Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Master Chief Needs to Go Back to Talking Less

OP Viperspider

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
shawnk9512 wrote:
shawnk9512 wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:
It was hardly non-stop speaking, and it was a great feeling for folks coming from the books where Halo 4/5 John felt more like his book incarnations.

"Disconnects from the player" only if one's expecting an Empty Shell to "input themselves into" rather than a unique character with his own established personality and story. If people want an Empty Shell again 343 can just bring back Fireteam Crimson.

Undoing all that wouldn't be the 'spiritiual bringing back to the roots' you're looking for, but just throwing away progress and spitting on the EU for the sake of going back to Bungie's ill-conceived "The Master Chief IS the player! Except he's not but we're just going to ignore all that because the EU means nothing to us." days. We were NEVER John, and we won't ever BE him.
Idk, I agree with both you and the OP as well.

So in the original trilogy, yes Chief did not talk very often, but when he did it was short sweet and to the point. Chief was basically raised as a soldier, so the way he communicated in the original trilogy was kind of like plain talk radio communications. Just say what you have to say and get off the radio ya know?

Now I agree with you that it’s nice to have him talk a little bit more like in Halo 4 and 5, but the way he was talking I didn’t really like too much. Halo 4 was okay, but Halo 5 was painfully bad, and I think the main reason is because he was talking while we’re playing as him. It didn’t really feel right, and I think if 343 wants him to talk more, then keep it to the cut scenes.
This.

You can keep the characterisation from the books without having him talking during gameplay. He talked during cutscenes in Halo 1-3 too.
I think a great example of how Chief should talk is the cutscene in Halo 3 before “crows nest” begins. He actually talks quite a bit, but it’s short little practical responses. When Hood asks him what his status is, Chief doesn’t go “Sir, ready to take the fight to the covenant” or “Sir I’m a little banged up but I should be good to go”. He simply states “Green, Sir”. Chief isn’t about small talk, not even in the slightest bit. He just fell from a ship entering earths atmosphere and hit the ground so hard he created a freaking crater.. and lived.. and his status is just simply “green” because he is the bad -Yoink- that we all know and love.
Couldn't agree more!
Same. Another great example is when he talks during the Cutscene in Halo 2 Between Cairo Station and Outskirts. Simple. Talked quite a bit. But still short and quick responses. He does not need to talk "less" in terms of total speaking time. But talk in shorter sentences and more direct to the point talk.
Yes, that is a great example. Some people in here are acting like I am asking for chief to be mute when that is not the case. I just want his voice to carry the same weight as it used to and for him to go back talking like the super soldier he is.
I like Chief being John rather than us, the player, but being John doesn't mean he has to say a lot, and when he does, it doesn't have to be all the time.

That being said, I defend Chief talking a lot in Halo 4 because Cortana was dying. He was trying to keep her focused, which was essentially trying to keep her alive. However, we should have been introduced to a more talkative Chief over a period of time, rather than him immediately responding to the first thing Cortana says to him. He shouldn't have said much until after he learnt that Cortana was dying, and even then, only when it became a more realistic possibility that she would die. I think he was handled well in 5. He talks when he should, and he's short-spoken when he needs to be. Being with Blue Team, it would be stranger if he was near-mute.

For Halo: Infinite...I love how short-spoken he was with the pilot. Chief doesn't have a deep connectionwith him, and there's a mission to do. It felt perfectly within character. But when he eventually talks with Cortana again, I want him to say more than five words. How much he says should be situational. I definitely think there's a middle-ground.
I’m constantly surprised how people miss what you say here. For the start of Halo 4, it’s just Chief and Cortana. Having Cortana just ramble off with no feedback from Chief would be really awkward, especially when she had her rampant episodes. In the past there was usually someone else talking like Keyes or Johnson or whoever, so leaving things up to Cortana was fine.

