Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

I want the characters back from Halo 3: ODST!

OP Philmagill P117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I really want to see Sadie Endesha or play as her alongside Vergil the superintendent, or references to her in Halo Infinite, also I would love to play in New Mombasa or a similar environment at night. I would love to see Buck (not as a spartan scratch that), Dare, Romeo, Mickey, Dutch. Fighting alongside their ODST squad. Yes, I know the lore killed them off but I don't care, that was a pathetic move. In the game they all lived, including the engineer.
Why though? With all of the more relevant storylines such as that of Spirit of Fire being around, why want ODST characters back? I loved ODST, would love ODSTs and Engineers to make a return but that's it. They already have to struggle to get Blue Team, Cortana and her gang, Prometheans, Halsey, Arbiter, Chief, Lasky and other H4/5 characters to work well and then possibly SoF, Red Team, Isabel, the Banished thrown in as well. I'd say thats WAY more than enough characters to bring back in a meaningful way.
DonVinzone wrote:
Why though? With all of the more relevant storylines such as that of Spirit of Fire being around, why want ODST characters back? I loved ODST, would love ODSTs and Engineers to make a return but that's it. They already have to struggle to get Blue Team, Cortana and her gang, Prometheans, Halsey, Arbiter, Chief, Lasky and other H4/5 characters to work well and then possibly SoF, Red Team, Isabel, the Banished thrown in as well. I'd say thats WAY more than enough characters to bring back in a meaningful way.
I'm aware I've played every Halo. It's my opinion but I hope they all disappear, except for Locke. In fact, I have a feeling they will disappear. There are a few pointers and it's supposed to be a 'spiritual awakening'. Jameson Locke was the only new character they introduced which I liked, to be honest.
DonVinzone wrote:
I'm aware I've played every Halo. It's my opinion but I hope they all disappear, except for Locke. In fact, I have a feeling they will disappear. There are a few pointers and it's supposed to be a 'spiritual awakening'. Jameson Locke was the only new character they introduced which I liked, to be honest.
Depends. I think spiritual reboot is referring more to gameplay, looks and tone than the actual story. New additions to the lore might've been a mess at times but a reboot of the story, ignoring things that have been set up in two of the leading media (games are always above books etc) is just unheard of. I highly doubt that they'll got as far as that with a complex universe such as Halo's. It's easier to go the Star Wars route and declare all books except for Nylund's to be non-canon than to declare two mainline games as such.

I do think some of those characters might be toned down or we won't see them that much as with Lasky in H5. But I'm counting on most of them making a return. The E3 trailer did start off shortly after the events of H5 right? That means some might be lost in action in between games but the timeframe is too small to kick out every secondary character.
There's far more important stuff to cover in Infinite than bringing back Alpha-Nine. They don't belong in the story. If you want more of them, read their books. It's what they're there for.
I think that Sadies story was fine as somewhat secret story about civilians getting away from covenant invasion accompanied with other more, humane problems.
But I would prefer to leave it at that, there definitely could be some similar story arc that player could collect if they want to while leaving the option to focus on the main story itself. So preferably some new characters with more artistic freedom with their characters.

As for Alpha 9, maybe some of them but I dont see their appearance adding to Infinite itself but perhaps some other spin-off game.
Maybe all of them if other media containing them after the events of the game would be de-canonized. Im not claiming it's perfect, more like fixing original bs that came with the book with something that mixes up the lore even more than it is currently.
I don't think ODSTs belong in this game at all. Not even a little bit. Keep Alpha 9 in it, maybe a small part, but I doubt Nathan Fillion wouldn't make an appearance here.

But MIKA95VARTSU is right. A spin-off game could be really good. Could be the next 'Reach'.
xAlchemist wrote:
I don't think ODSTs belong in this game at all. Not even a little bit. Keep Alpha 9 in it, maybe a small part, but I doubt Nathan Fillion wouldn't make an appearance here.

