Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Instead of battle royale, what about this?

OP AlanDjikkaity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I personally would like to see a Halo Battle Royale, maybe as a separate game, but since there won't be a BR and a lot of "fans" don't want to listen to ideas that could potentially help Halo become the number 1 game again, I came up with an alternative, either as a mode in Infinite or a side game

What it is : Free-for-All Evolved, an expanded version of Free-for-All with battle royale elements that allows 60 players max per game, with a party of 4 allowed, thus meaning that 15 parties can all potentially play in the same game. In this game mode, players can vote for what past Halo story they want, which includes map, weapon designs, and "storm" based on that certain game. In that way, you won't be bored of the same map . I came up with a list that might suit everybody reading this

Reach from Halo Reach, with storm being the Covenant glassing
Installation 04 from Halo CE, with storm being the Flood outbreak
New Mombasa from Halo 2 / Halo 3 ODST, with storm being hundreds of Covenant drop ships, mainly Elites
Installation 08 from Halo 3, storm being the destruction of the ring
Requiem from Halo 4, storm being Promethean Knights and Crawlers

How it works : Players are dropped in ODST drop pods with an SMG and Magnum as starting weapons and with a couple of biofoam medicines in case you're about to die. Your teammates can heal you by either taking your own and using it on you, or they can sacrifice their own

If you die : Your involvement will be determined by what map you're on

Reach - Nothing, you just watch the surviving players play
CE - You become one of the Flood
2 / 3 ODST - You become a Covenant elite
3. Nothing, you just watch the surviving players play,
4. You can choose from either a Knight or a Crawler

Gameplay : Sprint is the only form of advanced movement. Duel-wielding should return as well.

Customization : Everyone's starting character is an ODST. Once you earn a certain rank, you can unlock the ability to play as either a Spartan or an Elite. Elite and Spartan customization would be similar to the one from Halo Reach. However, you can chose if your Spartan is a Spartan 2, 3, or 4. 4 save slots are given to accompany the customization system.

IMO, battle royale was a missed opportunity because if they did decide to make it, then more people would play Halo. I don't care if the older fans would leave, the newcomers would make up for them, considering that most of the gaming world plays battle royale games. But I think this can make up for it and make Halo almost if not as big as it was back when it was Number 1. What do you guys think?
I'd rather Battle Royale just die. All is does is encourage irritating business models like lack of content while pushing staff in overtime to rush out content for skins at insane speeds.
Halo needs to go back to start trending...not following the latest gimmick. Bringing any form of BR would be the worst case scenario for Halo and I'm glad Halo Infinite is not being included with the mode.
ronnie42 wrote:
I'd rather Battle Royale just die. All is does is encourage irritating busy models like lack of content while pushing staff in overtime to rush out content for skins at insane speeds.
Halo needs to go back to start trending...not following the latest gimmick. Bringing any form of BR would be the worst case scenario for Halo and I'm glad Halo Infinite is not being included with the mode.
This isn’t even an actual Battle Royale. It’s free-for-all with Battle Royale elements + I didn’t mention skins. I’d rather have customization done like it is in current Halo games
ronnie42 wrote:
I'd rather Battle Royale just die. All is does is encourage irritating busy models like lack of content while pushing staff in overtime to rush out content for skins at insane speeds.
This isn’t even an actual Battle Royale. It’s free-for-all with Battle Royale elements + I didn’t mention skins. I’d rather have customization done like it is in current Halo games
You literally just said with "Battle Royale elements"....I mentioned skins because these type of games are plagued with awful grinds and p2w elements sometimes, timed based unlocks and they put a lot of pressure into rushing designs within shorter times. If Halo wants to succeed then it needs to go back to it's roots, not follow gimmicks.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
You literally just said with "Battle Royale elements"....I mentioned skins because these type of games are plagued with awful grinds and p2w elements sometimes, timed based unlocks and they put a lot of pressure into rushing designs within shorter times. If Halo wants to succeed then it needs to go back to it's roots, not follow gimmicks.
If I was talking about a Battle Royale then I wouldn’t say that this is an expanded version of Free-for-all with BR elements. I personally wouldn’t want skins, I prefer the current system
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
If I was talking about a Battle Royale then I wouldn’t say that this is an expanded version of Free-for-all with BR elements. I personally wouldn’t want skins, I prefer the current system
That's pretty much what Battle Royale is. Either way would make more sense to focus on free for all, avoid BR elements. All BR means is free for all with 1 life with last person standing but generally the gaming version generally is usually intrusive.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
That's pretty much what Battle Royale is. Either way would make more sense to focus on free for all, avoid BR elements. All BR means is free for all with 1 life with last person standing but generally the gaming version generally is usually intrusive.
Yes. But IMHO if Halo were to have a resurgence, I think this would be it. If they don’t add the name “Battle Royale” in it + make it a secondary focus, then it’ll make Halo great again
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Yes. But IMHO if Halo were to have a resurgence, I think this would be it. If they don’t add the name “Battle Royale” in it + make it a secondary focus, then it’ll make Halo great again
Doubtful, I'd think I'd lose interest in Halo if they tried forcing this into Halo...it's already made every game I previously enjoyed worse.
Quote:
I personally would like to see a Halo Battle Royale, maybe as a separate game, but since there won't be a BR and a lot of "fans" don't want to listen to ideas that could potentially help Halo become the number 1 game again, I came up with an alternative, either as a mode in Infinite or a side game
Battle Royale certainly will not make Halo #1. and using quotes to make it seem as though people who do not want a battle royale in Halo are not real fans will not help your argument.