Overall, I think people blow way out of proportion how talkative Chief was in 4. Certainly he talked more than Halo 2 (18 lines in total I believe), but it isn’t like he was spouting Shakespeare.
This is how the entirety of Halo 1 went and it wasn't awkward.
I agree. A ton of the communications in the game was between Cortana and marines/echo 419/sarge/ captain Keyes. Lots of story progress happening through dialogue, and chief didn't have to interject until the weight of his voice was needed
I prefer hearing more Chief like in 4 and 5. As another user said, while he speaks more often in more recent games, he’s not quoting Shakespeare. He’s still delivering short lines. In Halo 4, in that last convo with Lasky, he barely talked and Lasky even commented on that. The spirit of his way of speaking is left intact. However, the nature of the conflicts in H4 and H5 are much more personal to him, so it makes sense that he’d have more to say. For me, I want Chief to be a character, not just a vessel for the player. I hope to hear him deliver lines during campaign missions, not just cutscenes.
I'd like a mix. That opening cutscene was really good in terms of his dialogue.
Chimera30 wrote:
I prefer hearing more Chief like in 4 and 5. As another user said, while he speaks more often in more recent games, he’s not quoting Shakespeare. He’s still delivering short lines. In Halo 4, in that last convo with Lasky, he barely talked and Lasky even commented on that. The spirit of his way of speaking is left intact. However, the nature of the conflicts in H4 and H5 are much more personal to him, so it makes sense that he’d have more to say. For me, I want Chief to be a character, not just a vessel for the player. I hope to hear him deliver lines during campaign missions, not just cutscenes.
That is what I want too but I want 343i to do it just right.
I agree that sometimes less is more but sometimes things can't always be like that, you have to add improvements to make it better.
I like Chief being John rather than us, the player, but being John doesn't mean he has to say a lot, and when he does, it doesn't have to be all the time.

That being said, I defend Chief talking a lot in Halo 4 because Cortana was dying. He was trying to keep her focused, which was essentially trying to keep her alive. However, we should have been introduced to a more talkative Chief over a period of time, rather than him immediately responding to the first thing Cortana says to him. He shouldn't have said much until after he learnt that Cortana was dying, and even then, only when it became a more realistic possibility that she would die. I think he was handled well in 5. He talks when he should, and he's short-spoken when he needs to be. Being with Blue Team, it would be stranger if he was near-mute.

For Halo: Infinite...I love how short-spoken he was with the pilot. Chief doesn't have a deep connectionwith him, and there's a mission to do. It felt perfectly within character. But when he eventually talks with Cortana again, I want him to say more than five words. How much he says should be situational. I definitely think there's a middle-ground.
I’m constantly surprised how people miss what you say here. For the start of Halo 4, it’s just Chief and Cortana. Having Cortana just ramble off with no feedback from Chief would be really awkward, especially when she had her rampant episodes. In the past there was usually someone else talking like Keyes or Johnson or whoever, so leaving things up to Cortana was fine.

Overall, I think people blow way out of proportion how talkative Chief was in 4. Certainly he talked more than Halo 2 (18 lines in total I believe), but it isn’t like he was spouting Shakespeare.
This is how the entirety of Halo 1 went and it wasn't awkward.
Except it wasn't. Case and point, The control room.When Chief and Cortana were first in the control room, Chief had a full conversation with Cortana.

When 343 Guilty Spark and Chief arrived back in the control room, and the ensuing arguement between 343 and Cortana started, Chief was trying to explain the situation to Cortana.

He didn't just say a couple of short, badass one-liners. Cortana was the voice for the majority of Halo: CE, so Chief didn't need to talk. But Chief spoke exactly when he needed to, which is my entire point. It would have been ridiculously awkward if all he had said during the arguement was shouting "Enough!", or didn't try to keep Cortana FOCUSED on the job at hand when they had first arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cortana can't be the voice anymore. Chief needs to use his own voice. Halo: CE is a perfect example of Chief being mostly short-spoken, but speaking for longer durations when he needs to. He's just short-spoken more often now because Cortana isn't there.
You're missing the context. We're talking about gameplay here, not cutscenes.
I didn't see anyone mention that this discussion was exclusively about in-game. It wasn't my intention to avoid a topic. I can't actually recall Chief saying anything during gameplay in Halo: CE - 3, and yet you stated in your opening post that whenever Chief spoke, you listened (or to that effect). That implies cutscenes.

