Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

If Multiplayer is a simulation, why not add...?

OP Battle

If multiplayer is a simulation, why not add everything?

The Weapons, Vehicles, Power ups, Equipment, every grenade variant? Every useable thing from Halo CE through Halo Wars 2.

Not everything needs to be in every match. Thats up it 343 the make each map fun. It would even be good to see maps variants in different playlists. As an example, Social slayer could have deployable gravlifts on the same map competitive doesn't. Or they could swap things from social and competitive. They could have a banshee on a map in competitive then swap it for the falcon in social. Even different gametypes could swap things maybe brute choppers in slayer and swap out with gungeese for Capture the Flag.
Because it would be effectively impossible. Dev time and resources are not infinite, there is only so much time to design, model, texture, record audio, bug fix, and balance any one particular sandbox item let alone all of them in the history of the Halo series across different genres....

Even taking the long term "live service" approach would still take a tremendous amount of time to get even a relatively small portion of them going, especially when a lot of these ideas were never meant to coexist with one enough it would mean even more work that would only serve to fracture the game further.

The best hope you would have would be mod support but even then it is not like that would be a magic catch all solution. Frankly I don't understand why anyone would even want such a bloated mismatched sandbox. I'll take a more modest sandbox with true variety and polish over a half baked, overstuffed sandbox any day.
The simple way to solve this would allow customs browser. But that’s no longer going to happen
The simple way to solve this would allow customs browser. But that’s no longer going to happen
It's not?

I don't remember 343 stating that Infinite wouldn't get a customs browser, but the MCCs browser has been deprioritized till such a team as when Reach + updates'n'fixes are released.
Battle wrote:
If multiplayer is a simulation, why not add everything?

The Weapons, Vehicles, Power ups, Equipment, every grenade variant? Every useable thing from Halo CE through Halo Wars 2.

Not everything needs to be in every match. Thats up it 343 the make each map fun. It would even be good to see maps variants in different playlists. As an example, Social slayer could have deployable gravlifts on the same map competitive doesn't. Or they could swap things from social and competitive. They could have a banshee on a map in competitive then swap it for the falcon in social. Even different gametypes could swap things maybe brute choppers in slayer and swap out with gungeese for Capture the Flag.
Because simulation or not, all those things still need to be created with assets and then be balanced around the rest of the sandbox.
I haven't heard that. It sounds like a HUGE mistake not to allow a customs browser since customs is one of the biggest features in previous Halo games.
I haven't heard that. It sounds like a HUGE mistake not to allow a customs browser since customs is one of the biggest features in previous Halo games.
Having customs and having a custom browser were you can personalize everything or even using mods are two separate things though! :P

- -

That aside, can we drop the simulation thing? It's useless and bounds the MP to lore quite heavily. Luckily it never stopped 343i to add crazy stuff like the Goblin, but at the same time it means everything crazy added to multiplayer is part of the lore now. It's a lose-lose situation when you think about it! :P
We'd probably have to wait 10 instead of 5 years