Quote:
What it is : Free-for-All Evolved, an expanded version of Free-for-All with battle royale elements that allows 60 players max per game, with a party of 4 allowed, thus meaning that 15 parties can all potentially play in the same game. In this game mode, players can vote for what past Halo story they want, which includes map, weapon designs, and "storm" based on that certain game. In that way, you won't be bored of the same map .
This is just a battle royale but it's called "a better version of free-for-all". These two things are entirely different.

Quote:
IMO, battle royale was a missed opportunity because if they did decide to make it, then more people would play Halo. I don't care if the older fans would leave, the newcomers would make up for them, considering that most of the gaming world plays battle royale games.
Completely ignoring the old fans would cause an amalgamation of a game recognizable only by namesake. Making Halo copy the current battle royale trend instead of sticking to what works and expanding based on it would be an absolute disaster. Who knows, it might be possible to create such a battle royale in forge and custom games, but that should be the absolute limit, forever.
Gears 5 seems to be doing quite well without having incorporated a BR mode. They just revamped classic modes and added a new mode that fits very much in line with past Gears experiences. And people are saying it's the best Gears ever, just by it trying to be Gears.

If Halo Infinite just tries to be Halo, I think it will do just fine. Even if Halo did a BR mode, let's face it: it would not topple Fortnite. Even Apex Legends couldn't do that; CoD and Battlefield didn't even give Fortnite a run for its money. At most, a Halo BR would see a transient spike in population from BR enthusiasts who would check it out for a bit before going back to Fortnite. The last thing 343 would want is for the BR playlist to become low populated after a few months, especially given the amount of work a proper BR mode would take (and that would potentially take away time and resources from other areas of the game, like the staples Halo players have come to know and love).

I think Frankie's statement on BR in Halo was spot on: if the community wants it, they'll make it using the tools provided in Forge. And if it's really as popular as you think it would be, then it would stand out as the most prominent custom game mode (maybe get put into Action Sack), which would show 343 that a dedicated BR mode might actually be worth looking into.
ronnie42 wrote:
Invasion 2.0, for example.
ronnie42 wrote:
Invasion 2.0, for example.
Yes a new Invasion mode would be interesting...that would be a great excuse to bring back playable Elites.
Halo is not built to handle high player counts regardless of context, the seams that hold together mainline Halo titles start to stretch and tear pretty much as soon as you get past the usual 16 player count.