Cortana spoke during gameplay in Halo 1 and 2, but Cortana is no longer there. In Halo 3, Miranda Keyes or Johnson spoke on our behalf, as Cortana wasn't present for most of the game. Halo 4, Cortana was literally dying. It would be ridiculous for Chief to be quiet. In Halo 5, Chief was with people that were essentially his family. It would be weird to not talk. The context of Halo 4 and 5 matters.
We brought up the opinion chief talking in cutscenes is better earlier but it’s alright if you missed that. And yes the context of those games do matter for sure! I just think the application of him talking more to Cortana and Blue team missed the mark for me.

Cortana was in a bad state when Chief found her at the end of Halo 3 but he still didn’t say much. He didn’t need to because to me I felt the emotion of him finally getting her back safe and sound, with the help of Cortana’s diologue as well. Then enter Halo 4, where he’s really chatty from the beginning, even when it has nothing to do with addressing Cortana’s well being. If he was ONLY a little chatty when comforting her it would have been better. But I said I am earlier post that Halo 4 didn’t bother me as much as Halo 5.

In Halo 5, every time you’re with blue team and we encounter something interesting that needs to be discussed between the team, I feel it should have been in cut scenes. Maybe everyone comments on what they think is going on and Chief gets a line or 2 in, then we move on. If Blue team needed to tell Chief something during gameplay he didn’t have to respond, just like with Cortana in Halo 1 and 2.

Thats just me though!

So so far I like what we’ve seen from the E3 trailer and how he talks to the pilot. It just feels more legit.
Cortana certainly wasn’t in the best state in Halo 3 though arguably her state in Halo 4 was worse and directly affecting her performance and therefore her emotional well-being.

Again, calling him chatty implies he never stays quiet or he’s uttering things every second. I mean, compared to his 18 lines (including “Boo!”) in Halo 2, he’s talking more, but I don’t think it really fits as a description.
shawnk9512 wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:
It was hardly non-stop speaking, and it was a great feeling for folks coming from the books where Halo 4/5 John felt more like his book incarnations.

"Disconnects from the player" only if one's expecting an Empty Shell to "input themselves into" rather than a unique character with his own established personality and story. If people want an Empty Shell again 343 can just bring back Fireteam Crimson.

Undoing all that wouldn't be the 'spiritiual bringing back to the roots' you're looking for, but just throwing away progress and spitting on the EU for the sake of going back to Bungie's ill-conceived "The Master Chief IS the player! Except he's not but we're just going to ignore all that because the EU means nothing to us." days. We were NEVER John, and we won't ever BE him.
Idk, I agree with both you and the OP as well.

So in the original trilogy, yes Chief did not talk very often, but when he did it was short sweet and to the point. Chief was basically raised as a soldier, so the way he communicated in the original trilogy was kind of like plain talk radio communications. Just say what you have to say and get off the radio ya know?

Now I agree with you that it’s nice to have him talk a little bit more like in Halo 4 and 5, but the way he was talking I didn’t really like too much. Halo 4 was okay, but Halo 5 was painfully bad, and I think the main reason is because he was talking while we’re playing as him. It didn’t really feel right, and I think if 343 wants him to talk more, then keep it to the cut scenes.
It honestly doesn't have a whole lot to do with being raised as a soldier. It's a personality thing in this case. I mean, look at Fred-104, he was raised to be a soldier but he's pretty easy going and more of a people person than say Linda-058. Jerome-092 is a social butterfly (somewhat) and leads fire teams, Alice-130 is just a firework of personality, and even Douglas-042 is pretty outgoing.

Spartans act based upon the ones they surround themselves with and how they take each action. John-117 was a bit more secluded because Bungie wanted to make an empty character even though the books saw a rather different side to him. It is currently unknown if this was because they didn't know how having a character like Novel 117 would be received given the time that Halo: Combat Evolved was made or if they simply wanted to make a game where the player could feel like the hero of the story (even if it technically can't be true because Chief has a name, a background, etc). A lot of games like it (solo hero/character) were pretty empty in the chatterbox category back in the late 90's/early millennia.
Firstly, the books are secondary sources of canon and are trumped by the games. If Chief is one way in the games and another way in the books, we take the games as true canon.

