Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Master Chief should have more action scenes!

OP N1K Leonhart

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Chief is like a Super Hero that kills hundreds,thousands Covenant with ease.Yet we don't see him in so many cool action scenes.All we got in Halo 5 Cutscenes was 2 "action"scenes with him.First was shooting the window and duck beneath energy sword.And second was sloppy fight with Locke.
Truth be told, I honestly don't think the Master Chief needs action scenes. A short scuffle here and a punch-up there, sure, but anything like the opening of Halo 5: Guardians, with Osiris just isn't the Chief's style.
Personally I want more first person quick time events like in Halo 4, for example with killing the elite by mashing B during the first mission.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Truth be told, I honestly don't think the Master Chief needs action scenes. A short scuffle here and a punch-up there, sure, but anything like the opening of Halo 5: Guardians, with Osiris just isn't the Chief's style.
Remember,Chief as Spartan II should be superior in strength,speed than Osiris Spartan IV-s.But most of the time we see him in Cutscenes he appears slow like a RoboCop.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Remember,Chief as Spartan II should be superior in strength,speed than Osiris Spartan IV-s.But most of the time we see him in Cutscenes he appears slow like a RoboCop.
Superior in strength and speed, yes, but that doesn't mean that action scenes are necessary. Most of the action comes from the gameplay.
Can't say I'm on board with more QTE's, as I feel like they seriously mess with the first person immersion. I do like the Idea of there being a few more extended "action" cutscenes like we saw in Halo 2 most particularly. Seeing the Chief shine in third person once in a while is a great way to remind the player of how absolutely badd-yoink! - he is.
I'm fine with more cutscenes but I wouldn't want them to go overboard with the superhero action. He's a capable badass but he's also humble and deliberate in his actions, I wouldn't want exaggerated flashy moves out of him. He's straight and to the point, just does what is needed.
Can't say I'm on board with more QTE's, as I feel like they seriously mess with the first person immersion. I do like the Idea of there being a few more extended "action" cutscenes like we saw in Halo 2 most particularly. Seeing the Chief shine in third person once in a while is a great way to remind the player of how absolutely badd-yoink! - he is.
Exactly!Wanna see some cool moves,show us what the best Spartan is capable of!
x N7 117 x wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
Superior in strength and speed, yes, but that doesn't mean that action scenes are necessary. Most of the action comes from the gameplay.
But gameplay is just shooting stuff and then in Cutscenes he is mostly walking slowly with his AR.I want to see some memorable action scenes with Chief,especially if it's gonna be his last game.
I think odds are pretty poor than Infinite is the final MC game. I know there's a lot of talk about whether 343i will write him out somehow when Steve Downes retires from voice work, but if I were them I'd take zero issue with recasting Chief. Not at all to disparage Downes' work with the character, but to someone with roughly the right tambor, the voice isn't particularly difficult to mimic reasonably well. They can for sure find someone who can put forward an extremely passable Chief voice to keep the character at the forefront of the mainline series.

I don't know how much interest in general there is in seeing a new and different series protagonist after Locke's extremely tepid (if not downright poor) reception in the role.
I think odds are pretty poor than Infinite is the final MC game. I know there's a lot of talk about whether 343i will write him out somehow when Steve Downes retires from voice work, but if I were them I'd take zero issue with recasting Chief. Not at all to disparage Downes' work with the character, but to someone with roughly the right tambor, the voice isn't particularly difficult to mimic reasonably well. They can for sure find someone who can put forward an extremely passable Chief voice to keep the character at the forefront of the mainline series.

I don't know how much interest in general there is in seeing a new and different series protagonist after Locke's extremely tepid (if not downright poor) reception in the role.
Heresy!You would replace Steve Downes voice for Chief?After almost 20 years of his commitment to the Halo series he should not be replaced.And surely 343 can make a good main protagonist if Master Chief story should end.
Locke was not received well because Halo 5 had a team based gameplay,if he were alone like Chief in Halo 1-4 he would be more interesting character.
x N7 117 x wrote:
That's because he was wearing a Gen-2 set or armor... Installation 00 does a great video on explaining that scene.

