Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

If you had to choose: which hero(es) would die?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This part is always sad to talk about, but I'll bring it up. Now yes, as of right now we know absolutely nothing about the story for Infinite so we can't make any real solid predictions. However, this is just fun discussion. If you had to choose, which hero(es) would you have die in Infinite?
Locke, Cortana, Halsey, maybe Lasky. To be honest, any of the SIV's will do.
Tanaka, boring character.
People shouldn't die just for the shake of shock. It should makes sense in the story. Any of the Spartan IV's wouldn't be that impactful unless it was Palmer, Locke or Buck. Maybe lose a lesser one to drive a larger role?

I honestly can see Dr. Halsey essentially killing herself to make an A.I. from her actual brain, therefore creating a stronger version of Cortana. You could feel her death, a big character, but it has value you can appreciate.
DonVinzone wrote:
Locke, Cortana, Halsey, maybe Lasky. To be honest, any of the SIV's will do.
Its not Locke's fault he was on the receiving end of a poorly told story. I still think he holds a lot of value to the franchise in spin-offs and even main line games if handled properly because he is an interesting character.
I could see a member of blue team dying. The impact that would on chief and his character development would be substantial. This is assuming blue team will even be in the game at all, though.
I could see a member of blue team dying. The impact that would on chief and his character development would be substantial. This is assuming blue team will even be in the game at all, though.
I think they should leave blue team be. They are the last of a great race. Allow them to move on, spin offs, lead other units etc.
I think a good death is earned, and no character other than Cortana going forward from Halo 4 has done anything to earn one. I think a lot of characters should be cut and the ones that remain should be fleshed out before considering killing them off.
DonVinzone wrote:
Locke, Cortana, Halsey, maybe Lasky. To be honest, any of the SIV's will do.
Its not Locke's fault he was on the receiving end of a poorly told story. I still think he holds a lot of value to the franchise in spin-offs and even main line games if handled properly because he is an interesting character.
I think he's quite dull but established just enough to pull off a heroic suicidal mission that'll leave most of us pleased with him actually doing, well, something and at the same time being done with him.

I could see a member of blue team dying. The impact that would on chief and his character development would be substantial. This is assuming blue team will even be in the game at all, though.
This however won't work for Blue Team. They're essential to book lore but they're inclusion in the games so far has been so underwhelming that they might just as well have been an entirely different set of characters. Killing them would feel cheap and a loss of potential. Besides, we nee more S2/3s and less Spartan Power Rangers of the fourth generation.
DonVinzone wrote:
I think he's quite dull but established just enough to pull off a heroic suicidal mission that'll leave most of us pleased with him actually doing, well, something and at the same time being done with him.
He's quite dull because he wasn't used much as a character in Halo 5. He acted more of an encyclopedic vessel for the player to get to the next point in the mission to stop/assist/rescue Chief. That didn't offer much to his character development.

I can see way more people going "lol good riddance" than "oh, no. Locke has died. How heroic :'(". Actually using the character to what he was advertised as and delving into that kind of operation would be more beneficial than using death as a garbage can to rid a character that doesn't strike your fancy.
He most likely won't fit within Infinite, but I certainly don't want to see him offed in a thinly veiled attempt at ridding an S-IV.

DonVinzone wrote:
Killing them would feel cheap and a loss of potential.
Couldn't the same be applied to Locke? If 343i dropped the ball on established characters -- who, mind you, had 14 years of build up -- yet they're given the pass, why is Locke any different?

DonVinzone wrote:
Besides, we nee more S2/3s and less Spartan Power Rangers of the fourth generation.
Is the Power Ranger assertion due to their armor? Because they don't look like Power Rangers, nor do they act like them, either. I do, however, agree that more S-IIs and S-IIIs are welcome, if appropriately fit within the game(s).
Chief is getting old. Let him die and replace his role with Jerome.

Cortana should have stayed dead. Kill her.
ShotAces wrote:
Chief is getting old. Let him die and replace his role with Jerome.

