Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Microtransactions return back, is the game ruined?

OP AMA4N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 12
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Halo Infinite is THE launch title for the Scarlett. If they -Yoink- it up then Xbox's next generation starts with its flagship title sinking. Idc how many whales buy into their microtransactions because if the game sells poorly then so will their console. If 343i is in touch AT ALL with the Halo fanbase then they will know this is make-or-break for the franchise. No amount of Phil Spencer PR will be able to save the Halo brand if Infinite fails and overall faith in 343i will be non-existent. Everybody making excuses for microtransactions in Infinite can bet money on what I just said.
Well here is the thing, Whales have been known to dup over a thousand dollars on a single game. As I responded to one YouTube video about the Apex controversy on why they can't just cater to those that spend ~$5 instead of those whales, but when you put it in a single whale that drops a thousand dollars is worth more than a hundred players that only spend several bucks.

Same thing applies, A Single whale is worth more than 10 players who bought a $70 or $80 game. What a dark age we live in.
But Xbox has tied their console launch to this game. The success of their next generation hinges on it. They could get 100,000 dollars from Infinite whales but no matter how much they spend on the game it will directly affect console sales numbers. If Sony announces TLOU2 or GOW2 as a launch title for the PS5 Xbox's next generation is done before it even starts. Unless 343 and Phil Spencer don't care about brand integrity anymore this is the worst move they can make right out of the gate.
Microtransactions are profitable but eventually there will be a burst. There will be so many games and so many options people will eventually decide which one they will spend money on and which ones they won't. At some point the overall sales will be so low that it won't matter if MT's are in the game because the game's lifespan will be short, the post launch profits will drop, and the overall community will be small. At that point MT's will have to come back out in order to get the number of sales back up and have the lifespan of the game to be longer, and the number of players back up. I'm just not sure if we are too that point or not. I would like to see no microtransactions in Halo at all. No req packs, no cosmetic paint jobs, nothing but I know that isn't going to happen.
Sure but that won't encourage me to like or ever pay for them. I've seen people say that we should make a stand against them and yet I've never been interested in paying for them then I keep hearing people claiming to have spent £1000's on them.
Oh, I'm not encouraging anyone to like them or pay for them. I'm just hoping that the natural life span of MT's in games is going to be a short one because people will stop buying games with MT's in them. Then the people who continue to buy the games with MT's will have to decide which game they want to spend the extra cash on and which ones they won't. Once enough players have decided not to buy the game and the MT sales drop off from players prioritizing other games, hopefully game publishers and developers will recognize the MT's aren't a good business strategy to continue.

People who spend 1000's on MT's in games are fools. The one reason that people spend so much are the youtube content creaters who publish videos of opening random packs. Those videos anger me greatly....
Yeh figured as much, just mean I'm the sort of person who is highly unlikely to ever buy a pack...plus told friends off for doing it a few times but they generally learn not to. lol

I doubt micro-transactions will go away any time soon but I wish it would but I guess it's at least it's not as bad as 'cloud gaming' exclusives because the franchise would be in ruins if that ever happened. To be fair I've had what feels like a 1000 lock box's saved up from in-game currency/exp and could have made that video myself since after a while all the unlocks leads to easier RP in H5 and I'm so glad I'm done with H5 since I hated the loot box system.
It was a miserable invasive system. I started a thread where I discussed extensively about how it isn't enjoyable in any way and detracts from the game overall. Without duplicating my opinions here, I wouldn't buy a req pack just because I don't like them and don't find any enjoyment in opening them. I also hate the stupid confetti and cheer when you open packs. I don't even like opening the packs I "earn" by playing the game. It is more of a burden as opposed to a reward.
In a way, yes. Financially lucrative microtransactions are inherently invasive and disruptive. If they weren't, they wouldn't make much money because people wouldn't see any reason to pay money for them. From a short term business perspective, it's a good idea. But it's horrible for PR and the long term, by making even more people speak against you and nitpick every action you make, as well as heavily scrutinizing every game you make. Microsoft is gambling they won't end up in an EA situation, so they can make some easy money off of people with poor self-control. Just make a genuinely good game and play an honest game in the business world simply by putting out something better than your competitor's product.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Halo Infinite is THE launch title for the Scarlett. If they -Yoink- it up then Xbox's next generation starts with its flagship title sinking. Idc how many whales buy into their microtransactions because if the game sells poorly then so will their console. If 343i is in touch AT ALL with the Halo fanbase then they will know this is make-or-break for the franchise. No amount of Phil Spencer PR will be able to save the Halo brand if Infinite fails and overall faith in 343i will be non-existent. Everybody making excuses for microtransactions in Infinite can bet money on what I just said.
Well here is the thing, Whales have been known to dup over a thousand dollars on a single game. As I responded to one YouTube video about the Apex controversy on why they can't just cater to those that spend ~$5 instead of those whales, but when you put it in a single whale that drops a thousand dollars is worth more than a hundred players that only spend several bucks.

