Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Ideas for balancing Grappleshot

OP RegentTitan453

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
Just found out about the power drain in Halo 3. Did you know it can disable any vehicle in it's radius and it gets everyone inside it's radius one-shot? Super unbalanced. Dunno what Bungie is thinking here.

The balance of the Grapple shot is that it is a pickup, there's (likely) one on the map, and it's something strong and worth controlling because it enables you to counter air vehicles without outright killing them, or relying on an EMP. 343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on. It's not like every player in a game will be zipping around with the grapple shot, grabbing every weapon and hijacking every other vehicle in sight. Additionally, this forces vehicle players to think about how low they fly to the ground. The grapple shot isn't instantaneous, the wasp could likely shoot the player while they zip right at them, or maybe the banshee can just barrel roll.

Like really, is the Grapple shot any more of an effective vehicle shutdown than the Spartan Laser or Halo 2 Rockets? I don't really think so. The user is much more vulnerable while hijacking the vehicle, and it's not like they're going to delete four vehicles from across the map before someone shuts them down or they run out of ammo like the Splaser. I think you're really overthinking how strong the Grapple will be. Don't get me wrong, it'll be strong, really strong, but when you compare it to other things in the sandbox, in terms of lethality, it just isn't that crazy.

At most, a grapple shot user is going to counter one vehicle.
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
Why don't you wait to actually try the thing before coming up with ways to fix something you don't know is even actually broken?
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here
Yes.
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
Why don't you wait to actually try the thing before coming up with ways to fix something you don't know is even actually broken?
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here
Yes.
Plasma Pistols in overcharge can instantly put a vehicle into a hijackable state too. Plus, they're homing shots if you're in RRR. Launching tracking EMP's at vehicles is okay, one-shotting Wasps/Banshees cross-map with a laser is okay, but a close-range hijacking a low flying wasp is not okay and abusable?

Yeah, we should probably wait to see what it actually performs like before crying out about needing to 'fix' something we haven't even used yet. Chances are the most likely thing to happen is an increased spawn time on the map or worst-case being removed from certain maps. If the Grappleshot was something EVERYONE had at ALL TIMES? Yeah, I could see that being problematic. But this is like the Rocket Launcher or Laser or Sword, where only one - maybe two or so, depending on the map - person will be using it.
Rancheroni wrote:
Like really, is the Grapple shot any more of an effective vehicle shutdown than the Spartan Laser or Halo 2 Rockets?

At most, a grapple shot user is going to counter one vehicle.
You do have to take into account that not only does it deny your enemy a vehicle, it also gives it to your team so that’s quite the balance shift.
The ease the grapplejack was shown in the trailer will probably be for theatrical purposes though, same with the speed of which it was used to acquire the skewer and reused for the grapple.

The balance will mostly be determined by the amount of magnetism (which seems quite a lot in the bazaar clip with the hammer guy), the range, cooldown between use and the amount of charges. Many ways to tweak it for 343i so I’m not that worried about it.
They way they talked about the equipment is like they are power weapon tier in some cases. You have to manage some equipment like you would a sniper/rockets or active camo/overshield in terms of map control.

It will likely mean they won't be quick to respawn and they won't be littered on the map. We might only have 1-2 grapples on an entire big team map. With its range and the fact it may be limited use, I think grapplejacks will be extremely situational.

As others have said, the H3 powerdrain was an absolutely essential bit of kit that could devastate vehicles and players. In high level games of team slayer on Construct it was one of the only ways to break a team that had full control of the top. It was a super strong item.
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
I love how an item is now unbalanced when we have only seen very limited gameplay of it so far.
Rancheroni wrote:
Just found out about the power drain in Halo 3. Did you know it can disable any vehicle in it's radius and it gets everyone inside it's radius one-shot? Super unbalanced. Dunno what Bungie is thinking here.

