Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Microtransactions return back, is the game ruined?

OP AMA4N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
I would be surprised if there were no microtransactions at all. I imagine there will be DLC like Gears 5. I expect Kait Diaz and company to be playable in MP for Infinite.

I also expect you will be able to purchase Reqs directly. You will be able to purchase RP with real money and buy the stuff you want directly. Instead of hoping for that ONI Scorpion, you can buy it directly. There is just too much money in it for them not to have something like this in my opinion.
It's pretty unsettling to see so much apparently changing behind the scenes at 343i this late in the dev cycle for Infinite.

The changes to what the game is meant to be seemingly have cause internal friction among the devs and 343i leadership, possibly MS is rereading their cardinal sin of overstepping their control and influence on the game and insisting that more long term for-profit avenues are built in.

It's definitely troubling, and it robs me of a lot of the optimism that I was feeling for Infinite. The whole attitude that 343i was putting forward until very recently was recalcitrance for the factors people have disliked about the Reclaimer games and earnestness in their effort to do better. That's not what I'm seeing now. I don't think they can win without that humble and gracious attitude- I think without it, they'll go back to making the game they think we as players should want instead of making the game that most of us actually do want.

This is just speculation based on the apparent turmoil, but I honestly think it bodes ill for Infinite, and possibly for Xbox Scarlett (and ultimately the whole Xbox brand) altogether. Here's hoping I'm very, very wrong.
AMA4N wrote:
Microsoft and 343 aim to get lots if money but they don't realize that they way they are doing is upsetting the fans and i heard a lot of people saying they won't buy it but what's the way for Microsoft to gets lots if money but at the same time, it doesn't upset fans. We can still fix this since we don't know much about the game.

Microsoft has gotta be aware that it could get in trouble if they do pay to win and loot boxes since they are getting investigated and loot boxes are banned in Belgium.
You act as if lootboxes have been confirmed to be in Halo Infinite, when all the information we have now points to that not being the case.

Chris Lee has said that there will be no lootboxes that you can pay real money for. Now, cynics may jump to say "but there could be lootboxes that you can purchase with in-game currency!!!" But that seems ludicrous to me. There would be no point in having lootboxes purchasable with in-game currency when you can't purchase it with real money, it defeats the whole purpose of using lootboxes for monitization.
never said loot boxes will be there, just saying it might still be but not sure till the game comes out but I'm still hyped for this game
It's pretty unsettling to see so much apparently changing behind the scenes at 343i this late in the dev cycle for Infinite.
What changes? Tim Longo's departure makes sense if he had another job offer, creative direction has already been determined at this point, additionally we've known about microtransactions since last year.
What changes? Tim Longo's departure makes sense if he had another job offer, creative direction has already been determined at this point, additionally we've known about microtransactions since last year.
Yeah i heard about it last year wasn't really worried about it that much but now we know more information about it like about the aa social experience and the investment
Must we? Can't we just go back to the days where we earned stuff instead of pulling out our wallets? This game will more than clear its investment in both raw sales and in the console sales of Project Scarlett that the game's release incentivises.

Also, what happened to DLC Expansions? Map Packs? When did Microtransactions become stand ins? The cosmetics and items within those MTs become the studio's focus of development rather than expansions because they're easier to design. I'm not saying this is the direction 343 is going but as a general trend development studios treat their microtransactions as DLC which is far more detestable and greedy than any paid DLC ever could be.

We need clarification now on what is planned before you pull the rug out from under us. Or is that the plan? Continue to ride the hype until its approaching critical mass then drop these microtransactions on us in an EA-esque bait and switch? You turned all the goodwill I had for this game in a churning sickness in my stomach, 343. Please don't screw this up. You can't ride the goodwill from the Bungie days forever and I'd rather not find out the breaking point of that community sentiment.
Must we? Can't we just go back to the days where we earned stuff instead of pulling out our wallets? This game will more than clear its investment in both raw sales and in the console sales of Project Scarlett that the game's release incentivises.
That would be amazing. I will be pleasantly surprised if that happens. I am hoping they will get rid of the loot boxes in favor of a system where you can get what you want. Players could still make purchases, but would get the reqs they want.

