Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Marines and Squad Commands

OP KingyBRFC

One thing Halo 4 and 5 lacked was marines, the heart of the UNSC. I never understood why they never actually used marines. Halo Infinite needs combat with marines to revive the series and give it that old feeling. Give them personality like stacker or johnson or chips dubbo. Also, i'd like to see the 'swap weapons' feature reintroduced as it added strategy to playing on higher difficulties that just wasnt around in Halo 4 and 5. Lastly, in some shape or form id like to see marine squads like from halo reach where you can command your marines: commandeer vehicle, get out, fire, move, stop commands. As long as it doesnt turn too much into an rts game thatd be fine, i still want classic fps gameplay though. What are your thoughts?
KingyBRFC wrote:
One thing Halo 4 and 5 lacked was marines, the heart of the UNSC. I never understood why they never actually used marines. Halo Infinite needs combat with marines to revive the series and give it that old feeling. Give them personality like stacker or johnson or chips dubbo. Also, i'd like to see the 'swap weapons' feature reintroduced as it added strategy to playing on higher difficulties that just wasnt around in Halo 4 and 5. Lastly, in some shape or form id like to see marine squads like from halo reach where you can command your marines: commandeer vehicle, get out, fire, move, stop commands. As long as it doesnt turn too much into an rts game thatd be fine, i still want classic fps gameplay though. What are your thoughts?
The reintroduction of marines is an exciting idea. I’d be totally on board with their return. Marine commands may be complex, given the limited amount of commands an Xbox controller can preform, but I can see it working on PC. Also I feel that marine commands would take away from the game, unless you always are with them the commands wouldn’t do much solo.
Perhaps a D pad button opens a sort of "command uplink" screen on your visor, similar to the map in ODST. Bird's eye view of the area/room, where you can assign zones or vehicles to take. I don't think it is necessary but it can offer a new experience.

Perhaps like Halo 5 (I think) while you have your sights on an ally it outlines them and then you can press Dpad to open uplink, A to order movement to [known, revealed, meaning you will have had to either recon or move through] areas or location of interest like sniper tower, or tabs to quickly switch to weapon pickups / vehicle commands. Idk just brainstorming, maybe even that is too weirdly bulky. Want something where you don't type obviously, but can offer some simple pre battle planning. Heck even the old style of giving marines certain weapons or getting them into a side seat was classic planning. Something that combat evolves that little aspect will be - that slightly overused and probably tiresome by now word - innovative.
KingyBRFC wrote:
If the swapping weapons feature comes back, I want to be able to tell them when to swap. Not like in Halo 5 they swap so randomly. I give them a spartan laser on the warthog and they switch to the plasma pistol...

And yeah marine squads sounds fine, give me less stress to try to save them when their scripts make them run smacking in front of a brute.
KingyBRFC wrote:
I agree with you, but would like to point out 4 had a fair amount of Marines though the mid sections of the game and Spartan ops.
Now that this is mentioned, its sounds pretty cool being able to command marines into cover, defend, enter vehicle, take position. The only flaw I can think of is the controls.
Maybe holding down a certain button will open up a command marines wheel in which you can select an order and look at a spot to tell them where to take cover or which vehicle to enter. Just an idea but i'm interested to see if this function gets implemented and how.
Love marines, they need to be brought back. H5 marines were UGLY so I didn't mind that aspect of them not being a focus in H5 gameplay lol From the H6 trailer the marines look good again though.
I think a fusion of the Halo Reach marine system and the Halo 5 command system would accomplish this effectively. It would be awesome if you could gather more than 4 marines at a time and command a massive army of them. Imagine if you could command that group of Marines and civilians at the end of The Storm in Halo 3...