacked earth. The final sequence and the look on everyone's face when 343gs was asked about the location of the ark confirmed it. Once again, if you were unable to deduce it then I must question your basic deductive abilities. It's not even that hard.
1. You didn't deduce. You jumped to conclusions. There's a difference.
2. Before Halo 3 came out, nobody knew of a portal. We only ever first saw the portal in the Halo 3 announcement trailer and even then there was no clarificatrion what this object even was. Cortanas voiceover in the trailer (I am your Shield / I am your Sword) was also deliberately misleading in order to connect to Ghosts of Onyx (which first mentioned Shield and Sword worlds) and make people think that the Ark is a shield world, maybe even Earth itself. Guilty Spart even references this in the final game: "I always assumed it was part of a.... Shield installation, but it seems I was mistaken."

So you're either outright lying or your mind is retroactively altering your memories to reconceile reality with your opinion thereof.

We knew the covenant to be a faction but before H2, IN THE GAMES, they were a very linear faction with no detail to them. Covies are the aliens that want to destroy humanity. Simple. H2 changed that and you get to play as the covenant, for a game, that is as novel as it can get.
It's literally in the manual of Halo CE -.-

The flood threat was not very evident before H2. I will be honest, I found fighting the flood quite easy in CE and as opposed to the covies, who were an intelligent species, I saw them as nothing less than space zombie. Yes, the novel claimed otherwise but we didn't see any evidence of its intelligence in the game until Gravemind.
Again, this is because you didn't pay attention.

I can't believe you are accusing 343 of not conforming to the novels given they have spent so much time to build up the lore and fix Bungie's -Yoink--ups.
I'm not. They could have easily have the novels conform to the game. They chose to do neither.
And they didn't "fix" anything. All they did was completely botch the storyline by retconning the Foreunner-Flood-war as depicted into the terminals into a huge gigantic mess, then release various amounts of media that all contradict one another: Soma the Painter <-> Forerunner Trilogy <-> Halo 4. All for the sole reason of shoehorning the Didact into the next game, then killing him off in a comic. They then quietly tried to reconceile their screw-ups with one another by making them all secondary canon, not even in an official release but in a waypoint article.

I have used factually correct information and all you have done is refute my claims without any proper evidence. So yes, my assertion still stands, your claims don't change a single thing.
No, you are making stuff up as you go and so far have provided no single proof for your baseless claims.
I'm still waiting for this to change.
Celestis wrote:
Halo CE had a bare bones depiction of the flood. I didn't bring in the novels in the equation as not a lot of people read them. However, since you have read them, it will make things easier for the both of us. Halo 2 was the first GAME where we talked about the gravemind, which happened to be the first introduction to the proper intellect of the flood as opposed to the space zombies we see in CE. The earlier novels and CE claimed the flood was strong but we didn't witness their intellect in action in THE GAME, until we met the gravemind.
"The Flood are already hard at work repairing your vessel. Its parasitic nature belies the Flood's intelligence." - 343 Guilty Spark, The Library

What you refer to as "good stories" are nothing more than linear, dull and boring stories and there is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.
Of course not. Because that would mean admitting that you're wrong.

Once again, I played H2 a long time ago and I deduced instantly that the portal was on earth.

It was being foreshadowed the entire game. Remember cortana saying "It looks like they were looking for something" referring to the covenant when they attacked earth. The final sequence and the look on everyone's face when 343gs was asked about the location of the ark confirmed it. Once again, if you were unable to deduce it then I must question your basic deductive abilities. It's not even that hard.
1. You didn't deduce. You jumped to conclusions. There's a difference.
2. Before Halo 3 came out, nobody knew of a portal. We only ever first saw the portal in the Halo 3 announcement trailer and even then there was no clarificatrion what this object even was. Cortanas voiceover in the trailer (I am your Shield / I am your Sword) was also deliberately misleading in order to connect to Ghosts of Onyx (which first mentioned Shield and Sword worlds) and make people think that the Ark is a shield world, maybe even Earth itself. Guilty Spart even references this in the final game: "I always assumed it was part of a.... Shield installation, but it seems I was mistaken."

