Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Infinite customization: New helmets & gear

OP BeneficBen

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Firstly, as Halo Infinite's Spartan customization will take inspiration from Halo: Reach 's customization, I'd like to know how in-depth would you like Infinite's customization to be? Would you be satisfied with almost the exact same level of customization that Reach had or would you like Infinite to allow for even greater customization?

I personally would prefer Infinite to expand on what Reach's customization offered.

I'm a fan of the 'Tactical' look and I often equip my character as such in other games when I'm able to do so. I'd be very happy if Infinite customization gave me the ability to create something similar to the following setups in-game.
Gear 1.
Gear 2.
Gear 3.

Although Reach did an incredible job with the customization, I was disappointed that I wasn't able customize my Spartan to the extent shown in that concept art. Which is why I hope that Infinite further develops the level of detail possible in customization.

Next up, Helmets.

Although 343 has added a few new helmets that do look cool, most of them are quite ugly and look a bit odd.

I'm sure that the fan-favorites will return again in Infinite but I would like to see some new, improved, designs. I'd very much like to hear or see what new helmet designs you would suggest?

Here's my suggestions (imagine that the visor is a Spartan visor)
I agree with you Ben.

For me Halo Reach customzation system was the best by far. I will find awesome if Infinte includes an expanded version of it with more content!
I also liked to choose which customizations to buy while saving credits. With the actual random system, you can play hundred hours without having any customization you like🤪🔫

I agree with you about helmets. I like "classic" helmets design with a one piece visor. A lot of new ones are ugly and I can't understand how a spartan can see anything through a completly folded visor... but maybe it's just me. Once again, Reach helmets design were the best for me.
I agree with you Ben.

For me Halo Reach customzation system was the best by far. I will find awesome if Infinte includes an expanded version of it with more content!
I also liked to choose which customizations to buy while saving credits. With the actual random system, you can play hundred hours without having any customization you like🤪🔫

I'd definitely prefer armour to be unlockable rather than RNG, although it was cool to get some awesome armour in a random gold pack.

However, it's important that 343 makes sure that the objectives to unlock armour are reasonably achievable. Some games that I have seen often force players to play in a complicated way or cheat to unlock armour, which is not enjoyable at all.
I agree 100% with your first point. The second point is a bit tricky though.

If you include all of the helmets ever created in the franchise, there are a ton of them (thanks to 343's "custom" req helmets).

It makes it difficult to include the best helmets from past games, as well as a bunch of new helmets, without making the selection too large, like in H5.

I would start by including 2-3 of the best helmets from each past game, around 12 in total, then include maybe 8 of their best new designs. That puts the total number of helmets at 20.

The thing H5 did wrong was having hundreds of helmets to choose from, and the thing Reach did right was having a smaller list, with the ability to add attachments to the helmet.

There are of course some people who will be upset if their favorite old helmet wasn't brought back, or there aren't enough new ones, so you're never going to please everyone. But this could be a happy medium.
kjbart wrote:
It makes it difficult to include the best helmets from past games, as well as a bunch of new helmets, without making the selection too large, like in H5.

I would start by including 2-3 of the best helmets from each past game, around 12 in total, then include maybe 8 of their best new designs. That puts the total number of helmets at 20.

The thing H5 did wrong was having hundreds of helmets to choose from, and the thing Reach did right was having a smaller list, with the ability to add attachments to the helmet.
That sound like a very efficient way to solve the issue of the amount of helmets 👍

Although it would be initially time-consuming, having a community-wide poll on which helmets from which games people would be most interested in sounds like the best way for the community to give their input.

Alternatively, 343 could swap out the current most disliked helmets for a set of new ones that are able to have attachments, which would allow for the expanded detail I mentioned in my OP.
I'm asking a lot, but I want some insane depth to the armor customization, to have each individual part editable, down to the plates covering the hands, a little variety to undersuits and choice of cod pieces even to mix and match. A skin editor, (maybe like Forza in a way) to get maybe an emblem places on your character, add wear and tear textures, service numbers even. This would be time consuming but atleast creating a unique character will be easily achievable. This would go with Sangheili customization too if we can use them again.. Allowing us to atleast have choices of attachments on top of leg, chest, shoulders, helmet, wrists, utility varieties, visor, knees iunno. It would be taxing, so if certain features needed to be added post launch (skin editing for example) I would be okay with that.
And if we could use other species again, choices between Covenant styling, Jul 'Mdama's Storm Covenant, and Banished would be welcomed designs to me atleast. (I'd kill for a "Silent Shadow" variant for Elites)
I’m more interested in how we will be unlocking these customizations. Will it be a new system or something similar to credits in reach.
BeneficBen wrote:
Firstly, as Halo Infinite's Spartan customization will take inspiration from Halo: Reach 's customization, I'd like to know how in-depth would you like Infinite's customization to be? Would you be satisfied with almost the exact same level of customization that Reach had or would you like Infinite to allow for even greater customization?

I personally would prefer Infinite to expand on what Reach's customization offered.

I'm a fan of the 'Tactical' look and I often equip my character as such in other games when I'm able to do so. I'd be very happy if Infinite customization gave me the ability to create something similar to the following setups in-game.
Gear 1.
Gear 2.
Gear 3.

Although Reach did an incredible job with the customization, I was disappointed that I wasn't able customize my Spartan to the extent shown in that concept art. Which is why I hope that Infinite further develops the level of detail possible in customization.

Next up, Helmets.

Although 343 has added a few new helmets that do look cool, most of them are quite ugly and look a bit odd.