Secondly, as shawnk9512 said, the needs for a character to be more vocal in a book are far greater than in a game. Near-silent protagonists typically dont work outside of games. The spartans were written that way so the books could be interesting.
I don't quite think you can take only the games as canon, but do what you want, I'm not here to tell you that you have to believe the books. Heck, I haven't even read the books, I've heard bits and pieces.

Also, I agree, silent protagonists in books are not very interesting because it's sort of 2 dimensional in a way seeing as we can't see body language to tell us what they vocally are not. But seeing as the books very well could be taken as canon; both the video game version of Chief and the Novel 117 could both be correct interpretations.
shawnk9512 wrote:
I like Chief being John rather than us, the player, but being John doesn't mean he has to say a lot, and when he does, it doesn't have to be all the time.

That being said, I defend Chief talking a lot in Halo 4 because Cortana was dying. He was trying to keep her focused, which was essentially trying to keep her alive. However, we should have been introduced to a more talkative Chief over a period of time, rather than him immediately responding to the first thing Cortana says to him. He shouldn't have said much until after he learnt that Cortana was dying, and even then, only when it became a more realistic possibility that she would die. I think he was handled well in 5. He talks when he should, and he's short-spoken when he needs to be. Being with Blue Team, it would be stranger if he was near-mute.

For Halo: Infinite...I love how short-spoken he was with the pilot. Chief doesn't have a deep connectionwith him, and there's a mission to do. It felt perfectly within character. But when he eventually talks with Cortana again, I want him to say more than five words. How much he says should be situational. I definitely think there's a middle-ground.
I’m constantly surprised how people miss what you say here. For the start of Halo 4, it’s just Chief and Cortana. Having Cortana just ramble off with no feedback from Chief would be really awkward, especially when she had her rampant episodes. In the past there was usually someone else talking like Keyes or Johnson or whoever, so leaving things up to Cortana was fine.

Overall, I think people blow way out of proportion how talkative Chief was in 4. Certainly he talked more than Halo 2 (18 lines in total I believe), but it isn’t like he was spouting Shakespeare.
This is how the entirety of Halo 1 went and it wasn't awkward.
Except it wasn't. Case and point, The control room.When Chief and Cortana were first in the control room, Chief had a full conversation with Cortana.

When 343 Guilty Spark and Chief arrived back in the control room, and the ensuing arguement between 343 and Cortana started, Chief was trying to explain the situation to Cortana.

He didn't just say a couple of short, badass one-liners. Cortana was the voice for the majority of Halo: CE, so Chief didn't need to talk. But Chief spoke exactly when he needed to, which is my entire point. It would have been ridiculously awkward if all he had said during the arguement was shouting "Enough!", or didn't try to keep Cortana FOCUSED on the job at hand when they had first arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cortana can't be the voice anymore. Chief needs to use his own voice. Halo: CE is a perfect example of Chief being mostly short-spoken, but speaking for longer durations when he needs to. He's just short-spoken more often now because Cortana isn't there.
You're missing the context. We're talking about gameplay here, not cutscenes.
I didn't see anyone mention that this discussion was exclusively about in-game. It wasn't my intention to avoid a topic. I can't actually recall Chief saying anything during gameplay in Halo: CE - 3, and yet you stated in your opening post that whenever Chief spoke, you listened (or to that effect). That implies cutscenes.

Cortana spoke during gameplay in Halo 1 and 2, but Cortana is no longer there. In Halo 3, Miranda Keyes or Johnson spoke on our behalf, as Cortana wasn't present for most of the game. Halo 4, Cortana was literally dying. It would be ridiculous for Chief to be quiet. In Halo 5, Chief was with people that were essentially his family. It would be weird to not talk. The context of Halo 4 and 5 matters.
We brought up the opinion chief talking in cutscenes is better earlier but it’s alright if you missed that. And yes the context of those games do matter for sure! I just think the application of him talking more to Cortana and Blue team missed the mark for me.