So you're either outright lying or your mind is retroactively altering your memories to reconceile reality with your opinion thereof.

We knew the covenant to be a faction but before H2, IN THE GAMES, they were a very linear faction with no detail to them. Covies are the aliens that want to destroy humanity. Simple. H2 changed that and you get to play as the covenant, for a game, that is as novel as it can get.
It's literally in the manual of Halo CE -.-

The flood threat was not very evident before H2. I will be honest, I found fighting the flood quite easy in CE and as opposed to the covies, who were an intelligent species, I saw them as nothing less than space zombie. Yes, the novel claimed otherwise but we didn't see any evidence of its intelligence in the game until Gravemind.
Again, this is because you didn't pay attention.

I can't believe you are accusing 343 of not conforming to the novels given they have spent so much time to build up the lore and fix Bungie's -Yoink--ups.
I'm not. They could have easily have the novels conform to the game. They chose to do neither.
And they didn't "fix" anything. All they did was completely botch the storyline by retconning the Foreunner-Flood-war as depicted into the terminals into a huge gigantic mess, then release various amounts of media that all contradict one another: Soma the Painter <-> Forerunner Trilogy <-> Halo 4. All for the sole reason of shoehorning the Didact into the next game, then killing him off in a comic. They then quietly tried to reconceile their screw-ups with one another by making them all secondary canon, not even in an official release but in a waypoint article.

I have used factually correct information and all you have done is refute my claims without any proper evidence. So yes, my assertion still stands, your claims don't change a single thing.
No, you are making stuff up as you go and so far have provided no single proof for your baseless claims.
I'm still waiting for this to change.
Ah the manual, the manual the claimed chief was the last of his kind. Yeah, I completely forgot that piece 9f work. Still, my point stands. The manual depicted covenant as a fairly simple faction which intends to wipe out humanity. Nothing we haven't seen before. H2 changed that with its inner look in the covenant hierarchy and us getting to play as one of them.

If you couldn't deduce that the location referred to in the final cutscene of H2 was earth then all I have to say is that you need to work on your deductive abilities. A 5 year old could have predicted that. I have provided you with evidence from the gameplay and pointed out literal cutscene and dialogue as evidence and still it's not enough for you. "It seems as if they are looking for something" -Cortana. Do I need to spell out every little thing? Unfortunately the post limit won't allow it.

I am sorry the forerunner-flood war is too complicated for you. It is evident that you like linear, straightforward and average stories without any interesting twists and turns. They may be too much for you. I can see H3 is your favourite game. Your argument in a nutshell is "This story is too complicated so I don't like it".

Now, do read what I write because I did mention that the flood were made out to be a big threat in CE and novel but we never really SAW IT FOR OURSELVES as the encounters we had with the flood were mostly a bunch of combat and infection forms rushing towards us and to their death. The gravemind changed that. It is a simple statement, not that hard to comprehend. I can sure you can understand it if you try hard enough.
If you couldn't deduce that the location referred to in the final cutscene of H2 was earth then all I have to say is that you need to work on your deductive abilities. A 5 year old could have predicted that. I have provided you with evidence from the gameplay and pointed out literal cutscene and dialogue as evidence and still it's not enough for you. "It seems as if they are looking for something" -Cortana. Do I need to spell out every little thing? Unfortunately the post limit won't allow it.
Once again, you are changing your argument to suit your own agenda. Yes, I deduced that Truth was heading for earth to find the same thing that Regret was searching for. It was blatantly obvious, like most things Halo 2 did.
This is not what I nor you were talking about. We were talking about the Ark specifically. Which was not implied, stated or clarified to be anything before Halo 3 dropped.
The Ark could have been on Earth, it could have been Earth itself if it were a shield world, it could have been what it ended up being: An installation somewhere else entirely and Earth just the means to get there. It didn't even have to be a portal, there could just as easily have been a map to the Ark on earth that they needed to find.
Your claim that you were able to deduce the location of a portal on Earth to the Ark from the ending of Halo 2 is either a straight up lie or a genuine delusion... and I don't know which one would be worse.

