Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Map Scale & What It Brings

OP J3nk0J1

So this is just pure speculation...

But based on the demo footage the environments (maps) are about to get a whole lot more detailed. But more importantly a whole lot bigger if any of these open vista shot's are to be taken as in game locations.

With that comes room for a more "battlefieldy" kind of game play. Now I'm not saying Halo is becoming battlefield, I'm not saying that at all. But with all this extra room to move, it opens up some possibilities. Especially with the likes of vehicle game play.

I for one would love to be able to jump into a pelican and shuttle other players around. How they may or may not go around this is up for speculation. But I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others regarding this new found scale.
It excites me because I am reminded of those huge battlefieldesque multiplayer battles that Bungie were originally going to implement in Halo 3 (scarabs, falling buildings, frigates). We saw this somewhat with Warzone, but on a smaller scale. None of us know the limit to this slipspace engine yet, so the use of these large scale maps could see Bungies original vision of a true Halo war mode come to fruition.
To be honest, I have zero interest in larger scale Halo multiplayer. I don't think the experience is improved by larger map and team sizes over the traditional 8v8 BTB format. Designing larger maps is only more effort on the developer's part. Battlefield works because its primary mode of combat is that kind of large scale combat. It doesn't put a significant emphasis on small team gameplay for the same reason Halo shouldn't put too much focus on large scale gameplay: the more things you try to do, the worse you end up doing any single thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the lackluster Arena map line-up of Halo 5 was partially caused by the large emphasis on Warzone. On the other hand, traditional BTB is completely gone from the developer created maps, because all effort on that front went into Warzone.
I would love maps maybe 2-3 times bigger than WZ maps with enough people in a match for that to be balanced. Basically BTB on steroids.
tsassi wrote:
To be honest, I have zero interest in larger scale Halo multiplayer. I don't think the experience is improved by larger map and team sizes over the traditional 8v8 BTB format. Designing larger maps is only more effort on the developer's part. Battlefield works because its primary mode of combat is that kind of large scale combat. It doesn't put a significant emphasis on small team gameplay for the same reason Halo shouldn't put too much focus on large scale gameplay: the more things you try to do, the worse you end up doing any single thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the lackluster Arena map line-up of Halo 5 was partially caused by the large emphasis on Warzone. On the other hand, traditional BTB is completely gone from the developer created maps, because all effort on that front went into Warzone.
Of course I’d never want them to do away with the traditional 8v8 maps.

I agree with your statement about BTB, it’s a real shame honestly. Frankly I would like to see less community / forge built maps in ranked rotations.

Some are good, otherwise I feel they detract from a ranked experience. I think if they kept those core ranked playlists, but offered up another set of larger game types; they could potentially attract a larger number of players to the game while preserving halo at its core.
New engine should be pretty great!