Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Marty O’Donell x Kazuma Jinnouchi

OP megaman2003

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The music of Halo is in my opinion what separates it from other games. However, lately this has not been the case since instead of sounding like melodies from far away galaxies it sounds like Star Wars and every other action movie on Planet Earth. I’m not saying that 343 hasn’t made some amazing pieces, because they definitely have some great songs, but I’m saying that 343 and Kazuma Jinnouchi should start using more pianos, drums, and those cool sounding Mongolian chants (Take Halo 3 Soundtrack For Instance). I think Kazuma Jinnouchi is an amazingly talented dude and I know he can make this happen. Battles in halo campaign should be orchestral with intense drums and maybe even electric guitar NOT crazy violin that was ripped out of a Friday the 13th movie. Also I think Kazuma should try some more sad and melancholy melodies and songs with just piano and the chants ( Ashes- Halo: Reach). Marty O’Donnell always says that he is more than happy to come join, he just has not been asked yet, and I think 343 should consider this because Marty and Kazuma would definitely equal one of the best soundtracks the game has ever seen. Also for sound effects, and I’m going to make this short, there’s these sounds I cannot explain in the background of some of Halo 3. Go to Epitaph and put down the weapons and listen to the ambiance sounds, that is what the maps should sound like and that is what forerunner buildings and architecture should look like. Back to the music, I say listen to halo 3 soundtrack to base this soundtrack off of. 343 I know you can do this.
Note that Marty O’Donnell ALWAYS says that he would love to join the team, he just has not been asked.
Note that Marty O’Donnell ALWAYS says that he would love to join the team, he just has not been asked.
really? interesting maybe they ask him to since they seem to least by the artstyle possibly taking halo back to its roots
I didn't know that he said he'd come back, just hasn't been asked to. I saw a tweet of him saying "nice music" or something reacting to the Infinite trailer. God it'd be awesome if they were in talks right now. If that happened all we'd need is Staten to write and we have lots of potential.
You have a source?
tsassi wrote:
You have a source?
He might be referencing Marty's Reddit AMA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4cd2gy/hi_im_marty_odonnell_audio_director_and_composer/?utm_source=BD&utm_medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=AMA1I could maybe see some kind of collaborating happen at some point, but he has his own company (Highwire Games) right now, working on their own games
The music of Halo is in my opinion what separates it from other games. However, lately this has not been the case since instead of sounding like melodies from far away galaxies it sounds like Star Wars and every other action movie on Planet Earth. I’m not saying that 343 hasn’t made some amazing pieces, because they definitely have some great songs, but I’m saying that 343 and Kazuma Jinnouchi should start using more pianos, drums, and those cool sounding Mongolian chants (Take Halo 3 Soundtrack For Instance). I think Kazuma Jinnouchi is an amazingly talented dude and I know he can make this happen. Battles in halo campaign should be orchestral with intense drums and maybe even electric guitar NOT crazy violin that was ripped out of a Friday the 13th movie. Also I think Kazuma should try some more sad and melancholy melodies and songs with just piano and the chants ( Ashes- Halo: Reach). Marty O’Donnell always says that he is more than happy to come join, he just has not been asked yet, and I think 343 should consider this because Marty and Kazuma would definitely equal one of the best soundtracks the game has ever seen. Also for sound effects, and I’m going to make this short, there’s these sounds I cannot explain in the background of some of Halo 3. Go to Epitaph and put down the weapons and listen to the ambiance sounds, that is what the maps should sound like and that is what forerunner buildings and architecture should look like. Back to the music, I say listen to halo 3 soundtrack to base this soundtrack off of. 343 I know you can do this.
I agree wholeheartedly. The atmospheric and awe inspiring yet simple aspect of the trilogy's soundtracks is part of what cemented Halo as iconic.
Halo just isn't the same without Marty. I've tried listening to the Halo 5 ost and it just hurts my ears honestly. 4 and 5 both had horrible soundtracks.
Agree with all this man we need marty!
Oh we can only hope. I would be pretty amazing to have both Marty and Jinnouchi and calibrate on halo infinite. The soundtrack just hasn’t been the same since Marty left but Jinnouchi did pretty good with halo 5s and was definitely a step in the right direction. But if Marty cane back they could have the soundtrack be a perfect blend of old and new.
I know Marty is Halo, but I'd be happy for Tom Salta to return as well. He was able to capture Halo's essence in Spartan Assault, while I feel Jinnouchi's soundtrack in Halo 5 was far too bombastic and over-reliant on strings.
Halo just isn't the same without Marty. I've tried listening to the Halo 5 ost and it just hurts my ears honestly. 4 and 5 both had horrible soundtracks.
I couldn’t disagree more. Halo 4’s soundtrack is perfection and while Halo 5’s is a step down, it’s still good.