I am sorry the forerunner-flood war is too complicated for you.
It's not complicated, it's nonsense. If one source claims the Didact to be on the frontline leading the troops against the flood this very moment while another taking place at the same time claims he's been in a cryptum for the last few millennia, then this is not nonlinear storytelling, it's just a contradiction. Plain and simple. You can try and read some hidden meaning into this, but it doesn't change the fact that the writers were either lazy or incompetent or both.

Your argument in a nutshell is "This story is too complicated so I don't like it".
Your argument being "This story seems pretentious, so I like it."
Mind you, I deliberately said "seems". All of the Halo games' stories (including Halo 3, before you try to twist my words again) were extremely easy to follow, it's just that some made more sense than others.

Now, do read what I write because I did mention that the flood were made out to be a big threat in CE and novel but we never really SAW IT FOR OURSELVES as the encounters we had with the flood were mostly a bunch of combat and infection forms rushing towards us and to their death. The gravemind changed that. It is a simple statement, not that hard to comprehend. I can sure you can understand it if you try hard enough.
So once again, you changed your initial argument, this time from "H2 [...] introduced the flood as an actual, consciousness entity." to "Halo 2 finally managed to adhere to what Halo CE had already set up". Fair enough, at least this one is objectively correct.
I liked H3 but I thought the story was meh. Especially comparing it to the "leaked script" that had come out.
Celestis wrote:
If you couldn't deduce that the location referred to in the final cutscene of H2 was earth then all I have to say is that you need to work on your deductive abilities. A 5 year old could have predicted that. I have provided you with evidence from the gameplay and pointed out literal cutscene and dialogue as evidence and still it's not enough for you. "It seems as if they are looking for something" -Cortana. Do I need to spell out every little thing? Unfortunately the post limit won't allow it.
Once again, you are changing your argument to suit your own agenda. Yes, I deduced that Truth was heading for earth to find the same thing that Regret was searching for. It was blatantly obvious, like most things Halo 2 did.
This is not what I nor you were talking about. We were talking about the Ark specifically. Which was not implied, stated or clarified to be anything before Halo 3 dropped.
The Ark could have been on Earth, it could have been Earth itself if it were a shield world, it could have been what it ended up being: An installation somewhere else entirely and Earth just the means to get there. It didn't even have to be a portal, there could just as easily have been a map to the Ark on earth that they needed to find.
Your claim that you were able to deduce the location of a portal on Earth to the Ark from the ending of Halo 2 is either a straight up lie or a genuine delusion... and I don't know which one would be worse.

I am sorry the forerunner-flood war is too complicated for you.
It's not complicated, it's nonsense. If one source claims the Didact to be on the frontline leading the troops against the flood this very moment while another taking place at the same time claims he's been in a cryptum for the last few millennia, then this is not nonlinear storytelling, it's just a contradiction. Plain and simple. You can try and read some hidden meaning into this, but it doesn't change the fact that the writers were either lazy or incompetent or both.

Your argument in a nutshell is "This story is too complicated so I don't like it".
Your argument being "This story seems pretentious, so I like it."
Mind you, I deliberately said "seems". All of the Halo games' stories (including Halo 3, before you try to twist my words again) were extremely easy to follow, it's just that some made more sense than others.

Now, do read what I write because I did mention that the flood were made out to be a big threat in CE and novel but we never really SAW IT FOR OURSELVES as the encounters we had with the flood were mostly a bunch of combat and infection forms rushing towards us and to their death. The gravemind changed that. It is a simple statement, not that hard to comprehend. I can sure you can understand it if you try hard enough.
So once again, you changed your initial argument, this time from "H2 [...] introduced the flood as an actual, consciousness entity." to "Halo 2 finally managed to adhere to what Halo CE had already set up". Fair enough, at least this one is objectively correct.
It's not that I changed my argument. They have been more or less the same but seeing that you were unable to follow it, I had to deconstruct it into smaller and simpler pieces to make you understand.

