Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Instead of battle royale, what about this?

OP AlanDjikkaity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
WerepyreND wrote:
Halo is not built to handle high player counts regardless of context, the seams that hold together mainline Halo titles start to stretch and tear pretty much as soon as you get past the usual 16 player count.

In order to try and stuff a mainline Halo title into any high player count gameplay you need to make serious adjustments to games design that will fundamentally change what Halo is. Whether you end up enjoying those changes or not, it will end up being a very different type of game than what we started with and that will inevitably rub some people the wrong way.

You can't please every shooter demographic in a single Halo game.

I frankly don't see much benefit in "more people playing Halo" if Halo's core identity has to change in order to do it. At a certain point is just becomes Halo in name only.
Thing is, there really isn’t a “Halo core identity.” And if there is one, it’s a good campaign and good MP
Halo the multimedia franchise may be flexible, the mainline Halo titles are not. If a "good campaign and good MP" along with the name brand was all that mattered then Halo Wars should be just as successful as any other Halo title. The Halo franchise is perfectly capable of supporting different types of games, but it is ludicrous to say that the main Halo titles don't have core identity of their own or at the very least used to.
Quote:
I often hear the excuse “Halo sets trends, not follows them.” Thing is, Halo didn’t ever set any trends, other than the good console shooter trend. So people shouldn’t use that excuse when new things appear just to suit their agenda
This wasn't addressed to me, but it was so absurd I feel like I have to bring it up. Popularizing weapons limits, dedicated melee and grenade functions, regenerating health in CE doesn't count? Or pioneering online matchmaking systems in Halo 2? Or raising the bar for content with theater, forge, and file sharing in Halo 3? While these were not all introduced by Halo, it certainly set a trend for them. The phrase "Halo didn't ever set any trends" does not mesh reality.
When I said "Halo doesn't start trends," I don't mean things like forge and theater. Those aren't trends. Those are just features. If we look at any actually trends Halo started, it's 0.
When I said "Halo doesn't start trends," I don't mean things like forge and theater. Those aren't trends. Those are just features. If we look at any actually trends Halo started, it's 0.
Glad we are ignoring all the other ones I mentioned. This isn't a matter of opinion, you are simply incorrect. The phrase "Halo killer" wouldn't have become common place when was a follower.

Denying Halo was ever a trendsetter is ludicrous.
Chimera30 wrote:
Gears 5 seems to be doing quite well without having incorporated a BR mode. They just revamped classic modes and added a new mode that fits very much in line with past Gears experiences. And people are saying it's the best Gears ever, just by it trying to be Gears.
Gears 5 did do well, it actually knocked Fortfight off of top spot, but it's fallen just as quickly due to it being a broken mess. I've completed the campaign several times with no achievements to date for that. Collectables are broken too, progress and ranked percentages are wrong with some players showing zero time played in certain modes, TC are working on fixes but it should not have been released in the state it's im imho. It's a shame, because when it plays well, Gears 5 is awesome, and stunningly beautiful on Xbox X.

I agree that BR is not needed to promote Halo, or get Halo Infinite to the heights the title once attained. Gears 5 has done it, and so has Borderlands 3 by being themselves. In fact Borderlands 3 is still ahead of Fortfight on the Xbox most played with Gears 5 7th on the UK dash. I'm sure if Halo Infinite is a good "Halo" game it will get the reception Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 have received, if not better. But,,, I think a stand alone Halo BR could be good too. As for the OP ? It's BR imo, it's just being called Free For All, which equates to last man standing a la BR.
id rather not have any form of battle royal in halo
WerepyreND wrote:
Glad we are ignoring all the other ones I mentioned. This isn't a matter of opinion, you are simply incorrect. The phrase "Halo killer" wouldn't have become common place when was a follower.

Although it started the actually good console shooter trend, in terms of trends like battle royale, Halo started 0.
WerepyreND wrote:

Although it started the actually good console shooter trend, in terms of trends like battle royale, Halo started 0.
Next your going to tell me CoD4 didn't start a tReNd with modern military shooters, repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.
WerepyreND wrote:

You are right about that, as most console FPS games were usually cut-down or downgraded ports of PC FPS games, with Doom 64 being a rare exception
Personally I'd like to see a return of the Firefight we played in Reach, but have the flood as an enemy wave that can take over bodies from the previous one. Or even a new game mode or version of Infection where you fight to escape an overwhelming amount of flood forms.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Next your going to tell me CoD4 didn't start a tReNd with modern military shooters, repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.
Again, I'll repeat what you seem to not understand. In terms of fads/trends like (E.g. Battle Royale/ Pokemon Go,) Halo started 0.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Again, I'll repeat what you seem to not understand. In terms of fads/trends like (E.g. Battle Royale/ Pokemon Go,) Halo started 0.
Remember friends, ruling the genre on consoles for 8 years inspiring a glut of wannabe sci-fi "Halo killers", and having a design influence is still felt today throughout the genre, doesn't count as "tReNdSeTtInG."

