Master Chief Armour Design Is Awful

OP shaydoken

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
The 343 art style was the opposite of distinct. It's generic sci fi with far too much visual noise.
I literally just made a forum post talking about this very subject lol, it confuses me!

I have seen a large handful of people who feel the way you do, OP, and I want to respect that some people really hate the "classic" look of chief. I was initially excited for the new armor design & aesthetic of Halo 4 back in 2012, but it quickly got old & I thought it looked unrealistic, unrecognizable, and difficult to understand (in the sense that I could not draw a single part of the armor in all of its nauseating detail). I also think the opposite, the Halo 4 armor looks significantly less realistic from a military perspective as well.

The bright green is a callback to how MJOLNIR armor is supposed to look straight out of manufacturing. Look no further than how a fresh suit of MJOLNIR should look than Halo 1s brand new emerald green Mark V & Halo 2s brand new suit of Mark VI.

Probably too many comments to get noticed, but what aspects of the Halo 4 nano-modded Mark VI armor strike you as better/more militaristically realistic specifically?
I can get behind commending the Halo 4-5 look for Master Chief; for all my problems with the Era of Halo it represents, I've never disliked the look of Chief's armor in these games. I appreciate the more grounded look and the tankier build and aesthetic of it.

However, and this is a bit of a shame, I and a lot of other players will forever associate the armor in the last few games with, obviously enough, the last few games. It's not the fault of the armor design that these games have been less than stellar, but it's going to be associated with them anyways

On the other hand, the esign we've seen in what's been shown of Infinite, especially in last year's reveal but also to a lesser extent in this year's "Discover Hope" trailer, hearkens back to a look that a huge plurality of Halo players consider to be the best and brightest days the franchise has ever had.

I don't think either of the major Chief armor designs is bad (As time goes on, at least for me personally, both the MkVI of Halo 2-3 and the strangely upgraded version in 4-5 both look a fair amount better than the MkV, espexjay as seen in CEA). One of them is nostalgically associated with the best Halo has to offer, though, and the other one is tied at the hip to the steady decline in popularity and critical acclaim the franchise has been going down for nearly a decade at this point.

All of which is to say that if I were 343, I'd be trying to appeal to nostalgia and the classic Halo sensibilities as much as possible.

Edit: apologies for the myriad typos- I'm not the best at typing on a phone screen
shaydoken wrote:
I don't mean to be rude to the people at 343i that put hours and time in designing the armor.

So fast forward to E3 2019. After watching the trailer I have to say, the armor design is too green, looks plastic and cartoony. Some sort of armor protection you wear when taking part in competitive paintball event. Just feels cheap and doesn't feel unique.

If you look at HALO 4 armor design, that is far better (military vibe). Seeing Chief in that armour design you can take him seriously.

With this HALO INFINITE armour, Chief just feels like a bodyguard for Barbie doll LOLSeriously 343i please go back to HALO 4 armour design/style and improve on that. This current design has got to go away.

However I am excited for the game!

What do you think?
The Plastic thing is the exact comment people have been using for halo 5 multiplayer spartans, that is plastic right there. All color and it's hard to color when you barely notice the black undersuit.

If Chief is a bodyguard for barbie now, then he was in literally every game besides 4 and 5. This armor design is closer to the Halo 3 style, which many hold as their favorite.

343 is trying to make everyone happy here.
However, and this is a bit of a shame, I and a lot of other players will forever associate the armor in the last few games with, obviously enough, the last few games. It's not the fault of the armor design that these games have been less than stellar, but it's going to be associated with them anyways
I don't think there's any shame in that. It's pretty natural to associate art with the context it appears in, and have that concept influence your perception. It's not always fun—there's some music in Halo 4 I should appreciate a bit more, but can't because it brings up bad memories—but on the flipside, you can think of all the stuff that's just so much better because you have a bunch of positive memories associated to it.
shaydoken wrote:
I don't mean to be rude to the people at 343i that put hours and time in designing the armor.

I seen the Halo Infinite announcement back in E3 2018 and from that moment I knew something didn't feel correct with the armor design. I exchanged few tweets back then with Frank O'Connor/Jeff Easterling. I think Jeff responded to my tweet by saying how can you go off with the announcement trailer, we have more to show in the future....

So fast forward to E3 2019. After watching the trailer I have to say, the armor design is too green, looks plastic and cartoony. Some sort of armor protection you wear when taking part in competitive paintball event. Just feels cheap and doesn't feel unique.

If you look at HALO 4 armor design, that is far better (military vibe). Seeing Chief in that armour design you can take him seriously.

With this HALO INFINITE armour, Chief just feels like a bodyguard for Barbie doll LOL

Seriously 343i please go back to HALO 4 armour design/style and improve on that. This current design has got to go away.

What do you think?
What the hell kind of halo fan are you?
shaydoken wrote:

With this HALO INFINITE armour, Chief just feels like a bodyguard for Barbie doll LOLSeriously 343i please go back to HALO 4 armour design/style and improve on that. This current design has got to go away.

What do you think?
The Plastic thing is the exact comment people have been using for halo 5 multiplayer spartans, that is plastic right there. All color and it's hard to color when you barely notice the black undersuit.

If Chief is a bodyguard for barbie now, then he was in literally every game besides 4 and 5. This armor design is closer to the Halo 3 style, which many hold as their favorite.

343 is trying to make everyone happy here.
Now you have a brain
The 343 art style was the opposite of distinct. It's generic sci fi with far too much visual noise.
Yes but the classic is extremely well nostalgic
Please make your post go away.
Yes but the classic is extremely well nostalgic
It's also beautifully well made, distinct and just superior.
I think it looks alright. A couple shades darker in color would look better in my opinion.
Yes better shading would do it well but over all It’s the best 343 has produced. Most certainly better than Halo 4
This armor design is probably my favorite thus far.
Long time Halo fans like me wanted Halo to get back to its roots on everything, and the artstyle is very important.

I have to disagree to this thread, I love the new armor.
Chief design is mostly fine. There are only a few small caviats:

scaling:
- arms should be longer
- shoulder joint could be farer from the torso
- crotch could be existant ( H1 crotchlessness looks weird in modern graphics)
- head could be a littlke bigger
- waist could be a little slimmer
- slightly smaller hand back plate and slightly slimmer wrist

color:
- slightly less blueish green
- slightly darker and slightly more faded green
- slightly more metalic texture ( halo 4 campaign/ halo reach)
- visor could have hexagonal pattern under the plain gold

design (less important) :
- slightly more distance between the plates and tthe undersuit ( more halo 4/5 and reach inspired)
- slightly more distance between the plates at major joints (shoulder, hip, elbow, knee)
- undersuit could be more gen 2 inspired on the stomach,back and shoulder patterns ( still black of course)

This would make chief look faster, stronger and slightly more advanced, without sacrificing the new oldschool look ( similar to how the doomslayer design is faithful to the original doom)
I prefer it as it is giving me nostalgia but even as someone says CE chief is darker and looks mettalic where this looks like plastic. The design and texture is great but they should have done H2A armour or E3 2018 colour plus 2019 armour.
I think it looks alright. A couple shades darker in color would look better in my opinion.
I'm sure the shade will change in the final product, we have to wait and see.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4