Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Implications of the Halo lore after Halo Infinite?

OP sprtnKurt051

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hello, I have a question. If the Arbiter gonna get his own spin off video game in future Halo installments, where will it set in the Halo Universe? Is it possible that the Arbiter spin off video game will be set after Halo 4, during Halo 5: Guardians and before Halo Infinite?
Hello, I have a question. If the Arbiter gonna get his own spin off video game in future Halo installments, where will it set in the Halo Universe? Is it possible that the Arbiter spin off video game will be set after Halo 4, during Halo 5: Guardians and before Halo Infinite?
I doubt that the Arbiter will get his own game but if he did, it would probably be set come time while Chief is in cryosleep on the Dawn.
Nothing is being "erased". It takes place after Halo 5, it doesn't mean it will go in a new direction, but one of the coolest aspects of the Halo Universe (in my opinion) is the great interconnected continuity between the games, expanded universe novels, comics, etc. They strengthen each other in a really unique way that I really haven't seen in a "transmedia" franchise, other than maybe Star Wars?

Continuity and Lore is a huge backbone of Halo at this point, don't count on a retcon.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don't make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It's like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn't the main problem....it's that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.
Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.

These designs can co-exist.
Designs tend to change all the time except there's usually some consistency. The Elites in 4,5 looked nothing like anything from the Sangheili race, if it wasn't for the weapons/vehicles they could have been easily mistaken for a completely different species. Heck the Grunts in 4/5 barely passed looking like grunts but that doesn't mean they should stay there for the sake of it. I feel like this is more about quality control since the classic designs are great but the 4,5 Elites/Grunts need a massive overhaul to be believable since at the moment there bringing down the quality of the games.

Look at the Jackels for an example each improved and the Skirmishers were even created as a sub-species, yet they fit with what we know of the consistent design of the Jackels, yet the Elites in 4,5 do not match the pre-existing lore/designs in any way in previous Halo games.
Gonna disagree with ya on the elites. They still look like elites, just bigger and less elegant. If elites in H1-3 were Humans, H4-5 were neanderthals (just without the intelligence drop)
Agree to disagree. If they hadn't worn the armour I doubt many people would even class them as the same species but poor knock off attempts. Halo 4-5 elites were basically just Brutes with everything about their general tone, design and behaviour completely removed, with 4/5 lore it made it look like the entire species were wiped out then replaced by poor attempt at making impostors.
I do not disagree that their replacement of other elites who were the other phenotype was dumb and made no sense. That being said, they still looked like elites. The exact same look? No but still a type of elite (the armor is something I think looks less like elites than the design of the phenotype itself. Whether you like the look or not is irrelevant. Both though can exist at the same time and I honestly wish that's the route they go even though it would essentially double the work needed.
Still have to disagree with you there. I hate the design of the 4,5 elites and don't see how something that does not match the consistent classic design should be tolerated for the sake of it or how the look of the proper classic elite can co-exist.

Just stop telling me what is 'irrelevant' just because your opinion differs. The 4,5 designs make no sense for consistency, to force them makes the games look worse.
Ya, I am aware and again, you ignore the canonical explanation of phenotypes. This explanation works for a fast majority of the elites in h4 and h5. Its does not work for the arbiter which can be adjusted in infinite. They anatomically do line up with elites in 1-3 (leg shape, torso shape etc). They differ in size and head shape. Which is fine because they are a different phenotype, meaning they are not the exact same as 1-3. You should be more upset about H2A and HW2 elites as those are the same phenotype as 1-3 and still alter them as much as 1-5. H2A elites have different head shapes, eye placement, mandible placement etc. They are similar in size but that's about it. Your issue is not about the elites fitting canon (which they do, regardless if you like the phenotype explanation or not) and is more about you just not liking them (which is fine).
Already stated multiply times that variations in sub-species exist in Halo like Jackels/Skirmishers, even the Flood.
2ndly you're the only one ignoring what's been said since you're claiming I haven't talked about things like sub-species, yet I literally gave you examples in the Halo universe.
And if I hate a design that's my choice then yeh I have every right to not want something mixed with current designs if I believe the design are of poor design, I'm not the only one as I've stated with facts via links from popular streamers with many people agreeing with me on this. I don't have any issues with HW2 or Halo 2A Elites, what I have a problem with is bad character design and you're the only one here trying to make this about hating on all general sub-species. I stated quite clearly numerous times that the designs are of poor design, I even compared them to the Flood because more research was done to make them look unique, believable in HW2.

