Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Let Flag Carriers be able to Drive Again

OP MasterCh1ef87

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Why Bungie and 343 took this feature out after Halo CE has always baffled
me. I personally loved it as a single person in a vehicle is always a threat.

Even if its not in MatchMaking at least make it an option in Custom Games.

Ehhhhhh I'm not wild about this one. Custom games, sure go for it. But I feel if you allow flag carriers to operate their own vehicles, you remove a portion on the team play element. They could definitely do it, but I'm not sure they should.
I like the teamwork involved in not being able to drive your own vehicle

It only existed in CE because that was before Xbox live. Remember that game is from 2001 so internet gaming and competative team gaming wasn't even a thing yet. At that time most people had American Online dial up internet so any mutliplayer was being done via lan party. Halo 2 was the first game in the fanchise to latch on to Xbox Live and kick off the competative gaming comunity.
I'm inclined to agree with only having this in customs. I think it's pretty sweet and kinda amusing to see the driver with the flag while in a vehicle. I know I had some fun CTF 1v1s on Blood Gulch in CE. But, it would take away from the team aspect of CTF. Right now, teammates have to care for the flag carrier and allowing the carrier to drive would basically allow the other players to go do their own thing rather than focus on the objective. However, I'd love for it to make a return in customs because more options for customs only mean more creative games.
Man, they're already hard enough to catch in 5 if your team isn't coordinated...the last thing we need is for someone to grab the flag, hop on a Mongoose, and blitz out of there scott free.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."

It only existed in CE because that was before Xbox live. Remember that game is from 2001 so internet gaming and competative team gaming wasn't even a thing yet. At that time most people had American Online dial up internet so any mutliplayer was being done via lan party. Halo 2 was the first game in the fanchise to latch on to Xbox Live and kick off the competative gaming comunity.
Internet and XBL wasn’t the reason why Bungie let you drive a vehicle with the flag.

Internet and XBL wasn’t the reason why Bungie let you drive a vehicle with the flag.
Yeah it was. They let you drive it because they didn't have the experience or the player base understanding they had for Halo 2 and beyond. That means that they moved to take away the flag carriers ability to drive to encourage co op and competative play. The decision to take away the drivers ability to drive really brought on the competative nature of the game.
No, have the option to set in customs (say if you want to bring back Iron CTF) but leave it as passenger only. Right now with the vehicles the best combat vehicles cannot carry flags and the best flag vehicles can be outclassed in combat.
The customs in Halo 5 is incredible where you can even script in different environments and roles for the assigned object.
They already allowed the flag carrier to have a magnum, if they could drive there would be almost no team play. Plus they would be damn near impossible to catch if they had a vehicle nearby.
They already allowed the flag carrier to have a magnum, if they could drive there would be almost no team play. Plus they would be damn near impossible to catch if they had a vehicle nearby.
I can't speak for everyone's experience, but I stay away from objective based game types because there is little team play ever used. Whenever I used to play Oddball, CTF, Disarm Bomb, etc, my team mates would go off treating it like it was a Slayer match. So while the enemy team is winning, I'm stuck trying to do the objective while everyone else is just trying to rack up kills.

I got so frustrated whenever I'd grab the Flag/Bomb and go to get in a vehicle only for my team mates to jump out of it and start fighting the enemy or they just take off, leaving me behind.
I can't speak for everyone's experience, but I stay away from objective based game types because there is little team play ever used. Whenever I used to play Oddball, CTF, Disarm Bomb, etc, my team mates would go off treating it like it was a Slayer match. So while the enemy team is winning, I'm stuck trying to do the objective while everyone else is just trying to rack up kills.