In order to try and stuff a mainline Halo title into any high player count gameplay you need to make serious adjustments to games design that will fundamentally change what Halo is. Whether you end up enjoying those changes or not, it will end up being a very different type of game than what we started with and that will inevitably rub some people the wrong way.

You can't please every shooter demographic in a single Halo game.

I frankly don't see much benefit in "more people playing Halo" if Halo's core identity has to change in order to do it. At a certain point is just becomes Halo in name only.
Chimera30 wrote:
Gears 5 seems to be doing quite well without having incorporated a BR mode. They just revamped classic modes and added a new mode that fits very much in line with past Gears experiences. And people are saying it's the best Gears ever, just by it trying to be Gears.

If Halo Infinite just tries to be Halo, I think it will do just fine. Even if Halo did a BR mode, let's face it: it would not topple Fortnite. Even Apex Legends couldn't do that; CoD and Battlefield didn't even give Fortnite a run for its money. At most, a Halo BR would see a transient spike in population from BR enthusiasts who would check it out for a bit before going back to Fortnite. The last thing 343 would want is for the BR playlist to become low populated after a few months, especially given the amount of work a proper BR mode would take (and that would potentially take away time and resources from other areas of the game, like the staples Halo players have come to know and love).

I think Frankie's statement on BR in Halo was spot on: if the community wants it, they'll make it using the tools provided in Forge. And if it's really as popular as you think it would be, then it would stand out as the most prominent custom game mode (maybe get put into Action Sack), which would show 343 that a dedicated BR mode might actually be worth looking into.
Spot on mate :)
Those are some cool ideas. I would love to become a hazard that threatens surviving players after my death. Sounds like fun!
By the time infinite releases I think BR will be run and done outside of the free to play model ,
battlefields , cod, fallout all have had very limited success with $60 buy in model .
I appreciate the thought you've put into this and the theming based around particular games is fun and unique.

But, as others have alluded to, I think the BR phenomenon is trending down. You talk about Halo getting back to being the number one shooter in the market by adopting a strategy to compete with Fortnite/PUBG etc, which I understand at face value. I think it's important to remember, though, that Halo's decline in relevance and popularity correlates (maybe not causaully, but possibly) with Halo's attempting to compete with other popular shooters. Sprint came in because CoD and other contemporary FPS games had made it so wildly popular around the time Reach was in development. Loadouts were also aping CoD in Halo 4, and Halo 5's Spartan Abilities smack of influence from Titanfall.

The thing is: all of this adopting of features and sensibilities from other popular shooters of any given year has only really served to convolute and distance Halo's identity from what it was when it indeed was the king of the console FPS.

I think Halo should take a page from Gears of War's book (if any game was going to attempt to steal Fortnite's thunder, it would've been that one) and bring forward a game that, first and foremost, feels true to its lineage and reminds us of the games that made us all fall in love with the series. Like Gears 5, it could certainly bring revisions, improvements, and new features and game modes to the table. But I really do believe the priority should be for Infinite to recapture the basic approximate feel of the series' most critically acclaimed, commercially successful and best loved titles to date (Halo CE, 2, and 3.)

Those games maintain the most distinctive identity from competitor shooters in the entire series, and going back to that formula would ensure that Infinite again feels distinct. I understand that people are very excited for the possibility of what crazy revisions, additions, and changes the series could benefit from. But I believe this series is in need of foundational repair before a smattering of brand new modes and paradigm change-ups are a great idea.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong if Infinite comes out and is a completely new but similarly distinctive and addictive formula to classic Halo. But these are just my thoughts on the matter at the moment. MP should resemble what it did in Halo 2-3 more than any BR or Cod-style blockbuster yearly franchise. This will keep Halo feeling fresh years after everyone is sick of the old gimmicks and have moved on to the new trends.
Chimera30 wrote:

True. I made this post not to force 343 into making what I want, but just to express my ideas.

WerepyreND wrote:
Halo is not built to handle high player counts regardless of context, the seams that hold together mainline Halo titles start to stretch and tear pretty much as soon as you get past the usual 16 player count.

