Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Microtransactions return back, is the game ruined?

OP AMA4N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 9
  4. 10
  5. 11
  6. ...
  7. 12
I wouldn't give up all hope just yet. Microtransactions aren't world ending until they make games pay to win. If 343 can avoid making microtransactions game changing purchases and keep things purely cosmetic, we'll be fine.
Legitsky wrote:
I wouldn't give up all hope just yet. Microtransactions aren't world ending until they make games pay to win. If 343 can avoid making microtransactions game changing purchases and keep things purely cosmetic, we'll be fine.
This is what I keep trying to tell everyone, but it seems like many are choosing to jump to conclusions.
omarlotrc wrote:
This is what I keep trying to tell everyone, but it seems like many are choosing to jump to conclusions.
Maybe some people just despise the mere concept of microtransactions and refuse to support them in any way, shape or form? It's their prerogative to vote with their wallet if they want them completely gone from AAA gaming.

I mean, back in the day, EA had these online passes, where you'd get a one-time-use key to activate online features, to try and suppress reselling of used games. This had zero effect on me, since I neither sell or buy used games, nor play online (save for the occasional round of Halo, that is). However, I still refused to buy a single game that had this "feature" so as not to enable companies in their continued milking of the consumer...
Legitsky wrote:
Thing is that Halo 5 was cosmetic but it was still loot boxes and rewards were locked in them so I still agree with your point, if Infintie is going to be cosmetic but with no rewarding systems locked in loot boxes, then we'll be fine.
AMA4N wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
if Infintie is going to be cosmetic but with no rewarding systems locked in loot boxes, then we'll be fine.
Cosmetic without loot boxes does not guarantee we'll be fine. Just look at Gears 5, would you like it done the way Gears 5 has implemented it's egregious cash grab ?
eviltedi wrote:
AMA4N wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
if Infintie is going to be cosmetic but with no rewarding systems locked in loot boxes, then we'll be fine.
Cosmetic without loot boxes does not guarantee we'll be fine. Just look at Gears 5, would you like it done the way Gears 5 has implemented it's egregious cash grab ?
Gears 5 actually wasn't cosmetic even though they did say it is but actually wasn't. Yeah only thing I didn't like about gears 5 is that it's broken, lack of content and I agree with you on microtransactions.
Celestis wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Maybe some people just despise the mere concept of microtransactions and refuse to support them in any way, shape or form? It's their prerogative to vote with their wallet if they want them completely gone from AAA gaming.

I mean, back in the day, EA had these online passes, where you'd get a one-time-use key to activate online features, to try and suppress reselling of used games. This had zero effect on me, since I neither sell or buy used games, nor play online (save for the occasional round of Halo, that is). However, I still refused to buy a single game that had this "feature" so as not to enable companies in their continued milking of the consumer...
Did I say at any point that people are not free to make their own decisions? I said that people are jumping to conclusions, claiming that microstransactions will ruin Halo Infinite. We do not even know how they will work just yet. For all we know, the microtransactions could be E-Sports team weapon skins.
Legitsky wrote:
This.

If somebody wants to pay 10 bucks for some digital armor...be my guest.
Besides: I'm fine with a REQ-like system for Warzone, if that would return. It doesn't have a place in regular multi if you ask me, but I'm fine with it being part of the game.
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Glad you agree. I don't think microtransactions are the spawn of Satan the way people make them out to be.
AMA4N wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
AMA4N wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Gears 5 actually wasn't cosmetic even though they did say it is but actually wasn't. Yeah only thing I didn't like about gears 5 is that it's broken, lack of content and I agree with you on microtransactions.
Gears 5 is an egregious cosmetic cash grab in a full priced game. Don't know why you think it is not a cosmetic cash grab. I don't want Halo to be like it in any way.
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Glad you agree. I don't think microtransactions are the spawn of Satan the way people make them out to be.
It really all depends on the implementation , one things for certain though , this console generation has seen an overall decline in content and quality in our games , one could certainly attribute a healthy link to micro transactions for this trend .
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
It really all depends on the implementation , one things for certain though , this console generation has seen an overall decline in content and quality in our games , one could certainly attribute a healthy link to micro transactions for this trend .
Yeah, 8th generation was underwhelming, you see in the 7th generation, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii all sold really well. In 8th, wii U was a failure, xbox one had bad sales due to their reveal event, lack of exclusives and all of their games on PC. Even though Ps4 sold really well, still wasn't convincing to buy at launch.

