Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Master chiefs armor classic redesign.

OP Johnboy795

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm really glad that 343 is going back to the classic armor design. I'm hoping they do the same with other things in the game mainly the elites. I really dont understand why 343 made such a big change to his armor to begin with. I understand that Cortana made "upgrades" to it. What I dont get though is how is an AI, who's most physical form at the beginning of halo 4 was a hologram, able to make changes to the physical appearance of his armor. I can see Cortana making software upgrades with a new HUD or something like that.
This is the stupidest and lamest move made by 343 I've ever seen.
While the main reason for the change was just a different art style (it is still the Mark VI), apparently Frankie hinted at there being nanomachines on-board the Forward Unto Dawn.
Heyhou117 wrote:
Can you elaborate? Do you mean their initial redesign in H4/H5? Or their recent redesign in the Infinite trailer? I personally love the new look of Gen 3, but I'm interested to hear why people don't like it.
x N7 117 x wrote:
While the main reason for the change was just a different art style (it is still the Mark VI), apparently Frankie hinted at there being nanomachines on-board the Forward Unto Dawn.
Yeah I remember him saying something that, and if I recall correctly, it was a justification added after the fact when people pointed out that Cortana wouldn't be capable of making physical changes to the armor.
I like both designs
Heyhou117 wrote:
Can you elaborate? Do you mean their initial redesign in H4/H5? Or their recent redesign in the Infinite trailer? I personally love the new look of Gen 3, but I'm interested to hear why people don't like it.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Yeah I remember him saying something that, and if I recall correctly, it was a justification added after the fact when people pointed out that Cortana wouldn't be capable of making physical changes to the armor.
I dont like the new design because in my opinion it just doesnt make sense for a hologram AI to make those changes. I also am not a fan on the looks it's just not what I think of master chief wearing when I think about it. I always imagine him in the iconic Mark VI bungie designed. I think Bungie got the look perfect with their design of mark VI. I'm also really hoping they change the elites back to the classic design. What they have now are just big hulking beasts that stumble around the battlefield.
Johnboy795 wrote:
Heyhou117 wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
I dont like the new design because in my opinion it just doesnt make sense for a hologram AI to make those changes. I also am not a fan on the looks it's just not what I think of master chief wearing when I think about it. I always imagine him in the iconic Mark VI bungie designed. I think Bungie got the look perfect with their design of mark VI. I'm also really hoping they change the elites back to the classic design. What they have now are just big hulking beasts that stumble around the battlefield.
I definitely hear ya, and I'm a big fan of the old Chief designs that had him a little slimmer. When 343 gave him a massive, hulking suit of armor, it felt like a step backwards in technology. Almost like going from a sleek and simple smart phone to an old Nokia brick phone. When they went from small to big, it made me ask "why would the more advanced suit be bigger than the less advanced suit?"

But with the new Gen 3 design, I think it served to mesh the two approaches fairly well. The armor is simpler in appearance yet retains the bulkier look of the H4/H5 armor. While I would prefer we just go straight back to the old style, I can appreciate 343 trying to balance the preferences of a very diverse fan base.
I think a lot of the changes that were made was about 343i trying to establish Halo is their franchise now. Unfortunately that meant not respecting what was already there, adding things that messed with the formula, and just a general sense of change for the sake of change, which apparently little did they know almost never goes well for a beloved existing franchise that already has an identity.
I think a lot of the changes that were made was about 343i trying to establish Halo is their franchise now. Unfortunately that meant not respecting what was already there, adding things that messed with the formula, and just a general sense of change for the sake of change, which apparently little did they know almost never goes well for a beloved existing franchise that already has an identity.
Yeah I agree. H4 being their first game they wanted to rebrand the look of Halo, I guess? The good thing is, from the looks of it, that's all in the past now. The MC has a classic look, Halo Wars 2 had good looking Elites, the world had color again, and the vast apparent oppeness of the world was promising in the trailer.
Heyhou117 wrote:
Well that’s just your opinion, 343 made worse moves than this & they’re fixing their mistakes, this is a step to the right direction
Yeah I agree. H4 being their first game they wanted to rebrand the look of Halo, I guess? The good thing is, from the looks of it, that's all in the past now. The MC has a classic look, Halo Wars 2 had good looking Elites, the world had color again, and the vast apparent oppeness of the world was promising in the trailer.
Yup I'm super happy with the new art style so far, in fact Chief's new armour is my favourite iteration yet.
Heyhou117 wrote:
I agree and don't agree with you at the same time. It was a lame and an overly nostalgic move just to get the OGs back, but it wasn't stupid because as much as I like the H4/H5 design, they never explained how it changed, while they have the chance to do so in Infinite
Personally I'd rather have a mixed design rather than a design made just for nostalgia
Johnboy795 wrote:
Heyhou117 wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
True that about the Elites
Heyhou117 wrote:
I agree and don't agree with you at the same time. It was a lame and an overly nostalgic move just to get the OGs back, but it wasn't stupid because as much as I like the H4/H5 design, they never explained how it changed, while they have the chance to do so in Infinite
Personally I'd rather have a mixed design rather than a design made just for nostalgia
I don't think it is just for nostalgia; the redesign in Halo 4 was not the most approved of look. I know some people liked it but most didn't. To represent what I'm talking about, I went to a game shop this weekend and do you know what version of the Master Chief was hanging in the advertisement? Halo 3's Master Chief. 12 years later and that look is still the look of the Xbox. So not only is the new Infinite redesign nostalgic but it is also iconic which is the bigger picture. People know the Master Chief from Halo 2, and Halo 3. They may not recognize the chief from Halo 4 and Halo 5 unless they played the games.
I like all armor editions each one reminds me of one certain title of the Halo series and i don't understand why this is such an big issue to people
Because moat people call it lazy if you use the same artstyle for more than one game.

Look at you COD haters.
So I take it almost nobody here has seen that brief making of footage for the discover hope trailer? The footage that clearly shows how the GEN 3 design was just slapped on to cover up what was just chiefs 343 armor in the early modeling phase? And I suppose had you seen it, you wouldn't agree that this move seems at once like cheap nostalgia baiting, cheaper skimping on polygons, and an ongoing contemptuous streak of last minute art changes made to 343s halo games?
I love the redesign. Can't wait to see what the armor will look like in game.
Zifker wrote:
So I take it almost nobody here has seen that brief making of footage for the discover hope trailer? The footage that clearly shows how the GEN 3 design was just slapped on to cover up what was just chiefs 343 armor in the early modeling phase? And I suppose had you seen it, you wouldn't agree that this move seems at once like cheap nostalgia baiting, cheaper skimping on polygons, and an ongoing contemptuous streak of last minute art changes made to 343s halo games?
Yeah, I have no idea what you are trying to accuse 343 of. It just seems like you are looking for a reason to be mad.
I honestly loved the look of Halo 4's armor and even Halo 5's. I never really cared for Mr. Gorilla Arms with a Space Diaper. But that's just me; the old look was ok but I never really cared for it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3