OP, I don’t think you’re giving Kazuma enough credit. There are plenty of unique songs in Halo 4 and 5 that don’t sound like action pieces whatsoever. Also there are a lot of monk chants, it’s just not always the same as the other monk chant.
Sk37ch shot down any rumours of Marty working on Halo in any way on Reddit. Sure, it could be PR, and Marty hasn't said anything, but i don't think its going to happen. Looks like this is just Halo 5 all over again.
I wouldn't call them horrible, but I agree that most tracks don't give off that same kind of halo feeling. If the soundtracks were for a other game, I think they'd be pretty good. Again, I do like them, but they just don't really give off the Halo vibe, I agree.

I couldn’t disagree more. Halo 4’s soundtrack is perfection and while Halo 5’s is a step down, it’s still good.

OP, I don’t think you’re giving Kazuma enough credit. There are plenty of unique songs in Halo 4 and 5 that don’t sound like action pieces whatsoever. Also there are a lot of monk chants, it’s just not always the same as the other monk chant.
And I couldn't disagree with you more lol I have all halo soundtracks and have listen to them A PILE. In my opinion, Halo 4 is one of the worst in terms of sounding like Halo. It's a well made soundtrack in general and has some pretty good tracks, but not Halo sounding at all really I think.

Halo 5 isn't much better but I do think overall, it did have a bit more of that Halo feeling, though that's not saying too much.

I just really hate how so many the themes from past Halo games were not used anymore, like the Halo theme or the master chief theme. Like WTF is that about?!?! Can you imagine if Star Wars changed Darth Vader's theme or the emperor or something... There would be chaos! I absolutely can't stand the new Master Chief theme. Its not right... Everytime I hear it, I just kind of cringe and ask myself why!!! ....Why aren't they using the Chief's real theme... It's sad. I know they could use the theme too because they had Q's of it, little bits every now and then. To me, it's kind of another example of 343I changing stuff for the sake of change.

As I stated, I have listened to all the soundtracks a ton. I'm talking into the hundreds each one, EASILY! LoL And my biggest thing is there are no tracks from Halo 4 or 5 that really stick out to me. What I mean is, I don't catch myself humming any of the tracks in my head or anything. Again, I don't hate the soundtracks at all and I do really like some tracks on there a lot too, but they just don't have that Halo feeling for the most part or one that is super catchy and sticks with you.

I've said this before, if Microsoft want to generate a lot of hype and such for the next Halo game, they would announce that Marty is coming back to do the soundtrack. That with more of the orginal art style would be killer!

And I thought there couldn't be a wrong opinion...
The soundtrack is fine by it's own. It's totally fine music... for anything else than Halo. Marty established a very finely crafted underlying atmosphere in the music that made Halo fell like Halo. 343 suddenly changing everything established in the previous games, especially the music, is beyond befuddling. There was no reason to change the artstyle other than to change for change's sake. 4's soundtrack is way too bombastic, meaty and sort of unorganized, whereas Marty's music has different distinctive, simple themes with their own motive, giving life to a universe. The music served that purpose, among other things. It seemed like 4's (and 5's I guess, I haven't really "analyzed" the music or even played Halo 5 yet) music were only there because there had to be music to fill the checkbox.

Listen to the difference to the generic "John Williamsy" music to the classic Halo theme that cuts in in this scene:
https://youtu.be/lTmgxQiPTF0?t=37s
I mean, I already created a Halo Infinite Music thread, but sure. Whatever.
Here’s a video explaining why 343 be reaching out to Marty and the possibility of him returning to collab with Jinnochi is possible. It’s an old video, but I assume some haven’t sent it yet. I advise that you watch it, because it seems more likely than ever. And yes, as crazy as it sounds, Marty hasn’t been asked yet.
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
I wouldn't call them horrible, but I agree that most tracks don't give off that same kind of halo feeling. If the soundtracks were for a other game, I think they'd be pretty good. Again, I do like them, but they just don't really give off the Halo vibe, I agree.

And I couldn't disagree with you more lol I have all halo soundtracks and have listen to them A PILE. In my opinion, Halo 4 is one of the worst in terms of sounding like Halo. It's a well made soundtrack in general and has some pretty good tracks, but not Halo sounding at all really I think.

Halo 5 isn't much better but I do think overall, it did have a bit more of that Halo feeling, though that's not saying too much.

I just really hate how so many the themes from past Halo games were not used anymore, like the Halo theme or the master chief theme. Like WTF is that about?!?! Can you imagine if Star Wars changed Darth Vader's theme or the emperor or something... There would be chaos! I absolutely can't stand the new Master Chief theme. Its not right... Everytime I hear it, I just kind of cringe and ask myself why!!! ....Why aren't they using the Chief's real theme... It's sad. I know they could use the theme too because they had Q's of it, little bits every now and then. To me, it's kind of another example of 343I changing stuff for the sake of change.

