Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Master Chief: To die, or not to die.

OP Hella Hot Trash

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Disclaimer: This post may include spoilers to certain games, TV shows, movies, and books.

Maybe this subject hasn't been on everyone's mind, but it certainly has had me thinking lately. Will the writers of Halo Infinite actually kill Master Chief in the story, or will he survive the game and become a practically immortal character similar to Homer Simpson, Spongebob Squarepants, Super Mario, or any other character that happens to just have infinite life.

Now, here me out before you start lighting your keyboards on fire and creating a mob, but I think that Master Chief dying in Halo Infinite could be one of the most amazing, sad, epic, and overall good ways to end his character if it is done correctly. Of course, I am not neglecting the possibilities of horrible ways this could be done, but in my opinion there are so many reasons him dying at end of the game could work. Now, let me list some examples of beloved characters such as Chief were killed off properly in their franchise:

Once again, spoilers ahead.

L from Deathnote
: L was a character that was arguably the most lovable, smart, funny, and overall liked character in Deathnote. He was righteous, intelligent, fair, and even tho he was socially isolated and awkward, he still maintained a persona that even the most outgoing and social person could relate to. When he was killed in Episode 25, me and everyone else who admired him was heartbroken, shocked, and just overall dumbfounded that he was actually murdered. Of course my first reaction was along the lines of "how could they do this!? how could they kill our favorite character who meant sooo much us!" And later it hit me, that was what his death was supposed to do. After L died, it made you realize so much more how much you actually loved him for everything he was, whereas if he was kept alive you wouldn't have had that realization. Also, his death was one of the keys in determining who Kira was, and L knew that, therefore you had even more reasons to like him because that showed he was the kind of investigator who had so much integrity that he put his life on the line in order to fulfill his duty.

Jerome Morrow from Gattaca: Now, I'm going to assume that most people on these forums have never seen Gattaca, but I'll explain why this character's death was so significant and amazing anyway. Much like L, many people loved Jerome over every other character in the movie, but for different reasons. He was smart, funny, charming, and had a way of you being perfectly OK with him being a self righteous, pompous jerk. Despite being crippled to a wheelchair, he still had more confidence and self respect than Vincent, who was much smarter, stronger, and overall able than Jerome. He also had a vulnerable side as well that showed in his alcoholism and chronic smoking, but even with those inhibitors he was still determined to help Vincent become an astronaut. In the end of the movie, Vincent finally becomes an astronaut like he dreamed of being his entire life, and Jerome, with the satisfaction that he helped Vincent become what he dreamed of being, kills himself in the furnace along with his loathed Second Place Olympic medal. What might typically be seen as a sad and horribly depressing way to die is in my opinion not. Jerome killed himself because he knew he no longer had any reason to continue and that his goal of completing another person's life and fulfilling his dream was complete.

John Coffey from The Green Mile: Once again, another beloved character who exhibits traits highly sought after by everyone. John Coffey was kind, fair, funny, and an overall amazing person who has been wronged by the corruption and racism of his time and location. You would have to be the most soulless person alive to not feel for John Coffey and want him to receive justice for being so wrongly persecuted and unfairly dealt. However, Stephen King did not give us that satisfaction; instead he gives us the exact opposite. John Coffey is eventually given the harshest punishment a criminal at the time could have received, the electric chair. I'm not the only one who can say that the electric chair execution has to be one of the most horrific, provoking, and overall infuriating scenes of movie history. King did not save any viewer's feelings by creating a story with a happy ending. He created a story that's ending and death of a character like John Coffey was the most accurate and likely portrayals of reality in its time. John Coffey's death signified how unjust, unfair, and overall cruel conditions were for a person like him in that era.

