Is Cyberpunk an Important Notice?

OP Imon Spartan

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Before starting I would like to clarify that I am neither in favor nor against. I have simply considered it important to raise the following question. After the disastrous launch of Cyberpunk 2077, both on its Xbox One and PS4 versions, even on its PC version, should 343 consider canceling the Xbox One version of Halo Infinite?

I would like us to raise the situation, talking about the reasons why its cancellation should be raised, and the reasons why it should not be canceled.

Edit:
Context:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/kahpgb/windows_central_halo_infinite_should_skip_the/
Since the game was built off the older hardware I don’t see why it would be cancelled. Also Infinite doesn’t face as many obstacles as cyberpunk has ( selling/making for Sony and Microsoft). If Infinite fails on the older consoles then it was either poor planning and/or terrible execution.
What's even worse about Cyberpunk 2077, was they intended to release in April, when no Xbox Series X or PS5 were out yet.

They were supposed to be specifically for the PS4/Xbox One generation of consoles. The performance clearly indicates what was really going on there. And I bet they were betting on better adoption of the new consoles to better mask the effects.
Another member of the community giving their opinion:

https://twitter.com/Aozolai/status/1337797287955853319

The truth is that there are quite a few reasons to be for or against. The question is, what weighs more, the arguments for or against?
Cyberpunk and halo are completely different games. Cyberpunk is a massive open world game with more interactive npcs and a story which can change based on decisions. Halo infinite is more open world like than previous halo titles, but still has a linear story, with most npcs being either enemies or allies. Halo Infinite has also been built for Xbox one for 5 years and is more or less a current gen game with optimizations for next gen. I don't see any reason why 343 should or will drop the Xbox one version
Both Cyberpunk and Infinite were conceived as Xbox One/PS4 (Infinite bring only Xbox One) games. It looks like cyberpunk really fell victim to pushing the limits of newer hardware that the devs forget what their baseline was or perhaps they willfully abandoned it. At least that’s my high level take. It’s still pretty unclear how future titles will scale on older hardware, but H5 still looks pretty good and runs fine on the Xbox One. I don’t see why 343 wouldn’t be able to scale the graphical options down to keep acceptable performance. Only time will tell.
Most definitely. I cringed when I heard that Infinite was going to be on the old gen. New gen games are always held back by their old gen counterparts. Even before the cyberpunk fiasco I knew it was a bad idea. Just look at BF4 and Destiny. But it is what it is, nothing I can do about it.
Most definitely. I cringed when I heard that Infinite was going to be on the old gen. New gen games are always held back by their old gen counterparts. Even before the cyberpunk fiasco I knew it was a bad idea. Just look at BF4 and Destiny. But it is what it is, nothing I can do about it.
A game can exist on both old and new gen and work fine on both. So long as the better optimization meant for the newer gen only works on the newer gen and doesn't trickle onto the older console version. The game was designed at its base to work on older gen but looks, feels, and plays better on next generation.
A game can exist on both old and new gen and work fine on both. So long as the better optimization meant for the newer gen only works on the newer gen and doesn't trickle onto the older console version. The game was designed at its base to work on older gen but looks, feels, and plays better on next generation.
Well yeah, games can exist in both gens but that doesnt mean they should lol. There is always some drawback to including them, such as in bf4 where obsolete objectives had to be added to maps further thinning out the battles in conquest. That's just one example that comes to mind. They don't need to over complicate things and possibly jeopardize their game just to release on an inferior console
Well yeah, games can exist in both gens but that doesnt mean they should lol. There is always some drawback to including them, such as in bf4 where obsolete objectives had to be added to maps further thinning out the battles in conquest. That's just one example that comes to mind. They don't need to over complicate things and possibly jeopardize their game just to release on an inferior console
Well BF4 and Halo are two different titles in which the games have always played differently. If you can play the game and nothing is hindered, why does it matter?
Cancel the F2P instead, it is going to do demonstrably more damage to Infinite than having a X1 version will. While we are at it drop the "10 year plan" as well because it isn't a plan, it is at best a rough outline of how they hope things will go. 10 years of support goes both ways, you need a community that will be there for the 10 years in order to for any of that support to matter. That level of support is something you earn, its not something you plan for unless your entire strategy revolves around manipulative monetization.

While we are here I wish someone would explain to me how the X1 is going to hold Infinite back in any meaningful way without bringing up the empty "10 year plan?" Infinite might have some more elevators and other tricks to disguise loading? Infinite won't be a powerhouse in the graphics department? Whoop-de-doo.

