Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Microtransactions return back, is the game ruined?

OP AMA4N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 10
As much as i hate micro-transactions, i understand why they implemented them. As far as we know, the game has a budget of 500 MILLION DOLLARS. sellings the game for 60 bucks isn't gonna cut it. Honestly, as long as we get a reward for beating the game on legendary *cough cough halo 5 cough*, Im perfectly fine with it. especially if its like 5 where we can unlock them by playing the game.
As I have yet to actually bother with the ridiculous budget, I seriously doubt that number is development budget only. If it infact is the development budget, and not massively inflated by a large marketing piece, then if they actually need MTs, after making a game on that budget, they really haven't done a good job now have they?
Halo Infinite is THE launch title for the Scarlett. If they -Yoink- it up then Xbox's next generation starts with its flagship title sinking. Idc how many whales buy into their microtransactions because if the game sells poorly then so will their console. If 343i is in touch AT ALL with the Halo fanbase then they will know this is make-or-break for the franchise. No amount of Phil Spencer PR will be able to save the Halo brand if Infinite fails and overall faith in 343i will be non-existent. Everybody making excuses for microtransactions in Infinite can bet money on what I just said.
Well here is the thing, Whales have been known to dup over a thousand dollars on a single game. As I responded to one YouTube video about the Apex controversy on why they can't just cater to those that spend ~$5 instead of those whales, but when you put it in a single whale that drops a thousand dollars is worth more than a hundred players that only spend several bucks.

Same thing applies, A Single whale is worth more than 10 players who bought a $70 or $80 game. What a dark age we live in.
But Xbox has tied their console launch to this game. The success of their next generation hinges on it. They could get 100,000 dollars from Infinite whales but no matter how much they spend on the game it will directly affect console sales numbers. If Sony announces TLOU2 or GOW2 as a launch title for the PS5 Xbox's next generation is done before it even starts. Unless 343 and Phil Spencer don't care about brand integrity anymore this is the worst move they can make right out of the gate.
Well what is brand integrity these days? The brand Fallout now has as much worth as Mass Effect.
Just saying that the objectives of the industry no longer are aligned with the goals of most players. The industry has found a way to make more money by catering to a select few, and that few sorts itself out from the rest of us who just want a good fun game that is finished and complete when we buy it for full price.
And yet since micro-transactions were introduced in both Fallout and Mass Effect...both franchises have been getting worse since they were added...the same has been happening with Halo.
At this point 343i have been lucky because if they continue to add them then it's only a matter of time till 343i goes too far and the series will continue to decline to a point where the franchise may never recover. If 343i want to continue with Halo in the harsh industry then they need to respect the fans.
ronnie42 wrote:
Halo Infinite is THE launch title for the Scarlett. If they -Yoink- it up then Xbox's next generation starts with its flagship title sinking. Idc how many whales buy into their microtransactions because if the game sells poorly then so will their console. If 343i is in touch AT ALL with the Halo fanbase then they will know this is make-or-break for the franchise. No amount of Phil Spencer PR will be able to save the Halo brand if Infinite fails and overall faith in 343i will be non-existent. Everybody making excuses for microtransactions in Infinite can bet money on what I just said.
Well here is the thing, Whales have been known to dup over a thousand dollars on a single game. As I responded to one YouTube video about the Apex controversy on why they can't just cater to those that spend ~$5 instead of those whales, but when you put it in a single whale that drops a thousand dollars is worth more than a hundred players that only spend several bucks.

Same thing applies, A Single whale is worth more than 10 players who bought a $70 or $80 game. What a dark age we live in.
But Xbox has tied their console launch to this game. The success of their next generation hinges on it. They could get 100,000 dollars from Infinite whales but no matter how much they spend on the game it will directly affect console sales numbers. If Sony announces TLOU2 or GOW2 as a launch title for the PS5 Xbox's next generation is done before it even starts. Unless 343 and Phil Spencer don't care about brand integrity anymore this is the worst move they can make right out of the gate.
Well what is brand integrity these days? The brand Fallout now has as much worth as Mass Effect.
Just saying that the objectives of the industry no longer are aligned with the goals of most players. The industry has found a way to make more money by catering to a select few, and that few sorts itself out from the rest of us who just want a good fun game that is finished and complete when we buy it for full price.
And yet since micro-transactions were introduced in both Fallout and Mass Effect...both franchises have been getting worse since they were added...the same has been happening with Halo.
At this point 343i have been lucky because if they continue to add them then it's only a matter of time till 343i goes too far and the series will continue to decline to a point where the franchise may never recover. If 343i want to continue with Halo in the harsh industry then they need to respect the fans.
Microtransactions are profitable but eventually there will be a burst. There will be so many games and so many options people will eventually decide which one they will spend money on and which ones they won't. At some point the overall sales will be so low that it won't matter if MT's are in the game because the game's lifespan will be short, the post launch profits will drop, and the overall community will be small. At that point MT's will have to come back out in order to get the number of sales back up and have the lifespan of the game to be longer, and the number of players back up. I'm just not sure if we are too that point or not. I would like to see no microtransactions in Halo at all. No req packs, no cosmetic paint jobs, nothing but I know that isn't going to happen.
As long as it's cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay then I'm completely fine with it.
I really, and I mean REEEAAALY Hate microtransactions infecting modern day video games. Halo's inclusion of them in Halo 5 just sucked because it got rid of the satisfaction and the feeling of pride you would get from working really hard for a cool looking piece of armor. I still remember earning achievement after achievement to unlock the katana in Halo 3. It felt great earning something you truly worked for. It's not just the aspect of getting armor, but seeing someone else with the armor. When I saw someone with the katana, I thought "Wow, that guy spent a lot of time getting the Gamerscore to earn that armor piece. I want to get it too." I too miss the days of when you didn't have the option to pay for something, and when you had to actually work for it. However, I soon realized that microtransactions aren't going away. It's pretty sad, but on the bright side, There are still games that are being made that have the old school, traditional way of unlocking things such as Cuphead and Sonic Mania. To answer the question of if it will ruin Halo Infinite, I'll say no. As long as it doesn't badly affect the gameplay, I'll be able to enjoy Halo Infinite.
Microtransactions are here to stay, and I am ok with them if they are not pay-to-win and if 343 uses the money earned through req packs to add free DLCs.
ronnie42 wrote:

They already went too far, Req packs are a thing.
Micro transactions don’t belong in any game that you pay full price for. If a game I want has micro transactions, I buy a used copy. It makes next to no difference in the grand scheme of things, but I like to know that my money didn’t go to support what I consider disgraceful business practices
I understand frustration with micro transactions, but we can't freak out the second we see those words. From what i've heard the transactions will be based on in game currency rather than real money. In other words you are earning the currency by playing the game. It is the REQ system that was in halo 5. That being said, if they want to make it available to buy armor or anything like that, so be it. I personally get more satisfaction out of earning my armor through gameplay rather than buying it but others just want the best.

You can't blame them for wanting to make money.

Just my two cents. Curious to see if anyone agrees with my stance on this.
ronnie42 wrote:

They already went too far, Req packs are a thing.
req packs went too far, if Infinite does right with microtransactions then it'll be fine.

I'm hoping Xbox and 343i aren't so arrogant as to think the brand will sell itself considering their latest mainline game: Halo 5, was one of the worst selling games in the franchise. I don't think they know that the community doesn't really trust them when it comes to Halo and since the success of the next Xbox console more or less depends on this next installment in the franchise they don't have a whole lot of room for error. It doesn't matter what the objectives of the industry are in this case because more than the game is at stake here: the next generation for Xbox is on the line. Having 343's third mainline Halo outing flop with the fanbase is not healthy for the franchise or the Xbox brand and can drastically affect the console's standing with gamers. Unless they find an objectively fair and honest approach to this that pleases even the most adamant non-MTX gamer, the Scarlett may very well find itself in the same state the Xbox One was in for most of this generation.
I understand frustration with micro transactions, but we can't freak out the second we see those words. From what i've heard the transactions will be based on in game currency rather than real money. In other words you are earning the currency by playing the game. It is the REQ system that was in halo 5. That being said, if they want to make it available to buy armor or anything like that, so be it. I personally get more satisfaction out of earning my armor through gameplay rather than buying it but others just want the best.

Most people freak out about this because of the recent examples of micro transactions. The wording that they use in the job position is also worrisome because it makes it seem like the game is being tailored to psychologically mess with player impulses, which could result in an obscene amount of grinding like in GTA V's online mode. I could be very, very wrong and I hope I am very, very wrong because I want this game and the xbox to succeed. I got everything in Halo 5 without spending a dime on REQ's (barring a couple special packs that weren't purchasable using REQ points at the time), but I understood where people were coming from when they said they wanted to earn armor rather than get them from a randomized pack. I received and still wear Achilles armor in the game and I just wish there were more than 3-4 armors that you could receive by achieving things in the game/community.

Most people freak out about this because of the recent examples of micro transactions. The wording that they use in the job position is also worrisome because it makes it seem like the game is being tailored to psychologically mess with player impulses, which could result in an obscene amount of grinding like in GTA V's online mode. I could be very, very wrong and I hope I am very, very wrong because I want this game and the xbox to succeed. I got everything in Halo 5 without spending a dime on REQ's (barring a couple special packs that weren't purchasable using REQ points at the time), but I understood where people were coming from when they said they wanted to earn armor rather than get them from a randomized pack. I received and still wear Achilles armor in the game and I just wish there were more than 3-4 armors that you could receive by achieving things in the game/community.
Like you, I earned all of my armor, visors, etc. I'm also one of the rare people (it seems) who enjoyed halo 5 (Multiplayer). I can understand the frustration in having to grind the game only to have to unlock a pack one at a time and hope you get something you like. Maybe they could make armor unlockable through certain acheivments/bounties that you can choose to pursue rather than hope you get the helmet you want at level 98.

