Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Master chiefs armor classic redesign.

OP Johnboy795

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
My opinion is that chief looked badass in the infinite trailer and I can’t wait for the game to come out.
I love it it looks amazing I think 343i killed it it's a nice balance of all the iterations of chiefs armor over the years also I wonder what advancements gen 3 has over gen 2
I'm honestly really happy with the new design.
I loved his new armor in H4. It felt like a natural evolution, like from CE to 2. It honored and evolved the look of the spartans, and if you look closer, it was the only armor in the game that looked battleworn and had a black undersuit. The nanobots explanation did suck though. Maybe the correct move would be having this new badass armor for the new spartans, like the prologue teased (instead of having power rangers) and let chief stick with his H2-3 armor a littke longer, I guess? I just don't want this new armor gone.
I like the idea of Chief using "retro/throwback" armor designs. He kinda embodies a form follows function, and minimalist nature. Why shouldn't that extend to his choice in armor permutations. I has been a staunch supporter of the 343 redesigns because I like the more functional, visual, aspect of some of the armors. I liked that they relied more upon the techsuit(undersuit) being the primary platform of the armor, and lest reliant on the actual armored-metal matracies(armor portions) for protection-a heavy reliance on thier shields is more at the forefront. It does give then that more mass produced aesthetic quality, which plays more into the lore of the Spartan VI's.

I think everyone likes to down play the S VI's and labels them as cocky and wannabes. But during the Human-Covenant War, Spartans were-after being relatively declassified, percieved as superheroes, and legends, as men and women who embody the best of humanity. So why wouldnt the average soldier look up to that, and want to emulate that? Yeah maybe they are abit cocky, but they're now joining the ranks of thier heroes. They should be proud of that. Let's not forget about the selection process-one has to be selected, it's not just a volunteer program. They proved themselves during the war, and while many weren't as good as a Spartan, they were great in thier own right, which earned them the ability to be selected for the Spartan Division.

I digress. I read in some of the lore, that the GEN 3 armor system builds upon lessons learned with both GEN 1 and GEN 2 system, improving them. But also reverting back to some original ideas. A simple explanation of fitting the switch to the GEN 3 Mk VI, could be that, in order to mask some of thier operations from the Created, using certain Spartan Abilities made them an easy target for Promethean and Created forces. So a bypass was needed to lock out those abilities. Or that some of the GEN 2 systems were derived from Forerunner tech that makes them vulnerable to Created scanning equipment and thus a big target. So for Spartans still equipped with GEN 2 armor, certain abilities are turned off, or locked out, prohibiting thier use. The Chief being at the forefront of all of this it was natural fit for him to receive a GEN 3 suit, in order to combat Cortana and Created forces. Its an easy and explanation and can fit into the lore with ease. Just my thoughts, and wanted to share other ideas.

Just please, oh please, dont remove, or touch Locke's HUNTER armor from the multiplayer, its my favorite armor in the series thus far!!
Zifker wrote:
So I take it almost nobody here has seen that brief making of footage for the discover hope trailer? The footage that clearly shows how the GEN 3 design was just slapped on to cover up what was just chiefs 343 armor in the early modeling phase? And I suppose had you seen it, you wouldn't agree that this move seems at once like cheap nostalgia baiting, cheaper skimping on polygons, and an ongoing contemptuous streak of last minute art changes made to 343s halo games?
Yeah, I have no idea what you are trying to accuse 343 of. It just seems like you are looking for a reason to be mad.
I feel like I was clear, but let me ask you a couple of things:

Why did the techsuits get locked to the primary armor color, despite how such clashes with lore, Spartans portrayed in campaign and spartan ops, and even the concept art for 343 armor classes?

Why did the decision to make the new chief armor come after they already had the basic model set up for his custom suit?

Why do the 343 games not allow the use of chiefs armor in multiplayer, despite such being the standard in Bungie games?

Why did the customization process get bottlenecked so drastically, leaving fewer options to mix armor components and creating no new opportunities for color customization?

Why are fans getting defensive about these and other criticisms?

What I'm accusing 343 of is complacency, an intolerable thing in this age of contempt for consumers, and a sign that a once beloved franchise is being hacked out with minimal use of potential resources and good will. Knowing what we all do about the modern gaming industry, these and other issues likely trace back to intervention in the creative process by some artistically bankrupt publishing executives. And I dont need to look for a reason to be annoyed by that.
Zifker wrote:
Zifker wrote:
So I take it almost nobody here has seen that brief making of footage for the discover hope trailer? The footage that clearly shows how the GEN 3 design was just slapped on to cover up what was just chiefs 343 armor in the early modeling phase? And I suppose had you seen it, you wouldn't agree that this move seems at once like cheap nostalgia baiting, cheaper skimping on polygons, and an ongoing contemptuous streak of last minute art changes made to 343s halo games?
Yeah, I have no idea what you are trying to accuse 343 of. It just seems like you are looking for a reason to be mad.