The balance of the Grapple shot is that it is a pickup, there's (likely) one on the map, and it's something strong and worth controlling because it enables you to counter air vehicles without outright killing them, or relying on an EMP. 343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on. It's not like every player in a game will be zipping around with the grapple shot, grabbing every weapon and hijacking every other vehicle in sight. Additionally, this forces vehicle players to think about how low they fly to the ground. The grapple shot isn't instantaneous, the wasp could likely shoot the player while they zip right at them, or maybe the banshee can just barrel roll.

Like really, is the Grapple shot any more of an effective vehicle shutdown than the Spartan Laser or Halo 2 Rockets? I don't really think so. The user is much more vulnerable while hijacking the vehicle, and it's not like they're going to delete four vehicles from across the map before someone shuts them down or they run out of ammo like the Splaser. I think you're really overthinking how strong the Grapple will be. Don't get me wrong, it'll be strong, really strong, but when you compare it to other things in the sandbox, in terms of lethality, it just isn't that crazy.

At most, a grapple shot user is going to counter one vehicle.
Also and here’s the key thing that differentiates trailers from gameplay: unlike in the trailers people are going to shoot you whilst you do this and your brazen spiderman activities will not at all be unnoticed. If anything your head will be a juciy target for every wannabe no scope snipelord and their 360p youtuber footage.
Sylxeria wrote:
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
Why don't you wait to actually try the thing before coming up with ways to fix something you don't know is even actually broken?
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here
Yes.
Plasma Pistols in overcharge can instantly put a vehicle into a hijackable state too. Plus, they're homing shots if you're in RRR. Launching tracking EMP's at vehicles is okay, one-shotting Wasps/Banshees cross-map with a laser is okay, but a close-range hijacking a low flying wasp is not okay and abusable?

