Master Chief Armour Design Is Awful

OP shaydoken

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I don't mean to be rude to the people at 343i that put hours and time in designing the armor.

I seen the Halo Infinite announcement back in E3 2018 and from that moment I knew something didn't feel correct with the armor design. I exchanged few tweets back then with Frank O'Connor/Jeff Easterling. I think Jeff responded to my tweet by saying how can you go off with the announcement trailer, we have more to show in the future....

So fast forward to E3 2019. After watching the trailer I have to say, the armor design is too green, looks plastic and cartoony. Some sort of armor protection you wear when taking part in competitive paintball event. Just feels cheap and doesn't feel unique.

If you look at HALO 4 armor design, that is far better (military vibe). Seeing Chief in that armour design you can take him seriously.

With this HALO INFINITE armour, Chief just feels like a bodyguard for Barbie doll LOL

Seriously 343i please go back to HALO 4 armour design/style and improve on that. This current design has got to go away.

However I am excited for the game!

What do you think?
that looks cartoony but the spartan 4's don't?
I think it looks alright. A couple shades darker in color would look better in my opinion.
shaydoken wrote:
Seriously 343i please go back to HALO 4 armour design/style and improve on that. This current design has got to go away.

Some sort of armor protection you wear when taking part in competitive paintball event.
Halo 4s armour was a total downgrade in my opinion. That looked like a swimsuit with random metal chunks taped on while still looking cartoony. It also looked a lot more generic and blended right into the sea of power armours in other media.

There are some minor things that could be improved like you say, for example the colour and proportions but I think this is how chief should look.

I don't know who's supplying your paintball gear but damn must be expensive lol.
I think Chief looks great. Probably the best he's ever looked if you ask me.
You’re definitely in the minority in this case. I’m not going to waste my time trying to convince you why Infinite’s armor is better (it’s mostly a matter of opinion anyway), but I’m just letting you know that even though they may tinker with the design a little bit, it’s highly unlikely (I mean they’d really want to make a lot of fans angry) that 4/5 Chief is coming back.

If you ask me, I think Halo 4/5 Chief looks more like a Transformer. Or should I say Transformer “for Barbie Doll LOL” ?
They've already shown off his new armor design twice. Can you imagine how upset fans would be if they just suddenly changed it back, especially after asking for a classic armor design for 7 years? It would be a terrible decision. Anyways, his new armor looks great. The green could be little darker, but otherwise it's what we asked for and I couldn't be happier.
Alta Fuzz wrote:
I think Chief looks great. Probably the best he's ever looked if you ask me.
I agree. I don't mind the color, but if it went darker that's cool too. Halo 4/5 were the worst yet. My favorite is Red Team in Halo Wars.
halo 4 and halo 5 were the worst halo games ever made. this is the pure reason why they are going back to old designs, old music and (hopefully) old gameplay and of course it won't be exactly the same but they are finally addressing the problems the fans had with the new games and people aren't happy?

im sorry, but if you really dont like the new design or this new direction, you are most likely not a og halo fan. And im not saying that all og fans like this design, people have different opinions and i acknowledge this one, but honestly, this new design is the closest, original and unique style that will no doubt, please the og fans and is absolutely the right direction.

The green will most likely change, but the number seems perfect. maybe a little bit faded and darker but it makes chief stand out and recognisable. red team from halo wars 2 has their numbers on their chest and no one complained? the halo community really baffles me sometimes
The armor looks great and I'm happy the old art style is returning.
This guy clearly hasn't played a Halo game older than Halo 4, maybe Reach at a push.

The community has given its consensus - the Halo 4/5 artstyle (including Spartan armour, weapons, the covenant and forerunner technology) is much less popular than the Halo 2/3 one, so it only makes sense for 343 to take influence from the earlier games.
I am a big fan of the Halo 4 Chief armor and the overall 343 art style, but I have to say that 343 is listening to the fans who wants to feel nostalgia for Halo again. They complained too much so 343 did it.
While I preferred a mix between the two designs, it is time to accept it, maybe if they tone down the color a bit like the Halo 2 anniversary armor, would be more believable.
Can't please everyone. Especially not in this community.
I guess can't please everyone. Love Halo 1-3 armour, even Reach but Halo 4's armour was pretty bad and thought it was the worst, ended up looking like plastic. H5's armour looked a bit better while for me Infinite looked like 343i's best work, is just as good as Halo Wars 2 spartan armour. I've had to strongly disagree with OP....I don't see how it looks like plastic. OP's complaints about the armour to me just doesn't make any sense.
cArTooNy CaRToOnY cArToOnY CaRtoo0ny
I like it. I like the bright green. Reminds me of the classic Halos.