So, there are ways to kill beloved and iconic characters in a story, but it all just boils down to how well you do it. If Master Chief is going to die in Halo Infinite, then it needs to be like one of the examples above: It needs to have a good reason both pertaining to the story and to Chief himself. It can't just be any death, it has to be Master Chief's death, and with enough work, thought, and creativity, I know it can be done. The question just is: will they actually do it? Will they kill the Chief?
Probably not. It could be done in a good way, but it seems that fan attachment to the Chief is too great for 343 to risk continuing Halo without him. Which isn't to say that Halo couldn't go on without Chief; it could. Star Wars is an example of a huge franchise that is ripe with different avenues and characters to focus on beyond the core set of Skywalkers. Halo could do the same. Plenty of spin-off potential in Halo. But, given that Halo Infinite is not likely to be the last Halo game (and not even likely to be the last of the Reclaimer saga), I fully expect Chief to survive. And that could be good. One of the things people were hoping for in a post-Halo 4 Chief was looking at how he handled loss and being alone (ie no AI in his head). We didn't really get that in Halo 5 because by mission 2 we already know Cortana is back, and he was never really alone because Blue Team was with him. But that sad Chief thread is not cut; we could still go along that route and future games could focus on a different side of Chief. And that could make for compelling stories that continue the main games, while still leaving spin-off opportunities to experiment and investigate other characters and stories throughout the Halo universe. But, honestly, while dying would probably be the only way that Chief stops fighting, it just doesn't seem like something that would happen to him. He doesn't seem like the retiring type, either; it would be very Chief if he just kept fighting, even into old age (however long that would take).

tl;dr - they probably won't kill Chief, not after vowing to double down on him with Infinite. But that isn't necessarily bad.
343 isn't in a position to be taking risks with the story imo. I bet they'll keep Chief alive through Halo 6 and see if they have gained enough trust and respect from the community to start taking risks like that.

Concerning your comment on infinite life, this may not address your point, but there's a line in New Blood where Buck asks what his life expectancy is with augmentations, and the technician (or whoever it was) tells him that they don't know the actual life expectancy of a Spartan since none have died of old age yet, for obvious reasons. So Chief could actually be combat effective far into what we in the modern day would consider retirement age. So basically Chief could potentially be fighting well into his 70s or even 80s, and that's not factoring in the amount of years he spent in cryo.
Chimera30 wrote:
Probably not. It could be done in a good way, but it seems that fan attachment to the Chief is too great for 343 to risk continuing Halo without him. Which isn't to say that Halo couldn't go on without Chief; it could. Star Wars is an example of a huge franchise that is ripe with different avenues and characters to focus on beyond the core set of Skywalkers. Halo could do the same. Plenty of spin-off potential in Halo. But, given that Halo Infinite is not likely to be the last Halo game (and not even likely to be the last of the Reclaimer saga), I fully expect Chief to survive. And that could be good. One of the things people were hoping for in a post-Halo 4 Chief was looking at how he handled loss and being alone (ie no AI in his head). We didn't really get that in Halo 5 because by mission 2 we already know Cortana is back, and he was never really alone because Blue Team was with him. But that sad Chief thread is not cut; we could still go along that route and future games could focus on a different side of Chief. And that could make for compelling stories that continue the main games, while still leaving spin-off opportunities to experiment and investigate other characters and stories throughout the Halo universe. But, honestly, while dying would probably be the only way that Chief stops fighting, it just doesn't seem like something that would happen to him. He doesn't seem like the retiring type, either; it would be very Chief if he just kept fighting, even into old age (however long that would take).

tl;dr - they probably won't kill Chief, not after vowing to double down on him with Infinite. But that isn't necessarily bad.
I agree. I believe they're most likely not going to kill him, but there are many examples, such as Star Wars, that have suffered from the problem of keeping characters alive too long and having them be invincible, therefore diminishing the character's realism and relatability (yes I know that's not a word).

Example: Finn from Star Wars. This guy is just some random janitor from the Imperial fleet who, within the span of 1.5 episodes, harnesses the strength and ability to defeat the most battle hardened, highly trained and skilled, and overall best trooper in the fleet, Capt. Phasma, within minutes. Not only that, he survives practically everything to the point where he's not even human, and here's the worst part about him. His death would have been EPIC if he had continued his sacrifice into the giant laser battering ram and saved the Resistance army in the base, but nope. He gets saved by another invincible character Rose and instead of him having the most meaningful and epic death, he now gets a super awkward and cringe kiss from her right before she should have died, Buuuuuut, she lives too. lol And I don't even know where to star with Rey, but I'm sure you see where I'm getting at.

Killing characters people love is not only good for the story, but it's good for the viewers also. It shows that the character is a human being just like we are, and is in fact able to die. Chief is no exception. Sure, he's a super Spartan enhanced with enhanced life support and so on, but as Halo 4 brilliantly explained through excellent storytelling, he too is a human just like we are.

