Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Marty and Infinite

OP lil proPhitt

I know it will most likely never happen lol, but imagine if Microsoft and 343 asked Marty to visit the studio, even if it was only for a day, to offer advice and insight on the audio development of Infinite. Don’t get me wrong, the music we’ve heard so far definitely seems to be aimed in the right direction, but having that extra ear of Marty O’Donnell, the man who IS the sound of Halo, would be nothing short of amazing. They’ve already acquired Joseph Staten, so maybe there’s still a chance... Oh well, a guy can dream lol
You forgot to include Michael Salvatori since he AND Marty were the ones behind the original games score.
DC 409871 wrote:
You forgot to include Michael Salvatori since he AND Marty were the ones behind the original games score.
Yes you’re absolutely correct, I don’t mean to try and discard any of Michael Salvatori’s credit. The 2 of them together truly are the dynamic duo in regards to the legendary music of Halo.
I don't think 343 is on very good terms with Marty for whatever reason. When they were remastering the soundtrack for H2A, the audio team was not allowed to reach out to Marty for help or advice even though it would have saved them a LOT of stress doing so.
Not sure what the background is, but it seems that Marty and 343 aren't on the best of terms. I may be reading too much into it, but I've listened to a couple long-form interviews between Marty and some Halo content creators. Both times the topic of Marty working on Infinite has come up. Both times Marty has said he is receptive to being a part of the Halo story again, but he has yet to get a call or even a late night drunk text from anyone at 343 asking for his assistance.

It's not like 343 employees haven't watched at least one of these interviews at some point. So it stands to reason that they've heard Marty would be a part of Halo again, but they've declined to include him at this point. There might be a legit reason, but I'm not privy to 343's internal discussions, if there are any, about Marty coming back into the fold.
DC 409871 wrote:
Yes you’re absolutely correct, I don’t mean to try and discard any of Michael Salvatori’s credit. The 2 of them together truly are the dynamic duo in regards to the legendary music of Halo.
And Steve Vai, there was more to it than just the two mentioned. It was something unique they all accomplished.
Considering Infinite is supposed to be a 10 year platform I think it'd be cool if 343i asked him to come back after he's done with his current game. He still seems very interested in Halo judging by his YouTube and comments he's made in interviews.
I'm going to get some major backlash for this.... But after watching the interview he did with Hidden, I honestly don't want him to ever touch Halo again. While his work and leadership did guide Halo and Bungie to arguably one of the best franchises in the world. He was also the big pusher on some story driven plots (ex. Johnsons Death) and why Bungie took the steps they did to leave Halo and move to Activision.

He also didn't seem interested in 343s vision of expanding the Halo Universe outside of games. When Hidden asked him about a "Hunters in the Dark" he had a massive eye roll acting like the story behind it wasn't worth telling. While I deeply believe Marty loves Halo and has done some amazing things for the series, I just don't think he'll be good for the long term of the series unless its Music only.
Not sure what the background is, but it seems that Marty and 343 aren't on the best of terms. I may be reading too much into it, but I've listened to a couple long-form interviews between Marty and some Halo content creators. Both times the topic of Marty working on Infinite has come up. Both times Marty has said he is receptive to being a part of the Halo story again, but he has yet to get a call or even a late night drunk text from anyone at 343 asking for his assistance.

It's not like 343 employees haven't watched at least one of these interviews at some point. So it stands to reason that they've heard Marty would be a part of Halo again, but they've declined to include him at this point. There might be a legit reason, but I'm not privy to 343's internal discussions, if there are any, about Marty coming back into the fold.
I don't want to take away from him, because Marty is a musical and sound design genius, but I think it's more of a "Marty problem" than 343. He left Bungie on bad terms, and he's on bad terms with 343's upper echelon too. It's not likely he wouldn't be on good terms with either company unless he wasn't kinda difficult to work with.
I don't think 343 is on very good terms with Marty for whatever reason. When they were remastering the soundtrack for H2A, the audio team was not allowed to reach out to Marty for help or advice even though it would have saved them a LOT of stress doing so.
you also have to remember that during H2A development Marty was still will Bungie. He did not leave until April of 2014 (the year when D1 and H2A released). I dont think there are actual bad terms with any of them but during that time frame, he did work with an entirely different company. Now with infinite, you could make the argument they don't want to lean purely on the name of one guy (hence why they have multiple main composers all with a diverse and high-quality music portfolio). Could there be animosity between the 2? eh not really, if anything it be with MS and Marty.
eviltedi wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
And Steve Vai, there was more to it than just the two mentioned. It was something unique they all accomplished.
Eh, I’m not really a fan of the theme Steve Vai did with Halo 2. All that extra guitar soloing just sounds corny and out of place to me. The original theme from Combat Evolved that Marty and Michael created will always be the best.