Cortana was in a bad state when Chief found her at the end of Halo 3 but he still didn’t say much. He didn’t need to because to me I felt the emotion of him finally getting her back safe and sound, with the help of Cortana’s diologue as well. Then enter Halo 4, where he’s really chatty from the beginning, even when it has nothing to do with addressing Cortana’s well being. If he was ONLY a little chatty when comforting her it would have been better. But I said I am earlier post that Halo 4 didn’t bother me as much as Halo 5.

In Halo 5, every time you’re with blue team and we encounter something interesting that needs to be discussed between the team, I feel it should have been in cut scenes. Maybe everyone comments on what they think is going on and Chief gets a line or 2 in, then we move on. If Blue team needed to tell Chief something during gameplay he didn’t have to respond, just like with Cortana in Halo 1 and 2.

Thats just me though!

So so far I like what we’ve seen from the E3 trailer and how he talks to the pilot. It just feels more legit.
I had said earlier that Chief talking more in Halo 4 should have been introduced slowly to the player, across at least a couple of levels. Then, when Chief, and the player, realise the seriousness of Cortana's condition, Chief would then talk more, to be their for her. I've always said it was too abrupt for Chief to immediately respond to the first sentence Cortana says to him.

Granted, that's true. However, 343 are clearly interested in giving Chief his own character (in the games), rather than being a vessel. So if they were going for Chief being a vessel for the player, then that absolutely would have been the solution, as it would have been similar to Halo: CE - 3. However, it would have been a tonal, and character shift from Halo 4. But even then, Halo 5 wasn't the middle-ground for his character, and he did talk a little too much in situations he didn't need to.

As you said about what we've seen of Halo: Infinite, and as I said earlier, Chief feels very in-character being short-spoken to the pilot. He doesn't have a personal relationship with him, so he isn't open. He's just the soldier. That being said, when Chief eventually talks with Cortana again, he needs to say more than five words. Again, how much Chief talks should be situational. It made complete sense in Halo 5's mission 'Blue Team' that Chief responsed to Cortana during gameplay. It would have been more impactful, had he not spoken as much during gameplay for the rest of the game.
I think there's a pretty simple formula for writing dialogue for Chief in Halo: The less he says, the more it counts when he says something.

Understanding the arguments for why he speaks more in Halo 4-5, I think it's still undeniable that his dialogue is less impactful in these games on account of it being more abundant. By which I mean that it no longer feels like an exception to a general rule of silence when he opens his mouth- an effect that used to leave much of the audience hanging on his every syllable when he occasionally did decide to pipe-up.
I like Chief being John rather than us, the player, but being John doesn't mean he has to say a lot, and when he does, it doesn't have to be all the time.

That being said, I defend Chief talking a lot in Halo 4 because Cortana was dying. He was trying to keep her focused, which was essentially trying to keep her alive. However, we should have been introduced to a more talkative Chief over a period of time, rather than him immediately responding to the first thing Cortana says to him. He shouldn't have said much until after he learnt that Cortana was dying, and even then, only when it became a more realistic possibility that she would die. I think he was handled well in 5. He talks when he should, and he's short-spoken when he needs to be. Being with Blue Team, it would be stranger if he was near-mute.

For Halo: Infinite...I love how short-spoken he was with the pilot. Chief doesn't have a deep connectionwith him, and there's a mission to do. It felt perfectly within character. But when he eventually talks with Cortana again, I want him to say more than five words. How much he says should be situational. I definitely think there's a middle-ground.
I’m constantly surprised how people miss what you say here. For the start of Halo 4, it’s just Chief and Cortana. Having Cortana just ramble off with no feedback from Chief would be really awkward, especially when she had her rampant episodes. In the past there was usually someone else talking like Keyes or Johnson or whoever, so leaving things up to Cortana was fine.

Overall, I think people blow way out of proportion how talkative Chief was in 4. Certainly he talked more than Halo 2 (18 lines in total I believe), but it isn’t like he was spouting Shakespeare.
Dr Halsey how are you?
shawnk9512 wrote:
I like Chief being John rather than us, the player, but being John doesn't mean he has to say a lot, and when he does, it doesn't have to be all the time.

