Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Is 343i going to pull a 'one more thing'?

OP deathenator

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
no, and why do they need too?
they don't need to do anything. Like I stated in OP, I'm wondering if Halo can compete with other shooters with 'just' classic modes and conservative player counts. Do they need something more to pull in the big numbers? I take it you don't think so. Which is absolutely fine.
Personally I’m no fan of high player count game modes as it just escalates into chaos.

ive seen people want battlefield numbers in halo but I seriously question how it’ll be or feel any different. “But halo has longer ttk and such” which becomes a very null point because more players= much more team shooting and the more players you add, the more often you’re going to be getting shot by 5 people at once and the ttk just becomes pointless 🤷‍♀️. You’re not going to get 1v1 engagements very often unless you intentionally run around the dead zones of a map.

just upping the player count of say btb to be say 50v50 would be pointless unless they did some sort of twist as it’s gameplay itself won’t make it stand out. I’d also say that the experience won’t even be a good one unless it was prioritized, I mean battle field specializes and prioritizes it’s larger game mods while it’s smaller modes get less attention, so taking that into consideration, how will the arena crowd for halo feel of 343 was to do the same with 4v4 and such? Because that’s what would happen (and it did happen in halo 5 when warzone was implemented, btb suffering the most).

larger modes just aren’t something I support, at the very least if it was to be a thing it’d need to be its own standalone thing like battle royale if halo was to ever have it, because you’ll just hurt the quality of everything else in the game if you package it alongside all the other modes into one game.
Pheinted wrote:
What kind of mode would you suggest?....like a huge team mode? Or a mode where a large number of players scavenge for items and battle royal? A BR would do terrible in halo.
Jeah I was thinking more of a huge team mode or big multiteam mode. I'd be extremely surprised if they do end up creating a battle royale, can't see it happening tbh.
A huge BR mode would play horrible in halo though. 1 second of seeing a player cycle though items ranging from health, armor, weapons, attachments etc etc is enough to already realize exactly how TERRIBLE such a mode would be received in halo. Everything about halo that makes it halo goes away in such a mode. Most of these huge modes just sound disastrous for halo. More isn't always better.
Something that has been bugging me for a while guys, would like to hear your thoughts on it.

So far, we've heard and seen the 'standard' 4v4 arena slayer and objectives games. We've also heard about the Big Team Battle 2.0 mode. This will be 12v12. That's quite a low player count if you ask me, but fine, it's at least a little bigger in comparison to what came before.

However, this is 2021. We've seen Warzone push the envelope with 150 players on one big map. Battlefield is going for 128 concurrent players and 4 major modes.. I'm wondering if Halo can compete with other shooters with 'just' classic modes and conservative player counts. And it leaves me wondering:

Is 343 going to pull a 'one more thing' and drop a big, well produced new mode we haven't seen or heard about yet in the run-up to launch?
Problem with having such large teams like 50v50 is coordination usually goes out the window. 8-12 is a party size that most people can muster to make up a full team with no randoms to cause issues. Personally I wished it stayed at 8v8. With invasion as 12v12. Also 50v50 individual effort all but goes out the window too. At least in 8v8 if I'm on my own I can drag a -Yoink- team to victory by getting 40+ kills myself. As opposed to 50v50 where there's not much room for impact.
I hope for no more bad news and stuff being moved to post launch :).
they don't need to do anything. Like I stated in OP, I'm wondering if Halo can compete with other shooters with 'just' classic modes and conservative player counts. Do they need something more to pull in the big numbers? I take it you don't think so. Which is absolutely fine.
I don’t think they need to compete with battlefield and call of duty. Halo is an arena shooter and always has been. The formula is different then those games and doesn’t need the huge player lobbies as a gimmick to compete
Couldn't agree less
I imagine the “one more thing” will be a proper campaign reveal. The most open campaign, with day/night cycles, “Upgrades”, collectables and side-quests has only been shown off in an early build more than a year ago. There’s a lot to see there and not much time left to show it off.
Hades3046 wrote:
I don’t think they need to compete with battlefield and call of duty. Halo is an arena shooter and always has been. The formula is different then those games and doesn’t need the huge player lobbies as a gimmick to compete
Couldn't agree less
Wow. And you didn’t even give a reason why. Good job
Considering the game is not launching feature complete I really dont think there is some big envelope pushing mode. We would have heard of it by now as all the big gaming events are already behind us. Theyre banking on the standard mp offerings and a slightly higher than normal player count btb to carry the game in the short term. The games core gameplay is amazing and I would love to have seen a sequel to invasion or warzone but its not in the cards until probably late next year.
Hades3046 wrote:
Couldn't agree less
to be fair nothing says he has to give a reason, clearly he was just looking to chime in and not join the debate. nothing wrong with it.
Hades3046 wrote:
Couldn't agree less
to be fair nothing says he has to give a reason, clearly he was just looking to chime in and not join the debate. nothing wrong with it.
I guess you’re right
I'm not even expecting a great PVE launch mode, so I don't have high expectations with multiplayer either. All my attention goes to the campaign exclusively.
Something that has been bugging me for a while guys, would like to hear your thoughts on it.