I got so frustrated whenever I'd grab the Flag/Bomb and go to get in a vehicle only for my team mates to jump out of it and start fighting the enemy or they just take off, leaving me behind.
That's at least partly because many playlists put in objective modes where most players don't want to play them. So they just treat it like slayer without a kill cap. Its been an issue in Halo for a very long time now.
Customs as an option probably be fine but online I'd rather they didn't since it encourages team-work.
This is one of the few features that I'd be in favor of there being a toggle in settings for. Especially given how much control players have over creating their own style of CTF maps with Forge, it will sometimes make sense to give carriers the ability to independently drive vehicles.

Across the board, though? I think if it's an all or nothing, I'd prefer that the flag carriers be more limited than empowered as a general rule, as this encourages the team element of CTF (and in objective modes, I've always drawn satisfaction mainly by how effectively my team has been able to cohesively act).

Toggle on a feature like this doesn't have the same potency as a community divisive threat in the same way that it would on Sprint and Spartan/Armor Abilities, so I'd say that's the happy balance for this particular feature.

Yeah, that is pretty much everyone's experience with the game. That is why I only play objective games when I have a party of at least 3 preferrably all 4. That way you avoid the pug games where everyone acts like Slayer.

Yeah it was. They let you drive it because they didn't have the experience or the player base understanding they had for Halo 2 and beyond. That means that they moved to take away the flag carriers ability to drive to encourage co op and competative play. The decision to take away the drivers ability to drive really brought on the competative nature of the game.
I’m going to need a quote or link on that. I’ve been playing Halo CE since 2001 and Ive never come across a quote from Bungie saying this is the reason why Flag Carriers can drive.

Enabling the Flag Carrier to drive does make the game more competitive. You literally have to be on the fence every time a person is in a vehicle.

In the other games I’ve literally been in a Warthog with two friends we get to the enemy base, wipe out the enemy team and 2 out of the 3 of us die. The vehicle is now useless to the Flag carrier except in Halo CE. 3 guys took on a group of 8 yet we couldn’t capture a flag because we aren’t allowed to drive with the flag anymore. Teamwork yeah good luck with that if the remaining part of your team is half way across the map.

I’m going to need a quote or link on that. I’ve been playing Halo CE since 2001 and Ive never come across a quote from Bungie saying this is the reason why Flag Carriers can drive.

Enabling the Flag Carrier to drive does make the game more competitive. You literally have to be on the fence every time a person is in a vehicle.

In the other games I’ve literally been in a Warthog with two friends we get to the enemy base, wipe out the enemy team and 2 out of the 3 of us die. The vehicle is now useless to the Flag carrier except in Halo CE. 3 guys took on a group of 8 yet we couldn’t capture a flag because we aren’t allowed to drive with the flag anymore. Teamwork yeah good luck with that if the remaining part of your team is half way across the map.
I'm not sure there is a specified reason WHY the flag carrier can drive in Halo CE however I can tell you that it didn't make any sense to continue that once Xbox Live launched and competative multiplayer took off. The vehicle isn't useless to the flag carrier it just requires team work. If a flag carrier can drive the vehicle, then why would you need cooperation or team work? What you're complaining about is pug games where nobody works together for team game modes. That doesn't mean that the flag carrier should drive, it means that the team that works together the best usually wins. Get some friends together, play team games together.
It would be very helpful in a way..... Screw it I say yes.

Now what about First person passenger seat?

I'm not sure there is a specified reason WHY the flag carrier can drive in Halo CE however I can tell you that it didn't make any sense to continue that once Xbox Live launched and competative multiplayer took off. The vehicle isn't useless to the flag carrier it just requires team work. If a flag carrier can drive the vehicle, then why would you need cooperation or team work? What you're complaining about is pug games where nobody works together for team game modes. That doesn't mean that the flag carrier should drive, it means that the team that works together the best usually wins. Get some friends together, play team games together.
I just explained me and 2 buddies wiped out the entire team of 8. Two of us died in the process but one survived and should be able to get away with the flag in a vehicle.

I have plenty of Halo buddies and we all play CE still on MCC, ever hear of a two Warthog push with one being a decoy so the other hog driver can get in and out with the flag by driving. That’s teamwork right there.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2