Yeah, we should probably wait to see what it actually performs like before crying out about needing to 'fix' something we haven't even used yet. Chances are the most likely thing to happen is an increased spawn time on the map or worst-case being removed from certain maps. If the Grappleshot was something EVERYONE had at ALL TIMES? Yeah, I could see that being problematic. But this is like the Rocket Launcher or Laser or Sword, where only one - maybe two or so, depending on the map - person will be using it.
I understand your point and yes, we have had very little access to this weapon and its capabilities. This discussion isn't really there to combat an existing balance problem, its a discussion to give ideas for how that could NOT happen. Because while the Rocket Launcher or Spartan Laser can remove you from your vehicle at a fast pace, it isn't the same when the attacker receives a vehicle for his own team. I'm not saying its unbalanced, I'm saying that its risky and it would be fun for us to come up with ideas for potential balance. But yes, I completely understand your point.
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
So what we have seen from the trailers you can grapple halfway across the map, the grapple shot can be used multiple times, you can hook players and weapons, and you can hook/ board vehicles with it. From back in the gameplay reveal in 2020 I was concerned about how the grappleshot would perform in multiplayer and the trailers we got this year have not eased my concerns. Instead of just being a -Yoink- I am going to give my vision of what a balanced grappleshot might look like:
  • Limit how far of a range the grapple can be used. I don't think you should be able to spiderman halfway across the map or from floor to ceiling in a multi story building. To tie this in with balancing vehicles I think the way this could work is you can grapple to *pretty much* anywhere you see, however the grapple only pulls your player along for a few seconds before it becomes unhooked. So with the wasp or a banshee, if you get hooked you could start to fly away and hopefully ride out the timer. If you were flying too low or slow then they could probably get on you soon enough to hijack you. It would also be nice if while a player is hooked to a vehicle the vehicle operator can swerve around and cause the grappleshot user to smack into objects/ cause damage to them.
  • Make the grappleshot be limited use. It has to be balanced but also good enough that players would want to pick it up and use it. I will admit that a single use grappleshot probably wouldn't be that useful, however an unlimited use one is not good either. I think it should have two or three uses before it stops functioning and starts to respawn.
  • No hooking objectives like flags or bombs
  • If you use the grappleshot while carrying an objective, then you drop the objective
  • A brief, couple second cooldown after you use the grappleshot to when you can start using your weapons again. From what I've seen from the trailers, I don't like how the grappleshot has changed weapons like the sword and hammer. With the sword and hammer you used to have to play smart, hide around corners until your enemy is close enough and then get them. If you mess up and can't get on them fast enough they can back up and gun you down. Now it seems in Infinite you can just grab the hook, run right out into comabat, hook someone, and either smash them or slice them. The reason you can get away with this is because you can get on them faster with the grapple hook than they can deal meaningful damage to you.
  • No hooking power weapons at least until they have been disrupted from their spawn. There at least needs to be some risk for advancing on power weapon spawns.
The balance is it's equipment. Not every spartan is gonna have a grapple ready to go. Also, I'm sure it has a range limit, so if you're that worried about it just keep height.
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
So what we have seen from the trailers you can grapple halfway across the map, the grapple shot can be used multiple times, you can hook players and weapons, and you can hook/ board vehicles with it. From back in the gameplay reveal in 2020 I was concerned about how the grappleshot would perform in multiplayer and the trailers we got this year have not eased my concerns. Instead of just being a -Yoink- I am going to give my vision of what a balanced grappleshot might look like:
  • Limit how far of a range the grapple can be used. I don't think you should be able to spiderman halfway across the map or from floor to ceiling in a multi story building. To tie this in with balancing vehicles I think the way this could work is you can grapple to *pretty much* anywhere you see, however the grapple only pulls your player along for a few seconds before it becomes unhooked. So with the wasp or a banshee, if you get hooked you could start to fly away and hopefully ride out the timer. If you were flying too low or slow then they could probably get on you soon enough to hijack you. It would also be nice if while a player is hooked to a vehicle the vehicle operator can swerve around and cause the grappleshot user to smack into objects/ cause damage to them.
  • Make the grappleshot be limited use. It has to be balanced but also good enough that players would want to pick it up and use it. I will admit that a single use grappleshot probably wouldn't be that useful, however an unlimited use one is not good either. I think it should have two or three uses before it stops functioning and starts to respawn.
  • No hooking objectives like flags or bombs
  • If you use the grappleshot while carrying an objective, then you drop the objective
  • A brief, couple second cooldown after you use the grappleshot to when you can start using your weapons again. From what I've seen from the trailers, I don't like how the grappleshot has changed weapons like the sword and hammer. With the sword and hammer you used to have to play smart, hide around corners until your enemy is close enough and then get them. If you mess up and can't get on them fast enough they can back up and gun you down. Now it seems in Infinite you can just grab the hook, run right out into comabat, hook someone, and either smash them or slice them. The reason you can get away with this is because you can get on them faster with the grapple hook than they can deal meaningful damage to you.
  • No hooking power weapons at least until they have been disrupted from their spawn. There at least needs to be some risk for advancing on power weapon spawns.
I think all of these solutions are superb! I agree that the grappleshot seems a bit too powerful if you can instantly attack an enemy after swinging. It makes the main weakness of weapons like the Energy Sword and the Gravity Hammer nonexistent, the fact that they have to get within close range. Your solution for vehicle hijacking is also pretty useful. I think that the main purpose of the grappleshot should be to reposition, not to murder people with your energy sword. Kind of like how irritating the Halo 2 Sword Super Jump was because it allowed the Energy Sword to be both a repositioning tool and an insta-kill weapon.
From what we saw in the trailer, the grapple hook doesn't have a cooldown or "ammo". Making so that you can only use it 3-5 times with a 5-10 second cooldown in between would definitely fix things imo.

Edit: Now that I think about it, 3-5 second cooldown would be better.
ShotAces wrote:
From what we saw in the trailer, the grapple hook doesn't have a cooldown or "ammo". Making so that you can only use it 3-5 times with a 5-10 second cooldown in between would definitely fix things imo.
Yeah, I feel that a fix for that would totally be in order. But with testing coming I'm sure that someone will point that out.
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
I know this is shocking, but arena games are not actually about balance. Equipment, weapons, vehicles etc, all have better versions on the map that are better at different things. They all have throw away weapons. A highly tuned weapon balance system in an arena game is a boring one as all weapons are useful at all times. Having such a system makes the need to take part in the sandbox pointless (H5).