I would like to remind you that there were 2 didacts. The Ur-didact was in cryptum and the Iso-didact (bornstellar makes eternal lasting) was the one responsible for the activation of the halo array and final forerunner defense. Once again, all I can see is that you find the story too complicated to follow. The book explained everything quite cleanly in my opinion. Everything that you don't understand is not pretentious. It is called having an actual plotline and not being linearly boring.

I won't even touch the ark deduction because the ark is simply a name for the central location from where all halo rings can be activated. We know of this in halo 2. This is something that we saw in the final CS. This was easily deducible. The ark is the structure that was referenced in halo 2 and that was not a big surprise. It was nothing really, it was blatantly obvious and very linear.
https://youtu.be/hgFf-bfMbII
If you can't deduce anything from this after playing 2, I have nothing to say to you.
Modod wrote:
Interesting, I think the ark was excellent visual story telling and the death of truth and 343gs were great story beats the stakes were high from the start and it just built into an epic finale, reach has some amazing story element and is probably better in that department. But mechanically I felt sages nerf spree was counter productive. I also felt utilities are far more in line with halos core than AAs. Halo has always been about picking up and swapping out toys on a moment to moment basis evaluating and adapting to situations by swapping out equipment. Halo3 equipment adhered to that where reach gave you a huge game altering ability and let you rely on it for an entire mission or mp match. Lots of games let you tailor to a playstyle but halo makes you tailor to an engagementon the fly something I find is a big part of the fun in the franchise.
I admit that Reach's multiplayer had its issues (looking at your armor lock) but the overall set and tone of the game set it part from me. The map and level design, the load out system and weaponry. The customisation was also wonderful. I truly had a lot of fun with Reach. In regards with story, I personally find H2 to be the best one. HCE comes close but it too, suffers from linearity and a lot reused levels. H2 was wonderful because we get to see the covenant perspective of the events unfurling around us and we talk to the flood as an actual entity. H2 solidified the threat of the flood as an intelligent and ancient entity as opposed to the space zombies they were in CEA. After talking to the grave mind, I realized how dangerous they were and it was reasonable for the forerunners to resort to the activation of the Halo array. I like CEA because of the gameplay moments it provided. The gravity lift battle in the truth and reconciliation mission, fighting with marines while the world around you was bathed in a purple light. The beach assault. The tank run. The horrors of the library, especially that closed room with a LOT of flood. Reach offered modularity and every MP battle felt like an actual military operation. Also, Invasion as a game-mode was something that I liked a lot. Each of these games has something that made it very unique and dear to me.
Invasion was awesome. But if I'm bring honest reach has one of the worst weapon sandboxes in the franchise in terms of design it reduced it in scope without reducing redundancy much. It also suffers from halo2s weakest point, useless ordinance, 3 tried to improve this with varied results but reach removed dual weilelding to improve balance. yet it failed to be a more balanced title. This choice was also at odds with the design mantra that dictated all the other design philosophy on show, eg increased modularity. While halo3 set a standard of modular console gaming reach chased it so whole heartedly it failed to see when homogeneous design had impacted negatively. For example the map design being built for mp, firefight and campaign was not a benefit. Especially when maps in mp used to be built for slayer and one or 2 more game types, focused and functional. Same goes for odst and the more focused firefight maps. Reach reintroduced the scale of CE but failed to make it meaningful. Result is a game where scale is used mostly to have you drive to objectives before being funneled into tight spaces. Again I think the level design in 3 was far more deliberate at delivering certain experiences through the strategy of players as opposed to having many tools to repeat the same approach to or avoid engagements. As a designer I feel they overcomponsated and lost some of the fun factor. I love reach and the story but it is rather ham fisted and had issues with cannon like halo4. It also had some really poor cinematography and inconsistencies. I think halo 3 had far more intriguing narrative elements. Is cortana a trust worthy allie or is she on the grave minds side? Mendicant bias and the didact. Johnsons sacrifice, keys, 343GS and it had surprises as opposed to halo 2 where all the reveals had already happened and we just got to see it from a closer lens. The portal to the ark and earth being the same was a Stroke of luck for truth, a genuine surprise and a cool cut scene to boot. The way the game shows how long the coup has been in the works by simply showing us truths hidden fleet of elite brutes with armour was clever and working with the flood as a good moment. The mystery of forerunner and the sense of we've done this all before is really good story telling evoking CE but also of some event even further in the past like a dream you can't quite remember. For me halo 2 is a little too linear. I love it to bits but it is linear and the plot is predictable(even if you play it for the first time in a language you do not speak(Spanish in my case) without subtitles.) Thel is cool but not all that important to the story. Odst is one of my favourites as well. I like less linear gameplay that actually uses the space to inform play rather than be purely to envoke scale and then fail to deliver it due to ai limitations and having empty spaces. And I like story's with hidden elements and mystery. That's my take on it. A Halo3.0-DST would be awesome for me.
I hear you man. Halo 3's story is exceptionally plain and drab. I mean *looks around and whispers* it is a very, very average game and with a really plain story. It doesn't deserve all the fanboyism/ fangirlism it gets.If we are talking about the Bungie games then Halo CE, 2 and Reach were better than 3.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Take care Arbiter, what you speak is heresy!
I would like to remind you that there were 2 didacts. The Ur-didact was in cryptum and the Iso-didact (bornstellar makes eternal lasting) was the one responsible for the activation of the halo array and final forerunner defense. Once again, all I can see is that you find the story too complicated to follow. The book explained everything quite cleanly in my opinion. Everything that you don't understand is not pretentious. It is called having an actual plotline and not being linearly boring.
The IsoDidact only came into existence at the end of the forerunner-flood-war, after the UrDidact was released from his Cryptum. Several other sources, including but not limited to the Halo 3 terminals, and even media released by 343 themselves, at the same time as the Forerunner trilogy (Cryptum: Jan 4, 2011. Soma the Painter: Nov 2, 2010) directly contradict that by outright stating that the Didact (either one) was actively(!) leading the forces for the entirety of the war.
None of this is complicated. It's just stupid.

