Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Infinite a Sequel to MCC (Halo 4) / Halo Wars 2

OP JB Linken

Hey all,

Recently I've been playing through MCC again on my PC in preparation for ODST's addition to the PC version on September 22nd, 2020. While playing through on PC, I got to thinking about how given what we know about Halo Infinite, it could be interesting if the story is presented as a sequel to MCC / Halo Wars 2, rather than just a sequel to Halo 5: Guardians à la "Halo 6".

As you may or may not know, Halo 5: Guardian's story was received mixed results. This can be attributed as the case for pretty much any game with a large following, however when Halo Infinite launches on PC, PC players will have access to only Halos 1-4, ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars 1-2. The only absent title here is Halo 5: Guardians (sans Halo 5: Forge).

I got to thinking that I wonder if 343i will be able to present the story of Halo Infinite in such a way that could be seen as a sequel to MCC rather than just Halo 5. What I mean is yes, the events of Halo 5: Guardians took place, however the integration of its story into Halo Infinite is presented in such a way that a playthrough of Halo 5: Guardians is not mandatory for a greater understanding. Given that the trailers have showcased the Banished from Halo Wars 2, I am thinking this could be a cool presentation of the story of Halo Infinite.
I wholeheartedly believe that Infinite will take place within the ‘Cortana controlled galaxy’ similar to how CE took place during the Human-Covenant War era.

There will be mentions and references, but I think it will take more of a back seat to the story they are telling on Zeta Halo.
I wholeheartedly believe that Infinite will take place within the ‘Cortana controlled galaxy’ similar to how CE took place during the Human-Covenant War era.

There will be mentions and references, but I think it will take more of a back seat to the story they are telling on Zeta Halo.
I think this is a great idea! Perhaps it would be more fleshed out through optional content such as Terminals, akin to how we received additional lore via books.

Not sure if I agree. I think Cortana and The Created will play a prominent role. They are saying they want Halo Infinite to act like a conclusion to the Reclaimer saga, so the Created have to play a part. Plus, the EMP going off in the Discover Hope trailer? Good chance that's a Guardian.
JB Linken wrote:

I think this is a great idea! Perhaps it would be more fleshed out through optional content such as Terminals, akin to how we received additional lore via books.
I think the game might open with a “5 long years” style scene, in which it’s briefly explained that Cortana escaped with the guardians and quickly brought the galaxy to bare. The UNSC and various other factions that can evade the created with space travel, now fight for survival and control of vital locations.
Or something to that effect.
Halos 4 and 5 both opened with a brief cutscene with Halsey. Perhaps Infinite will too?

Not sure if I agree. I think Cortana and The Created will play a prominent role. They are saying they want Halo Infinite to act like a conclusion to the Reclaimer saga, so the Created have to play a part. Plus, the EMP going off in the Discover Hope trailer? Good chance that's a Guardian.
I hadn’t heard the comments regarding Infinite closing out the Reclaimer saga, but it could still work in this case. 343 intent the game to last a decade, I guess through campaign expansions a bit like Destiny, with new locations and missions. Perhaps they intend the overall ‘complete’ game to have an expansive story akin to the original trilogy(with the Created and the Banished defeated) and the launch campaign will essentially be the first act.

True, it does look like a guardian shows up in the trailer. Maybe the first mission is taking it out, and crash landing on the Halo, and the game continuing from there? Similar to CE, with the third act reveal of the flood, I think the created will show up again towards the end of the launch campaign, but maybe it’s just the Warden you have to face, saving Cortana for an endgame DLC.

As a side note, it would also be better to keep a Flood outbreak for their first DLC, as that way they could reuse and Foodify the existing world, instead of creating a while new map in a new location.
I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, I am not a fan at all of Halo 5's story. I try to pretend it didn't happen because I enjoyed 4's story so much and 5 didn't do anything with the interesting ideas 4 came up with in the final act.

That being said, when it comes to Star Wars I'm on the other side. The Last Jedi is one of my favorite Star Wars movies, but a lot of vocal people did not like TLJ leading to The Rise of Skywalker walking back most of the themes and ideas TLJ set up, and now TROS is my least favorite Star Wars by far as a result. So as much as I disliked 5's story, I don't want people who enjoyed it to get shafted in the same way I did with Star Wars.

So I think striking a balance between a full-on spiritual reboot that only references 4 and a direct sequel to 5 is necessary to avoid over-alienating fans. The problem is that the only way to really follow up on 5's ideas is to continue having Cortana as the main antagonist, which won't sit well with the "sequel to Halo 4" crowd. But glossing over it and saying "yeah Cortana took over and was defeated off-screen and now the game starts" would really not sit well with people who wanted a follow up on 5's story. So 343i is screwed either way.
ZnaZanZ wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, I am not a fan at all of Halo 5's story. I try to pretend it didn't happen because I enjoyed 4's story so much and 5 didn't do anything with the interesting ideas 4 came up with in the final act.

That being said, when it comes to Star Wars I'm on the other side. The Last Jedi is one of my favorite Star Wars movies, but a lot of vocal people did not like TLJ leading to The Rise of Skywalker walking back most of the themes and ideas TLJ set up, and now TROS is my least favorite Star Wars by far as a result. So as much as I disliked 5's story, I don't want people who enjoyed it to get shafted in the same way I did with Star Wars.

So I think striking a balance between a full-on spiritual reboot that only references 4 and a direct sequel to 5 is necessary to avoid over-alienating fans. The problem is that the only way to really follow up on 5's ideas is to continue having Cortana as the main antagonist, which won't sit well with the "sequel to Halo 4" crowd. But glossing over it and saying "yeah Cortana took over and was defeated off-screen and now the game starts" would really not sit well with people who wanted a follow up on 5's story. So 343i is screwed either way.
I agree with you, in that I don't people that enjoyed Halo 5: Guardians to be shafted as well.

This was more of how could the story be presented to a PC only audience that is still cohesive. Just a fun thought. And since you brought up Star Wars, I just realized a comparison you can make (among many) when thinking of these PC only games.

The Original Trilogy
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Halo 2
  • Halo 3
The Prequel Trilogy
  • Halo Wars
  • Halo: Reach
  • Halo 3: ODST
The Sequel Trilogy
  • Halo 4
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Halo Infinite
Now I post all that to just compare the different "trilogies" of both franchises in name only. It's kind of neat how they line up when you jumble up the Prequel games in their own chronological order. Also, I put "trilogies" in quotes as I made a similar post and some users were confused how the 3 prequel games could be a trilogy. I wasn't trying to convey they tell an interconnected story, but are just 3 games that share the commonality of being prequels. I think I may play through the games in this order before Halo Infinite comes out rather than the traditional release order!