So far, we've heard and seen the 'standard' 4v4 arena slayer and objectives games. We've also heard about the Big Team Battle 2.0 mode. This will be 12v12. That's quite a low player count if you ask me, but fine, it's at least a little bigger in comparison to what came before.

However, this is 2021. We've seen Warzone push the envelope with 150 players on one big map. Battlefield is going for 128 concurrent players and 4 major modes.. I'm wondering if Halo can compete with other shooters with 'just' classic modes and conservative player counts. And it leaves me wondering:

Is 343 going to pull a 'one more thing' and drop a big, well produced new mode we haven't seen or heard about yet in the run-up to launch?
Warzone is its own beast. Standard Call of Duty multiplayer is about comparable in player counts. Even then it’s only got a single map. If 343 did Warzone then it would be on the same basis and I think it would have been announced by now if that was at launch.

Battlefield has always had bigger player counts. BFV was not the big hit DICE wanted it to be and I still ply it quite a lot. However Battlefield pays a price for those big player counts. It’s not as tight an experience, the gunplay isn’t as good, it’s not non stop adrenaline nonsense. You can just have a chill game of Battlefield and get lost on those maps if you want to. It’s not a competitive game which I think Halo has ambitions of being. Battlefield is a very different game to Halo plus it could be extremely buggy like BF4 and have another crisis.

Given how much anxiety there is and all the delays. Not showing any campaign I don’t think 343 is being coy and holding on to a massive monster mode. If you can’t get co-op and forge at launch you’re not holding stuff back. DICE said they had modes and stuff they couldn’t wait to tell us about. Realistically, they’ll show of BTB this month, then they’ll pretty much be in the final run to launch.

I think 343 ideal world is:

- Do what Doom did and reimagine a classic game which draws in both people who’ve left and revitalise the brand. People do play Halo just for the campaign after all. Like I actually think that’s more of a vital issue than multiplayer.

- Make the game as accessible as possible. Gamepass, free to play multiplayer, push the game into people’s space and use that to build a core of regular players. Then keep their interest with Battlepass and regular updates.

I don’t think big new innovative modes is what they had in mind. They’re basically doing a refined Halo 5 and I think that’s always been the plan for launch.

Don’t get me wrong. I would love if they did a monster Battle Royale map with a Halo theme and a huge player count. But you’re right, I don’t see every casual gamer moving over to Halo Infinite unless it’s on back of the campaign being some kind of zeitgeist that gets the game on peoples radar.
343 have mentioned they were testing 60 player lobbies, but might have been for customs only.
Plushhyyy wrote:
343 have mentioned they were testing 60 player lobbies, but might have been for customs only.
I think that rumor was for 40 and I think it was for MCC, wasn't it?

(Which made me think: 40 players... on what map exactly?!)
Did they not secretly work/help on/with splitgate? :D
At the moment there does'nt seem to be an indication that 343 is going to add another big mode. Partly because they already do have to add co-op and forge after launch.
Plushhyyy wrote:
I think that rumor was for 40 and I think it was for MCC, wasn't it?

(Which made me think: 40 players... on what map exactly?!)
Mcc has plenty of large forgeable maps that could accommodate 40 players, personally i think that would be a mistake though. Probably won’t ever happen as it’s only a rumor tho.
Hades3046 wrote:
Couldn't agree less
Bruh
Hades3046 wrote:
Hades3046 wrote:
Couldn't agree less
Bruh
Wait did I read that wrong? You were agreeing with me
Hades3046 wrote:
Hades3046 wrote:
Couldn't agree less
Bruh
Wait did I read that wrong? You were agreeing with me
It was my response to you saying that I didn't give a reason even though I was just trying to chime in. I still completely agree with your opinion
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4