I could go on and on about characters in movies and games that should have died, and the hole it left in my chest and void left in my brain from lack of closure and peace, but I'll just say this:

I want Chief to die. For the sake of the story and franchise, if he continues to live and be invincible, he is subject to the same problems Finn, Rose, and so many other characters have: They cannot die, they will not die, nothing can stop them, and therefore you are inferior to them and cannot relate to them in any way, shape, or form.
He's gotta die eventually, as the years progress so does his age. Unless they give him some ancient forerunner immortality sodapop which I don't think I'd like. I'm betting on him going out the same game Cortana does. The whole mainline game Halo story started and has centered around them, I think it fitting for the current story ark to end with them, whether that'll be H6 I really couldn't guess. Hey maybe that's why it's called Infinite, Chief is gonna gain immortality lol
Nope mario or samus doesn't die why should the chief
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Why does this topic rear its ugly head every time a new game is coming out... We know the answer already, and it's no.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
I don't personally have anything against Chief dying. He's far from my favorite character in the series and I think it would allow MUCH more characters to be fleshed out if he were gone, but it's not happening yet. 343 is pretty adamant on this if you do just a little research.

Give them time to prepare a proper sendoff and one that compliments the story.

If you have nothing constructive to say or anything to add to the discussion, then just don't say anything at all. You wanna troll around and be disrespectful for no reason? Cool. Go do it somewhere else.
You're not in the position to decide what I can and cannot say on a topic. I have my grievances with it and I believe I've expressed them civilly up to this point.
PolyGoner wrote:
I don't personally have anything against Chief dying. He's far from my favorite character in the series and I think it would allow MUCH more characters to be fleshed out if he were gone, but it's not happening yet. 343 is pretty adamant on this if you do just a little research.

Give them time to prepare a proper sendoff and one that compliments the story.

If you have nothing constructive to say or anything to add to the discussion, then just don't say anything at all. You wanna troll around and be disrespectful for no reason? Cool. Go do it somewhere else.
You're not in the position to decide what I can and cannot say on a topic. I have my grievances with it and I believe I've expressed them civilly up to this point.
Liking your own post I see, cool. I didn't say anything disrespectful to you so I expect the same from you. Clearly you had nothing productive or constructive to say, so why even say anything at all?

Pro tip: you wanna comment on something, actually say something that suggests you read more than the title and try not to make it so obvious that you're just trying to be irritating.

like you're literally gonna straight up call me ugly and think it's ok? Wow, just wow. Super uncalled for.
Liking your own post I see, cool.
No.

Pro tip: you wanna comment on something, actually say something that suggests you read more than the title and try not to make it so obvious that you're just trying to be irritating.
Pro tip: You don't have to take everything so personally. In fact, I've tried to be clear from the beginning that it's not. Now you're making a conscious decision to be my enemy and I can't guarantee my responses will reflect my better side if you insist on it. This is really too trivial a thing to do this over.
Disclaimer: This post may include spoilers to certain games, TV shows, movies, and books.

Maybe this subject hasn't been on everyone's mind, but it certainly has had me thinking lately. Will the writers of Halo Infinite actually kill Master Chief in the story, or will he survive the game and become a practically immortal character similar to Homer Simpson, Spongebob Squarepants, Super Mario, or any other character that happens to just have infinite life.

Now, here me out before you start lighting your keyboards on fire and creating a mob, but I think that Master Chief dying in Halo Infinite could be one of the most amazing, sad, epic, and overall good ways to end his character if it is done correctly. Of course, I am not neglecting the possibilities of horrible ways this could be done, but in my opinion there are so many reasons him dying at end of the game could work. Now, let me list some examples of beloved characters such as Chief were killed off properly in their franchise:
L from Deathnote: L was a character that was arguably the most lovable, smart, funny, and overall liked character in Deathnote. He was righteous, intelligent, fair, and even tho he was socially isolated and awkward, he still maintained a persona that even the most outgoing and social person could relate to. When he was killed in Episode 25, me and everyone else who admired him was heartbroken, shocked, and just overall dumbfounded that he was actually murdered. Of course my first reaction was along the lines of "how could they do this!? how could they kill our favorite character who meant sooo much us!" And later it hit me, that was what his death was supposed to do. After L died, it made you realize so much more how much you actually loved him for everything he was, whereas if he was kept alive you wouldn't have had that realization. Also, his death was one of the keys in determining who Kira was, and L knew that, therefore you had even more reasons to like him because that showed he was the kind of investigator who had so much integrity that he put his life on the line in order to fulfill his duty.