In order to try and stuff a mainline Halo title into any high player count gameplay you need to make serious adjustments to games design that will fundamentally change what Halo is. Whether you end up enjoying those changes or not, it will end up being a very different type of game than what we started with and that will inevitably rub some people the wrong way.

You can't please every shooter demographic in a single Halo game.

I frankly don't see much benefit in "more people playing Halo" if Halo's core identity has to change in order to do it. At a certain point is just becomes Halo in name only.
Thing is, there really isn’t a “Halo core identity.” And if there is one, it’s a good campaign and good MP

I appreciate the thought you've put into this and the theming based around particular games is fun and unique.

But, as others have alluded to, I think the BR phenomenon is trending down. You talk about Halo getting back to being the number one shooter in the market by adopting a strategy to compete with Fortnite/PUBG etc, which I understand at face value. I think it's important to remember, though, that Halo's decline in relevance and popularity correlates (maybe not causaully, but possibly) with Halo's attempting to compete with other popular shooters. Sprint came in because CoD and other contemporary FPS games had made it so wildly popular around the time Reach was in development. Loadouts were also aping CoD in Halo 4, and Halo 5's Spartan Abilities smack of influence from Titanfall.

The thing is: all of this adopting of features and sensibilities from other popular shooters of any given year has only really served to convolute and distance Halo's identity from what it was when it indeed was the king of the console FPS.

I think Halo should take a page from Gears of War's book (if any game was going to attempt to steal Fortnite's thunder, it would've been that one) and bring forward a game that, first and foremost, feels true to its lineage and reminds us of the games that made us all fall in love with the series. Like Gears 5, it could certainly bring revisions, improvements, and new features and game modes to the table. But I really do believe the priority should be for Infinite to recapture the basic approximate feel of the series' most critically acclaimed, commercially successful and best loved titles to date (Halo CE, 2, and 3.)

Those games maintain the most distinctive identity from competitor shooters in the entire series, and going back to that formula would ensure that Infinite again feels distinct. I understand that people are very excited for the possibility of what crazy revisions, additions, and changes the series could benefit from. But I believe this series is in need of foundational repair before a smattering of brand new modes and paradigm change-ups are a great idea.

I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong if Infinite comes out and is a completely new but similarly distinctive and addictive formula to classic Halo. But these are just my thoughts on the matter at the moment. MP should resemble what it did in Halo 2-3 more than any BR or Cod-style blockbuster yearly franchise. This will keep Halo feeling fresh years after everyone is sick of the old gimmicks and have moved on to the new trends.
True, but even if Battle Royale does die out, Halo can revive it if they want to. Look at The Walking Dead. The Adventure genre (not to be confuse with the Action-Adventure genre associated with GTA, Red Dead Redemption, and Assassins Creed,) was dying out for years, and it was able to earn critical acclaim and the same time, revive it’s genre.

Since Halo 3, many games started to add advanced movement (mainly sprint.) So it’d make sense for Halo to add a feature often used. H4’s loadout system was actually good. Yes, it killed equal starts, but it allowed players to diversify have they play. Yes, it was copied from CoD, but that doesn’t mean older fans should hate them 24/7. Instead, they should accept loadouts and sprint and deal with it. Seeing how BR games are extremely popular, Halo could’ve seen that a mode like BR would make their mode popular. That, along with a good campaign and MP, would make Halo the best game again, like it was during H2 -H3.

I often hear the excuse “Halo sets trends, not follows them.” Thing is, Halo didn’t ever set any trends, other than the good console shooter trend. So people shouldn’t use that excuse when new things appear just to suit their agenda
I understand frustration towards original trilogy purists when they outright blast gameplay changes and additions-- and, to clarify, that's not what I'm going for in my post.

However you may feel about the additions, though, as you've acknowledged: they aren't from Halo. They've been implemented on account of other series' popularity.