I think we would all like it where you earn permanent reqs and can call on the phaeton or scorpion in any game where you reach the req level. I do not see Microsoft giving up that money though.
Love it or hate it, microtransactions may very well appear for Infinite. It's simply another way for the devs to make money so they can keep supporting the game with continual content updates and patches. At the very least, I pray the system is refined where paying actual money for content has no real advantage over earning it in-game through hours of play.
I didn’t purchase one thing in Halo 5, still received all the maps. However, I thought the req system was fine and now that I make more money, if the MTX system is similar or better in Halo: Infinite I do plan on making in game purchases this time around. Mainly because I want to give back and support Halo.

Why? I feel its better to drop 100-200 dollars over the course of three years when I can on my time instead of inconveniently having to get must have map packs, like in Halo 3. I know they weren’t “must have” but let’s be honest, if you didn’t get them you got left behind because your friends had them and were playing in the new playlists.

Also I’m going to use the price of games have not risen in nearly 20years argument. Halo:CE cost just as much as Halo 5 and possibly Infinte as well 20 years later $59.99, and MTX may play are part in that.

in short I’m fine with the way Halo does MTX but not all games.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chris Lee has said that there will be no lootboxes that you can pay real money for. Now, cynics may jump to say "but there could be lootboxes that you can purchase with in-game currency!!!" But that seems ludicrous to me.
It's doubly ludicrous because a 343 rep in the official Halo Discord already said that using premium currency to buy lootboxes is the same thing as paying real money for lootboxes, and that they would not be doing that either.

This whole news about mtx in Infinite isn't news. We've known they'd have some sort of extra monetization system for months. Seems like people forgot about that though and feel like their hearing it for the first time after that recent Kotaku article.
Mtx?, not sure I have ever heard of that term. I don't think people have forgotten about it. It's more likely some people wasn't aware of it and see this as new news.

Anyway as far as I'm aware it just sounds like the micro-transactions will be similar to Reach except with the option to buy with real money too instead of just in-game currency...at least that's what it sounding like to me.
It's pretty unsettling to see so much apparently changing behind the scenes at 343i this late in the dev cycle for Infinite.The changes to what the game is meant to be seemingly have cause internal friction among the devs and 343i leadership, possibly MS is rereading their cardinal sin of overstepping their control and influence on the game and insisting that more long term for-profit avenues are built in.

It's definitely troubling, and it robs me of a lot of the optimism that I was feeling for Infinite. The whole attitude that 343i was putting forward until very recently was recalcitrance for the factors people have disliked about the Reclaimer games and earnestness in their effort to do better. That's not what I'm seeing now. I don't think they can win without that humble and gracious attitude- I think without it, they'll go back to making the game they think we as players should want instead of making the game that most of us actually do want.

This is just speculation based on the apparent turmoil, but I honestly think it bodes ill for Infinite, and possibly for Xbox Scarlett (and ultimately the whole Xbox brand) altogether. Here's hoping I'm very, very wrong.
Bold - how do we know this?? As far as we know, microtransactions might of been in day 1 of Halo infinite development. If I had to bet, I would say they were.

As far as Halo infinite having microtransactions, is anyone really THAT surprised??? Like, seriously.... I don't like them at all and wish they would go where deleted programs go, nor have I ever supported them.... but as long as there cosmetic things only and I can get x item threw in game currency, I could care less.

Again, if I had to bet, I would say Halo Infinite will end up having a system similar to Overwatch. Just keep that dumb garbage crap like character dances and such out of the game please 🙃
Halo Infinite is THE launch title for the Scarlett. If they -Yoink- it up then Xbox's next generation starts with its flagship title sinking. Idc how many whales buy into their microtransactions because if the game sells poorly then so will their console. If 343i is in touch AT ALL with the Halo fanbase then they will know this is make-or-break for the franchise. No amount of Phil Spencer PR will be able to save the Halo brand if Infinite fails and overall faith in 343i will be non-existent. Everybody making excuses for microtransactions in Infinite can bet money on what I just said.
I wouldn't say 100% the game is already ruined because of micro-transactions, but I also won't argue the fact that micro-transactions really do get a bad rep(or as EA like to put it when they were put on trail for deceiving marketing practices: 'Surprise Mechanics'). The req pack micro-transaction idea wasn't the best of ideas for Halo 5, but if you plan on giving out free dlc in your game, and if you have no other form of income outside of the base game, have to make money somehow.

