Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Lack of credits in battlepass progression

OP Ben the Toaster

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So I noticed at no point can you earn store credits via the battlepass or through gameplay meaning anythign in the store is paywalled completely and requires additional money, this leads me to believe that unlike other games battlepasses, if the full release passes contain no credits, then there will be no way to earn your next battlepass, unlike other games like fortnite (I have also been told that cod works this way if you save all the points from the pass) who allow a full completion of the pass to earn you enough creds to unlock the next pass, a reward for your feat and dedication.

I understand the need to monetise but i see no reason to lock things in the store away entirely dispite people paying out for a battlepass or dedicated players who invest alot of time into the game only to be told you MUST pump more money in even though you already purchased the main battlepass.
Keep in mind the BattlePass in the flight was simply there to test the system and make sure it functions and is in no way a representation of the final product
So I noticed at no point can you earn store credits via the battlepass or through gameplay meaning anythign in the store is paywalled completely and requires additional money, this leads me to believe that unlike other games battlepasses, if the full release passes contain no credits, then there will be no way to earn your next battlepass, unlike other games like fortnite (I have also been told that cod works this way if you save all the points from the pass) who allow a full completion of the pass to earn you enough creds to unlock the next pass, a reward for your feat and dedication.

I understand the need to monetise but i see no reason to lock things in the store away entirely dispite people paying out for a battlepass or dedicated players who invest alot of time into the game only to be told you MUST pump more money in even though you already purchased the main battlepass.
343 said that you only have to purchase the battle pass one time and then you own ALL seasons, you will never have to pay for the battle pass again
I agree with you on this front. Giving people the chance to earn the next BP for free by completing the current one seems like a good idea. However that seems more like an insentive to go through each battlepass as it comes out which just isn't necessary with Infinite (my assumption on why it may not be the case). Also the BP in the flight was confirmed to be one made for the flight as well so anything there is likely not fully final in design.
They could also make credits attainable through seasonal challenges instead, if it's a thing in Infinite. Or through the fracture events.
In anycase I wouldn't expect them to go above the cost of the BP in 'awarded credits'

343 said that you only have to purchase the battle pass one time and then you own ALL seasons, you will never have to pay for the battle pass again
That's definitely not what they said. Where'd you get that info?

They said that once you buy a battlepass you get to level through it whenever you want. meaning if you buy Season 2, leave before you finish and come back during Season 5 you still have access to leveling Season 2.
I know it sucks to hear, but since the battle passes are going to stay forever, they can't allow you to get credits toward the next one for free. If they did you would only ever need to buy the first season, which wouldn't make 343 the money they need to continue the game for 10 years like they plan to.
I agree with you, but like other people said, this was just a test of the mechanics and not a representation of the final product.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there will probably be a level system separate from the battlepass (think apex) and they could reward credits there as well.
DUDE was thinking this too. Just need enough coins to repurchase the battlepass upon completion!
I know it sucks to hear, but since the battle passes are going to stay forever, they can't allow you to get credits toward the next one for free. If they did you would only ever need to buy the first season, which wouldn't make 343 the money they need to continue the game for 10 years like they plan to.
Fortnite had you earn enough vbucks from the Battlepass each season in order to purchase the next one, and that system worked pretty well for them.
Fortnite had you earn enough vbucks from the Battlepass each season in order to purchase the next one, and that system worked pretty well for them.
Yes, but their battle passes aren't permanent like Infinite. If you don't complete a pass in Fortnite you have to pay for the next one.
some good points were made about the nature of passes being permanent and so you can just take your time to progress and onyl ever have to pay once, my counter argument to this is:
A) many peopel will either get to the gear in their battlepass they want and bee impatient when the next drops
B) if a finite numbe rof credits can be earned via the battlepass, many may end up spending these on cosmetics in the shop rather than the next battlepass, meaning they will have ot pay but again it becomes their choice of how to spend these credits
C) evryone who said this is a taster and not representitive, your 100% correct, however i still feel its worth raising pruely as a concern and letting it be known how we feel about this, if no one said anything then theres a reduced chance of change or an aknowlegment of how credits can be earned
D) if you are consistently cfoming back to complete each battlepass having only payed for the 1st, your doing 2 things for the game, 1st being you already spend SOME money and may be the kind of person unwilling to spend much more if they had no choice, and th2nd being you are maintining a server pop for other players who may be inclined to spend more money and so keeps the mm wait times short and keeps the whales coming back.