Cortana should have stayed dead. Kill her.
Chief is not even into his 50's yet, and humans live much longer in the Halo Universe than they do in our reality. Killing him because he's 'old' would actually make a lot of people quite angry.
DonVinzone wrote:
DonVinzone wrote:
Locke, Cortana, Halsey, maybe Lasky. To be honest, any of the SIV's will do.
Its not Locke's fault he was on the receiving end of a poorly told story. I still think he holds a lot of value to the franchise in spin-offs and even main line games if handled properly because he is an interesting character.
I think he's quite dull but established just enough to pull off a heroic suicidal mission that'll leave most of us pleased with him actually doing, well, something and at the same time being done with him.

I could see a member of blue team dying. The impact that would on chief and his character development would be substantial. This is assuming blue team will even be in the game at all, though.
This however won't work for Blue Team. They're essential to book lore but they're inclusion in the games so far has been so underwhelming that they might just as well have been an entirely different set of characters. Killing them would feel cheap and a loss of potential. Besides, we nee more S2/3s and less Spartan Power Rangers of the fourth generation.
Again, that is due mostly to how he was handled in 5. His backstory and even how he was handled in the marketing campaign was fantastic. It was just executed poorly. Dont kill off one characters just because of your own misuse of that character. Make him better.

Your point of blue team comes off as contradictory with all due respect. You claim killing off Blue Team would be a loss of potential, yet Locke would not be? even though Blue Team has established lore with whole books written about them and with Locke that has barley touched the surface?
tL Armada wrote:
DonVinzone wrote:
I think he's quite dull but established just enough to pull off a heroic suicidal mission that'll leave most of us pleased with him actually doing, well, something and at the same time being done with him.
He's quite dull because he wasn't used much as a character in Halo 5. He acted more of an encyclopedic vessel for the player to get to the next point in the mission to stop/assist/rescue Chief. That didn't offer much to his character development.

I can see way more people going "lol good riddance" than "oh, no. Locke has died. How heroic :'(". Actually using the character to what he was advertised as and delving into that kind of operation would be more beneficial than using death as a garbage can to rid a character that doesn't strike your fancy.
He most likely won't fit within Infinite, but I certainly don't want to see him offed in a thinly veiled attempt at ridding an S-IV.

DonVinzone wrote:
Killing them would feel cheap and a loss of potential.
Couldn't the same be applied to Locke? If 343i dropped the ball on established characters -- who, mind you, had 14 years of build up -- yet they're given the pass, why is Locke any different?

DonVinzone wrote:
Besides, we nee more S2/3s and less Spartan Power Rangers of the fourth generation.
Is the Power Ranger assertion due to their armor? Because they don't look like Power Rangers, nor do they act like them, either. I do, however, agree that more S-IIs and S-IIIs are welcome, if appropriately fit within the game(s).
Well, because he and other's simply like Blue Team more than Locke is all. Which is fine, but it is the reason he is justifying it. (I think) I also like Blue Team more, but doesnt mean i want them to abandon Locke too.
Pluto70 wrote:
I could see a member of blue team dying. The impact that would on chief and his character development would be substantial. This is assuming blue team will even be in the game at all, though.
I think they should leave blue team be. They are the last of a great race. Allow them to move on, spin offs, lead other units etc.
In a perfect world i would like to see them stay too. Given they are even in the game.
tL Armada wrote:
Well, because he and other's simply like Blue Team more than Locke is all. Which is fine, but it is the reason he is justifying it. (I think) I actually myself enjoy Blue Team more. Doesnt mean i want one character killed off over another simply because
Oh, I have no issue with people having a preference. I totally get why Blue team is more beloved by the community than Locke. I do, however, take issue with any character being thrown in the grinder instead of being improved, as that's simply wasteful. That was the crux of my comment to DonVinzone.
Juan, have we killed him yet?

Well I think the best question is how do we want to end these character arcs. There are good ways and there are the D.B. &D.W. ways of ending a character arc. (Thi final season of GoT were both good examples of how not to end them).

Well lets take a look at how arcs were ended in Halo CE. I mean MC and Crotona were isolated in the middle of nowhere with only "Dust and Echo's" around them. We all seen how Keys died, and we assumed Sgt. Johnson, 343 Guilty Spark, and Pvt. Jenkins died with everyone else on that ring. So that was a satisfying ending to the arcs.

