Master Chief: To die, or not to die.

OP Hella Hot Trash

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Chimera30 wrote:
If Halo Infinite should be the last Halo or the end to the Reclaimer Saga they should finally kill him off.
Halo Infinite has neither been described as the last Halo nor as the end of the Reclaimer Saga. It's simply continuing the Master Chief's story.
Halo 3 had it right, Master Chief sacrificed himself and became some mythical being.
To be fair, H3 was ambiguous on Chief's fate for the duration of the credits. Not very long. But even then, I don't think players really thought Chief was dead; it was kind of expected that he survived. Especially when the opening scene of H3 expressly mentioned Chief being lucky. Maybe Bungie thought they were legitimately being clever with that fade to white, but I personally didn't buy it. So, yes, while the rest of humanity in H3 thought Chief sacrificed himself and was dead, we as players knew he survived.
It's not until I played the Legendary ending I saw he survived and drifted to the planet. Him dying has always kind of "stuck" with me for all the wrong reasons. I guess Infinite is just dropping of the numbers then and not signifying the last Halo game. Either way whatever the final Halo game is, I hope he passes heroically.
It's not until I played the Legendary ending I saw he survived and drifted to the planet. Him dying has always kind of "stuck" with me for all the wrong reasons. I guess Infinite is just dropping of the numbers then and not signifying the last Halo game. Either way whatever the final Halo game is, I hope he passes heroically.
The scene showing Cortana and Chief in the Forward Unto Dawn remains came after the credits on any difficulty. The only "secret" ending associated to Legendary difficulty was the ship drifting towards a planet (which we later learned in H4 was Requiem).
Chimera30 wrote:
The scene showing Cortana and Chief in the Forward Unto Dawn remains came after the credits on any difficulty. The only "secret" ending associated to Legendary difficulty was the ship drifting towards a planet (which we later learned in H4 was Requiem).
That's how I know I was just too hyperactive as a teen playing on Normal. I really thought that was Legendary only for both scenes.
Bruh what if the covenant finally figured out noob combos

just a quick pop of the shields and a headshot

BAM

rip. master chief
I think 343 may have been considering it given the direction they chose to go with Halo 5, but after the massively negative reception that the H5 story received, I highly doubt they'd go down that road now.
Not killing him
oozra wrote:
Bruh what if the covenant finally figured out noob combos

just a quick pop of the shields and a headshot

BAMrip. master chief
He'd have to figure out how to harness Flood technology somehow.
At the end of Halo Infinite Master Chief should make a heroic sacrifice were everyone thinks he is dead but then he comes out alive. And then immediately get nailed in the head by a jackal sniper.
At the end of Halo Infinite Master Chief should make a heroic sacrifice were everyone thinks he is dead but then he comes out alive. And then immediately get nailed in the head by a jackal sniper.
I don't think I could even be mad at this. 343, please make this happen lol
Ok, Chimera30 raises a great point. MC will probably be around for a long while, but how about Cortana though?
Looks like she's on her way out? That will be interesting to see how that works out in the end.
Ok, Chimera30 raises a great point. MC will probably be around for a long while, but how about Cortana though?
Looks like she's on her way out? That will be interesting to see how that works out in the end.
She was already out with Halo 4 until 343 decided to drag her corpse out to make whatever the heck she was supposed to be in Halo 5.
She was already out with Halo 4 until 343 decided to drag her corpse out to make whatever the heck she was supposed to be in Halo 5.
It's just funny that your former sidekick becomes a master villain trying to hang on to life at all costs.
A twisted love interest who wants MC all to herself locked away in a Cryptum as in H4. I guess now
we'll get a chance to see the more human side of MC in his quest to understand his humanity.
Disclaimer: This post may include spoilers to certain games, TV shows, movies, and books.

Maybe this subject hasn't been on everyone's mind, but it certainly has had me thinking lately. Will the writers of Halo Infinite actually kill Master Chief in the story, or will he survive the game and become a practically immortal character similar to Homer Simpson, Spongebob Squarepants, Super Mario, or any other character that happens to just have infinite life.