I don't want to take away from him, because Marty is a musical and sound design genius, but I think it's more of a "Marty problem" than 343. He left Bungie on bad terms, and he's on bad terms with 343's upper echelon too. It's not likely he wouldn't be on good terms with either company unless he wasn't kinda difficult to work with.
I see what you're saying, and part of me got that vibe too. I mean Marty is a genius when it comes to music, and geniuses can be notoriously difficult to work with. Again, we are all probably looking too much into it, but it isn't unreasonable for us to be a little confused when we see an iconic staple of Halo, who wants to be a part of the franchise again, kinda getting the "thanks but no thanks" from the Halo team.
eviltedi wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
Eh, I’m not really a fan of the theme Steve Vai did with Halo 2. All that extra guitar soloing just sounds corny and out of place to me. The original theme from Combat Evolved that Marty and Michael created will always be the best.
Well, just because you're not a fan of it, or find it corny and out of place, does not mean others feel the same. Even Nile Rodgers was involved, amongst others. I'm not a fan of some of Nile's work like the Diana Ross track Upside Down, but I cannot ignore the work he put into Halo. In fact, there's a fair few names / bands that deserve to be mentioned imo.

You're the first Halo fan that I have heard refer to THIS as corny and out of place, and if you watch the other video I linked Marty seemed to love it too, oh wait, he put it in the soundtrack. I get not everyone is a rock guitar fan, but corny and out of place ? Don't get that at all. Here's a good watch for any fans that might of missed it. Steve, Nile and Marty.
eviltedi wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
Are you referring to the Halo 2 version of the Halo theme? Yes, I don't really like that one either. It is in fact my least favourite version of the Halo theme out of Halo CE, 2, and 3. I am not a fan of rock or heavy metal, or whatever it is. And yet...somehow I actually like Reclaimer...
Marty O'Donnel is a music genius and we all love his contributions to the Halo saga. That being said, he is acting quite rude and selfish recently. Whenever 343 talks about Halo music or releases a new track he goes on Twitter to complain and throw some shade like he is the only musical mind behind Halo and kinda deminishes the work all the composers have made. Honestly, I would not like to see him come back again, his advice could be more harmful than helpful considering his ego is at the size of the world. I'm really excited to see that new creative minds are working with Halo so we can have new, unexpected and insighting sounds for the saga.
eviltedi wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
HERESY
Marty would never be allowed anywhere near 343 and MS nowadays. The guy shares his stances online frequently, and those stances frequently don't line up with anything MS would allow near their studios. Not to mention that, as much of a genius Marty is, he is extremely well-known to be incredibly difficult and stubborn to work with.

I'd prefer Marty to be able to work a little bit with 343, but I completely understand why MS wouldn't want him around.
Like... the Zebra?...
Yea I understand how Marty could be difficult to work with, but I can also understand why he would get pissed when he hears pretty much the exact sounding music he made years ago, now in the trailers and teasers for Infinite. And then 343 and Microsoft go ahead and label it as "legacy" music, with no mention of credit to Marty and Michael Salvatori who created that entire sound in the first place. So as much as Marty can be potentially annoying or stubborn to work with, I'll side with his genius any day over greedy corporate Microsoft.
The only thing I can think of is some one(s) high up in 343 or even microsoft left over from the bungie days remembers marty's apparent difficult to work with nature and has some left over sault / grudge. I have seen first hand how this sort of pettyness can last forever in some industries i doubt gaming is any different. Or it could simply be how marty was seemingly a thorn in bungie's side toward his end of time with them what with the whole lawsuit, its possible 343 has just elected to ban all potential collabs with him due to reputation reasons?

Its a shame how much lack of transparency there is. Every time this marty topic comes up i just sigh cause were just left in the dark and it honestly feels awful. Regardless of what the reason is, the fact that even he doesnt know and hes just a gigantic part of why halo is great is just slimy and rude imo.