The "cop out" excuse you mention is anything but. Having the ability to outright remove an equipment piece that is problematic on a specific map gives the devs flexability. That equipment piece may not be problematic on all maps so they dont need to go back to the drawing board, they just remove it from those maps. It becomes about the balance of the sandbox in a map, and less about the balance of the sandbox as a whole which Halo has been up until reach (5 really went away with this given how finely tuned they balanced the weapons and gave all abilities to all players).

Also, you infer that players don't expect the variable balancing to be a thing. Of course it will be.
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
I know this is shocking, but arena games are not actually about balance. Equipment, weapons, vehicles etc, all have better versions on the map that are better at different things. They all have throw away weapons. A highly tuned weapon balance system in an arena game is a boring one as all weapons are useful at all times. Having such a system makes the need to take part in the sandbox pointless (H5).

The "cop out" excuse you mention is anything but. Having the ability to outright remove an equipment piece that is problematic on a specific map gives the devs flexability. That equipment piece may not be problematic on all maps so they dont need to go back to the drawing board, they just remove it from those maps. It becomes about the balance of the sandbox in a map, and less about the balance of the sandbox as a whole which Halo has been up until reach (5 really went away with this given how finely tuned they balanced the weapons and gave all abilities to all players).

Also, you infer that players don't expect the variable balancing to be a thing. Of course it will be.
Excuse me, pardon me if I'm wrong but are you suggesting that every weapon having a purpose is a bad thing? Because while COD has plenty of weapons that are ignored one of the core pieces of Halo has been the fact that every weapon has a situation in which you would choose it. I'm sorry if this offends you, I just can't get past the comment "A highly tuned weapon balance system in an arena game is a boring one as all weapons are useful at all times.".
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
No it's not. Certain things are too overpowered for certain maps. That's just how it is. Making everything "balanced" is a quick way to make everything boring.

Bungie's whole design philosophy was to make everything overpowered, but limit it's use. The sniper rifle is overpowered. It's a one-shot kill, but it's limited by it's AA and it's capacity. The Rocket Launcher is overpowered, but it requires leading and has limited ammo. Making the grapple shot a wet noodle that has mechanics that tie it back just ends up breaking it's power fantasy. Literally my whole point is that equipment is overpowered. So is any power weapon. They're overpowered because the whole point of Halo is to control those items. You don't need to balance the hell out of something and break it's power fantasy if you limit it's presence on a map, or the maps it is present on.

The weapons and items on a map can be pivotal in the identity of the map as well. Guardian and Lockout both feature sniper rifles, and it's a huge part of the identity of those maps. Midship has the Sword. Not every map needs every item in the game; limiting them to certain maps is a great way of establishing their identity.
Rancheroni wrote:
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
No it's not. Certain things are too overpowered for certain maps. That's just how it is. Making everything "balanced" is a quick way to make everything boring.

Bungie's whole design philosophy was to make everything overpowered, but limit it's use. The sniper rifle is overpowered. It's a one-shot kill, but it's limited by it's AA and it's capacity. The Rocket Launcher is overpowered, but it requires leading and has limited ammo. Making the grapple shot a wet noodle that has mechanics that tie it back just ends up breaking it's power fantasy. Literally my whole point is that equipment is overpowered. So is any power weapon. They're overpowered because the whole point of Halo is to control those items. You don't need to balance the hell out of something and break it's power fantasy if you limit it's presence on a map, or the maps it is present on.

The weapons and items on a map can be pivotal in the identity of the map as well. Guardian and Lockout both feature sniper rifles, and it's a huge part of the identity of those maps. Midship has the Sword. Not every map needs every item in the game; limiting them to certain maps is a great way of establishing their identity.
The sniper rifle and rocket launcher are overpowered because they're OHK?? Ummm, that's their role. That's how they function. You obviously don't know what the word overpowered even means. A weapon becomes overpowered if it performs too efficiently beyond its intended role, and the rocket launcher and sniper rifle respectively do not.