As I stated, I have listened to all the soundtracks a ton. I'm talking into the hundreds each one, EASILY! LoL And my biggest thing is there are no tracks from Halo 4 or 5 that really stick out to me. What I mean is, I don't catch myself humming any of the tracks in my head or anything. Again, I don't hate the soundtracks at all and I do really like some tracks on there a lot too, but they just don't have that Halo feeling for the most part or one that is super catchy and sticks with you.

I've said this before, if Microsoft want to generate a lot of hype and such for the next Halo game, they would announce that Marty is coming back to do the soundtrack. That with more of the orginal art style would be killer!
Funny, I posted this same thing on twitter yesterday. I’ll just copy and paste the tweet then add on to it.
I hold the opinion that Halo music can be any kind of music as long as we associate it with Halo. For instance, if ODST wasn’t made, I doubt anyone would consider its jazz pieces to be Halo music. Yet, I see many people calling it Halo music but 4/5’s music not Halo music. I think this has to do with Halo 4’s radical change in art style, storytelling, world building, multiplayer, and of course, the change of the devs themselves. You associate all those things with Halo so when those things are changed and the music doesn’t use the same tracks or some instruments, it seems completely foreign.

343 heard that you wanted the warthog theme back so they made the Trials in Halo 5, but if they put it in Halo 4, there would only be like one spot to put it in that actually works well. The music should be a reflection of the story. Halo’s classic uplifting, badass, and energetic soundtracks wouldn’t work with the more sad and human story Halo 4 was trying to tell.

Also, how TF do you not like 117?! REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Ok let’s try this again. The warthog theme was never Chief’s theme, unlike Darth Vader’s Imperial March. When Darth Vader enters and exists the scene, the Imperial March plays, thus connecting the song to Vader. With the warthog theme, we hear it used when he’s running for his life in warthog, crossing a bridge with a tank, jumping on a scarab, and other badass moments. Just because Chief is there doesn’t make it his theme. If that were the case, the entire soundtrack would technically be Chief's theme. The warthog theme plays in a moment of excitement and adrenaline pumping action where you’re a huge badass and that’s what it represents. The only time it could be played in Halo 4 was when you’re in the Broadswor, but they opted to go with their original piece, 117, that conveys an image of a soldier doing his duty to protect humanity, which is one of the ways they characterize Master Chief in this: a soldier who was bred as a killing machine and has no other purpose other than to serve and protect humanity, whatever the cost.

Last thing, perhaps the soundtracks don’t stick out to you because you aren’t nostalgic for them and you don’t like the games they are in. I don’t like Reach’s soundtrack very much, but that’s because I’m not nostalgic and really am not a fan of Reach.

Edit: EpicAwe this could serve as a response to you too. I don’t know how you think Halo 4’s soundtrack is too bombastic.
Funny, I posted this same thing on twitter yesterday. I’ll just copy and paste the tweet then add on to it.
I hold the opinion that Halo music can be any kind of music as long as we associate it with Halo. For instance, if ODST wasn’t made, I doubt anyone would consider its jazz pieces to be Halo music. Yet, I see many people calling it Halo music but 4/5’s music not Halo music. I think this has to do with Halo 4’s radical change in art style, storytelling, world building, multiplayer, and of course, the change of the devs themselves. You associate all those things with Halo so when those things are changed and the music doesn’t use the same tracks or some instruments, it seems completely foreign.

343 heard that you wanted the warthog theme back so they made the Trials in Halo 5, but if they put it in Halo 4, there would only be like one spot to put it in that actually works well. The music should be a reflection of the story. Halo’s classic uplifting, badass, and energetic soundtracks wouldn’t work with the more sad and human story Halo 4 was trying to tell.

Also, how TF do you not like 117?! REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Ok let’s try this again. The warthog theme was never Chief’s theme, unlike Darth Vader’s Imperial March. When Darth Vader enters and exists the scene, the Imperial March plays, thus connecting the song to Vader. With the warthog theme, we hear it used when he’s running for his life in warthog, crossing a bridge with a tank, jumping on a scarab, and other badass moments. Just because Chief is there doesn’t make it his theme. If that were the case, the entire soundtrack would technically be Chief's theme. The warthog theme plays in a moment of excitement and adrenaline pumping action where you’re a huge badass and that’s what it represents. The only time it could be played in Halo 4 was when you’re in the Broadswor, but they opted to go with their original piece, 117, that conveys an image of a soldier doing his duty to protect humanity, which is one of the ways they characterize Master Chief in this: a soldier who was bred as a killing machine and has no other purpose other than to serve and protect humanity, whatever the cost.