This is where I take minor issue with your counterpoint- Halo did very much set the trend of popularity in the console FPS market. You've basically said as much above, but I think it would be a huge mistake to consider this (or especially the reason for it) as insubstantial or irrelevant compared to trends like Sprint, Loadouts, etc.

I think the reason Halo broke the seal on the console FPS golden age is that it translated the fun of PC shooters along with some of their sophistication into a more accessible and controllable paradigm. PC shooters were miles more complicated and fun than fare like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were (no disrespect intended), but until Halo, these simplified and slightly frustrating shooter experiences were the best you could expect on consoles.

Halo set the trend of a shooter for the mass console audience that was the perfect mix of easy to pick up and difficult to master. I think it did this on account of its refined, goldilocks sandbox.

I enjoy a lot of the newer features in PvE modes, as I believe I mentioned before. But the competitive foundation of the series is deeply cracked, as is illustrated by how often and hotly these points are contested on the forums and amidst players. Again, I believe the foundational repair needs to precede expansion and redefinition. Just my opinion, though.
Sorry long post

By the theory of nothing is original, you could argue anything to be true or false in terms of what Halo brought to the table.
- Halo had the first great online multiplayer experience on console and the driving factor of live gaming on console.
- Halo set the bar for playlist and gametype variety
- Refined vehicle gameplay to what i still consider the best vehicular gameplay in a PvP mode
- Brought the modding experience to the common user with in-depth custom game settings
- Set a new standard and is still one of the leaders in how AI behaved and was implemented in campaign, something even destiny and modern games don't compete with
- Had the first proper ranked mode on console, promoted a lot of interest in competitive gaming from a console audience, same goes for montages, speedrunning etc
- Audio design that stood out against most of the AAA market, same for its soundtrack

Across CE, H2, H3 & Reach Halo acquired a fanbase, some were game loyalists, some fell off but i know many/most of those i played with followed through with all of them.
They all dropped off with H4 because the general direction and execution wasn't to their liking in either the campaign or multiplayer. They all still play games, they all hark back whenever i do catch up with them. With 4, the failure of MCC and 5 those that were the more diehard MP fanbase were given the cold shoulder.

I want a game that can have a good campaign, not just a plot or custscenes, but the gameplay, audio, mission design and art, something both 4 and 5 failed with.
To have a multiplayer that has stable fan favourite playlists day 1 without weird or wacky settings or to be made rotational, or shoved aside for a new project (BTB)
A ranked mode that works well, even if that means just ~3 ranked playlists. The medals to return to their glory and not be a bland mess, same for the armour. The UI to go from where Reach left off, clean and informative. A line-up of maps that are high quality and ooze personality, even if we just get 10 on release.

Player retention, especially of their loyal fanbase, the fanbase that wanted the Halo before 343 taken over, is 343s greatest failure, and it starts with releasing a fundamentally sound game. Fighting games and the Japanese market seem to be trend setting at the moment and its due to better consumer practice, complete games and meaningful content. 343 could be working half as hard as they are now, they just need to work from a better base.

Improve the base before stealing from another games formula. By all means add new things but look at where pre-343 era left off.
- Expand custom game options further by taking a page from h3 and embracing player created mechanisms, smaller blocks, more special items etc
- Add new gametypes, or bring back the many that existed from the vault
- Streamline the weapon/vehicle set make them each more dynamic & useful instead of 3-4 clones each
- A leaderboard, one with regions or just an in-game plug to halotracker or something
- A good spectator mode
- Make customisation more detailed instead of 100 sub-par armour sets
- Reach despite not fully successful, had more vertical and asymmetric map designs like CE, play with that more
- Finally do what players have been asking for since H2 and do clans / group creation & group battles
- Add an in-game rival system, or one where players can compare
- Bring back teleporters and power-ups and expand on ways to traverse the map
- Have an in-game tournament creation system where players can set up online tourneys more effectively
take what players / communities do and expand on it

Halo felt like a freestyle / sandbox style game where you carved out how you wanted to play the game. The loadouts, spartan abilities and sprint have really robbed that from the series by making the game feel more narrow and repetitive by comparison.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5