Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Idea for halo infinite sprint/clamber

OP Bullitt LSx

I havent seen this concept brought up before. What do people think about sprint and clamber being left in the game, but without any restrictions to being able to aim and fire your weapon? Similar to how to see Spartans sprinting and firing their weapons in one of the halo 5 trailers.
This is gonna be tough just in my mind because of balancing issues. I think your idea isn't a bad one because I'm sure people want to have that classic halo feel of always having your gun up, but I could see this being combined with movements like halo 5 could cause some problems. I am excited to see how Infinite handles the movements and either way I'm just happy with another halo game.
I think sprinting and firing would be a bad idea, climbing and firing wouldn't realistically make sense. Not unless you could do it one handed and even then you couldn't really move that much and accuracy would be out the window. Even for an augmented soldier.

If anything, sprinting while shooting "could" be done, but I'd say hip fire with a hit to accuracy. But sliding and firing could be done better, and if sprinting with the little propulsion system going, you should be able to slide for a bit of a distance while keeping your momentum. I mean, you've got a glorified rocket on your back.

Climbing, on the other hand... Eh? In order to properly shoot and climb you'd have to introduce a tether system, like a grappling hook, in order for it to make logical sense unless you were just chilling on the side of a cliff or something. Even then, as I said, it'd be one handed so no sight aiming and accuracy would be poorly affected.

Besides the "reality" look on things, it'd add more to gameplay that I personally feel got way over saturated anyway. I don't think we need more mechanics, I think current mechanics just need to be refined.
I just want halo 5's movement with maybe a double jump that uses the thrust charge because I'm THAT guy
I've actually heard this idea before and it's not terrible, but to me it's more of "what's the point"

There are enough issues with the sprint animation and clamber. This would add even more in my opinion. I do think sprint affects gameplay more than clamber but I have heard some arguments saying how it does affects gameplay just as much and I must say, they're pretty darn good.

To me the answer is simple, just remove them. We spend SO. MUCH. TIME!! ...trying to figure out how to balance these mechanics in Halo when the answer is just right in front if us in my opinion. Stop changing things you don't need to change. Halo doesn't need the sprint animation...it doesn't need clamber...it definitely doesn't need any type or style of ADS zooming for it to be successful. We know this for a fact!!

Are these terrible mechanics? No, they're not, but they change how Halo is built and plays so much it's not even funny. Halo had a great formula in my opinion.... Then Halo Reach started to mess things up. Then Halo 4 super messed it up. Halo 5 did a better job implementing things then the past two games I think, but it still has a lot of problems/issues because of these mechanics. Most, if not all, still revolve around sprint.

One idea that I'm definitely interested in exploring is seeing how a double jump would work in Halo. I didn't like the idea at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. You can tied it into thrusters, if you decide to keep thrusters...your weapon is always up allowing you to shoot, punch or throw grenades and map scaling could be brought back to how it was. Man, sounds like a win to me.

I know it seems like maybe myself and others hate the sprint mechanic and whatnot (I actually do hate the style and especially the look of ADS style zooming though I'll admit lol) and l'm not trying to speak for anyone else but I think the majority of us don't hate the sprint mechanic.... We just don't want it in Halo. There are x other FPS out there people can play if they absolutely must have this mechanic.

I just wish 343I would actually make a Halo game more along the lines of (NOT THE SAME) Halo 1-3 and see how it does. It would put a lot of discussions to bed. The odds of it doing worse are so slim it's ridiculous. People have shown time and time again, if a game is good and fun, people don't care if say sprint is in there FPS or whatever mechanic. They really don't!!! Sure, there will be the odd person that does but the majority won't.

I'm hoping that Microsoft and 343I have finally realize this when it comes to Halo Infinite.
No more Generic FPS System , more Golden Triangle (Halo) system !
This is the exact key for the success of Infinite.
I would have agreed with you a year ago when I didn't give Halo 5 a chance. But not entirely now.

I like the boost system, it really helps to boost out of tight situations or to close gaps. I like the slam feature. And sprinting, climbing, ect. just makes sense.

I don't like ADS though, as it breaks balancing that previous titles had down. I'm also not a fan of the Forerunner weapons. I feel like they're pointless half the time and never use them. They're like the UNSC weapons' cousin the family doesn't like talking about.

Just my opinion, anyway.
I would have agreed with you a year ago when I didn't give Halo 5 a chance. But not entirely now.

I like the boost system, it really helps to boost out of tight situations or to close gaps. I like the slam feature. And sprinting, climbing, ect. just makes sense.

I don't like ADS though, as it breaks balancing that previous titles had down. I'm also not a fan of the Forerunner weapons. I feel like they're pointless half the time and never use them. They're like the UNSC weapons' cousin the family doesn't like talking about.

Just my opinion, anyway.
If you like assist gameplays and free mouve limitation in your movement,launched Crysis, but not Halo.
Halo is freedom of movement and skill.
This is not a game that should be filled with scripting and assistance.
Replaced the freedom of movement by an animation that handicaps the player and who assists him is not a good thing for this license.
You like that, very well but do you say that for the future of this license, your admiration of this system will further ruin the license.
And not the dash is not a good thing either, because reaching a target or the other end of the map in a split second is also not the essence of Halo especially when the maps of Halo 5 are as small as Black Ops 3.

It was the same for halo 4, Abbadon is the smallest map of the game, in sprint you cross it in 5 seconds, it embarrassed everyone.
Why then started again with the Dash?
that does not make any sense.

Wort wort wort !
I havent seen this concept brought up before. What do people think about sprint and clamber being left in the game, but without any restrictions to being able to aim and fire your weapon? Similar to how to see Spartans sprinting and firing their weapons in one of the halo 5 trailers.
Why not remove sprint and increase bms at that point?
Yeah, the main problem with Sprint is that they had to reduce the Spartan's base speed to compensate for the new speed sprint adds. Same thing with Jet Pack, they had to reduce the Spartan's base jump height.
No thank you, it's already too yolo
WFD1992 wrote:
Yeah, the main problem with Sprint is that they had to reduce the Spartan's base speed to compensate for the new speed sprint adds. Same thing with Jet Pack, they had to reduce the Spartan's base jump height.
And tailored the enemies to be expecting you to be hopping all around, giving the covenant ridiculous accuracy and homing weapons to the forerunner. But that's going into balancing.

I'm not with the new systems. I honestly have several reasons to hate them. But I feel like if more work was put into them, we could go back to a game that is distinctly Halo, just evolved. The first Halo game broke ground because it evolved not only the first person shooter, but what 3D could be on a console. So Halo: Combat Evolved was quite literally just that, Evolved.

I feel like Halo kept evolving until Reach. Reach was okay but it had minor devolutions in it. Halo 4 continues this backward trend and 5 only cemented it.

What I want to see is Halo not trying to play "catch up". Because it is, devs admittedly trying to get fans from other games by adding in stuff those games have only "a little different" or "a little better" is only two things: Catching up. Or a lazy excuse for a lazy company that want a cash cow clone of every other game.

What I want to see is Halo reclaim it's roots, Evolved. Better then the rest. The whole damn industry should be catching up to Halo, not the other way around.

Somewhere being Evolved was forgotten. Kinda time to bring this philosophy back. Anything less is just poop from a butt I guess.