For now I wouldn't say microtransctions haven't ruined Halo Infinite YET, but have to wait until launch and see what the micro-transactions are going to be.
As much as i hate micro-transactions, i understand why they implemented them. As far as we know, the game has a budget of 500 MILLION DOLLARS. sellings the game for 60 bucks isn't gonna cut it. Honestly, as long as we get a reward for beating the game on legendary *cough cough halo 5 cough*, Im perfectly fine with it. especially if its like 5 where we can unlock them by playing the game.
It isn't a good sign, but if we are to face the facts of the matter, we won't get another product like Halo complete at an upfront price.

Come to think of it, I think the market might be actively working against Halo Infinite. If Halo 3 was out today, you can bet all the armor upgrades would have been in the Req system and half of the maps and forge would not exist.
If they make Armor earned the same as Halo 5, then I’m gonna be disappointed, I want Armor to feel rewarding, not have a price tag
Sadly that's what video games have become these days the best thing they could do instead of those REQ Packs would be a Battlepass system.
That would be fair and nobody would have a advantage since there would only be skins,armor parts and more stuff like that and it's achievable for everybody that want's to achieve it.
Halo Infinite is THE launch title for the Scarlett. If they -Yoink- it up then Xbox's next generation starts with its flagship title sinking. Idc how many whales buy into their microtransactions because if the game sells poorly then so will their console. If 343i is in touch AT ALL with the Halo fanbase then they will know this is make-or-break for the franchise. No amount of Phil Spencer PR will be able to save the Halo brand if Infinite fails and overall faith in 343i will be non-existent. Everybody making excuses for microtransactions in Infinite can bet money on what I just said.
Well here is the thing, Whales have been known to dup over a thousand dollars on a single game. As I responded to one YouTube video about the Apex controversy on why they can't just cater to those that spend ~$5 instead of those whales, but when you put it in a single whale that drops a thousand dollars is worth more than a hundred players that only spend several bucks.

Same thing applies, A Single whale is worth more than 10 players who bought a $70 or $80 game. What a dark age we live in.
Well here is the thing, Whales have been known to dup over a thousand dollars on a single game. As I responded to one YouTube video about the Apex controversy on why they can't just cater to those that spend ~$5 instead of those whales, but when you put it in a single whale that drops a thousand dollars is worth more than a hundred players that only spend several bucks.

Same thing applies, A Single whale is worth more than 10 players who bought a $70 or $80 game. What a dark age we live in.
But Xbox has tied their console launch to this game. The success of their next generation hinges on it. They could get 100,000 dollars from Infinite whales but no matter how much they spend on the game it will directly affect console sales numbers. If Sony announces TLOU2 or GOW2 as a launch title for the PS5 Xbox's next generation is done before it even starts. Unless 343 and Phil Spencer don't care about brand integrity anymore this is the worst move they can make right out of the gate.

But Xbox has tied their console launch to this game. The success of their next generation hinges on it. They could get 100,000 dollars from Infinite whales but no matter how much they spend on the game it will directly affect console sales numbers. If Sony announces TLOU2 or GOW2 as a launch title for the PS5 Xbox's next generation is done before it even starts. Unless 343 and Phil Spencer don't care about brand integrity anymore this is the worst move they can make right out of the gate.
Well what is brand integrity these days? The brand Fallout now has as much worth as Mass Effect.
Just saying that the objectives of the industry no longer are aligned with the goals of most players. The industry has found a way to make more money by catering to a select few, and that few sorts itself out from the rest of us who just want a good fun game that is finished and complete when we buy it for full price.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10