Now, here me out before you start lighting your keyboards on fire and creating a mob, but I think that Master Chief dying in Halo Infinite could be one of the most amazing, sad, epic, and overall good ways to end his character if it is done correctly. Of course, I am not neglecting the possibilities of horrible ways this could be done, but in my opinion there are so many reasons him dying at end of the game could work. Now, let me list some examples of beloved characters such as Chief were killed off properly in their franchise:
Once again, spoilers ahead.
L from Deathnote: L was a character that was arguably the most lovable, smart, funny, and overall liked character in Deathnote. He was righteous, intelligent, fair, and even tho he was socially isolated and awkward, he still maintained a persona that even the most outgoing and social person could relate to. When he was killed in Episode 25, me and everyone else who admired him was heartbroken, shocked, and just overall dumbfounded that he was actually murdered. Of course my first reaction was along the lines of "how could they do this!? how could they kill our favorite character who meant sooo much us!" And later it hit me, that was what his death was supposed to do. After L died, it made you realize so much more how much you actually loved him for everything he was, whereas if he was kept alive you wouldn't have had that realization. Also, his death was one of the keys in determining who Kira was, and L knew that, therefore you had even more reasons to like him because that showed he was the kind of investigator who had so much integrity that he put his life on the line in order to fulfill his duty.

Jerome Morrow from Gattaca: Now, I'm going to assume that most people on these forums have never seen Gattaca, but I'll explain why this character's death was so significant and amazing anyway. Much like L, many people loved Jerome over every other character in the movie, but for different reasons. He was smart, funny, charming, and had a way of you being perfectly OK with him being a self righteous, pompous jerk. Despite being crippled to a wheelchair, he still had more confidence and self respect than Vincent, who was much smarter, stronger, and overall able than Jerome. He also had a vulnerable side as well that showed in his alcoholism and chronic smoking, but even with those inhibitors he was still determined to help Vincent become an astronaut. In the end of the movie, Vincent finally becomes an astronaut like he dreamed of being his entire life, and Jerome, with the satisfaction that he helped Vincent become what he dreamed of being, kills himself in the furnace along with his loathed Second Place Olympic medal. What might typically be seen as a sad and horribly depressing way to die is in my opinion not. Jerome killed himself because he knew he no longer had any reason to continue and that his goal of completing another person's life and fulfilling his dream was complete.

John Coffey from The Green Mile: Once again, another beloved character who exhibits traits highly sought after by everyone. John Coffey was kind, fair, funny, and an overall amazing person who has been wronged by the corruption and racism of his time and location. You would have to be the most soulless person alive to not feel for John Coffey and want him to receive justice for being so wrongly persecuted and unfairly dealt. However, Stephen King did not give us that satisfaction; instead he gives us the exact opposite. John Coffey is eventually given the harshest punishment a criminal at the time could have received, the electric chair. I'm not the only one who can say that the electric chair execution has to be one of the most horrific, provoking, and overall infuriating scenes of movie history. King did not save any viewer's feelings by creating a story with a happy ending. He created a story that's ending and death of a character like John Coffey was the most accurate and likely portrayals of reality in its time. John Coffey's death signified how unjust, unfair, and overall cruel conditions were for a person like him in that era.

So, there are ways to kill beloved and iconic characters in a story, but it all just boils down to how well you do it. If Master Chief is going to die in Halo Infinite, then it needs to be like one of the examples above: It needs to have a good reason both pertaining to the story and to Chief himself. It can't just be any death, it has to be Master Chief's death, and with enough work, thought, and creativity, I know it can be done. The question just is: will they actually do it? Will they kill the Chief?
I hope for not to die
It's just funny that your former sidekick becomes a master villain trying to hang on to life at all costs.
A twisted love interest who wants MC all to herself locked away in a Cryptum as in H4. I guess now
we'll get a chance to see the more human side of MC in his quest to understand his humanity.
Love interest? That ain’t it chief
True but would've been crazy though.
True but would've been crazy though.
Would’ve made what 343 did all the more disrespectful to Cortana’s character.
When Steve Downes is no longer voice acting Master Chief that should be it.Out of respect for the iconic voice for Chief in now almost 20 years,when he no longer does it they should replace the main character.
When Steve Downes is no longer voice acting Master Chief that should be it.Out of respect for the iconic voice for Chief in now almost 20 years,when he no longer does it they should replace the main character.
That's one day I hope will not come soon.
Unpopular opinion: I'm fine with MC continuing to live and keep on keeping on. If/when they kill off the MC, I'd like to think they'll keep to the faceless hero. Kind of nice to have another legendary character in the making that could look like anyone. Heck maybe even switch things up with a female lead and male AI, but that might be too crazy.
Unpopular opinion: I'm fine with MC continuing to live and keep on keeping on. If/when they kill off the MC, I'd like to think they'll keep to the faceless hero. Kind of nice to have another legendary character in the making that could look like anyone. Heck maybe even switch things up with a female lead and male AI, but that might be too crazy.
In Halo 3 ODST they kinda went that route in there also in Halo Reach as well.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3