As for balance, you seem to also completely misunderstand the concept. You can have diverse weapons that fill unique roles so that they are desirable in different situations, that is literally the basic design philosophy of an arena shooter. The shotgun dominates at close range, the rocket launcher does amazing splash damage and is effective against vehicles, the sidearm is quick to draw to finish off kills, the sniper rifle is the best weapon at long range etc. All very different weapons, but all balanced
Rancheroni wrote:
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
No it's not. Certain things are too overpowered for certain maps. That's just how it is. Making everything "balanced" is a quick way to make everything boring.

Bungie's whole design philosophy was to make everything overpowered, but limit it's use. The sniper rifle is overpowered. It's a one-shot kill, but it's limited by it's AA and it's capacity. The Rocket Launcher is overpowered, but it requires leading and has limited ammo. Making the grapple shot a wet noodle that has mechanics that tie it back just ends up breaking it's power fantasy. Literally my whole point is that equipment is overpowered. So is any power weapon. They're overpowered because the whole point of Halo is to control those items. You don't need to balance the hell out of something and break it's power fantasy if you limit it's presence on a map, or the maps it is present on.

The weapons and items on a map can be pivotal in the identity of the map as well. Guardian and Lockout both feature sniper rifles, and it's a huge part of the identity of those maps. Midship has the Sword. Not every map needs every item in the game; limiting them to certain maps is a great way of establishing their identity.
The sniper rifle and rocket launcher are overpowered because they're OHK?? Ummm, that's their role. That's how they function. You obviously don't know what the word overpowered even means. A weapon becomes overpowered if it performs too efficiently beyond its intended role, and the rocket launcher and sniper rifle respectively do not.

As for balance, you seem to also completely misunderstand the concept. You can have diverse weapons that fill unique roles so that they are desirable in different situations, that is literally the basic design philosophy of an arena shooter. The shotgun dominates at close range, the rocket launcher does amazing splash damage and is effective against vehicles, the sidearm is quick to draw to finish off kills, the sniper rifle is the best weapon at long range etc. All very different weapons, but all balanced
I feel like you barely read my post. Those weapons are overpowered. That's the point. Jaime Griesemer talked about this during this GDC conference when discussing tuning the Sniper Rifle in Halo 3. Power Weapons and Pickups are intentionally overpowered because they are supposed to have more command over the gameplay. They are all much, much stronger than the starting weapons. The Grapple shot is strong because that's it's role. It's a counter to vehicle play without outright destroying the vehicle, while also having other roles as well. That makes it desirable. The Equipment of Halo Infinite is self-empowering, where the Equipment of Halo 3 was very universal and affected both teams equally.

Is the power drain Overpowered? It has multiple uses. It can counter vehicles, multiple at once in fact, while also removing shields from everyone in it's radius. It even goes through walls and can roll through a room! If the Power Drain respawned every 30 seconds, it'd get real old, real quick. Instead of gutting the Power Drain and removing it's multi-faceted functions, Bungie chose to give it a longer respawn timer in order to BALANCE IT. This method of Balancing also allows players to go buck-wild in Custom Games without having weak pickups that suffered because their mechanics were nerfed instead of their presence in the gameplay. If Rockets on Ivory Tower/Reflection were too strong on the map, do you reduce the effectiveness of the rockets? Or increase the spawn timer? If the Sword is too strong on Lockout, do you nerf it's range? Or do you just reduce it's presence in the map? If the Repulsor is too strong on Live Fire, do you remove it's ability to super-jump and reflect 100% of damage received, or do you just have it spawn maybe three times in a standard match instead of five? Changing the amount of time you get to use an item in a game is a great way to balance something without outright killing it's character or reducing it's fun-factor.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3