Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Infinite's Assault Rifle - Sound design

OP Rickygforce

I sincerely hope that they change the Assault Rifle sound in some way, because to me, it sounded bland. The other weapons sounded fine, the Commando was beefy, the Bulldog was impactful, the Pistol sounded dinky (which it should because it's a weak sidearm), but the AR was just... meh? It sounded like if I recorded a 9mm SMG on a headset mic.

This is pretty important, considering that the AR is one of the most used and recognizable weapons in Halo multiplayer (just look at the MCC stats). To have it sound almost as bland as the popcorn-y Halo 3 AR is pretty disappointing. It would not be a good first impression for newcomers to the franchise to hear such a 'meh' sound from such a common and useful Halo weapon, but that's just my opinion.

What should it sound like? Probably the Reach or H4 AR, both seem to have similar rates-of-fire to Infinite's, and sound much more like actual Assault Rifles' audio from recordings and other media (whether it's 5.56 or 7.62 rounds).

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this
I sincerely hope that they change the Assault Rifle sound in some way, because to me, it sounded bland. The other weapons sounded fine, the Commando was beefy, the Bulldog was impactful, the Pistol sounded dinky (which it should because it's a weak sidearm), but the AR was just... meh? It sounded like if I recorded a 9mm SMG on a headset mic.

This is pretty important, considering that the AR is one of the most used and recognizable weapons in Halo multiplayer (just look at the MCC stats). To have it sound almost as bland as the popcorn-y Halo 3 AR is pretty disappointing. It would not be a good first impression for newcomers to the franchise to hear such a 'meh' sound from such a common and useful Halo weapon, but that's just my opinion.

What should it sound like? Probably the Reach or H4 AR, both seem to have similar rates-of-fire to Infinite's, and sound much more like actual Assault Rifles' audio from recordings and other media (whether it's 5.56 or 7.62 rounds).

Not sure what the issue is, Reach's AR sounded just as weak and preforms terribly in the MP. I was always under the impression that a weapon doesn't need to sound impactful but instead should sound recognizable ( like the H3 AR can be recognized from a mile away )

I hope it ends up sounding like the Halo 4 or 5 AR. I wouldn't be particularly upset if it sounded bland, i'd be disappointed but I wouldn't throw a fit. You do make a good point thoug, since Halo Infinite is the Halo to end all Halos, i'd want every weapon to be at it's prime or at least be unique enough to stand out from other games in a recognizable way.
Anything but the sound of the H5 AR, assuming there are resemblances to other games. I still can’t help laughing when I hear it being used, and that includes the times I use it myself (useful weapon, just doesn’t sound like it). H4 had arguably the best sounding AR, so I don’t understand the thought process behind changing it up so much for H5. Same thing applies to the DMR, except the DMR in H5 still sounds good.
Not sure what the issue is, Reach's AR sounded just as weak and preforms terribly in the MP. I was always under the impression that a weapon doesn't need to sound impactful but instead should sound recognizable ( like the H3 AR can be recognized from a mile away )
Reach's AR didn't sound weak at all, in my opinion. It was turned down in the volume mix a bit but the fundamental sound was fine. The gun itself was very weak, I agree.
Was the AR ever supposed to be good? Or does it just help make MC look cool for game promotions? Honestly, its design was part of what attracted me to the OG Halo back in the day. But when you think about it, probably 15% of the weapon's mass went into the unnecessary ammo counter. It has no rails for optics or grips. The pistol grip welded together with the butt stock interferes with carrying it at the low ready and prevents different sized marines from adjusting the length. It's also just way too bulky overall. It sounds like when kids place playing cards under their bicycle seats to mimic a motorcycle engine. This isn't even getting into how poorly it functions in every single Halo game.
Was the AR ever supposed to be good? Or does it just help make MC look cool for game promotions? Honestly, its design was part of what attracted me to the OG Halo back in the day. But when you think about it, probably 15% of the weapon's mass went into the unnecessary ammo counter. It has no rails for optics or grips. The pistol grip welded together with the butt stock interferes with carrying it at the low ready and prevents different sized marines from adjusting the length. It's also just way too bulky overall. It sounds like when kids place playing cards under their bicycle seats to mimic a motorcycle engine. This isn't even getting into how poorly it functions in every single Halo game.
This kinda misses the point, I'm not talking about what the AR is or isn't right now, I'm talking about what it should be. And sound-wise, it can't be argued that the AR has at least sounded pleasing and powerful in all past iterations except for one or two (CEA, Reach, 4, 2A - MP, 5). I'm hoping that Infinite's is made to live up to a certain standard in that regard.
This kinda misses the point, I'm not talking about what the AR is or isn't right now, I'm talking about what it should be. And sound-wise, it can't be argued that the AR has at least sounded pleasing and powerful in all past iterations except for one or two (CEA, Reach, 4, 2A - MP, 5). I'm hoping that Infinite's is made to live up to a certain standard in that regard.
Meh, when have you ever used the AR in campaign or MP? The noises it makes are even less significant.
Meh, when have you ever used the AR in campaign or MP? The noises it makes are even less significant.
It's literally the weapon everyone in matchmaking uses to combo with a melee or tear-down shields at close-range, and it's also the human weapon you start with in, like, 99% of campaign missions. And one of the most used weapons for kills in 343's MCC blog stats from this year. And your starting weapon in MM for half the playlists in the old games. And the weapon on the CE, 3, and Halo 4 cover... and on the Halo Infinite cover. And it has its own dedicated matchmaking playlist hopper in MCC social.