One thing I had zero issue with was the visuals. It all looked and sounded right.

If 343i can get the weapon sounds right, epecially the BR, shotgun, AR and sniper - which are very visceral sounding guns in this franchise, then they've nailed the sound design in my book.

Music sounded cool and the overall aesthetic looks like that classic military look the original Halos had, with a vibrant alien architecture that really makes it look alien.
This guy clearly hasn't played a Halo game older than Halo 4, maybe Reach at a push.

There's nothing wrong with that. You've got to start somewhere, and your first Halo experience will leave a lasting impact on the ones to follow.

So for those who did start with 343's art style and liked it, they might feel the same way you do about but about Bungie's art style... It's the same argument coming from two different periods. "I don't like the 'New' armour"
im sorry, but if you really dont like the new design or this new direction, you are most likely not a og halo fan.
This Has to stop. I'm getting so sick and tired of seeing this argument whenever someone dislikes something from "Classic" or "OG" Halo. Your only doing this to try and Nullify an opinion you don't like. You have no Idea how long this person has been Playing Halo. And no their Service Record proves nothing multiple accounts have and will continue to be a thing. I've been Playing halo since 2002. I Never liked the Mark 6. The Chest piece doesn't even look like armor, It looks like someone spray painted their pec muscles. The Groin/Glute armor looks like a big green diaper. I always saw it as a Down Grade from The Mark 5. I like Chief's Gen 2 armor way more than his Mark 6(heresy, I know). I do like the New armor, its by no means my Favorite but its a nice combination of Chief's other armors. I am Much Happier with this armor than i would have been if he just got his MARK 6 back, something I've seen quite a few people ask for.
shaydoken wrote:
I don't mean to be rude to the people at 343i that put hours and time in designing the armor.

I seen the Halo Infinite announcement back in E3 2018 and from that moment I knew something didn't feel correct with the armor design. I exchanged few tweets back then with Frank O'Connor/Jeff Easterling. I think Jeff responded to my tweet by saying how can you go off with the announcement trailer, we have more to show in the future....

So fast forward to E3 2019. After watching the trailer I have to say, the armor design is too green, looks plastic and cartoony. Some sort of armor protection you wear when taking part in competitive paintball event. Just feels cheap and doesn't feel unique.

If you look at HALO 4 armor design, that is far better (military vibe). Seeing Chief in that armour design you can take him seriously.

With this HALO INFINITE armour, Chief just feels like a bodyguard for Barbie doll LOL

However I am excited for the game!

What do you think?
I like to study military design. And I can tell you, the new design is far more realistic. The H4/5 design has too many grapple points for an opponent to grab onto during hand-to-hand combat. Its also more likely to snag and get caught on foliage with all the bits and stuff hanging off of it. All the tiny details are also unrealistic. The bodysuit is too thin to provide any realistic protection. Also, the smooth shape and roundness of it implies aerodynamic use; why do you need that for a 8 foot tall super-soldier? The roundness of the H4/5 design would also be harder to manufacture. Metal armor plating requires proper heat treating for it to obtain the hardness it's known for. The geometrical design of the new armor would not only be far easier to manufacture and ensure quality, but also would be less prone to having things snag on it without all the stuff sticking off of it. The bodysuit is ungodly thick, infact it might hinder mobility, but it's still far more protective. I will agree with you though, it does look a bit cartoony. I think it's an issue with the texture. If they made it a darker green and applied a metallic layer to the texture it would look better. Also, his arms are out of proportion. They need to be a little bit longer. Now, i will say, mobility wise and protection wise, the H4/5 suit would be better. Rounded plates are more likely to deflect/take the impact of projectiles. The separated kneepads are good. The modularity is also good. All in all, its a good, well thought out design, but in real life it would be sooooo expensive that no military would adopt it. Chunky, blocky powered armor is the more realistic route of powered armored exoskeletons.
I think that it looks great, but we are all free to have an opinion.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5