Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Ideas for balancing Grappleshot

OP RegentTitan453

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
It's equipment so I'd imagine it's a one or two time use item? That being said it would have a timer for respawning which means first of all it won't be on all maps and secondly it won't be constantly happening
Rancheroni wrote:
343 Finds out that the grapple shot is too present and deciding too many fights? Increase the spawn time, or outright remove it from maps that it's problematic on.
This is one of the laziest, most cop-out methods of balancing gameplay mechanics. In fact, it's more an illusion of balance than genuine balance. 343 have taken the time to introduce a really interesting mechanic in the grappleshot, the least they can do is make sure its fun to use.

Imagine there is a bomb equipment which annihilates all players on the map but for friendlies. Making it spawn less doesn't make it any less frustrating, because it's still absolutely infuriating whenever its used.

The best way to balance the Grappler is by tweaking its base variables. Things like its range, velocity, magnetism, cooldown, number of uses etc
hey, i have an idea: mayhaps b o t h methods of balancing are viable.
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
We won't know until if it's op or unbalanced we play . Seems like pointless speculation until then
Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but giving players the ability to instantly hijack almost any vehicle they wish to sounds like a very abusable system to me. Finally getting the chance to try out the Wasp only to get pulled out instantly by some guy who found the weapon would be quite irritating. I'm not inventive enough to come up with a solution that works well, so I'm asking you guys for possible solutions to the problem.
What's is good about Halo Infinite is that these pieces of equipment are not detrimental to how the maps will work. The game and map layout has not been design around this. Meaning if it's not a part of the core gameplay it has the potential to be tweaked or even taken out of maps completely. So if it doesn't work at launch it can be taken out of maps and fine tuned. It isn't a part of the core gameplay so 343 can do what they want with it.
Exactly how are the maps not balanced with equipment like the grappleshot in mind?? 343 know they have to account for it, of course they're going to design the maps so that they work with the grappleshot.
I couldn't reply yesterday so I'll do it now. I never said that the maps were unbalanced. I only stated that because equipment isn't a part of the core gameplay it means that 343 can do whatever they want with it. If it doesn't work as intended then they can just take it out. Never even said anything about the map balancing or anything of the sort. Just that the maps are not designed around these mechanics because if they were then these pieces of equipment wouldn't be able to be removed because the map layout just wouldn't work. Take Halo 5 for example. Without enhanced movement the maps wouldn't work as they were intended. The maps have been made to fit the core gameplay aka enhanced movement in halo 5. And the maps have been made to fit the core gameplay in infinite. Aka not equipment. (If this is a dead conversation then blame the 5 comments cap)
What's is good about Halo Infinite is that these pieces of equipment are not detrimental to how the maps will work. The game and map layout has not been design around this. Meaning if it's not a part of the core gameplay it has the potential to be tweaked or even taken out of maps completely. So if it doesn't work at launch it can be taken out of maps and fine tuned. It isn't a part of the core gameplay so 343 can do what they want with it.
Exactly how are the maps not balanced with equipment like the grappleshot in mind?? 343 know they have to account for it, of course they're going to design the maps so that they work with the grappleshot.
Just that the maps are not designed around these mechanics because if they were then these pieces of equipment wouldn't be able to be removed because the map layout just wouldn't work.
This is just plain wrong. What sense does it make for 343 not to design their maps with equipment in mind, when equipment is such a pivotal part of the game?

So in other words, you don't expect them to design maps with lots of ledges and areas where the grappleshot can be used in case it becomes problematic....well then what is the point of putting it into the game?

That is just setting up equipment to fail as a mechanic, and really quite a negative approach to game design.

If they have any sense they will design maps under the premise that equipment will be fun, not game breaking. After all, they've clearly tested it extensively already, and it's hard to see how it would ever be game breaking given that they have so many variables to tweak if the need should arise.
The equipment in Infinite seems to encourage individualistic play more than team play, which is different from how Halo 3's equipment works. With that being said, I don't think that's a bad thing. It's just different is all. To that end, the Grappleshot doesn't look unbalanced to me.
Just that the maps are not designed around these mechanics because if they were then these pieces of equipment wouldn't be able to be removed because the map layout just wouldn't work.
This is just plain wrong. What sense does it make for 343 not to design their maps with equipment in mind, when equipment is such a pivotal part of the game?

So in other words, you don't expect them to design maps with lots of ledges and areas where the grappleshot can be used in case it becomes problematic....well then what is the point of putting it into the game?

That is just setting up equipment to fail as a mechanic, and really quite a negative approach to game design.

If they have any sense they will design maps under the premise that equipment will be fun, not game breaking. After all, they've clearly tested it extensively already, and it's hard to see how it would ever be game breaking given that they have so many variables to tweak if the need should arise.
I'll rephrase as I do think I got a few things wrong.

I do think there will be ledges and higher areas and all of that. However, this doesn't mean the Grappleshot is a core part of the gameplay. If it doesn't work on a map it can be taken away. Never said it was gonna be game breaking nor did I utter the phrase. The only thing that I stated is that 343 is able to change things like the Grappleshot around if there is a problem. Didn't say that it was game breaking and I do accept the fact that I may have been wrong in saying that the maps won't be designed with equipment in mind but equipment isn't detrimental for the flow of gameplay and how the map will be. I honestly don't think that the Grappleshot is broken nor underpowered. I think it's fine. And never implied that I was worried about how it will be, just that 343 has breathing room to tweak it if needed. And aswell the Grappleshot is a multi tool equipment. Take weapons, grapple jack and all. It ain't just a way to fly around the map. But if you know that then apologies for the assumption.
If their ends up being no laser on the maps, then yeah I dont mind, I'm sure you can splatter people trying to grapple on you. Either way still better than being one shot from a laser.
surfer45 wrote:
If their ends up being no laser on the maps, then yeah I dont mind, I'm sure you can splatter people trying to grapple on you. Either way still better than being one shot from a laser.
They gotta drop the Spartan laser. We haven't seen it which at this point is a good thing to see. I feel like for me it kinda screwed up the vehicle sandbox. "Got a tank? Oh yeah let's get some kills." "Oh man, a tank? Well it's a good thing I've got a Spartan laser." 3 seconds later the scorpion couldn't even move to middle of the map and it's destroyed. It looks to be like the Javelin is the replacement. At least I hope cos the Spartan laser is too strong for the game to work imo
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3