Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Is Infinite the end of a trilogy...

OP SalmonSpoon2125

Is Halo Infinite the end of a trilogy but the start of a new saga?
No, it is part of the ongoing Forerunner Saga.
tuhin94 wrote:
It could be cut short, I don't see Steve Downes wanting to do more after this. Also it feels kind of like a conclusion so far as Cortana is now the big bad of the game and I don't see them milking this after Infinite.
Reptar117 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
It could be cut short, I don't see Steve Downes wanting to do more after this. Also it feels kind of like a conclusion so far as Cortana is now the big bad of the game and I don't see them milking this after Infinite.
Why? He gets paid a lot to do less than 20 minutes worth of lines. Even if he left they can get someone else that sounds like him. They did that for Johnson.
Shorty after Halo 4 launched, 343 updated their planned Reclaimer Trilogy into the Reclaimer Saga. This way, they wouldn’t be restricted to 3 games to tell this story arc. Currently there is no reason to think that Infinite will be the conclusion of the Reclaimer Saga.
No, I think we're just getting started.
It may change a lot from this halo infinite to halo 7 so it really could be the end of a trilogy
Vlexis wrote:
Bravo.
No, they confirmed they couldn't maintain the reclaimer storyline into another trilogy as originally intended and expanded it to calling it the Reclaimer Saga. Was sometime around Halo 4's heyday that they confirmed this.
Not sure it really matters if it's the end of a trilogy or not since you won't be getting "Halo 7" whatever it's called until at least 2025.
Will the average Infinite player remember what happened in Halo 5's campaign? Long gaps between games make continuity less important
Reptar117 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Unless you're specifically referring to the Cortana/Created threat, there's still a million more things they could do with Halo across many different mediums. Books, comics, animations, not to mention games both mainline and spinoff. Even if Infinite concluded the story they could just as easily spin up a new one to chase down a different thread or work on things that took place in the past. Halo 3 ended the Covenant as we knew it and contained the current Flood threat - did things end there? No, Bungie opted to make a prequel game and when 343 took over they picked up where 3's ending left off.

There's a galaxy of wonders and terrors out there. It's not going to be that easy to run out of things to do in it - whether these new things are appreciated or not however, is another matter. Myself in the books department, have only run into a few 'duds'. The bulk of it has been an absolute blast (I really, really am looking forward to a potential sequel to Last Light / Retribution and Smoke & Shadow / Renegades. Continuing the story of Veta and the story of the Ace of Spades crew <3)

After Cortana and her so-called Created are dealt with, there's any number of things they can do to keep conflict going. One thing we do need to remember though is that every new conflict doesn't need to "one-up" the previous one. Sure, it'd be underwhelming to go back to Covenant splinter groups and human rebellions after all we've been through, but it's going to be a constant thorn in the UNSC/ONI's side one way or the other, and either's just as capable of inflicting damage too. There's also the Flood too, that's likely going to be an ever present threat looming in the distance for a very long time.

At the end of the day though, it's going to be - as you put it - "milked" for as long as people retain some semblance of interest in the franchise. It's too important to Microsoft to just let die because one storyline was concluded. They'll just start another and keep it running 'till it goes the ways of Ultima IX and people entirely lose interest.
You'd think so, but I everyone is saying that it's now a saga instead of a trilogy. They could either finish what Halo 5 started and begin with something new, or continue the same story for as long as they can. Halo Infinite from what I've seen looks like a reboot. I'm not getting the impression that this takes place right after Halo 5, as Master Chief is stuck floating in space with new armor. Then again, it could just be some middle part of the story and not the beginning of Halo Infinite.
To me it seems like the start of a new chapter in the Halo Universe, or at least I hope. The state of the franchise after Halo 5 wasn't great, I feel as though people are getting bored with Halo since it's more or less abided by the same formula since 2001 with smaller innovations and adjustments, but at the end of the day it's mostly the same experience. Even if a truly classic Halo was made (like some people want), and even if it is received well, I still think it would be subject to the same population drops the last two games have had; not because they are bad games, but people have moved on to wanting different, newer, and fresher experiences when it comes to the time they invest in playing games.

Depending on how 343i handles The Created and how large the implications of Halo 5's story could change the state of the franchise's universe, we could be looking at an entirely new conflict at the same level of drama the Human-Covenant War had. How this will manifest in the story is hard to say, maybe it'll end up being a rehash of more of the same, but could be interesting.

Overall I just want this game to be fresh and to build off the fundamental pillars of the Halo formula. Open up the campaign a bit more, improve progression in the multiplayer, create better, more core systems to promote fan-made content, and so on. Halo doesn't need to be like the new Modern Warfare or any game of that scale, it needs to be comfortable with that it is and where it lies within the market. 343i should follow the lead of developers like id Software instead of trying to pretend Halo is still one of the big boys, it will do wonders for the reception and popularity of the game amid the audience that actually cares about the franchise.
Vlexis wrote:
*takes off helmet to reveal Halo 7: Eternity*
I think after Infinite is going to be the start of a new main character.
I wish it would be the grand finale to the main series. At this point, it’s like a few other people have mentioned, by the time the successor to 6 comes along a lot of people won’t even remember or care. They need to nail it, cap it off in a glorious, legendary yet mystic way a la Halo 3, and then do something else entirely like a series of ODST games during the rebel uprisings and early covenant days or do branch off with a new set of characters and threats years after the conclusion of Chief’s story. This “Reclaimer saga” thing honestly already feels dragged out to me. I can’t imagine needing another 2, 3 or even 4 more games to wrap up what started with 4. Bad idea. Cap the trilogy with a decent-to-good conclusion, hopefully with a better journey along the way than 5 had, and then let’s move on. And hopefully not have 5 year gaps between games, because then storytelling REALLY becomes confusing and less interesting, because in the story droughts people fill in the blanks with a ton of books and other alternative media that casuals will never read and even some more hardcore fans like myself, don’t have extra time for. The worst thing about 5 was the fact that it kicked off with me knowing very little about what was happening. The only Halo books I have read are Fall of Reach and Cole Protocol, back when I was single, unmarried, childless, and jobless lol.