But MIKA95VARTSU is right. A spin-off game could be really good. Could be the next 'Reach'.
More like ODST itself I'd say. Far easier to make, could be meaningful additions to the main story of H:I. But I get what you say. To be honest though, the return of ODSTs as regular UNSC troopers next to common Marines would be great. Better than the' oh they're now all SIVs' thing.
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

More like ODST itself I'd say. Far easier to make, could be meaningful additions to the main story of H:I. But I get what you say. To be honest though, the return of ODSTs as regular UNSC troopers next to common Marines would be great. Better than the' oh they're now all SIVs' thing.
That is the issue, 343 just made the Spartan its own branch and all the characters in past games Spar4s. Heck if bungie didn't killed them off in previous games I bet Johnson, Miranda Keys, and even Foehammer would have been Spartans.
Little confused, OP. When you say "the lore killed them off," are you talking about Alpha Nine characters or ODSTs in general? It sounds to me like you ought to read Matt Forbeck's Buck books (New Blood and Bad Blood) and get back to us with what you think of where they leave things, if you haven't read them already. If you loved H3 ODST, there's a lot to love in the stories these books tell. I'll not spoil the books for you if you haven't read them, but I'll hint strongly that there's more 343i can do with a lot of things that originated in H3 ODST.

As far as whether or not ODST soldiers are intrinsically more interesting/valuable to watch and play as than are SPARTAN's, particularly SPARTAN IV's? I can agree with you that this has been the case so far, but I don't cede that SPARTAN IV's lack the potential to be every bit as interesting and cool to watch and play as as ODSTs are simply on account of them being super soldiers. John's the heart of the entire series and he's way more powerful than an S4. It's all in how well the stories are told.
Little confused, OP. When you say "the lore killed them off," are you talking about Alpha Nine characters or ODSTs in general? It sounds to me like you ought to read Matt Forbeck's Buck books (New Blood and Bad Blood) and get back to us with what you think of where they leave things, if you haven't read them already. If you loved H3 ODST, there's a lot to love in the stories these books tell. I'll not spoil the books for you if you haven't read them, but I'll hint strongly that there's more 343i can do with a lot of things that originated in H3 ODST.

As far as whether or not ODST soldiers are intrinsically more interesting/valuable to watch and play as than are SPARTAN's, particularly SPARTAN IV's? I can agree with you that this has been the case so far, but I don't cede that SPARTAN IV's lack the potential to be every bit as interesting and cool to watch and play as as ODSTs are simply on account of them being super soldiers. John's the heart of the entire series and he's way more powerful than an S4. It's all in how well the stories are told.
I was just about to ask what OP was talking about regarding the characters being killed off.
Spoiler:
Show
Agree with you wholeheartedly here. SIVs have plenty of potential to be just as cool and interesting as ODSTs.. they just haven't been implemented as well yet imo.
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

That is the issue, 343 just made the Spartan its own branch and all the characters in past games Spar4s. Heck if bungie didn't killed them off in previous games I bet Johnson, Miranda Keys, and even Foehammer would have been Spartans.
Ok, but seriously. Foehammer Spartan IV would be awesome, amirite?
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

But that's just a terrible idea. People seem to forget that not everyone wants to be Special Forces. And even if they do, maybe they dont want to be Spartans. Maybe they just want to be ODSTs. It's like saying everyone who became a US Ranger wants to become Delta. It's just not true.
In that case I would love a second ODST! But I don't understand how Alpha-Nine couldn't be put in Halo Infinite. You would simply fight alongside ODST as usual and maybe they would appear in a cut scene for a few seconds. Or maybe Sadie Endesha could be one of the main characters and accompany chief. You never know and this is website is for sharing your ideas, not for abiding to what ideas have already been established.
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