Last thing, perhaps the soundtracks don’t stick out to you because you aren’t nostalgic for them and you don’t like the games they are in. I don’t like Reach’s soundtrack very much, but that’s because I’m not nostalgic and really am not a fan of Reach.

Edit: EpicAwe this could serve as a response to you too. I don’t know how you think Halo 4’s soundtrack is too bombastic.
I don't think i said things quite right either lol but I'll explain lol.

I think your wrong about the chief theme, well kind of. The Chiefs theme plays when he about to go into a big time situation, like you said and I agree with that. That makes it his theme. It only plays when he's about to do something like that. Hence why it should of been in 4 and 5 as well whenever he did. Even if it was just once in the game, it should be there. Instead 343I decided to do new music. It wasn't terrible, but in my opinion and many others, it doesn't fit the chief. The 117 song doesn't hold a candle too the theme that always played before when he was going into some kind of epic battle or situation (I can't think of the name of the track but you know what I mean) We had 3 games where that is what was played when big stuff was going to happen and the chief was involved.... then 343I changed it. Bad move I feel. Another example of change for the sake of change in my opinion but anyways....

So he does have a "theme" per say but it revolves around when he about to "kick butt" not when he enters a room or something like Vader.

Vadar on the other hand, theme plays when he enters or is being introduced or something. There are lots of times that vadar is in the movies doing whatever, and his theme isn't being played. So I don't agree with your example of saying the chief theme would be played threw out the entire game if they used it. It should only be played when he's about to go into a big time situation, just as Vader's theme is only played in his situations. This kind of stuff happens with lots of charaters, in movies, tv shows etc. This should be no different with the chief. So I think he does have a theme and I'm pretty sure a lot of people out there would agree with me.

Nostalgic for the old games might be a reason for some people why tracks from Halo 4/5 don't stick out, but for me I know it's not. I don't like Halo Reach really, but I really liked the soundtrack. I thought it fit perfectly. I thought the soundtracked in that game was one of the best parts of that game. Even ODST, which I didn't mind, but i didn't think it was anything crazy amazing... but some of my favorite Halo tracks are from ODST.

I don't necessarily think all Halo games have to have a certain type of sound, like some people do... BUT I definitely think Halo games that feature the master chief should. Is the music from Halo 1-3 similar to Halo Reach?? Maybe somewhat, maybe....but overall I think it's very different personally.

I think a major reason why a lot of people don't really like Halo 4/5 soundtrack is not because the music is poorly done or anything like this, it's because people feel it doesn't "fit" Halo...but I think a more appropriate thing to say would be, I think a lot of people think the music in those games doesn't fit the Master Chief Halo games. Most people have played 3 games that featured the master chief with a certain style and type of music. It only makes sense that any game featuring The Master Chief should also be in that style and type of music ana halo 4/5 should. I know that's what I meant and I should of explained that better, sorry about that.

I know it all comes down to personal opinion, but as I said i don't hate halo 4/5 soundtracks, but nothing for me really sticks out and/or makes me sing/hum away with it. I also don't hear x track and get that feeling of "oh this track! I love this track... It's that part when I did that awesome thing with the chief" and i can picture it in my mind 100% you know... that to me is what Halo 4/5 music lacks. That and as I said earlier I don't like it how they already had all these established themes, tunes, musical cues Etc. from past Master Chief Halo games that weren't used in 4 & 5. I guarantee you if they would have done that with Halo 4 and 5 soundtracks, a lot more people would have liked it. We know this too, just by how many people complained about the fact that the Halo title screen theme song wasn't in 4. It's back in 5 sorta (for 30 secs) but not really, but it's better than nothing. A lot of people have just played The Master Chief Halo games and they expect certain songs,themes and style to be in them, which i agree..... They don't care about other Halo games. Halo Reach or ODST music, people didn't complain really about this track or this theme not being in because they didn't involve the chief, so people's expectations were immediately different. That's my take on it all anyways, sorry for the long post.
Infinite should definitely feature the return of some classic tunes. That would absolutely be the right direction for the series right now.

That said...

Halo 4 and 5 had some truly awe inspiring tracks of their own, the likes of which would never have reached our ears if 343i would have stuck to a "it ain't broke so we won't fix it" mentality.

Revival
Green and Blue
Haven
Arrival
The Trials
Crypt
Blue Team

It would be a shame to miss out on masterpieces like these just because we want to fill our ears with nostalgia. So let's not restrict the creative geniuses at work here. Yes, we do want to listen to a very clearly "Halo" OST now more than ever, but damn were these new ones some good -Yoink-. Let's get a bit of both, shall we?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3