Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Infinite Weapon/ vehicle sound design

OP Ryder0001

I’m super pumped about infinite, but I do have some constructive criticism. It’s about the choice of weapon/ vehicle sound design. After watching the game play I wasn’t left turned off so much by the graphical issues, more so by the choice of sounds for classic halo weapons. They are very Pew Pewy.... same can be said for the warthog it sounds like a generic ATV, in fact that’s how I would describe all the sounds for the equipment used in halo infinite. generic...
343 If you are trying to bring back the fan base to its roots, classic weapons and vehicle sounds are a must!!!!
FYI. I think the music and art style are on point.
Sound definitely needs work. Compared to previous games, including 4 and 5, the weapons just sound...weak? Also like you said, with the exception of the AR (not sure why they used the Reach AR), most UNSC weapons looked generic. At the very least they need more lights to look a bit more sci fi and maybe the pistol needs a larger trigger guard (also looks too big)

Hopefully they bring back the classic shotgun (the new one is mechanically different for reloading) and maybe the magnum (though I think the new pistol is fine though it's aesthetic is currently generic)

I was happy with the covenant weapons that we saw so far though I hope OG plasma rifle is in there somewhere.
When I heard the Warthog's sound in the Infinite demo, it reminded me of some modded Subaru. A Warthog has to sound like a Warthog, it has an instantly recognizable sound (from Halo's 1 to Reach anyway).

They recently confirmed the game will be delayed until 2021. I hope they take the time and really make some positive changes.
When I heard the Warthog's sound in the Infinite demo, it reminded me of some modded Subaru. A Warthog has to sound like a Warthog, it has an instantly recognizable sound (from Halo's 1 to Reach anyway).

They recently confirmed the game will be delayed until 2021. I hope they take the time and really make some positive changes.
The Warthog was what caught my attention! After that I was very critical of all the other sound choices.
Warthog is the largest misstep by far. Being the "lore" masters 343 are, they should at least pay more attention to detail to established facts. Why does the warthog have audible gear shifts when the transmission is a CVT? (Yes, H5 had them too, but they were much less audible)
I have never understood why they changed the sounds of the original covenant weapons like plasma pistol, needler beam rifle ect. I get they probably did want to experiment with them with their first couple games halo 4 and 5/Infinite but at the same time why change something that isn't broken.
If Halo Infinite is a so called "Spiritual reboot" that is suppose to cater to old and new fans, wouldn't you put the classical weapon sounds back into the halo game? If they bought back some of the iconic classical sounds that made Halo the game that it was, I'm sure that'd bring back more people back and also happy too. Heck if they want they could even put a input method where you can choose whether you want classical sounds or new sounds. They've managed to do that for Halo CE and soon to be the same for Halo 3 on mcc for the customization. You can choose to have it on or off. That's one way to cater to both old and new fans.
It would be cool if they some how incorporated old sounds into Infinite with the time they have now with the delay.
The pew pew sounds that I heard from the plasma pistol and needler in the Infinite gameplay reveal doesn't give it that Halo feel in my opinion, sound wise anyways.
In my opinion Halo 5 has the best sound design by far. The quality of the audio and the effects are full of nuances and it is easily the most advanced. The original sounds are great, but just as "pew pew" as the new ones. The shotgun is the same sound effect of a SPAS-12 if I'm not mistaken so they are not more unique or better quality, just more nostalgic.
I like the audio design for all the Halo games and I have no problem with a different warthog sound. It always sounded too much like a gasoline engine but hydrogen powered engines sound a lot different (which is what the warthog is supposed to be).
I have never understood why they changed the sounds of the original covenant weapons like plasma pistol, needler beam rifle ect. I get they probably did want to experiment with them with their first couple games halo 4 and 5/Infinite but at the same time why change something that isn't broken.
If Halo Infinite is a so called "Spiritual reboot" that is suppose to cater to old and new fans, wouldn't you put the classical weapon sounds back into the halo game? If they bought back some of the iconic classical sounds that made Halo the game that it was, I'm sure that'd bring back more people back and also happy too. Heck if they want they could even put a input method where you can choose whether you want classical sounds or new sounds. They've managed to do that for Halo CE and soon to be the same for Halo 3 on mcc for the customization. You can choose to have it on or off. That's one way to cater to both old and new fans.
It would be cool if they some how incorporated old sounds into Infinite with the time they have now with the delay.
The pew pew sounds that I heard from the plasma pistol and needler in the Infinite gameplay reveal doesn't give it that Halo feel in my opinion, sound wise anyways.
Yes this ! The sounds are just as important to the games as music scores or art style! It was never broken so why change it !!!?
343 classic sounds please !
I agree, but only if they don't make weapons sound as inappropriate as the Halo 3 Assault Rifle. I guess Marty was REALLY craving popcorn when designing the firing sound.
My biggest issue with some of these weapons is it felt like 343i didn't learn from their Fubar with the Rockets in H5. I love me some drum fed shotgun but the top loading shotgun is a unique and defined Halo design as much as the AR is.
They lack the low end explosive sounds that real firearms have.
This would be an easy fix right ?

The sound is most likely from the El Camino used in the Sound Recording videos. The 4x4 Cab they used in the same videos is probably gonna end up being for the Mongoose. Either that or I got the two backwards.
I agree it does sound generic a lot of the time. I think that's because the volume sounded the same through out, the guns didn't sound loud or the explosions seemed quite.
I liked looks of weapons and I do like new weapons though but sound didn't feel realsitic
There's actually videos on YouTube from 343 doing that with vehicles and it sounds good, but i want something more realistic for weapons, i dont feel it like real weapons.
Ryder0001 wrote:
I’m super pumped about infinite, but I do have some constructive criticism. It’s about the choice of weapon/ vehicle sound design. After watching the game play I wasn’t left turned off so much by the graphical issues, more so by the choice of sounds for classic halo weapons. They are very Pew Pewy.... same can be said for the warthog it sounds like a generic ATV, in fact that’s how I would describe all the sounds for the equipment used in halo infinite. generic...
343 If you are trying to bring back the fan base to its roots, classic weapons and vehicle sounds are a must!!!!
FYI. I think the music and art style are on point.
The Warthog in Halo CE, 2, and 3 sounded like a Prius.