If you can't deduce anything from this after playing 2, I have nothing to say to you.
You didn't have anything to say to me so far either. That didn't stop you from trying to do so.
I was able to deduce what could be deduced. Namely that something is on Earth and both Regret and Truth wanted it. Plot points that were only added in the next game, such as the existence of a portal and the location of the Ark outside the Milky Way are not part thereof. You claming to have been able to do so is nonsense, unless you are in the possession of a magic crystal ball.
I want 343 to try new things, but I also don't want them to take away what made Halo feel like Halo. Removing the Covenant would make no sense, because if they wanted to, 343 could make the Covenant bigger than ever before with more factions we haven't seen yet. The Covenant doesn't have to just be strictly the same enemy types we've seen before, because obviously, the universe of Halo is massive. I'm not a Halo lore expert, but I think there are many planets that we have not yet explored in the games that exist in the Halo Universe. As for gameplay, I believe it's important to keep all the good elements of the other games, and to not go too far with changes. This is vague I know, but that's simply because I cannot speak for everyone about what those good elements are, as we all have different experiences and different tastes.
I'm going to be really disappointed if the Covenant returns AGAIN. One of the things I loved most about Halo 4 is that they finally gave us new enemies. I'm fine with the same enemy archetypes, but at least switch it up a bit. Having The Banished would be fun because it would be the same archetypes and gameplay, just with total redesigns that would keep it interesting.
Respect everyone's right to their opinion... but the only thing I'll say is
Quote:
its not about just killing the covenant over and over again.
Actually to a good number of fans that literally is what Halo is. They were the first enemy, many feel they're still the best enemy. Still the most balanced, still the most fun to fight, of any of Halo's factions. To many, it is NOT a Halo campaign without them. I don't care if I ever fight the Flood or the Prometheans ever again, but I never get tired of fighting the Covenant.

Now I am perfectly fine with, from a story perspective, their being technically a different faction in Infinite... it could be the Banished, or it could be the ex-Covenant races now working for the Created (which I suspect will be the case), I don't really care who their boss is or what they call themselves. But yes, I do still expect the former Covenant races to be the primary antagonist in Halo because that's what Halo feels like, to me.