That being said, I defend Chief talking a lot in Halo 4 because Cortana was dying. He was trying to keep her focused, which was essentially trying to keep her alive. However, we should have been introduced to a more talkative Chief over a period of time, rather than him immediately responding to the first thing Cortana says to him. He shouldn't have said much until after he learnt that Cortana was dying, and even then, only when it became a more realistic possibility that she would die. I think he was handled well in 5. He talks when he should, and he's short-spoken when he needs to be. Being with Blue Team, it would be stranger if he was near-mute.

For Halo: Infinite...I love how short-spoken he was with the pilot. Chief doesn't have a deep connectionwith him, and there's a mission to do. It felt perfectly within character. But when he eventually talks with Cortana again, I want him to say more than five words. How much he says should be situational. I definitely think there's a middle-ground.
I’m constantly surprised how people miss what you say here. For the start of Halo 4, it’s just Chief and Cortana. Having Cortana just ramble off with no feedback from Chief would be really awkward, especially when she had her rampant episodes. In the past there was usually someone else talking like Keyes or Johnson or whoever, so leaving things up to Cortana was fine.

Overall, I think people blow way out of proportion how talkative Chief was in 4. Certainly he talked more than Halo 2 (18 lines in total I believe), but it isn’t like he was spouting Shakespeare.
This is how the entirety of Halo 1 went and it wasn't awkward.
Except it wasn't. Case and point, The control room.When Chief and Cortana were first in the control room, Chief had a full conversation with Cortana.

When 343 Guilty Spark and Chief arrived back in the control room, and the ensuing arguement between 343 and Cortana started, Chief was trying to explain the situation to Cortana.

He didn't just say a couple of short, badass one-liners. Cortana was the voice for the majority of Halo: CE, so Chief didn't need to talk. But Chief spoke exactly when he needed to, which is my entire point. It would have been ridiculously awkward if all he had said during the arguement was shouting "Enough!", or didn't try to keep Cortana FOCUSED on the job at hand when they had first arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cortana can't be the voice anymore. Chief needs to use his own voice. Halo: CE is a perfect example of Chief being mostly short-spoken, but speaking for longer durations when he needs to. He's just short-spoken more often now because Cortana isn't there.
You're missing the context. We're talking about gameplay here, not cutscenes.
I didn't see anyone mention that this discussion was exclusively about in-game. It wasn't my intention to avoid a topic. I can't actually recall Chief saying anything during gameplay in Halo: CE - 3, and yet you stated in your opening post that whenever Chief spoke, you listened (or to that effect). That implies cutscenes.

Cortana spoke during gameplay in Halo 1 and 2, but Cortana is no longer there. In Halo 3, Miranda Keyes or Johnson spoke on our behalf, as Cortana wasn't present for most of the game. Halo 4, Cortana was literally dying. It would be ridiculous for Chief to be quiet. In Halo 5, Chief was with people that were essentially his family. It would be weird to not talk. The context of Halo 4 and 5 matters.
We brought up the opinion chief talking in cutscenes is better earlier but it’s alright if you missed that. And yes the context of those games do matter for sure! I just think the application of him talking more to Cortana and Blue team missed the mark for me.

Cortana was in a bad state when Chief found her at the end of Halo 3 but he still didn’t say much. He didn’t need to because to me I felt the emotion of him finally getting her back safe and sound, with the help of Cortana’s diologue as well. Then enter Halo 4, where he’s really chatty from the beginning, even when it has nothing to do with addressing Cortana’s well being. If he was ONLY a little chatty when comforting her it would have been better. But I said I am earlier post that Halo 4 didn’t bother me as much as Halo 5.

In Halo 5, every time you’re with blue team and we encounter something interesting that needs to be discussed between the team, I feel it should have been in cut scenes. Maybe everyone comments on what they think is going on and Chief gets a line or 2 in, then we move on. If Blue team needed to tell Chief something during gameplay he didn’t have to respond, just like with Cortana in Halo 1 and 2.

Thats just me though!