And it's probably the most recognizable human Halo weapon to non-Halo players.

But sure, it sounding like a BB gun is perfectly fine /s

The design is pretty similar to AR of Reach but i prefer the AR version of Halo 5 because is update not old as Reach
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It's literally the weapon everyone in matchmaking uses to combo with a melee or tear-down shields at close-range, and it's also the human weapon you start with in, like, 99% of campaign missions. And one of the most used weapons for kills in 343's MCC blog stats from this year. And your starting weapon in MM for half the playlists in the old games. And the weapon on the CE, 3, and Halo 4 cover... and on the Halo Infinite cover. And it has its own dedicated matchmaking playlist hopper in MCC social.

And it's probably the most recognizable human Halo weapon to non-Halo players.

But sure, it sounding like a BB gun is perfectly fine /s
I wish you and the hordes of other 117s the best of luck with your spray 'n pray AR loadouts.
Haha, very funny...

I mean, all things considered, I don't think you of all players should be trying to make fun of me.

And to top it off, my most used weapon is either the Magnum or the BR for MCC, and I don't play the Halos with 'loadouts'. You should have done your research. After all, if you want to make fun of my skill-level, my account is simply a click away.

Might I suggest being contributing in a more constructive way towards topics like these? Your posts have just been dismissive and contrarian, and added very little to the discussion.

The Assault Rifle in Infinite doesn't sound as good as it should.
The AR is an important Halo weapon.
There you have it.

Have a lovely day, sir/ma'am.
I agree, I thought it sounded a little soft. I also thought the shotgun sounded a little lack luster too. Hope they work on audio as well and not just graphics.
If I could pick a sound, I'd probably go with H4's. I really hate how weak it sounds in H3...
The AR from the Infinite demo sounded off. Very muffled and weak to me. I suggest 343i look at their own creation.. The Halo 4 AR. Beefy and strong, a capable weapon. It actually felt like a rifle. It's one of my favorite interpretations of the gun thus far. As for the guy/gal who is saying the AR is useless, I'm assuming that he/she hasn't used it much. I use it quite often.The AR is viable at close range against most foes, meaning you can hose an enemy down in led while moving up for the melee. A simple strategy, yes, but one that requires skill to effectively master. The AR has a role in the sandbox of Halo that is useful.
It needs to sound like the champ from CE. Beefy. Trusted. Gas powered.