I abslutley see the argmument of permanent battlepasses being an issue if you allow the earnign of credits to buy the next one, but if theres exclusive shop items ontop of that i have a feeling the game will not suffer for it.
Okay, now that the battle pass leaked we can confirm 100% that there will be NO WAY TO EARN CREDITS IN THE GAME, it is obvious that 343 wants to monetize again in a more aggressive way, making the player to have more customizables must force to pay to get. I don't think it's right that 343 is taking Halo in this direction.
Okay, now that the battle pass leaked we can confirm 100% that there will be NO WAY TO EARN CREDITS IN THE GAME, it is obvious that 343 wants to monetize again in a more aggressive way, making the player to have more customizables must force to pay to get. I don't think it's right that 343 is taking Halo in this direction.
What? You mean we don't get literally everything for free, we have to pay for extra content! Down with 343, down with Walmart for making me pay to walk out the store with items in my basket, down with Microsoft for not sending me a new xbox for free!

People wanted unlimited Battle passes, and this is the trade off. Epic rewards players who are willing to grind all month to unlock the next pass for free, anyone who isn't still has to pay and loses out on the items in the pass they already bought. It preys on fomo. 343 are taking a different approach, each battle pass is like a static pack of DLC armour. If you want the armour in that pass, but the pass. If not, don't. If they allowed people to unlock the next pass just by finishing this one it incentives them to just make the pass even more grindy to complete anyway, so enough players won't get to finish each pass in the month. This way they are free to make leveling the pass fit easily into the 3 month window, and it'll stick around for anyone who missed the boat on completing it.

It's honestly THIS simple: if you don't want to spend the 15$ on a 120-tier battle pass, just don't spend the money... lmao
GLNK1 wrote:
What? You mean we don't get literally everything for free, we have to pay for extra content! Down with 343, down with Walmart for making me pay to walk out the store with items in my basket, down with Microsoft for not sending me a new xbox for free!

People wanted unlimited Battle passes, and this is the trade off. Epic rewards players who are willing to grind all month to unlock the next pass for free, anyone who isn't still has to pay and loses out on the items in the pass they already bought. It preys on fomo. 343 are taking a different approach, each battle pass is like a static pack of DLC armour. If you want the armour in that pass, but the pass. If not, don't. If they allowed people to unlock the next pass just by finishing this one it incentives them to just make the pass even more grindy to complete anyway, so enough players won't get to finish each pass in the month. This way they are free to make leveling the pass fit easily into the 3 month window, and it'll stick around for anyone who missed the boat on completing it.
LOL right?? "How dare they give us a free game and have the nerve to offer a 15$ 120-tier battle pass for cosmetics!!!" AN OUTRAGE! *grabs energy pitch-fork*
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah! How dare people ask for a complete game including SP and MP and completed co-op and forge at launch for $60! How could anyone ever expect to pay $60 for a game and get a full suite of MP progression?!?!?!?!

*Halo: Reach snickers in the corner*
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah! How dare people ask for a complete game including SP and MP and completed co-op and forge at launch for $60! How could anyone ever expect to pay $60 for a game and get a full suite of MP progression?!?!?!?!

Would you rather the industry just start charging $500 for every title up front? It’s been moving this direction for a very long time.
Quote:
Quote:
You had to pay $40 for new maps in Halo Reach.

For $40 via battle passes we will likely be able to buy more/better customisation options that are tailored to our own liking more. We also will end up getting more maps, for free, more regularly.

I'm so glad gaming companies have evolved, it's significantly better now than it ever was.
You have the full game already?
I'll buy the campaign, but from what I've seen of the first 120 level battle pass I see no reason to bother with it or support it. Grinding challenges AND paying money for a handful of decent stuff out of 120 levels just doesnt look appealing. To me they need to throw in enough free content to keep people engaged and only charge for unique stuff, but it looks like they've just assumed everyone will be paying up and have put even the most basic stuff behind a paywall. That runs the risk of some players not engaging with the progression system at all, which means those players are more likely to walk away from the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2