If its supposed to hold back Infinite due to the games "ambitious" open/semi-open world, I would have to ask where 343 gets the idea they can pull off some great big open environment when they can't consistently produce solid linear shooters. If its supposed to be about some great fancy new gamemode like Warzone, I can't say I care about their new gamemode when they haven't proven that they can match the level of content from a 10 year old game at launch. If their new engine is struggling so hard to do what they want to do the should have just bitten the bullet and gone with an engine better suited to their goals in the first place.
WerepyreND wrote:
Cancel the F2P instead, it is going to do demonstrably more damage to Infinite than having a X1 version will. While we are at it drop the "10 year plan" as well because it isn't a plan, it is at best a rough outline of how they hope things will go. 10 years of support goes both ways, you need a community that will be there for the 10 years in order to for any of that support to matter. That level of support is something you earn, its not something you plan for unless your entire strategy revolves around manipulative monetization.
You have to plan for it. You don't earn it, you never really have. The only real example of "earning" it is maybe warframe. Ya need a rough plan for long-term support. That plan can change and time passes but ya need a plan regardless. Also, a ftp multiplayer is prob the best thing for Halo. Why? Cause halo isn't popular. No matter how cool the game looked, it would not pull people away from other shooters with ftp aspects. A low barrier for entry is the best option and let's be honest, the loss of color choice is worth the increased potential of halo becoming the main contender in the world of gaming again. Sure it sucks but eh, ill get over it given im mostly red and blue anyway. Is there risk for a predatory mtx system? Yep, but there always is regardless of it being ftp.
They’re still advertising hard for cyberpunk during Monday night football...that’s kind of -Yoink- since they’re advertising for Xbox one and PS4 even though they’re offering refunds for the game itself on each console. What happens when they keep advertising a game they know is messed up and furthering the point acknowledging it to some extent by offering refunds...lawsuit?
WerepyreND wrote:
You have to plan for it. You don't earn it, you never really have. The only real example of "earning" it is maybe warframe. Ya need a rough plan for long-term support. That plan can change and time passes but ya need a plan regardless. Also, a ftp multiplayer is prob the best thing for Halo. Why? Cause halo isn't popular. No matter how cool the game looked, it would not pull people away from other shooters with ftp aspects. A low barrier for entry is the best option and let's be honest, the loss of color choice is worth the increased potential of halo becoming the main contender in the world of gaming again. Sure it sucks but eh, ill get over it given im mostly red and blue anyway. Is there risk for a predatory mtx system? Yep, but there always is regardless of it being ftp.
I'm saying you have to actually earn the community support for any of those plans to matter. You can plan all you want, I'm sure Bioware had all sorts of plans for Anthem as well, fat lot of good it did them or the game when no one showed up to actually play. A ten year plan isn't a plan at all, its a goal, nothing outside of a year or two(at best) has any meaning as anything could change between the time Infinite releases even a year beyond that. Case in point MCC's promise of the games being "exactly how you remember them"

I also don't care about how many people might come to play Infinite due to F2P if the game is just a miserable experience where the only reason many players stick around is due to constant manipulative skinner box garbage.

More importantly I have my doubts about the assertion that Halo isn't popular. They might not be as popular as Fortnite or CoD or what have you but a franchise that regularly sells multiple millions of copies is not "unpopular" by any reasonable standard. It may be less popular than it used to be, but the most straightforward answer for why that might be the case is that people just don't enjoy the newer games as much as they did the older games.

If Halo honest to god can't make money in this day and age(which it obviously still does but I digress) I would prefer to see the franchise retired rather than limp on as a parasite that relies on the worst impulses of its audience to survive

Bottom line is that the F2P is still going to have a bigger net negative effect on Infinite than having an X1 version will.
We are drifting off topic. Let’s focus on Cyberpunk and The Xbox One version of Halo Infinite.
To return to the topic...

I can see why it might be a good idea...

But Halo: Infinite has been in development for 5 years and was designed with the Xbox One in mind. Cyberpunk 2077 was first announced during the 360 and PS3. It was designed well before this gen was thought of or began design. Unless Halo is planning on looking like Flight Sim, I don't see a big reason to cancel the Xbox One version. I would put a note on the game letting players know it would be best to play on Xbox One X than the One S or OG One. But right now, I can't see a major reason to cancel the Xbox One version yet.

Keyword: Yet
The launch of Cyberpunk went sadly as I suspected. These mixed messages combining with "going gold" but delaying afterwards should've raised enough red flags.

It's hilarious that people even bought a limited X1 console to play this game and hoping it will look as good as the beefed up screenshots shown with very expensive gaming rigs.

You absolutely deserve to get burned and I hope that you are no more pre-ordering in the future. The entire industry would probably start to release working products again if this pre-ordering would stop.

It's a shame that CDPR fumbled all their trust with this. The bugs are inexcusable even on PC where the game looks awesome. Witcher 3 was also quite buggy when it was released but this is on another level. I'm betting this game will be playable on both PC and the XSX in 2021 like the dev envisioned it. The X1 version will always be terrible and sub-par but still this doesn't excuse for all the lying.

The refund offering babble by them is just to save face. At least in Europe (and they are European), they would be dragged though the courts for misleading advertising and such.

Regarding Infinite: Expect the worst. F2P is the biggest red flag, followed by the preview demo earlier. After so many years in development, they completed botched the next-gen xbox most powerful blabla console ever window.

In contrast to CDPR, who had a very good standing with the community before Cyberpunk; 343 is kinda...well...doing the 1 small step forward...2 giant leaps back tactic. Completely baffling...2 out 3 games released by them so far, have been absolutely terrible at launch. MCC still has performance issues and crashes in coop or missing super basic features like volume control on the consoles. The list is quite extensive but here, have some skins lol.

I would like Infinite to be the next great game but everything points towards big warning signs. I'd like to be proven wrong but 343 would be the first developer to prove F2P is not highly anti customer and overall terrible.
Putting a game across two generations you get a subpar new gen version and/or terrible old gen version

Titanfall on 360, no thanks
Black Ops 3 on 360, yikes
Destiny on 360, not bad but it’s obviously held back. D2 on XB1 looks great.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
More importantly I have my doubts about the assertion that Halo isn't popular. They might not be as popular as Fortnite or CoD or what have you but a franchise that regularly sells multiple millions of copies is not "unpopular" by any reasonable standard. It may be less popular than it used to be, but the most straightforward answer for why that might be the case is that people just don't enjoy the newer games as much as they did the older games.
Older games arent even popular. MCC player numbers show that (current). They are fun but they are still old and whether people want to admit it or not, they like shiny things
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4