I REALLLY REALLY hope this game is everything we want. If it has "micro transactions," so be it. At the end of the day, if the game plays well and its a fun experience, i will be happy.

We need to realize that these companies need to make money. Its not fair to criticize companies for wanting to make extra cash. Its a new time, its not the same halo 2 days where myspace was the only social platform. Micro transactions are here to stay. I do believe that there is a way to do them where they are not overkill to the game. Like i said, i just want the core game to be awesome!
ronnie42 wrote:

Microtransactions are profitable but eventually there will be a burst. There will be so many games and so many options people will eventually decide which one they will spend money on and which ones they won't. At some point the overall sales will be so low that it won't matter if MT's are in the game because the game's lifespan will be short, the post launch profits will drop, and the overall community will be small. At that point MT's will have to come back out in order to get the number of sales back up and have the lifespan of the game to be longer, and the number of players back up. I'm just not sure if we are too that point or not. I would like to see no microtransactions in Halo at all. No req packs, no cosmetic paint jobs, nothing but I know that isn't going to happen.
Sure but that won't encourage me to like or ever pay for them. I've seen people say that we should make a stand against them and yet I've never been interested in paying for them then I keep hearing people claiming to have spent £1000's on them.
Until such a time that the industry starts being vastly more transparent with regards to development costs and broader decision making, microtransactions can almost never really be justified in a premium game. Paid map packs weren't justifiable then anymore than MTXs are justifiable now, so trading one overreach for another is not what I would call an improvement.

Simply pointing to the development cost of any one game being X million dollars without any context is not a defense for additional monetization, especially when we start getting into weaselly psychological warfare tactics rather than upfront purchases.

Titanfall 2 is about the only AAA title I've seen that felt justified with how they've approached MTXs. They built a polished content rich game first, got screwed over by a terrible launch window, only then adding straightforward MTXs after the fact and still managed to deliver new never before seen content without having to play catch up first(*cough*Forge*cough*).

As much as I don't think you can realistically argue that MTXs are a necessity, they also don't have rely on things methods that undermine otherwise good games like gambling(lootboxes) or frustrating players into spending money via tedious resource collecting and grind.

I also don't see why we have to be "reasonable" and accept microtransactions as a fact of life in premium games when these corporate entities have the absurd expectations that they must make more money than the year before, at a greater rate, every year, forever. I personally find the idea the notion that endless growth can be sustained after they already broke the seal on gambling to be far more unreasonable than asking these corporations back off the premium microtransactions.
In my opinion micro transaction like halo 5 don't ruin the game. But I prefer a game without them.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Sure but that won't encourage me to like or ever pay for them. I've seen people say that we should make a stand against them and yet I've never been interested in paying for them then I keep hearing people claiming to have spent £1000's on them.
Oh, I'm not encouraging anyone to like them or pay for them. I'm just hoping that the natural life span of MT's in games is going to be a short one because people will stop buying games with MT's in them. Then the people who continue to buy the games with MT's will have to decide which game they want to spend the extra cash on and which ones they won't. Once enough players have decided not to buy the game and the MT sales drop off from players prioritizing other games, hopefully game publishers and developers will recognize the MT's aren't a good business strategy to continue.

People who spend 1000's on MT's in games are fools. The one reason that people spend so much are the youtube content creaters who publish videos of opening random packs. Those videos anger me greatly....
Karim wrote:
Microtransactions are here to stay, and I am ok with them if they are not pay-to-win and if 343 uses the money earned through req packs to add free DLCs.
So, it was only free in the sense that those who chose to pay for reqs, payed for the DLC for everyone else.

Adding to that, if the money from REQs wouldn't have been there, i.e few / no one buying them, then there'd have been no "free DLC".

Someone else just payed for you.
Karim wrote:
Sure some of the “free” dlc was new and interesting, but a lot of it was stuff that should have been there at launch. Halo 5 was released with an incomplete multiplayer, then slowly finished to create the illusion of free content
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Oh, I'm not encouraging anyone to like them or pay for them. I'm just hoping that the natural life span of MT's in games is going to be a short one because people will stop buying games with MT's in them. Then the people who continue to buy the games with MT's will have to decide which game they want to spend the extra cash on and which ones they won't. Once enough players have decided not to buy the game and the MT sales drop off from players prioritizing other games, hopefully game publishers and developers will recognize the MT's aren't a good business strategy to continue.

People who spend 1000's on MT's in games are fools. The one reason that people spend so much are the youtube content creaters who publish videos of opening random packs. Those videos anger me greatly....
Yeh figured as much, just mean I'm the sort of person who is highly unlikely to ever buy a pack...plus told friends off for doing it a few times but they generally learn not to. lol

I doubt micro-transactions will go away any time soon but I wish it would but I guess it's at least it's not as bad as 'cloud gaming' exclusives because the franchise would be in ruins if that ever happened. To be fair I've had what feels like a 1000 lock box's saved up from in-game currency/exp and could have made that video myself since after a while all the unlocks leads to easier RP in H5 and I'm so glad I'm done with H5 since I hated the loot box system.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 10