Jerome Morrow from Gattaca: Now, I'm going to assume that most people on these forums have never seen Gattaca, but I'll explain why this character's death was so significant and amazing anyway. Much like L, many people loved Jerome over every other character in the movie, but for different reasons. He was smart, funny, charming, and had a way of you being perfectly OK with him being a self righteous, pompous jerk. Despite being crippled to a wheelchair, he still had more confidence and self respect than Vincent, who was much smarter, stronger, and overall able than Jerome. He also had a vulnerable side as well that showed in his alcoholism and chronic smoking, but even with those inhibitors he was still determined to help Vincent become an astronaut. In the end of the movie, Vincent finally becomes an astronaut like he dreamed of being his entire life, and Jerome, with the satisfaction that he helped Vincent become what he dreamed of being, kills himself in the furnace along with his loathed Second Place Olympic medal. What might typically be seen as a sad and horribly depressing way to die is in my opinion not. Jerome killed himself because he knew he no longer had any reason to continue and that his goal of completing another person's life and fulfilling his dream was complete.

John Coffey from The Green Mile: Once again, another beloved character who exhibits traits highly sought after by everyone. John Coffey was kind, fair, funny, and an overall amazing person who has been wronged by the corruption and racism of his time and location. You would have to be the most soulless person alive to not feel for John Coffey and want him to receive justice for being so wrongly persecuted and unfairly dealt. However, Stephen King did not give us that satisfaction; instead he gives us the exact opposite. John Coffey is eventually given the harshest punishment a criminal at the time could have received, the electric chair. I'm not the only one who can say that the electric chair execution has to be one of the most horrific, provoking, and overall infuriating scenes of movie history. King did not save any viewer's feelings by creating a story with a happy ending. He created a story that's ending and death of a character like John Coffey was the most accurate and likely portrayals of reality in its time. John Coffey's death signified how unjust, unfair, and overall cruel conditions were for a person like him in that era.

So, there are ways to kill beloved and iconic characters in a story, but it all just boils down to how well you do it. If Master Chief is going to die in Halo Infinite, then it needs to be like one of the examples above: It needs to have a good reason both pertaining to the story and to Chief himself. It can't just be any death, it has to be Master Chief's death, and with enough work, thought, and creativity, I know it can be done. The question just is: will they actually do it? Will they kill the Chief?
I don't think they'll kill off the the chief, it might happen at some point, but not in Halo Infinite and if it happens I imagine the chief living on in some way. I agree, there are ways to kill beloved characters in stories, I have seen The Green Mile, Gattaca and Deathnote, however the difference with those examples is none of them were the main character. I enjoy Sons of Anarchy, I was annoyed when they killed off Opie and others, especially Half Sack, again they were not the main characters, there's also Daniel from SG1 and Carson from SG Atlantis. I think killing a main character is a lot more complicated than killing off a supporting one. In saying that, killing off Daniel and Carson in the Stargate series caused enough fan outrage that they had to bring them back. In fact with Daniel, it was done poorly, they killed him off over actor wages.
343 isn't in a position to be taking risks with the story imo. I bet they'll keep Chief alive through Halo 6 and see if they have gained enough trust and respect from the community to start taking risks like that.

Concerning your comment on infinite life, this may not address your point, but there's a line in New Blood where Buck asks what his life expectancy is with augmentations, and the technician (or whoever it was) tells him that they don't know the actual life expectancy of a Spartan since none have died of old age yet, for obvious reasons. So Chief could actually be combat effective far into what we in the modern day would consider retirement age. So basically Chief could potentially be fighting well into his 70s or even 80s, and that's not factoring in the amount of years he spent in cryo.
Johnson was like, 70 I think and he was an ORION survivor; you never would have even guessed how hold he was looking at him. Halo completely destroys what we perceive as old age when it comes to augmented soldiers. So, given that Chief is a second generation of ORION? He could reach over 100 and we'd all still think he was in his 30's judging just by his physical peak performance.