So so far I like what we’ve seen from the E3 trailer and how he talks to the pilot. It just feels more legit.
I had said earlier that Chief talking more in Halo 4 should have been introduced slowly to the player, across at least a couple of levels. Then, when Chief, and the player, realise the seriousness of Cortana's condition, Chief would then talk more, to be their for her. I've always said it was too abrupt for Chief to immediately respond to the first sentence Cortana says to him.

Granted, that's true. However, 343 are clearly interested in giving Chief his own character (in the games), rather than being a vessel. So if they were going for Chief being a vessel for the player, then that absolutely would have been the solution, as it would have been similar to Halo: CE - 3. However, it would have been a tonal, and character shift from Halo 4. But even then, Halo 5 wasn't the middle-ground for his character, and he did talk a little too much in situations he didn't need to.

As you said about what we've seen of Halo: Infinite, and as I said earlier, Chief feels very in-character being short-spoken to the pilot. He doesn't have a personal relationship with him, so he isn't open. He's just the soldier. That being said, when Chief eventually talks with Cortana again, he needs to say more than five words. Again, how much Chief talks should be situational. It made complete sense in Halo 5's mission 'Blue Team' that Chief responsed to Cortana during gameplay. It would have been more impactful, had he not spoken as much during gameplay for the rest of the game.
Yeah I agree, it would be awesome if Chief kind of kept to the mission at hand for most of the game except for dialogue with Cortana. Him talking more to her than anyone else in the game would hold more weight in a truly special way. Don’t take me the wrong way I don’t want him to be mute haha I pretty much agree with the majority of what you just said.
shawnk9512 wrote:
I like Chief being John rather than us, the player, but being John doesn't mean he has to say a lot, and when he does, it doesn't have to be all the time.

That being said, I defend Chief talking a lot in Halo 4 because Cortana was dying. He was trying to keep her focused, which was essentially trying to keep her alive. However, we should have been introduced to a more talkative Chief over a period of time, rather than him immediately responding to the first thing Cortana says to him. He shouldn't have said much until after he learnt that Cortana was dying, and even then, only when it became a more realistic possibility that she would die. I think he was handled well in 5. He talks when he should, and he's short-spoken when he needs to be. Being with Blue Team, it would be stranger if he was near-mute.

For Halo: Infinite...I love how short-spoken he was with the pilot. Chief doesn't have a deep connectionwith him, and there's a mission to do. It felt perfectly within character. But when he eventually talks with Cortana again, I want him to say more than five words. How much he says should be situational. I definitely think there's a middle-ground.
I’m constantly surprised how people miss what you say here. For the start of Halo 4, it’s just Chief and Cortana. Having Cortana just ramble off with no feedback from Chief would be really awkward, especially when she had her rampant episodes. In the past there was usually someone else talking like Keyes or Johnson or whoever, so leaving things up to Cortana was fine.

Overall, I think people blow way out of proportion how talkative Chief was in 4. Certainly he talked more than Halo 2 (18 lines in total I believe), but it isn’t like he was spouting Shakespeare.
This is how the entirety of Halo 1 went and it wasn't awkward.
Except it wasn't. Case and point, The control room.When Chief and Cortana were first in the control room, Chief had a full conversation with Cortana.

When 343 Guilty Spark and Chief arrived back in the control room, and the ensuing arguement between 343 and Cortana started, Chief was trying to explain the situation to Cortana.

He didn't just say a couple of short, badass one-liners. Cortana was the voice for the majority of Halo: CE, so Chief didn't need to talk. But Chief spoke exactly when he needed to, which is my entire point. It would have been ridiculously awkward if all he had said during the arguement was shouting "Enough!", or didn't try to keep Cortana FOCUSED on the job at hand when they had first arrived.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cortana can't be the voice anymore. Chief needs to use his own voice. Halo: CE is a perfect example of Chief being mostly short-spoken, but speaking for longer durations when he needs to. He's just short-spoken more often now because Cortana isn't there.
You're missing the context. We're talking about gameplay here, not cutscenes.
I didn't see anyone mention that this discussion was exclusively about in-game. It wasn't my intention to avoid a topic. I can't actually recall Chief saying anything during gameplay in Halo: CE - 3, and yet you stated in your opening post that whenever Chief spoke, you listened (or to that effect). That implies cutscenes.

