Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Microtransactions might be a HUGE thing

OP Dein Exfreund

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I don’t really watch Yong, but I mostly see his channel as pretty click-baity.
Some of his videos be pretty misleading, but when you watch them they can really interesting.
WerepyreND wrote:
If there are no lootboxes paid or otherwise that will be a step in the right direction, but if Assassin's Creed Odyssey is teaching us anything its that other forms of microtransactions can still have have a detrimental effect on game design. Making the game an absurd grind and selling methods to bypass said grind it is still going to suck even if it doesn't have that extra gross gambling aspect of lootboxes.
Odyssey isn't much of an example to me, you may as well bring up any open world RPG if grinding is an issue as that will be the case with all of them. Plus my own experience differs from media reviewers playing the game half--Yoinked!- and making up false narratives. Dismantle things, loot things as they'll be in your lath anyways, and you'll have plenty of materials to upgrade. Lvl gating wise I'd say tough, games have been doing that since that the start before microTs were a thing, the point Is to make players challenge themselves, remove the lvl gating and let people go wherever they want and said challenge is gone. It's either that or let players have a ridiculous power fantasy.

@OP: microTs will indeed be a huge thing, it's why 343 needs to be smart about it. Government intervention is already inevitable, it's simply a matter of time till regulations are in place. That said 343 would be smart to not do anything dumb with infinite, the brand names already been in decline, feeding into the microtransactions controversy isn't something infinite needs as it will be watched for. Really they simply need to not include anything RNG related and they'd be in the clear, the issue isn't that microTs are used, it's how they're used that causes the issue and RNG AKA lootboxes are the driving force.
Grinding in and of itself is not a problem, grind is not an inherently bad thing. There are plenty of games that revolve around grinding for this that or the other thing that don't have the same issues. You don't sell "time savers" or "Materials packs" if you think your game has a fair and reasonable level of grind to begin with. At this point it steps over "grind" and becomes a "chore." If you wan t a game to be challenging that that is what difficulty levels are for, I couldn't care less if someone wants to boot up AC and breeze through the game. Arbitrarily gating things off doesn't reward skill, it rewards folks with more time. Said level gates don't become a problem if people feel like they can reach them in a reasonable timeframe(to them), and clearly some people don't feel it is very reasonable.

Even then, none of that would necessarily be a problem if the game was Free 2 Play ala Warframe. Part of the social contract for F2P games is that you get something for free up front and accept a more "aggressive"(to put it lightly) business model. However AC: Odyssey is a full price game with 6 special editions, plus whatever promotional deals and microtransactions, it doesn't get the same leeway.

The idea of companies putting out the "option" in a premium game for the consumer to pay them in order to play said game less should be raising all sorts of red flags.
first of all, this is not new content. this information has been known and believe me when I say don't take everything a lot of halo news youtube channels say so seriously, half of them are just click bait channels that drag on the same topics for eternity because they can't get any actual halo news. secondly, halo being sold to ea is not realistic in any sense. mainly because halo's supposed to be one of Microsoft biggest exclusives, it wouldn't make sense to sell it to ea.
personally I don't mind micro-transactions as long as you can still easily play the game with out having to buy them to unlock stuff. halo 5's req system would've been fine if they hadn't made the mistake of putting all of the cosmetics in randomized packs. if they need extra money then I think they should stick with dlc like map packs or mini-campaigns.
also, on a similar note, I'm pretty sure they've already said that infinite won't have real money micro-transactions. I'm not entirely sure what that means but my guess is that you buy things via point system. whether or not you can buy points is beyond me.
WerepyreND wrote:
If there are no lootboxes paid or otherwise that will be a step in the right direction, but if Assassin's Creed Odyssey is teaching us anything its that other forms of microtransactions can still have have a detrimental effect on game design. Making the game an absurd grind and selling methods to bypass said grind it is still going to suck even if it doesn't have that extra gross gambling aspect of lootboxes.
Odyssey isn't much of an example to me, you may as well bring up any open world RPG if grinding is an issue as that will be the case with all of them. Plus my own experience differs from media reviewers playing the game half--Yoinked!- and making up false narratives. Dismantle things, loot things as they'll be in your lath anyways, and you'll have plenty of materials to upgrade. Lvl gating wise I'd say tough, games have been doing that since that the start before microTs were a thing, the point Is to make players challenge themselves, remove the lvl gating and let people go wherever they want and said challenge is gone. It's either that or let players have a ridiculous power fantasy.

@OP: microTs will indeed be a huge thing, it's why 343 needs to be smart about it. Government intervention is already inevitable, it's simply a matter of time till regulations are in place. That said 343 would be smart to not do anything dumb with infinite, the brand names already been in decline, feeding into the microtransactions controversy isn't something infinite needs as it will be watched for. Really they simply need to not include anything RNG related and they'd be in the clear, the issue isn't that microTs are used, it's how they're used that causes the issue and RNG AKA lootboxes are the driving force.
Gov intervention? That is all depending on where your specific gov is located. If you are located in Europe or Asia I'd say possibly, and a BIG "possibly". In the US, no way.

Video games are a "Luxury Industry" that has become big business and has gotten to the point where investors need to be kept happy in order to keep the industry going. MT's are not going away unless game prices go up. The industry tried raising prices and that got push back, then season passes and that got push back. Now they are full force into Micro's, it is working and no matter how much push back, the industry now has the numbers to back up the practice because people will simply spend the cash.

I know people who I've played Halo with since 3, who never got a map pack, but gladly buy into the Fortnite cosmetic BS, and have spent more then they would have getting a map pack. Now this same person is trying to get me to play that BS game, because his kids want him to play it and he spent so much money on it.

I seriously don't see MT's going away.
You're missing my point. The issue isn't microTs in general, it's lootboxes IE random items given to you. That is what governments are looking at as that is what's ticking people off to such a big degree.

Furthermore the U.S. has already been getting involved.
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=04c83f73-6a42-43ec-baf3-dd30b7094ab0It's only going to get bigger and bigger, even then the US wouldn't be needed 🤷. All it takes is a good chunk of countries to oppose it and the gaming companies will be forced to change it or their game won't be allowed in said country. That's a lot of sales you're missing out on. Regardless the US IS getting involved, that article mentions Minnesota and Hawaii originally started it off.

There is no possibly to this either, EA has already been taken to court over it and threats have been made towards other games like blizzards overwatch game. It's inevitable, there is no possibility, there is no maybe, it will happen in due time. Furthermore it's not hard to see how some companies have changed things with their newer games, it's helped contribute to emotes being popular.

So I'm In Agreement, microTs aren't going away, lootboxes however will and that was my point.
Not going to argue with you because I think in general we are on the same page and it all comes down to semantics. I somewhat disagree, yet at the same time agree
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2