Frankly, I would eventually be ok with Chief dying; it would break my heart at first because he is the first character I've truly loved because of what he's endured, what he's had to do, and what kind of personality he has. He feels extremely relateable depending on how you view him. But I think it would be best if he WASN'T killed; because that was the whole point. He was MADE to seem invincible and while you could argue that that's a good reason to off him, I think the grounds of being unable to be killed just suits him. But that's my personal opinion.
eviltedi wrote:

L from Deathnote: L was a character that was arguably the most lovable, smart, funny, and overall liked character in Deathnote. He was righteous, intelligent, fair, and even tho he was socially isolated and awkward, he still maintained a persona that even the most outgoing and social person could relate to. When he was killed in Episode 25, me and everyone else who admired him was heartbroken, shocked, and just overall dumbfounded that he was actually murdered. Of course my first reaction was along the lines of "how could they do this!? how could they kill our favorite character who meant sooo much us!" And later it hit me, that was what his death was supposed to do. After L died, it made you realize so much more how much you actually loved him for everything he was, whereas if he was kept alive you wouldn't have had that realization. Also, his death was one of the keys in determining who Kira was, and L knew that, therefore you had even more reasons to like him because that showed he was the kind of investigator who had so much integrity that he put his life on the line in order to fulfill his duty.

I don't think they'll kill off the the chief, it might happen at some point, but not in Halo Infinite and if it happens I imagine the chief living on in some way. I agree, there are ways to kill beloved characters in stories, I have seen The Green Mile, Gattaca and Deathnote, however the difference with those examples is none of them were the main character. I enjoy Sons of Anarchy, I was annoyed when they killed off Opie and others, especially Half Sack, again they were not the main characters, there's also Daniel from SG1 and Carson from SG Atlantis. I think killing a main character is a lot more complicated than killing off a supporting one. In saying that, killing off Daniel and Carson in the Stargate series caused enough fan outrage that they had to bring them back. In fact with Daniel, it was done poorly, they killed him off over actor wages.
Very true. I guess I didn't consider from a story standpoint that L, Jerome, and John Coffey weren't exactly main characters. I mean, they were main characters, but not the main character like Light (who did have an epic death, also), Vincent, and whoever the cop Tom Hanks was.

However, there are main characters, such as Light, who do die in movies/shows in very good ways. Take some Clint Eastwood movies, Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino. Both movies have you invested in the main character so much, and at the end of each one they both die in ways that make the movie waaaay better. Also, Saving Private Ryan, it could be argued that Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) is the main character, seeing as how he is basically in command at all times. He too has an epic and meaningful death that further valued his character.

I guess I just have too much hope that the game will go back to the M for mature rating, not only for dialogue and graphic violence reasons, but also for the sake of an actual story that only mature audiences would accept. However, I think the story becoming more and more kid friendly is due to the fact you can't sell megablocks, legos, and plush toys of a game that's M rated more easily than you could a game that's T rated. Oh well.

Another type of halo 3 "death" where you think he's dead but he is alive maybe retired with a family
I want MC to die. Be the hero to sacrifice himself. I explained it constantly on the forums in the past, I don't feel like sounding like a broken record.

Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Master Chief is old, and if you're going to keep the story going at some point he is going to die. Whether you like it or not all heroes in Halo either die or become old. Halo 3 had it right, Master Chief sacrificed himself and became some mythical being. Even in Halo 4 if you hear some of the dialogue when you're rescuing the Marines they are in absolute shock to see Chief assisting them with Prometheans. If Halo Infinite should be the last Halo or the end to the Reclaimer Saga they should finally kill him off. It will get a lot of people upset to see the Chief go but why not end the franchise in the best way for all having Master Chief do something that not even ONI can sabotage his image because everyone saw it? Especially since the game may take place on Installation 07 a ring known for having Ancient Humans and Flood?
If Halo Infinite should be the last Halo or the end to the Reclaimer Saga they should finally kill him off.
Halo Infinite has neither been described as the last Halo nor as the end of the Reclaimer Saga. It's simply continuing the Master Chief's story.
Halo 3 had it right, Master Chief sacrificed himself and became some mythical being.
To be fair, H3 was ambiguous on Chief's fate for the duration of the credits. Not very long. But even then, I don't think players really thought Chief was dead; it was kind of expected that he survived. Especially when the opening scene of H3 expressly mentioned Chief being lucky. Maybe Bungie thought they were legitimately being clever with that fade to white, but I personally didn't buy it. So, yes, while the rest of humanity in H3 thought Chief sacrificed himself and was dead, we as players knew he survived.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2