But that's just a terrible idea. People seem to forget that not everyone wants to be Special Forces. And even if they do, maybe they dont want to be Spartans. Maybe they just want to be ODSTs. It's like saying everyone who became a US Ranger wants to become Delta. It's just not true.
Oh I agree, the idea is terrible just like making the Spartans their own branch (I'm surprised they haven't made the Spartans their own nation yet). But that seems exactly like what 343 was doing, You are a Spartan and you are a spartan everyone is a spartan. what about elites? BANNED! Even terrible ideas will have that one person that thinks it will work, and they happen to be in a position to put it in action. Apparently 343 has had those type of people. (I sort of understand why Bungie wasn't happy when Microsoft licensed out the Halo IP to Ensemble studios even if they did do a pretty decent job).
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

Oh I agree, the idea is terrible just like making the Spartans their own branch (I'm surprised they haven't made the Spartans their own nation yet). But that seems exactly like what 343 was doing, You are a Spartan and you are a spartan everyone is a spartan. what about elites?BANNED! Even terrible ideas will have that one person that thinks it will work, and they happen to be in a position to put it in action. Apparently 343 has had those type of people. (I sort of understand why Bungie wasn't happy when Microsoft licensed out the Halo IP to Ensemble studios even if they did do a pretty decent job).
I'm not sure why you're acting like every Tom, Rick, and Harry from the OT would be Spartans when 343i made a single squad Spartan-IVs after two games of teasing us that the leader was Spartan material.
I really want to see Sadie Endesha or play as her alongside Vergil the superintendent, or references to her in Halo Infinite, also I would love to play in New Mombasa or a similar environment at night. I would love to see Buck (not as a spartan scratch that), Dare, Romeo, Mickey, Dutch. Fighting alongside their ODST squad. Yes, I know the lore killed them off but I don't care, that was a pathetic move. In the game they all lived, including the engineer.
In my opinion Dutch needs to return because he is a very good and charismatic character
tL Armada wrote:
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

Oh I agree, the idea is terrible just like making the Spartans their own branch (I'm surprised they haven't made the Spartans their own nation yet). But that seems exactly like what 343 was doing, You are a Spartan and you are a spartan everyone is a spartan. what about elites?BANNED! Even terrible ideas will have that one person that thinks it will work, and they happen to be in a position to put it in action. Apparently 343 has had those type of people. (I sort of understand why Bungie wasn't happy when Microsoft licensed out the Halo IP to Ensemble studios even if they did do a pretty decent job).
I'm not sure why you're acting like every Tom, Rick, and Harry from the OT would be Spartans when 343i made a single squad Spartan-IVs after two games of teasing us that the leader was Spartan material.
Because Spartan IVs which did pretty much that. Okay they didn't turn Dr. Halsey into a spartan but did they have to, she made them.
I like Romeo's a-hole and cocky personality, makes for an interesting game.
DonVinzone wrote:
xAlchemist wrote:

Spartan IVs make sense though. The UNSC and ONI would obviously want more Spartans, due to how effective they are. But they couldn't just kidnap children again, or "adopt" them from orphanages. Surprisingly, it wasn't received well when it went public, which is why Dr Halsey was arrested as a war criminal. Taking the best from the ODSTs is only logical, as they wouldn't require the years of training (they already have them), and they'd be battlefield-experienced. If they could make them into super soldiers, why wouldn't they? Besides, the Spartan IVs are less superior to the IIIs and IIs. So it isn't as if every Spartan IV is now Master Chief. The abundance of Spartan IVs and the lack of ODSTs is merely due to The Infinity being heavily present in Halo 4 and 5, as it is home to half of the Spartan IVs in the galaxy, with there being about 1000 in total. They really aren't that common in-universe. We've just had high exposure to them.

The issue with the Spartan IVs, and this is an issue with the Marines in Halo 4 and 5 too, is that they don't seem militaristic. It's hard to find them badass when most of them look like Action Figures. We didn't have this problem with the ODSTs, with a great example being the Halo Wars 2 reveal trailer. If a Spartan IV was in that, they'd stick out like a sore thumb.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2