Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Main menu game "previews"

OP SpecialShelf753

In the oldest Halo games, there is a little feature where if you idle on the main menu for a certain amount of time, the screen fades out and then starts playing short gameplay videos from across Halo's various modes of play in this order: Campaign, Co-operative, Multiplayer, and Xbox Live (that one might have been added first in Halo 2).
So, I was thinking that since the last game to have these was the Halo 3 Mythic Menu that came with ODST, and Halo Infinite is going to be like a spiritual reboot, it would be really nice if the game had them as well. It's probably a very minor thing, but one that would be very nice to have!
Although I haven't really missed them, I did enjoy them and wouldn't mind seeing them return.
Replay videos from the last game you played. The medal type moments (eg. triple kills, snapshots, game savers etc).

Otherwise I would love a little firefight type game to show up... so you can keep warmed up while you wait.
MCC has the cool animation that plays in the background of the menu which I think is a really nice touch. If they have something like that for Infinite’s main menu I think that would look really cool.
Darwi wrote:
Replay videos from the last game you played. The medal type moments (eg. triple kills, snapshots, game savers etc).
This would be so awesome. It would be so affirming after doing terribly in a game to be reminded of some nasty trickshot or multikill you pulled, especially in slo mo. maybe even just a warthog jump or something else fun. Like a randomised montage. Maybe it could be worked into some kind of animated background which the december inside infinite post hinted at, like playing on the holo table or something, then it could run at a low resolution and level of graphical quality. I really like this idea.
AnimeZoomy wrote:
Darwi wrote:
This would be so awesome. It would be so affirming after doing terribly in a game to be reminded of some nasty trickshot or multikill you pulled, especially in slo mo. maybe even just a warthog jump or something else fun. Like a randomised montage. Maybe it could be worked into some kind of animated background which the december inside infinite post hinted at, like playing on the holo table or something, then it could run at a low resolution and level of graphical quality. I really like this idea.
If they had something like Overwatch's play of the game but instead of showing a play of the game after every match they just recorded and then played your own personal best plays on the menu screen that would be sick! Or if they just bring back theater mode and let you view match replays and highlights and let you make your own machinimas and stuff again that would also be pretty cool.
AnimeZoomy wrote:
Darwi wrote:
If they had something like Overwatch's play of the game but instead of showing a play of the game after every match they just recorded and then played your own personal best plays on the menu screen that would be sick! Or if they just bring back theater mode and let you view match replays and highlights and let you make your own machinimas and stuff again that would also be pretty cool.
What do you mean "bring back theater mode"? It never left...
AnimeZoomy wrote:
Darwi wrote:
They have theater mode in Halo 5??? I must be blind....
AnimeZoomy wrote:
Darwi wrote:
I'm sure of it, though now you are making me doubt myself.
AnimeZoomy wrote:
Darwi wrote:
I'm sure of it, though now you are making me doubt myself.
I think it's only for multiplayer, no campaign. It was widely critiqued cause it was recorded server- side rather than client-side so the replay made it look like you missed all your shots.
Darwi wrote:

Otherwise I would love a little firefight type game to show up... so you can keep warmed up while you wait.
That sounds interesting, but I personally don't see the appeal, although that is simply because I'm such an average player, it's not like I can ever do anything replay worthy when playing online...
It might also be a bit more tricky to implement than simple pre-recorded gameplay snippets. I don't know that for sure, of course. It's just a thought. Anyway, I'm not against it, I just would prefer to have the "previews" as I feel it would fit more into the whole spiritual reboot thing.

Although I haven't really missed them, I did enjoy them and wouldn't mind seeing them return.
I agree! It's not a massive deal breaker, it's just one of those minor little things. I loved watching them, though. They made the games look even more fun to me!
Maybe it could be adapted so that when your selecting/hovering over a gamemode for multiplayer it plays a clip of said gamemode in the background. Rather than just an ordinary screenshot. Could also be added to campaign as well. A toggle switch for it too.