Halo was a fad/trend unto itself, not including the various individual ways that Halo had influenced the genre that I have already mentioned.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that history does not back up your assertion. Your use of the word "trend" is so narrow and specific as to be meaningless.

Now I'm curious. Would you consider World of Warcraft a "fad/trendsetter?" How about Call of Duty 4? And if so what makes them any different from Halo?
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

Halo 2 made online console gaming a necessity for triple A games, something PS3 and Wii ensured because of Halo 2 alone, Halo was xbox live.

Halo started the trend of online gaming in most homes, as PC online gaming was still niche and limited at the time, net wasn't great globally. Halo made it popular.

Halo CE made every shooter since put effort into multiplayer because before CE there was only goldeneye and conkers bad fur day that put in real effort on console. Multiplayer became equal to campaign for console shooters because of halo.

Esports as we know it was pioneered by MLG with Halo as the flagship game. Halo was the first to be televised and was the only fps game to stand up against UT, Quake and CS. Halo broke viewership records and made competitive gaming a household name.

Halo popularised streaming and longform game captures as players wanted to see players practice and full tournaments. It dominated youtube gaming from 2005-2009 and was a big factor until 2012.

Every game since has looked to Halo for vehicular gameplay design.

Most Fps games use Halos style of objective gametypes, the 3 big pc games i mentioned inspired Halo, but Halo layed the blueprint for how to do it for all console fps.

Halo 2 set the trend for large scale ranked gameplay.

Halo set the trend of global leaderboards and stat tracking.

Many games were inspired by H2s regenerating health.

Any game that attempts smarter AI uses Halos foundations.

Emphasis on playlist and gametype variety as a vital aspect is due to Halo.

Halo set many standards of fps campaigns, half life with most of the others.

There are many others where if they are not the origin are still either the benchmark / standard of what it should be or modernised / popularised mechanics or features.
I know Halo set standards for FPS games, but I'll repeat it again. In terms of trends/fads like Battle Royale, Halo isn't known for starting any
I know Halo set standards for FPS games, but I'll repeat it again. In terms of trends/fads like Battle Royale, Halo isn't known for starting any
There is a difference between a trend and a fad, and your only example is starting a genre, totally different. Cod having killstreaks and games copying it was a fad.

A standard that is then copied mimicked or used as a baseline by most games after is a trend, trends im saying started with Halo.

Before Halo only quake and CS had a sizable tournament viewership and that was only a year before CE. Sports teams, proscene, pro stars, livestreaming, televised matches, year long tour with multiple events. All from MLG with Halo being the golden goose. Thats one of the most important trends there is.

Halo was the first big game for machinima, RvB using Halo set the trend for all to come.

Online console fps is a trend, that was because of Halo.

Even by what seems to be your definition which is either closer to genre, craze or phenomenon. The online multiplayer i just mentioned fits all 3, all with Halo, same as making competitive gaming a household name.
"Halo isn't known for any trends except you know all the trends it started."

The way you define trends/fads has no meaning except to exclude Halo to better suit your position. You have no solid ground to stand on here, its flat-earth level of denying reality.
WerepyreND wrote:

The way you define trends/fads has no meaning except to exclude Halo to better suit your position. You have no solid ground to stand on here, its flat-earth level of denying reality.
Uno reverse card
WerepyreND wrote:

Uno reverse card
My friend, I've "been to space" in this metaphor. "no u" is not going to convince anyone to deny what they have experienced first hand. I've seen the mainstream news reports, huge crowds, and general cultural saturation to easily see how Halo had already qualified for "Fad" status. I've seen how Halo has influenced design trends among both PC and console shooters outside of just controls. I've seen the glut of sci-fi shooters trying to ape Halo's success just like any number of titles have tried to jump on the Battle Royale bandwagon.

In case it for some reason isn't clear, I do consider BR a notable trend in the industry, it just isn't a unique one. Battle Royale is just another in a long line of trends just like the Hero shooters, the Modern military shooters, the "Halo Killers," and the Doom Clones, etc, etc.
Personally I'd like to see a return of the Firefight we played in Reach, but have the flood as an enemy wave that can take over bodies from the previous one. Or even a new game mode or version of Infection where you fight to escape an overwhelming amount of flood forms.
That would be so sick (pun not intended).
omarlotrc wrote:
That would be so sick (pun not intended).
Same. Maybe Invasion but with the Flood
This kinda sounds exactly like a Battle Royale. Maybe you could elaborate on what the objective/win condition is to prove me wrong.

Also having player return as Elites would be a little unbalanced. Look at infection: players return as infected spartans which are stripped of a lot of abilities and ranged weapons. in a 1v1 fight between a spartan and an infected, the spartan wins 99% of the time. The infected need to rush together and overwhelm the spartans by sheer numbers. If you were to give the infected the same amount (or maybe even more in the case of elites) of health as the spartans and give them equal firepower, they would absolutely slaughter them. The endgame of your mode would have 59 player controlled elites swarming one poor guy, which completely destroys the power fantasy and excitement of being last man standing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5