Let's hope 9th generation does a lot better than 8th.
AMA4N wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
Yeah, 8th generation was underwhelming, you see in the 7th generation, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii all sold really well. In 8th, wii U was a failure, xbox one had bad sales due to their reveal event, lack of exclusives and all of their games on PC. Even though Ps4 sold really well, still wasn't convincing to buy at launch.

Let's hope 9th generation does a lot better than 8th.
It won't , because micro transactions, it really is that simple, it's not about the platforms at all it's about the games , and frankly modern day AAA gaming just plain sucks
Legitsky wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Legitsky wrote:
I will agree that console gaming has taken a drastic nose dive in the past few years.
look its terrible that microtransactions have to be added into the game, I myself never really bought them in H5. I liked warzone but after I emptied all my valuable cards I never touched that playlist again. I myself dont care to much about armor customization because I love halo for the competitive aspect. However if they where to do something like they did in halo 3 odst and the vidmaster stuff that would be very cool.
Smh, microtransactions doesn't necessarily mean loot boxes. It could just be map packs or campaign DLC. And even if it isn't you're delusional if you expected the game to not have in game purchases. Games like Titfanfall 2 and even 343's own Halo 4 had armors you could buy flat out, but still had a plethora of things to unlock in-game. Would I prefer if the game didn't have microtransactions? Of course. But that isn't realistic for a AAA multiplayer title in 2020, regardless of developer.
some people just seem to don't get it. even if MTs are just cosmetic. this means the stuff locked behind MTs was activly cut from the game to be resold for more money (especially when on day 1 there are already MTs). also games with MT practices have to design a store and create an urge for people to buy them. very often the MTs are "in your face" to remind people they shoud spend money.
to create all this takes away development time which could go into gameplay. also often gameplay to unlock things gets more grindy to make spending money look even more atractive. even if all things are just cosmetic, games are designed to sell MTs and often they even are designed to be less fun to unlock things by playing the game.
i think the nosedive in quality games took in recent years is in part to the MT epedemic
WSerg wrote:
some people just seem to don't get it. even if MTs are just cosmetic. this means the stuff locked behind MTs was activly cut from the game to be resold for more money (especially when on day 1 there are already MTs). also games with MT practices have to design a store and create an urge for people to buy them. very often the MTs are "in your face" to remind people they shoud spend money.
to create all this takes away development time which could go into gameplay. also often gameplay to unlock things gets more grindy to make spending money look even more atractive. even if all things are just cosmetic, games are designed to sell MTs and often they even are designed to be less fun to unlock things by playing the game.
i think the nosedive in quality games took in recent years is in part to the MT epedemic
Who says that stuff has to be locked behind the MTs? Maybe that stuff will be unlockable through both the in-game currency and real-life currency.
omarlotrc wrote:
WSerg wrote:
Who says that stuff has to be locked behind the MTs? Maybe that stuff will be unlockable through both the in-game currency and real-life currency.
as soon as there is the option to pay for something, it is designed to be paid for it with real money. technically it isn't locked behind MTs, but in reality it is so much more charing and time consuming to get the in-game currency just by playing. companies don't want people to spend the in-game currency, or to get it by playing... they want real life money to be used. and therefor the game is designed to achieve that, to get people to spend money and not designed to be the best game it could possibly be
Just keep it out of the main game, main multiplayer modes, and the largest bulk of the customization experience. Let it just be weapons and vehicles specifically in warzone (assuming that returns) Or weapon skins and emblems. As for the rest, get back to credits and/or player level to “buy” or “unlock” armor and stuff like that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 9
  4. 10
  5. 11
  6. ...
  7. 12