Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Make the Hog Better

OP FixedFrameNate

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The chain gun warthogs in every Halo since H3 have been underpowered. Especially in 4 and 5, a single plasma grenade was enough to destroy a hog. Add in the fact that plasma pistols are easy to get in H4 and H5, and the warthog no longer strikes any fear into the opposing team, it’s looked at like as an easy double kill.

In H3 a chain gun hog could be stopped, but also could wreck havoc if the opposing team didn’t strategize to shut it down.

TLDR, the hog takes 2 Spartans to operate, and should be a net force multiplier. Every game after H3 made the hog feel LESS effective than two Spartans on foot.
The chain gun warthogs in every Halo since H3 have been underpowered. Especially in 4 and 5, a single plasma grenade was enough to destroy a hog. Add in the fact that plasma pistols are easy to get in H4 and H5, and the warthog no longer strikes any fear into the opposing team, it’s looked at like as an easy double kill.

In H3 a chain gun hog could be stopped, but also could wreck havoc if the opposing team didn’t strategize to shut it down.

TLDR, the hog takes 2 Spartans to operate, and should be a net force multiplier. Every game after H3 made the hog feel LESS effective than two Spartans on foot.
You just need a smart driver. Its like MOBA games. The driver is the support, the gunner is the carry. I think the Warthog is more of a "High risk, high reward" vehicle. Do it right and not run it down then you can use it effectively.

But I agree with what you say about the plasma grenade thing. I don't think its armor is necessary like paper, but, it should flies around like one.

Agreed about the reduced vehicle durability and increased vehicle vulnerability to infantry weapons being a hindrance to vehicle performance. While we're at it, let's not forget about how the Hog is light as a feather, easily prone to being tripped up by a pebble - to use an extreme example. This became abundantly clear in Reach, although the sentinels and carriers in the H3 Hog run also represented a menace to driving. Plus, ramps were almost suicidal to drive over. The Hog could really use more traction, if that's the right word for it.

Two other gripes I've had with the Hog over the years: inconsistent splatter (an issue with vehicles in general actually, i.e. you could be driving full speed at an enemy but due to a slight angle adjustment or terrain shift, it doesn't do any damage) and reduced effectiveness of powersliding (I'm thinking mainly of H3, but it could also apply to other halos i.e. difficult to parallel park, can no longer fling yourself out of the seat without risking splatter). Although I appreciate the ability to swap seats without having to get out, that was a good addition. Sure beats driving the Hog straight forward and using the momentum to jump into the turret.

I noticed most of the Hog's variants in H5 were purely cosmetic or merely featured different projectiles and some other minor differences. How about making the "Turtle" from H3 Forge an actual thing? Back then, it was a simple setup with two UNSC shield barriers placed over it. I seem to remember it being sturdy enough to fend off the lasers from the Sandbox guardians (as long as you drove really slowly).

There was also a modded Hog hovercraft featured somewhere on YouTube.

Edit: SectionUnity beat me to it. Yea the Hog flips too easily, it could use more stability.
All 343I need to do is make the warhog like the Halo 3 one. It should take a lot of small arms fire to destroy, damage to it makes it harder to drive and the chain gun ripped apart enemies up close and mid range, but especially up close. That's it., Aka like the h3 warhog. That's all they need to do. A pretty simple fix.
A hog that behaves like the Halo 3 version would be perfect.
Buffing the gun isn't going to do much if we still have the same garbage chip damage system as a holdover from Reach. As long as vehicles can be tickled to death by unavoidable precision weapons neither the Warthog or any other vehicle is going to shine like they used to.

What I wouldn't give for the Halo 3 vehicle system to return.
How about a hog that has both the chaingun and gauss cannon, and is maybe much slower to operate. Also make the gauss cannon how it used to be, at least in campaign.
I’d be fine if the gauss hog continued to seem like it’s made out of balsa wood soaked in gasoline. You’re trading armor for power, which is fine.
I’d be fine if the gauss hog continued to seem like it’s made out of balsa wood soaked in gasoline. You’re trading armor for power, which is fine.
I wouldn't be. Maybe have the Gauss Rifle be an extra weak point when shot, but really, Halo's vehicles need to be buffed back from 'fragile enough to die from a stiff breeze' overall, even the good ones. Except for the Banshee.
I feel like one major issue is that weapons are hitscan. You can 100% cross map gaurunteed damage on vehicles with any UNSC weapon since reach. One thing that made vehicles live longer was that small arms could easily miss faster vehicles.
You could also take down a hog with one plasma grande in H3, but I agree the hog is too weak right now and needs to be improved to be close to the hog in H3.
I would say that the Warthog is as important to Halo as is the Masterchief. It definitely deserves some love.
The hog in every single halo game has ALWAYS steered like a brick. That’s why I rarely ever use it myself. It’s porrly armored and the weapon on it is only as good as the person manning it and that also largely depends on the driver too.

I've always seem the Hog as a glass cannon. I think one grenade is a little much unless it sticks directly to the player and not the vehicle.
Yeah the hog has gone over many changes over the years. I feel like they kind of put the hog on the side lines after taking it out of standard 4v4 and going more Arena style matches. In the old days 2 people could really do some damage to the opposing team. Yet I never felt it was too OP as some well placed grenades or team work could take care of it. That said I do think its a little weak in it current form.
Not having plasma pistols and plasma grenades on spawn should be enough to mitigate this problem. Also, let's get that chain turret back.
The only thing they need to do is give the warthog more light weapons protection and, basically, give the laser turret from Halo 3 (although the Halo 3 turret reticle is huge, the bullets never spread like in current Halo games, they go on a straight line, to the middle of the circle)
I wonder what the right amount of homing on the plasma pistol is too. In H3 it was minimal and that felt more fair. In H4 and H5 the plasma pistol bolts could track around curves very well.
While we're on the topic of beefing the Warthog, can we also talk about how the driver of the vehicle takes more damage than the passenger when it's the passenger who's being shot? I get that vehicles kind of 'share' health pools, but for -Yoink!- sakes, I don't understand how my passenger or even my gunner can be taking damage and it's somehow my shields that are draining like crazy!
There definitely should be shared health pools in vehicles. The vehicle should have its health pool, and the two players operate independently of that vehicle pool. If the vehicle is destroyed the resulting explosion deal enough damage to kill the occupants. But vehicle damage should translate into shield damage.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2