Heresy!You would replace Steve Downes voice for Chief?After almost 20 years of his commitment to the Halo series he should not be replaced.And surely 343 can make a good main protagonist if Master Chief story should end.
Locke was not received well because Halo 5 had a team based gameplay,if he were alone like Chief in Halo 1-4 he would be more interesting character.
TBH I'd play another game involving Buck before I'd ever played a game with Locke as the main character.
x N7 117 x wrote:
That should be true to a degree, however, the Spartan IVs are just about as strong and as fast as an SII while in thier GEN 2 armor. The GEN 2 is lighter, faster, and stronger than the GEN, as it amplifies the SIVs abilities to that of the SIIs in thier respective Mjolnir. However, during Halo 5, the Chief was equipped with his own GEN 2 Mk VI MOD armor.
With that said, the GEN 1 scales force fractually, meaning it increased strength as the user forces it to. This means the harder the wearer wills themselves to go, it will amplify accordingly. Which is why there are instances where the the user over extends themselves, often injuring them in the process. Like when the chief successfully out ran an attacking gunship while testing out his new Mk V Mjolnir, but also tore his Achilles tendon in the process
GEN 2 will only enhance abilities to that of a baseline GEN 1 Mk VI, which is still very impressive, meaning every Spartan IV is on an even footing with thier compatriots.
Locke's Hunter armor was a prototype variant, which could imllybthat certain functions could be overridden, or that it was a more improved GEN 2 system (Gen 2.5?) That couldve allowed him to go head to head against the Chief as his did.
I wouldn't quite call Chief a 'Super Hero' because of his rising number of times he's saved the known Galaxy and then some. Super Heroes tend to do good because it's the right thing to do, they also don't kill people; Alien or otherwise. Chief is a Super Soldier and he does good because it falls within our belief of what is the Greater Good. His duty as a soldier is to protect Humanity, whatever the cost. This isn't something he was born wanting to do, it isn't even something he grew up wanting to do; rather he was conditioned to follow orders and perform his duties. Were it not for this, he would have likely just grew up like any other inhabitant of Eridanus II and died like them too (considering the Covenant Glassed his home world if I recall correctly.)

To get back on topic; I don't think Chief needs all the flash and glamour. Sure, he's got faster reflexes, thinks faster, moves faster, is stronger and trained better in every way than the average soldier. For all that though? Spartan-II's were trained in the art of subtlety. They don't care to make a big scene (they actually prefer to avoid it), they prefer to be quick, silent, and efficient. Think of them less as massive soldiers standing almost 7 feet tall and more like ninjas. Because if they do things quietly, they can maintain the element of surprise for much longer.

Course, I'm pretty sure most of us believe Chief to be the many great's grandchild of Micheal Bay with his ever present need to blow something up wherever he goes.
To be clear, I highly respect Downes as Master Chief. I don't think he's irricplacable, is all. He'll likely always be my favorite MC in any event, but I can see this character kind of going the James Bond route.
Yeah, Im down for it.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
I disagree, bungie kept the cutscenes for dialogue and cinematic moments that couldn't happen during gameplay or needed to go on a specific way without you interfering or doing something different than continuing the plot, letting all the combat in your hands. In action scenes there's no tension since it always is the same without doing anything. It's an FPS, not a movie.
I disagree, bungie kept the cutscenes for dialogue and cinematic moments that couldn't happen during gameplay or needed to go on a specific way without you interfering or doing something different than continuing the plot, letting all the combat in your hands. In action scenes there's no tension since it always is the same without doing anything. It's an FPS, not a movie.
Halo 2 had great action scenes and it was made by Bungie.
If the Chief is gonna be doing any action scenes, I want to be a part of that action. Why buy an FPS game where I just sit back and watch all the action take place? I might as well just go buy a movie then. I hated how H5 had a whole action scene where Locke took down Mdama, when that very easily could have been a decent boss fight. Same for the Chief/Locke fight. Cut scenes, imo, are for advancing the plot and transitioning to the next scene.. the actual game play is all the action scene we are supposed to need when playing a shooting game lol.
Halo 2 had great action scenes and it was made by Bungie.
What action scene are you referring to? The closest he gets is the bomb on Cairo Station, but all he really does is drag it to an airlock and then ride it toward a Covenant ship and detonate it. I honestly can't think of a single scene in the original trilogy where the Chief is doing anything substantially action packed, like a gun battle, during a cut scene.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2