Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Lack of communication

OP CruX M85

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Lack of Communication

What do you think about something like "forced teamchat" for some playlists?
Halo multiplayer can be very competitive but the XBL Partychat makes it pretty difficult to get some good old callouts. Do you remember before XBL Partychat even exist?
Even if you dont want to communicate you had to listen to the team (well... or mute them). Okay, I don't need to hear 15 other players while playing BTB but in playlists like Arena/MLG (or whatever it will be called) it would be nice to have a decent teamchat.

I don' want to go off topic but I've played MCC Team Hardcore the other day and no one is in teamchat. I made the same experience in Halo 5.
And don't tell me it's not possible: Some CoD Titles had this feature for S&D and it worked pretty well.

So what do you think? Would you like to see something like that for some playlists or do you have any other suggestions?

(At first I wanted to post this for the MCC patch but it's a nice discussion for future games)

Can't wait to hear your opinions!
- CruX
Yes, a COD had it and it did not work as well as you think.

Most people will either not play or mute their mics and play silently.

You can't force people to talk to others. I spend majority of my time in party chat. When I DO hang out in game chat and talk, I almost instantly regret it. No one wants to hear crass, sexist comments all day. Or bad music played down the mic. Or someone eating dinner. Or someone using their kinect for a mic.
The best way to nudge players to use mikes is to create a game that's hyper competitive with a focus on teamwork. Overwatch did that well recently. Forcing people to use mikes will never work, and it'll probably have a negative effect on communication.

As for preventing Party Chat... Maybe. But only in Ranked, and they should test it out first on a specific playlist to see whether it's worth the trouble.
I'm a big fan of reintroducing proximity chat. This would work great in playlists like Doubles and Breakout.

If you dont allow party chat many people wont talk but the majority who are already in parties will make cooperation easier and you may make new friends. Back in Halo 3 days I had way more exclusively XBL friends than now..
god no, not unless every game that's in competitve is in social. I would like to play swat and talk to my friends on the party rather than be forced to listen to people trying to tell me how to play the game. if I'm forced to listen to random people and forced to let random people listening to everything going on in my house then I'll just avoid that playlist all together. and I want to point out that you mentioned removing parties in those playlists but also still being able to mute people in game chat which is beyond pointless because I can still just mute everyone, not have communication but then also not be able to talk to friends on the xbox chat. being able to mute players completely eliminates the point of the feature.
No one wants to hear crass, sexist comments all day. Or bad music played down the mic. Or someone eating dinner. Or someone using their kinect for a mic.
this
Was it Halo 4 that let you bounce between Team chat and Party Chat relatively easy. might be thinking of a different game. But thought I had the option of hearing everyone (team/party) from Party chat but what I was saying only went to Party chat, then by hitting the D-Pad you would flip and you could communicate with Team Chat then D-pad again back to Party chat. Maybe this was from the Private chat days pre-Party chat.

You can't force people to talk to others. I spend majority of my time in party chat. When I DO hang out in game chat and talk, I almost instantly regret it. No one wants to hear crass, sexist comments all day. Or bad music played down the mic. Or someone eating dinner. Or someone using their kinect for a mic.
Exactly.
I'd like it, since I use game chat most of the time. If I'm playing with 1 friend I insist we go in game chat to maybe talk to others. That's how I am I guess, if I'm in a good mood! Unfortunately most people are quiet but some guys join in after I talk for a bit. Girls never speak up from my experience.

What he said. The banter that was typical in "old school" gaming is now frowned upon and will get u banned from both these forums and your xbox live account. At one point I had Microsoft totally lock out my account just because of trash talk on a Mic. I no longer speak outside of my party chat.

I think it kind of died off due to Party chats being so much better. Yea you miss out on meeting new friends and having a well coordinated team. But you don't have to hear someone eating their mic, someone with a high pitch voice yelling at you, the static music playing over someone's mic, someone with a broken mic, and then the fear of getting ban because you trash talk a little. I don't think forced voice chat will go well, it would be nice for team objectives. But people don't talk to randoms anymore its been like that since the second major update to the Xbox 360. *looks over shoulder* as the Prophet of Truth once said {Politics... (small sigh) How tiresome. Did you know, Arbiter, the Elites have threatened to resign, quit the High Council, because of this .... exchange of "hats?" }

Is proximity chat still in Halo or has 343 locked chat to only your team like Blizzard?

Yup, players eating crisps (potato chips if American) and kinect mics are an instant mute.

I don't think forced team chat is a good idea either, as stated players will probably mute or play silently.
The best way to nudge players to use mikes is to create a game that's hyper competitive with a focus on teamwork. Overwatch did that well recently. Forcing people to use mikes will never work, and it'll probably have a negative effect on communication.

As for preventing Party Chat... Maybe. But only in Ranked, and they should test it out first on a specific playlist to see whether it's worth the trouble.
They did it well and the latest endorcements features are kinda helping to bring back the communication.

I agree. There are many annoying people out there but especially in competitive playlists I prefer to win than hanging out with friends in partychat. I'm just trying to find a solution for more communication in competitive playlists/games. I see, forcing people to talk to each other is not an option but I don't want to be the only talking person in my team.
If I can't chat in a party with my friends in a certain playlist, I either won't play in that playlist, or I will unplug my mic while I'm in it.

You can't force someone to chat in game if they don't want to
Mmmmmmmmm, no. Its sometimes hard to find that sweet spot between callouts and decent banter. Normaly i either get silence, people raging, loud music or squeakers. Or a fuzion of all of the above. Im glad when i get good in game info of any kind or a nice conversation. But i cant imagine forced game chat, maybe just for one playlist, then see how well it works. Aslo, im a fan of proximity chat,
I understand your viewpoint, however perhaps play with friends.

I do remember before Party Chat existed. It was more tolerable. People would actually say "Good luck", "hey good game", and "want to team up"? Over time somehow it has just become worse and worse. It's just intolerable, and toxic. People playing music, people screaming in the background, and people just smack talk the whole time. It's just to volatile.

It does suck that this is the state of the internet in 2018. Because we used to he able to make friends. But now? I'll just be in my party chat with my friends enjoying Halo. Unfortunately unable to make new friends, because people are just losers online today
NxtDutch wrote:
I understand your viewpoint, however perhaps play with friends.

I do remember before Party Chat existed. It was more tolerable. People would actually say "Good luck", "hey good game", and "want to team up"? Over time somehow it has just become worse and worse. It's just intolerable, and toxic. People playing music, people screaming in the background, and people just smack talk the whole time. It's just to volatile.

It does suck that this is the state of the internet in 2018. Because we used to he able to make friends. But now? I'll just be in my party chat with my friends enjoying Halo. Unfortunately unable to make new friends, because people are just losers online today
Exactly! 100% what I was thinking.
God no that would be awful. In COD it was the worst experience ever.
dont get me wrong I remember the magic of being a kid and plugging my mic In to play social big team or whatever it was called and hear everyone talk.
but now as an adult that just annoys me and I’m always In party chat
you can't force people to talk. find a group of people with mics if it's that important. As far a the whole SnD thing, well Discord will kill that concept day one.
Forced chat would be awesome to have in the main competitive playlist I agree, it's not something you want for the bulk of the game or else you run into people who don't know how to mute noise they don't like 👍

If people can't talk in team games, don't play. Hell it'd be awesome if they could boot those very players but it's not feasible. What I find funny is how much people -Yoink- about getting stomped playing by themselves vs other teams when they contribute to that themselves.

Party chat while neat has also made people anti-social and it's undeniable, it's the perfect get away from game chat but in turn it's made it harder on those who do use game chat.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2