Others, of course, are free to disagree.
F16 HUNTER wrote:
I hear you man. Halo 3's story is exceptionally plain and drab. I mean *looks around and whispers* it is a very, very average game and with a really plain story. It doesn't deserve all the fanboyism/ fangirlism it gets.If we are talking about the Bungie games then Halo CE, 2 and Reach were better than 3.
What makes it average?
*gives you a nod of respect for containing your justified disgust*
Celestis wrote:
I would like to remind you that there were 2 didacts. The Ur-didact was in cryptum and the Iso-didact (bornstellar makes eternal lasting) was the one responsible for the activation of the halo array and final forerunner defense. Once again, all I can see is that you find the story too complicated to follow. The book explained everything quite cleanly in my opinion. Everything that you don't understand is not pretentious. It is called having an actual plotline and not being linearly boring.
The IsoDidact only came into existence at the end of the forerunner-flood-war, after the UrDidact was released from his Cryptum. Several other sources, including but not limited to the Halo 3 terminals, and even media released by 343 themselves, at the same time as the Forerunner trilogy (Cryptum: Jan 4, 2011. Soma the Painter: Nov 2, 2010) directly contradict that by outright stating that the Didact (either one) was actively(!) leading the forces for the entirety of the war.
None of this is complicated. It's just stupid.

If you can't deduce anything from this after playing 2, I have nothing to say to you.
You didn't have anything to say to me so far either. That didn't stop you from trying to do so.
I was able to deduce what could be deduced. Namely that something is on Earth and both Regret and Truth wanted it. Plot points that were only added in the next game, such as the existence of a portal and the location of the Ark outside the Milky Way are not part thereof. You claming to have been able to do so is nonsense, unless you are in the possession of a magic crystal ball.
Let me make this clear. The flood was a threat for 3 centuries, the hostilities had not yet begun(properly). The Ur-didact was in cryptum. Then, Bornstellar comes to earth(erde tyrene) and release him. The Didact becomes his mentor and imprints his memories and rate on him using a brevet mutation. 40 years prior to this, mendicant bias fired the halo on charum hakkor, releasing the precursor. During this time, mendicant betrays the forerunner council and this marks the official start of the forerunner-flood war. Ur-didact loses his -Yoink- shortly after this and starts composing the humans to create his knights. Librarian gets very, very angry and they plot a plan to replace the Ur-didact with the iso. All the while,ur-Didact was leading his forces. Ur didact gets imprisoned, Iso-didact takes his place and continues to command the forerunner defense.

I understand I may have oversimplified things and bit and brushed over a lot of little detail but that is how he went. The didact was, infact, incharge of forerunner defenses.
A Halo 3 2.0 clone is almost thre best case scenario depending on how you evaluate it.

The difference in gameplay between Halo 2 and Halo 3 was not extraordinary. H3 had improvements and balance adjustments, but largely played the same with 2 major new gameplay features (equipment and mobile 3rd person turrets).

Aside from that the major differences were things people already listed like forge, custom armor, online campaign coop, 4 player coop, etc.

That's mostly what we need in the jump from H5 to HI. Balance adjustments, tweaks to abilities, and one or two major new gameplay features. The art direction going more classic, plus the above, is all I need out of Infinite.
Let me make this clear. The flood was a threat for 3 centuries, the hostilities had not yet begun(properly). The Ur-didact was in cryptum. Then, Bornstellar comes to earth(erde tyrene) and release him. The Didact becomes his mentor and imprints his memories and rate on him using a brevet mutation. 40 years prior to this, mendicant bias fired the halo on charum hakkor, releasing the precursor. During this time, mendicant betrays the forerunner council and this marks the official start of the forerunner-flood war. Ur-didact loses his -Yoink- shortly after this and starts composing the humans to create his knights. Librarian gets very, very angry and they plot a plan to replace the Ur-didact with the iso. All the while,ur-Didact was leading his forces. Ur didact gets imprisoned, Iso-didact takes his place and continues to command the forerunner defense.
Congratulations. You have just recapped the story as told in the Forunner trilogy. Which is completely contradicted by other media 343 released at the same time, such as Soma the Painter and even Halo 4 itself.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4