Cortana spoke during gameplay in Halo 1 and 2, but Cortana is no longer there. In Halo 3, Miranda Keyes or Johnson spoke on our behalf, as Cortana wasn't present for most of the game. Halo 4, Cortana was literally dying. It would be ridiculous for Chief to be quiet. In Halo 5, Chief was with people that were essentially his family. It would be weird to not talk. The context of Halo 4 and 5 matters.
We brought up the opinion chief talking in cutscenes is better earlier but it’s alright if you missed that. And yes the context of those games do matter for sure! I just think the application of him talking more to Cortana and Blue team missed the mark for me.

Cortana was in a bad state when Chief found her at the end of Halo 3 but he still didn’t say much. He didn’t need to because to me I felt the emotion of him finally getting her back safe and sound, with the help of Cortana’s diologue as well. Then enter Halo 4, where he’s really chatty from the beginning, even when it has nothing to do with addressing Cortana’s well being. If he was ONLY a little chatty when comforting her it would have been better. But I said I am earlier post that Halo 4 didn’t bother me as much as Halo 5.

In Halo 5, every time you’re with blue team and we encounter something interesting that needs to be discussed between the team, I feel it should have been in cut scenes. Maybe everyone comments on what they think is going on and Chief gets a line or 2 in, then we move on. If Blue team needed to tell Chief something during gameplay he didn’t have to respond, just like with Cortana in Halo 1 and 2.

Thats just me though!

So so far I like what we’ve seen from the E3 trailer and how he talks to the pilot. It just feels more legit.
I had said earlier that Chief talking more in Halo 4 should have been introduced slowly to the player, across at least a couple of levels. Then, when Chief, and the player, realise the seriousness of Cortana's condition, Chief would then talk more, to be their for her. I've always said it was too abrupt for Chief to immediately respond to the first sentence Cortana says to him.

Granted, that's true. However, 343 are clearly interested in giving Chief his own character (in the games), rather than being a vessel. So if they were going for Chief being a vessel for the player, then that absolutely would have been the solution, as it would have been similar to Halo: CE - 3. However, it would have been a tonal, and character shift from Halo 4. But even then, Halo 5 wasn't the middle-ground for his character, and he did talk a little too much in situations he didn't need to.

As you said about what we've seen of Halo: Infinite, and as I said earlier, Chief feels very in-character being short-spoken to the pilot. He doesn't have a personal relationship with him, so he isn't open. He's just the soldier. That being said, when Chief eventually talks with Cortana again, he needs to say more than five words. Again, how much Chief talks should be situational. It made complete sense in Halo 5's mission 'Blue Team' that Chief responsed to Cortana during gameplay. It would have been more impactful, had he not spoken as much during gameplay for the rest of the game.
You make some good points and propose a nice middle-ground.
Perhaps it would be best if he talks lesser during gameplay as compared to halo 4 & 5. That's one of the things that made the original triology memorable and established Chief.
I don’t mind him talking, just want him to talk less, not too chatty
Mnkymn89 wrote:
I preferred chief’s depiction in halo 4/5. He felt more like an actual character which is refreshing after reading the books.
Games take priority over books
Him being silent should be a thing of the past.
I like that 343 want to move forward with character. We already been trough alot with chief so him talking more gives us more variety.
Zarby689 wrote:
Mnkymn89 wrote:
I preferred chief’s depiction in halo 4/5. He felt more like an actual character which is refreshing after reading the books.
Games take priority over books
In the bungie days sure but not in the 343 era.
Zarby689 wrote:
Mnkymn89 wrote:
I preferred chief’s depiction in halo 4/5. He felt more like an actual character which is refreshing after reading the books.
Games take priority over books
Even though that isn’t true, and hasn’t since 343 took over, it’d be irrelevant since Chief could still easily be a real character even if the games and books were put on a tier list of relevancy.
I don't think the Master Chief spoke too much in Halo 4 and 5. I thought it was realistic and in line with canon. However, I don't want the gameplay immersion to be broken by his sudden engagement in dialogue. He should only speak during cutscenes.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3