Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Keep English-speaking Enemies!

OP TheSmallestPond

I really enjoy hearing enemy dialogue in Halo 5, especially the Grunts. With the IWHBYD skull, the enemies are very funny. I would like to see this kind of thing return for Halo Infinite. Especially something like the Grunt talking to the Elite in the Arbiter's camp.
I also liked the English speaking enemies but I will admit, I kind of liked hearing the Covenant in their native tongue in Halo 4. I know it wasn't a popular but I kind of liked it. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing all the funny lines and such. It's great!! And I don't want it to leave. I'm sure it won't happen, but it'd be great to have an option to change it. At the very least, maybe in some cutscenes or something the covenant could speak their language to each other at times when they don't want whoever to know what they're saying or something. It'd just be nice to hear it again, even if it's for a little bit.
It'd be cool if they spoke Sangheili to the other Covenant members and English to the humans. Pointless and a waste of resources, but cool.
I'm not sure how much nostalgia is at play here with my opinions, so take it with a grain of salt....
My favorite enemy dialogue was from the first Halo. The grunts would speak and all others were unintelligible (Although, I did hear rumors that the elites dialogue was English, just played in reverse. I have no idea how accurate that is, though). The grunts were pretty ridiculous, but not over the top.
When Halo 2 came out, I didn't enjoy it as much. The grunts weren't as funny, and the elites didn't seem nearly as alien (which was probably intentional, I suppose).

We'll see what happens in this next iteration of Halo.
Just give me 'wort, wort, wort' back and I'll be happy with whatever language.

QStephan wrote:
(Although, I did hear rumors that the elites dialogue was English, just played in reverse. I have no idea how accurate that is, though).
It's correct. Wort, wort, wort is just go, go, go backwards and sped up.
I wouldn't mind hearing a mix. I can imagine higher ranks being better at speaking english than lower ranks because of their experience. Just thinking a low rank elite trying to insult a human in English just shouting "you waffle" or something stupid like that would be funny. Especially if it's something occurs more often when you have the IWHBYD skull active
I agree I like the English, feels more Halo and light hearted. I've always thought modern Halo is too serious, the alien native language speaking is part of that.