Why did the techsuits get locked to the primary armor color, despite how such clashes with lore, Spartans portrayed in campaign and spartan ops, and even the concept art for 343 armor classes?

Why did the decision to make the new chief armor come after they already had the basic model set up for his custom suit?

Why do the 343 games not allow the use of chiefs armor in multiplayer, despite such being the standard in Bungie games?

Why did the customization process get bottlenecked so drastically, leaving fewer options to mix armor components and creating no new opportunities for color customization?

What I'm accusing 343 of is complacency, an intolerable thing in this age of contempt for consumers, and a sign that a once beloved franchise is being hacked out with minimal use of potential resources and good will. Knowing what we all do about the modern gaming industry, these and other issues likely trace back to intervention in the creative process by some artistically bankrupt publishing executives. And I dont need to look for a reason to be annoyed by that.
What does any of that have to do with what you said about Chief’s armor in the “making of” trailer?
Zifker wrote:
Zifker wrote:

What does any of that have to do with what you said about Chief’s armor in the “making of” trailer?
Yeah, and besides the person replying to you before seems to be taking the concept of changing Master Chief's armor WAY too seriously. The way I see it, Master chief had a standard armor design through Halo's 1-3. He started with Mark V and got it upgraded to the more iconic Mark VI. When 343 made Halo 4, they decided to change it for whatever reason. I myself didn't mind the change in armor too much, but it still felt a little unnecessary. Then when the trailers for Infinite showed up, everyone saw the classic design of Mark VI return. I thought it was awesome. That's it. I hope Halo Infinite will be a fantastic game.
Zifker wrote:
Zifker wrote:

Chiefs armor in the trailer was modeled and animated to be the 343 variant. 343 armor permutations were designed with a traditional techsuit and color scheme. It was only late in the process of making these games that these drastic and pointless tweaks were made, to an at best mixed reaction from the fanbase. That tells you that they are not decisions rooted in any artistic concern. It can be reasonably inferred that the true motivations for chiefs new armor have to do with the work saved on polygons in the model, and/or a cynical attempt by Microsoft to bait preorders out of fans with cheap nostalgia (I refuse to consider the argument that the mark vi is any more iconic than the previous variants, since such wouldn't make it any less of an outdated design both in lore and rl). Similarly, the arbitrary restrictions on armor customization all too conveniently spares development time to put into the monetization system, depriving halo of its last unique selling point. Even more conveniently, the obvious frustrations many fans have with custom limits feed into the profitability of the maligned REQ system.

I like Halo, despite having a myriad of criticisms for it. What I don't like is watching Microsoft butcher the franchise just to cash in on the industry's latest get-rich-quick scheme, itself a barely legal bird flipping to fans and gaming as a whole.
I love it it looks amazing I think 343i killed it it's a nice balance of all the iterations of chiefs armor over the years also I wonder what advancements gen 3 has over gen 2
I think it just needs a darker shade of green.
While I do like the redesign of Chief's armor, I don't get why they went from the Halo 4 design back to a remastered classic Armor design for chief. I liked the Halo 4 Chief armor the best though.
While I do like the redesign of Chief's armor, I don't get why they went from the Halo 4 design back to a remastered classic Armor design for chief. I liked the Halo 4 Chief armor the best though.
They wanted Halo Infinite to be a spiritual reboot. A lot of people were unhappy with how 343i completely overwrote Halo's identity with its new art style, and so the Infinite team seems to be going with a mix of old and new.
omarlotrc wrote:
They wanted Halo Infinite to be a spiritual reboot. A lot of people were unhappy with how 343i completely overwrote Halo's identity with its new art style, and so the Infinite team seems to be going with a mix of old and new.
"Completely overwrote Halo's identity"? The art changes didn't make the tech lore any less insultingly stupid, they didn't get rid of the operatic grunt's-eye view of an apocalyptic interstellar war, and they didn't even cause a deviation in the old 'Chief and Cortana save the day' plot structure (we all know good and well her alignment shift in Guardians will be reversed or otherwise rendered moot).

Of all the stupid things 343 did do, I can't understand how any fan would fixate on the fact that the H3 Mk6 armor got outmoded. I came into the series with the original H2, and consequently only consider only specific elements of the armor design essential (black tech suit, green plating, orange/gold visor). Sure, the new variant was applied rather hamfistedly, but the H4/H5 armor at least doesn't seem stagnant or regressive like the GEN3 Mk6 does. It looks like someone took the basic Mjolnir elements and added a little Forerunner flair, which works beautifully with Chief's role as prophesied Reclaimer. But changing it back just to please the underaged fanboys who actually believe the series peaked with H3 is just idiotic.

