Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

If the Flood are returning...

OP Gearetic

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If the Flood are actually making a comeback in Infinite, 343i SHOULD NOT tell us about it or even tease it before release IN ANY WAY. They should keep their lips sealed on this one because part of what would make their comeback that much more impactful and iconic is if we don't know about it until we experience the game ourselves.

That being said, to all the Flood fans out there, don't hold your breath. I know it's tempting to dream about a Flood return but let's keep our expectations planted firmly in what we know about the game for certain.
I agree. However I'd personally prefer the flood to not make a return anytime soon.
I agree. However I'd personally prefer the flood to not make a return anytime soon.
Why?
Gearetic wrote:
Why?
Can’t speak for them, but personally the story for Infinite already seems so bloated. We’ve got the Banished doing their thing, Cortana and her forces are out there in some capacity too. Mixing in the Flood could just be making things too chaotic. Worked for CE because it was the first game and all new for everyone, but for Infinite they should conclude one story first before cramming in the Flood.
Gearetic wrote:
Why?
Can’t speak for them, but personally the story for Infinite already seems so bloated. We’ve got the Banished doing their thing, Cortana and her forces are out there in some capacity too. Mixing in the Flood could just be making things too chaotic. Worked for CE because it was the first game and all new for everyone, but for Infinite they should conclude one story first before cramming in the Flood.
chaos to some order to others.
to be serious though it would certainly turn infinite's story into a massive blood fest with all sides just tearing into each other. doesn't mean it wont be fun just makes it harder to understand for newer players. what I think they could do to make it better is possibly have small out breaks at key locations that the player has to deal with. but to make it clear it would be very chaotic with 3-5 factions tearing into eachother
Gearetic wrote:
Why?
I'd just like to see them stick to exploring other areas for now.
I hope the flood comes back and takes over the Prometheans from Cortana. That would allow 343i to redesign both.
I agree 343 need to keep it a secret and let the gamers find out!!
I think it depends on how they are handled to be honest. If Infinite is going to be the next 10 years of Halo the. There’s no reason the flood couldn’t break containment or something after the launch story concludes.

honestly if the Flood does return I actually want to SEE and ‘FEEL’ it’s presence. I’m talking less wildlife in an infected area, changes to said area such as spore mounds, spore like ‘fog/mist’ in the at atmosphere and don’t just make it an outside Flood shooting rang. I mean set up a mission where we are warned containment in ‘areaX’ is about to go down so we have to race there enter the structure and clear out a dark foreboding Flood infested site. (Think Silent Cartographer but with Flood instead of Covies and have us to work our way through the hoard to a control panel to re-establish containment.)
I agree, mystery is great. Especially for the Flood.
I hate the video games or even movie trailers the spoiler too much of the good stuff that you want to be surprised over.
I like where your mind-set is!
Gearetic wrote:
Why?
Not sure I agree. Like you yourself said, CE handled 4 competing factions very gracefully and it also contributed to plenty of gameplay variety - which is why I'm interested in the flood return. If the entire game is going to be shooting at either the Banished or whatever Cortana's got, it may end up feeling stale compared to CE, which is the game that Infinite seems to be aiming to emulate at least to some degree.

For the narrative side of things, it would depend on the execution, but for gameplay it would make a great addition to pacing depending on how they spread out the content.
Octdi wrote:
I agree, mystery is great. Especially for the Flood.
I hate the video games or even movie trailers the spoiler too much of the good stuff that you want to be surprised over.
I like where your mind-set is!
I hate modern marketing, it spoils everything to the point where there's nothing left to surprise you when the content drops.
I think it depends on how they are handled to be honest. If Infinite is going to be the next 10 years of Halo the. There’s no reason the flood couldn’t break containment or something after the launch story concludes.

honestly if the Flood does return I actually want to SEE and ‘FEEL’ it’s presence. I’m talking less wildlife in an infected area, changes to said area such as spore mounds, spore like ‘fog/mist’ in the at atmosphere and don’t just make it an outside Flood shooting rang. I mean set up a mission where we are warned containment in ‘areaX’ is about to go down so we have to race there enter the structure and clear out a dark foreboding Flood infested site. (Think Silent Cartographer but with Flood instead of Covies and have us to work our way through the hoard to a control panel to re-establish containment.)
That would be pretty cool ngl
I think MS is going to be targeting a T rating again, and I think the Flood are just a hard block for that as we've known them in previous games.

BUT if they really wanted to bring the flood back and still keep the T rating, they could make the Flood only infect Prometheans (assuming they're in the game). Robot zombies probably won't raise the game from a T to M.

I have no clue how they would be able to justify it through lore though.
I doubt were going to them in any major story Arc compacity but I imagine they might do something with them down the road similar to Gears of war escape mode they had easily do a quarantine version of such.

also for those that want something to scratch that flood itch some community members are creating a flood/Fan horror game called the Branching Sickness

here there twitter for some updates on it Here
Even if they don't show up in the initial Campaign at launch, they'll probably appear down the road at some point. We've got 10 planned years for Infinite, so that's plenty of time to incorporate them in somewhere.
Technically they already have
I think MS is going to be targeting a T rating again, and I think the Flood are just a hard block for that as we've known them in previous games.

BUT if they really wanted to bring the flood back and still keep the T rating, they could make the Flood only infect Prometheans (assuming they're in the game). Robot zombies probably won't raise the game from a T to M.

That would obliterate the canon. Who knows, maybe they could manage to have Flood but keep the T rating regardless?

In any case, I would rather see the Flood return in a DLC. I feel like the Flood should have a buildup, especially for new players who don't even know about the Flood.

That would obliterate the canon. Who knows, maybe they could manage to have Flood but keep the T rating regardless?
I think the only way to do that would be to get rid of all of the gibbing that happens to flood when you shoot/ melee them.

I guess I haven't checked in a long time, but ESRB used to give an automatic M if a game had any dismemberment in it. Even just one instance.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we get an M rated game and possibly have the fluid return too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see 🍻
Zeta Halo has some big Flood history so it wouldn't be crazy to think that they will not return, it seems very likely that they will at some point further into the campaign.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2