I'm sure that the fan-favorites will return again in Infinite but I would like to see some new, improved, designs. I'd very much like to hear or see what new helmet designs you would suggest?

Here's my suggestions (imagine that the visor is a Spartan visor)
Spoiler:
Show
I think it will great great to have a tactical style spartan, really on the line of Spartan Jun's armor from Reach
<p></p>
BeneficBen wrote:
However, it's important that 343 makes sure that the objectives to unlock armour are reasonably achievable. Some games that I have seen often force players to play in a complicated way or cheat to unlock armour, which is not enjoyable at all.
You mean like full parties of 12 capturing all the bases in Warzone but not destroying the other team's core because they want to "farm" kills for Achilles armor? Really hoping Spartan Company commendations aren't a thing in Halo Infinite
BeneficBen wrote:
You mean like full parties of 12 capturing all the bases in Warzone but not destroying the other team's core because they want to "farm" kills for Achilles armor? Really hoping Spartan Company commendations aren't a thing in Halo Infinite
Basically lol

I think it would be better to include Campaign or other game modes in the armour unlock requirements, rather than having them be entirely multiplayer related, to avoid that sort of thing.

The H3 Vidmasters are a good example of this.
I'd like to see different helmets than the ones we get in 5. I think the helmets in 5, just look odd and I've gotten a good handful that don't have a glass visor at all. It would also be really cool if we could customize just about every piece of the armor even further than in Reach.
BeneficBen wrote:
Would you be satisfied with almost the exact same level of customization that Reach had
No

Quote:
or would you like Infinite to allow for even greater customization?
I would hope players would want a better customization system, and not an imitation of a flawed system. That, while good, has MORE then enough room to improve.

Infact I detailed what I want in the Wishlist thread. Which I'll link here
This is just my opinion, but personally i would rather prefer see 343i work on the existing helmets and improve them than add new ones.
The existing helmets could have tactical improvements similar to Reach, with customizable effects and more darker colors improving the military aspect of these armors (the spartans are meant to be tactical weapons, making their armor bright and glowing in the dark make them easy to spot by the enemy)
By the way, the reference to Reach customisation by Chris Lee could mean two seperate things:
- more elaborate customisation than only helmet and body armour,
- or the way in which you unlock customisation items - spending currency on items you want (instead of randomised loot from boxes).

edit:
In other words, both these aspects could be implented without the other. Saying 'custumisation like Reach' doesn't immediately imply both, could be just one of the two.
This is just my opinion, but personally i would rather prefer see 343i work on the existing helmets and improve them than add new ones.
The existing helmets could have tactical improvements similar to Reach, with customizable effects and more darker colors improving the military aspect of these armors (the spartans are meant to be tactical weapons, making their armor bright and glowing in the dark make them easy to spot by the enemy)
The problem with this though is 343 created waaaay too many helmets, most of which were duplicates with different paint, or just plain ugly. So there really aren't many good ones to keep and improve on.
kjbart wrote:
The problem with this though is 343 created waaaay too many helmets, most of which were duplicates with different paint, or just plain ugly. So there really aren't many good ones to keep and improve on.
I mean the classical ones ;)
"...I can't understand how a spartan can see anything through a completly folded visor..."
I would think some helmets would probably have Augmented Reality screen bits integrated within sorta like the HUDs in the Titans from the Titanfall series, some examples would be the Gungir(?), Recluse, 'Toaster' helmet, and most other helmets that have most of their view blocked off as well. Also you gotta remember 343 has a few different concept artists in their staff so you're getting different art styles as well, which fits into the lore pretty well seeing how different companies make military gear in the Halo Universe as well as IRL i.e. Samsung has a little branch-off to develope military weapons and technology and such.

I have redesigned some of the 'ugly' helmets while sketching in my spare time and I think the 'Mask' helmet could actually look good if they trimmed the dome off the top of the 'mask' and create a sort of support arm like the Mako Helmet has.

343's art style for H5 wasn't horrible it was just handled the best, I have a fictional company called 'SMI' that uses that smooth and curvy art style, but the sub-companies that are owned by the Incorporation have their own art styles as well.

I wouldn't be upset to see the smooth art style completely disappear in Infinite, but it would be a shame if they avoided it completely. Halo Wars 2 used a wombo combo of the new/old for the UNSC Pelicans and the game looked gr8, but I'm thinkin regular Scorpion = Old Art style, but the Grizzly = New wide/bulky scorpion art style, you know?
Sorry for bumping, is there a way to code a toggle of whether or not a post bumps a topic? :L

It would be great to get armor skin customization sorta like the Rider Customization in the new Trials Rising Beta where you can pretty much make whatever design you want kinda like Forza, but with a 200 Layer limit.
I understand you could cover your Spartan in black, but have some color patches that make the more visible sections of your armor your team's color, then in the editor have a overlay toggle so you know where these team color splotches are gonna be so your design doesn't get covered up.
I know literally anyone is going to do inappropriate things to their armor so have an option to either completely block skins, block reported skins, or show all skins.

You could also link a n unlock system to the skin designer i.e. Beating Legendary gets you the Legendary emblem for your armor, 300 assassinations unlocks a cool knife emblem, and any other unlock could also provide a valid element to add to your skin! But uh, let us have letters, obviously bad armor skins will be made but the previous mentioned option could be thrown up at the player upon their first bootup of the game like most modern games these days that go through brightness and bounding box settings before the game has even started up.
kjbart wrote:
I mean the classical ones ;)
Ahh! Then we are in agreement.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3