What I'm saying is that Halo's identity is served, not wronged, by an update in Mjolnir firmware. If you're looking for the real threat to the Halo franchise, it's the hobbling of armor customization in multiplayer just to make the game into an overpriced pachinko machine. Also I suppose reversing the updates in armor design for nostalgia's sake. F**k the REQ system, f**k GEN3.
Zifker wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
"Completely overwrote Halo's identity"? The art changes didn't make the tech lore any less insultingly stupid, they didn't get rid of the operatic grunt's-eye view of an apocalyptic interstellar war, and they didn't even cause a deviation in the old 'Chief and Cortana save the day' plot structure (we all know good and well her alignment shift in Guardians will be reversed or otherwise rendered moot).

Of all the stupid things 343 did do, I can't understand how any fan would fixate on the fact that the H3 Mk6 armor got outmoded. I came into the series with the original H2, and consequently only consider only specific elements of the armor design essential (black tech suit, green plating, orange/gold visor). Sure, the new variant was applied rather hamfistedly, but the H4/H5 armor at least doesn't seem stagnant or regressive like the GEN3 Mk6 does. It looks like someone took the basic Mjolnir elements and added a little Forerunner flair, which works beautifully with Chief's role as prophesied Reclaimer. But changing it back just to please the underaged fanboys who actually believe the series peaked with H3 is just idiotic.

What I'm saying is that Halo's identity is served, not wronged, by an update in Mjolnir firmware. If you're looking for the real threat to the Halo franchise, it's the hobbling of armor customization in multiplayer just to make the game into an overpriced pachinko machine. Also I suppose reversing the updates in armor design for nostalgia's sake. F**k the REQ system, f**k GEN3.
I am referring to the art style in general. UNSC structures don't really look like UNSC structures anymore. Elites don't look like Elites. The Wraith in Halo 5 is just...I don't even know how to describe it. The only thing that felt like it evolved was Chief's armor. Nearly everything else felt awful in my opinion.
What you have to remember about 343 Industries is the fact that they're trend-followers, so they looked at other video games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, and other Science Fiction franchises and altered Halo's artstyle to better match what other companies were doing. The Master Chief got off pretty easy in that regard, so I'm surprised that it's his design that stands out as being a big change to you.
What you have to remember about 343 Industries is the fact that they're trend-followers, so they looked at other video games like Mass Effect, Dead Space, and other Science Fiction franchises and altered Halo's artstyle to better match what other companies were doing. The Master Chief got off pretty easy in that regard, so I'm surprised that it's his design that stands out as being a big change to you.
I would not say they are trend followers. If they were, we would have a Battle Royale Halo game.
omarlotrc wrote:
I would not say they are trend followers. If they were, we would have a Battle Royale Halo game.
There hasn't been a Halo title from them since the rise of that genre, and I'll remind you...

. Perks
. Killstreaks
. Killcams
. Sprint
. Quick time events
. Aim down sights
. Advanced mobility
. Borderline always-online digital rights management
. Lootboxes
omarlotrc wrote:
There hasn't been a Halo title from them since the rise of that genre, and I'll remind you...

. Perks
. Killstreaks
. Killcams
. Sprint
. Quick time events
. Aim down sights
. Advanced mobility
. Lootboxes
While I will agree that Halo 4 followed some trends with perks, personal ordnance, and some aspects of the advanced mobility, "aiming down sights" does not qualify as a trend. They introduced SmartScope in an attempt to make every weapon in the sandbox viable.
omarlotrc wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:

. Perks
. Killstreaks
. Killcams
. Sprint
. Quick time events
. Aim down sights
. Advanced mobility
. Lootboxes
While I will agree that Halo 4 followed some trends with perks, personal ordnance, and some aspects of the advanced mobility, "aiming down sights" does not qualify as a trend. They introduced SmartScope in an attempt to make every weapon in the sandbox viable.
It's absolutely a case of followed market trends. Every shooter allows you to pull your weapon up to your face with the right trigger, and that's exactly what happens in Halo 5: Guardians.
omarlotrc wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:

. Perks
. Killstreaks
. Killcams
. Sprint
. Quick time events
. Aim down sights
. Advanced mobility
. Lootboxes
It's absolutely a case of followed market trends. Every shooter allows you to pull your weapon up to your face with the right trigger, and that's exactly what happens in Halo 5: Guardians.
Not all weapons do that. Some have scopes, some do not. It depends on the design of the weapon.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3