H2 had no ending

H3 was also a satisfying endings, MC went full circle from waking into the stasis pod to going back into the stasis pod (wake me when you need me). They killed off Sgt Johnson and 343GS for real this time as you get to witness them and finally get payback for 343 being so annoying (remembering my old "Honk" If you think 343 Guilty Spark needs to DIE thread on the old Bungie.net forms). Keyes dies (again), Truth dies, and Arbiter returns home with Lord Hood concluding the UNSC side of the war. Those were satisfying endings.

Reach was more like Death's Row, you just had to wait until you finally get to cross of another name from the list with you being the last one of course (Tributes, Assemble!).

I don't know what to do about H5, not only is there two Spartan teams, with none of them mute like the 3rd or 4th Halo characters, but all the ones from H4.Too many characters, I sort of want the rings to fire and just kill everyone and set the galaxy on restart again. But that might be overdoing it a little.
This part is always sad to talk about, but I'll bring it up. Now yes, as of right now we know absolutely nothing about the story for Infinite so we can't make any real solid predictions. However, this is just fun discussion. If you had to choose, which hero(es) would you have die in Infinite?
Lackey and palmer only if the flood are involved
Cortana
Warden eternal
tL Armada wrote:
DonVinzone wrote:
I think he's quite dull but established just enough to pull off a heroic suicidal mission that'll leave most of us pleased with him actually doing, well, something and at the same time being done with him.
He's quite dull because he wasn't used much as a character in Halo 5. He acted more of an encyclopedic vessel for the player to get to the next point in the mission to stop/assist/rescue Chief. That didn't offer much to his character development.

I can see way more people going "lol good riddance" than "oh, no. Locke has died. How heroic :'(". Actually using the character to what he was advertised as and delving into that kind of operation would be more beneficial than using death as a garbage can to rid a character that doesn't strike your fancy.
He most likely won't fit within Infinite, but I certainly don't want to see him offed in a thinly veiled attempt at ridding an S-IV.

DonVinzone wrote:
Killing them would feel cheap and a loss of potential.
Couldn't the same be applied to Locke? If 343i dropped the ball on established characters -- who, mind you, had 14 years of build up -- yet they're given the pass, why is Locke any different?

DonVinzone wrote:
Besides, we nee more S2/3s and less Spartan Power Rangers of the fourth generation.
Is the Power Ranger assertion due to their armor? Because they don't look like Power Rangers, nor do they act like them, either. I do, however, agree that more S-IIs and S-IIIs are welcome, if appropriately fit within the game(s).
Well, because he and other's simply like Blue Team more than Locke is all. Which is fine, but it is the reason he is justifying it. (I think) I also like Blue Team more, but doesnt mean i want them to abandon Locke too.
Pluto70 wrote:
I could see a member of blue team dying. The impact that would on chief and his character development would be substantial. This is assuming blue team will even be in the game at all, though.
I think they should leave blue team be. They are the last of a great race. Allow them to move on, spin offs, lead other units etc.
In a perfect world i would like to see them stay too. Given they are even in the game.
Ultra quote but here we go.

It might seem contradicting, my point about BT, but it really is not. BT was established in Halo books from day one. They play a crucial role in many books and are (essentially) part of what makes up Chief's character. They were badly introduced into the games, without any explanation to those who didn't read the books but they still meam something to the grand scheme of things.
Locke on the other hand doesn't have that importance (yet) and his intended role as a Chief replacement has failed miserably. He's just there, just like many H4/5 characters. Sure, you could do something with him to redeem that. But the question was: who would you rather see die? Locke is the one that has most potential for a fan pleasing death.

As for the SIV Power Rangers: they just remind me of them with all of the over the top action scenes and flip flopping around. The only thing missing are sparks flying around when hit.
DonVinzone wrote:
Locke, Cortana, Halsey, maybe Lasky. To be honest, any of the SIV's will do.
Its not Locke's fault he was on the receiving end of a poorly told story. I still think he holds a lot of value to the franchise in spin-offs and even main line games if handled properly because he is an interesting character.
I agree. Although Locke wasn’t great in halo 5 he does have potential to be a cool character. 343 could make really cool spin offs about his time as an oni agent or something.
Every newly introduced character since H4.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2