If 343i chooses to make a new design inspired by the 4/5 Elites design then it might be fine if proper research, time is put into the design but in this specific case I strongly feel H4/5 Elites designs make no sense. To be blunt I'm fine with sub-species, my problem is with poor designs that mess up the general look of the species overall in such a way that makes them mostly unrecognisable with the established canon.
The argument "retcon cause I do not like it" is not a justifiable reason. Retcons should only happen when lore contradicts itself, and even then, sometimes the new lore is better then the old (subjective though so). The only thing out of 5 that should be retconned is Arbiters design because that change makes no sense.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Things like Elite and Grunt designs don’t even need to be retconned. Enemy designs more or less change between each game
When a design is a bad design then yes certain designs do need to be retconned/removed when they don't make any sense in the Halo universe plus the Halo 4,5 designs made the general games look worse due to the art style. It's like trying to force a jigsaw puzzle with another Jigsaw despite it not fitting well with the overall design just for the sake of it. Story isn't the main problem....it's that 4,5 art style was completely out of place in the whole Halo universe. Not every art style should be forced for the sake of it.
Or they could just move on with a different design and go from there. The problem with the “it doesn’t fit the universe” argument is that is so subjective. You still could completely identify what the species and weapons and vehicles and so on were. You can like or dislike certain aspects, but a retcon isn’t necessary. Again, past games offered different designs essentially with each game. This was seen major with the Brutes.

These designs can co-exist.
Designs tend to change all the time except there's usually some consistency. The Elites in 4,5 looked nothing like anything from the Sangheili race, if it wasn't for the weapons/vehicles they could have been easily mistaken for a completely different species. Heck the Grunts in 4/5 barely passed looking like grunts but that doesn't mean they should stay there for the sake of it. I feel like this is more about quality control since the classic designs are great but the 4,5 Elites/Grunts need a massive overhaul to be believable since at the moment there bringing down the quality of the games.

Look at the Jackels for an example each improved and the Skirmishers were even created as a sub-species, yet they fit with what we know of the consistent design of the Jackels, yet the Elites in 4,5 do not match the pre-existing lore/designs in any way in previous Halo games.
Gonna disagree with ya on the elites. They still look like elites, just bigger and less elegant. If elites in H1-3 were Humans, H4-5 were neanderthals (just without the intelligence drop)
Agree to disagree. If they hadn't worn the armour I doubt many people would even class them as the same species but poor knock off attempts. Halo 4-5 elites were basically just Brutes with everything about their general tone, design and behaviour completely removed, with 4/5 lore it made it look like the entire species were wiped out then replaced by poor attempt at making impostors.
I do not disagree that their replacement of other elites who were the other phenotype was dumb and made no sense. That being said, they still looked like elites. The exact same look? No but still a type of elite (the armor is something I think looks less like elites than the design of the phenotype itself. Whether you like the look or not is irrelevant. Both though can exist at the same time and I honestly wish that's the route they go even though it would essentially double the work needed.
Still have to disagree with you there. I hate the design of the 4,5 elites and don't see how something that does not match the consistent classic design should be tolerated for the sake of it or how the look of the proper classic elite can co-exist.

Just stop telling me what is 'irrelevant' just because your opinion differs. The 4,5 designs make no sense for consistency, to force them makes the games look worse.
The argument "retcon cause I do not like it" is not a justifiable reason. Retcons should only happen when lore contradicts itself, and even then, sometimes the new lore is better then the old (subjective though so). The only thing out of 5 that should be retconned is Arbiters design because that change makes no sense.
Like I've said multiply times, have continued to repeat to the point where I'm sick of repeating myself...the designs do contradict the existing lore, pre-existing established race as a whole. The entire species was replaced by a completely different design including the Arbiter to a new design that some people like yourself are demanding it be a sub-species despite the fact you also seem to dislike the Arbiter retcon design for being turned into a possible sub-species.

So you're not fine with Arbiter lore being changed to a possible sub-species but are ok with forcing a sub-species that can't have physically existed previously that basically retconned the classic Elite species from existence as a whole for the sake of an art style change....seriously your reasoning on this makes no sense. Like I've also said in this thread sub-species multiply times can exist in the existing lore, the point is the Elites in 4,5 are of a poor design and a majority of people dislike the design and directly impacts how good/bad the game looks so yes I would rather these designs never return because they don't fit well with the overall game since the designs are awful. If sub-species do end up existing then the sub-species needs a major overhaul.

It sounds more like you want it in the game regardless of it makes sense or if people like/dislike the changes while acting like you're saying "anyone who dislikes it can't have any rational reasoning for disliking the changes, it should be forced no matter what". This is why character design needs proper research and time put into development before rushing them into game development since they can drastically hurt the story, effect the overall look of a game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3