Same thing applies, A Single whale is worth more than 10 players who bought a $70 or $80 game. What a dark age we live in.
But Xbox has tied their console launch to this game. The success of their next generation hinges on it. They could get 100,000 dollars from Infinite whales but no matter how much they spend on the game it will directly affect console sales numbers. If Sony announces TLOU2 or GOW2 as a launch title for the PS5 Xbox's next generation is done before it even starts. Unless 343 and Phil Spencer don't care about brand integrity anymore this is the worst move they can make right out of the gate.
Microtransactions are profitable but eventually there will be a burst. There will be so many games and so many options people will eventually decide which one they will spend money on and which ones they won't. At some point the overall sales will be so low that it won't matter if MT's are in the game because the game's lifespan will be short, the post launch profits will drop, and the overall community will be small. At that point MT's will have to come back out in order to get the number of sales back up and have the lifespan of the game to be longer, and the number of players back up. I'm just not sure if we are too that point or not. I would like to see no microtransactions in Halo at all. No req packs, no cosmetic paint jobs, nothing but I know that isn't going to happen.
Sure but that won't encourage me to like or ever pay for them. I've seen people say that we should make a stand against them and yet I've never been interested in paying for them then I keep hearing people claiming to have spent £1000's on them.
It was a miserable invasive system. I started a thread where I discussed extensively about how it isn't enjoyable in any way and detracts from the game overall. Without duplicating my opinions here, I wouldn't buy a req pack just because I don't like them and don't find any enjoyment in opening them. I also hate the stupid confetti and cheer when you open packs. I don't even like opening the packs I "earn" by playing the game. It is more of a burden as opposed to a reward.
Yeh I agree with you. I find it intrusive and generally frustrating to deal with. I kind of feel like I've discussed quite a fair amount in the forums about this too but either way it's important to let 343i know that these things shouldn't even exist on a Halo game. Yeh the confetti is weird....it's like they lower the age rating for younger audiences and it feels like the confetti is used to encourage gambling which is concerning.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

Yeh I agree with you. I find it intrusive and generally frustrating to deal with. I kind of feel like I've discussed quite a fair amount in the forums about this too but either way it's important to let 343i know that these things shouldn't even exist on a Halo game. Yeh the confetti is weird....it's like they lower the age rating for younger audiences and it feels like the confetti is used to encourage gambling which is concerning.
You know I was just thinking about this topic again and came up with a different thought in regards to their "AAA experience including but not limited to microtransactions" line. I can think of a lot of small developers or indy companies who make free to play games that utilize MT's to make a profit but those are a far cry from what I think of when I think of a AAA game. In my honest opinion, AAA games don't utilize MT's. The best experience I can hope for in a AAA game is not having MT's. No MT's for weapons, skins, paintjobs, or any other use. The "AAA experience" is enough content, game modes, clean detailed graphics, a great campaign story, and excellent gameplay. I don't want my AAA game to feel like I'm playing a cheap FTP game from a small developer and at the core of the issue Halo 5 feels just like that; a small developer making a FTP game.
grow up, there is no possibility of any big gaming company to remove microtransactions from their products because they simply make more money, our only hope is that they heard our criticism in the way they implement their transaction system so it doesn't seem too intrusive
grow up, there is no possibility of any big gaming company to remove microtransactions from their products because they simply make more money, our only hope is that they heard our criticism in the way they implement their transaction system so it doesn't seem too intrusive
i hope it does not ruin the armor and personalitation like it did in halo 5
So time to outgrow video games as it is child's thing now?

As I have became older I stopped playing a lot of video games and don't play them as much as I used to, but I don't believe because it is that I am now more mature, it is simply that I see a lot of the games and what they have thrown in for monitizable features, and just recall what we used to have in newer titles which was a whole lot more. The adage I used to put in a cheat code, now I put in my credit card number applies entirely to the video game industry of today.

No I didn't outgrow video games, video games just made a turn for the worse. The newer ones are not fun, however that is by design unless you start pumping money and then they no longer become affordable.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:

You know I was just thinking about this topic again and came up with a different thought in regards to their "AAA experience including but not limited to microtransactions" line. I can think of a lot of small developers or indy companies who make free to play games that utilize MT's to make a profit but those are a far cry from what I think of when I think of a AAA game. In my honest opinion, AAA games don't utilize MT's. The best experience I can hope for in a AAA game is not having MT's. No MT's for weapons, skins, paintjobs, or any other use. The "AAA experience" is enough content, game modes, clean detailed graphics, a great campaign story, and excellent gameplay. I don't want my AAA game to feel like I'm playing a cheap FTP game from a small developer and at the core of the issue Halo 5 feels just like that; a small developer making a FTP game.
Really depends on how it's marketed. I've tested some games that I've liked and games I didn't care for and well sometimes it's a numbers game since any game can be fun or bad and yet get ignored due to certain circumstances out of their control but yeh I can understand why smaller companies need to use it since it's hard to promote a game, even harder to get people to buy a game. Plus it really depends on the platforms too since many games seem to end up seeming like there none-existent at launch due to poor advertising on certain platforms so a lot of smaller company games go unnoticed. Though for a AAA game like Halo...they don't really need it, there are plenty of ways out there to save money if there concerned about raising costs while gaining the same results.
I fail to see how "growing up" is going to fix the issues. You're just a quitter!
AMA4N wrote:
Bruh, we kept begging please no microtransactions and loot boxes. I miss those days where yoy can earn rewards instead of getting rewards in req packs. Heard a news where it's likely to be the same as Halo 5. I really have a bad feeling about Infinite.

Now I'm even more worried about Halo Infinite's multiplayer. At least gears 5 won't have season pass and loot boxes and a better system. I still believe that 343 doesn't listen to the community but they don't listen about the microtransactions.

"Microtransactions has no place in halo" even hardy lebel the creator of the MP says that and that's. video from act mans video.

I hope this isn't true, i just hate this microtransaction system and it sucked in halo 5.

Article: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-infinite-will-have-aaa-player-investment-expe/1100-6469172/
Ok ima be completely honest here. One I get the big concern with "Microtransactions" espicialy when the concern is with pay to win mechanics. First off lets begin with yes halo 5 had pay to win features for its Warzone feature. Yes we got free map dlc for halo 5. I was actualy quite happy about that. Not so much pay to win features but free maps yes. But lets keep in mind that if the Microtransactions are completely cosemetic aka armors and visual effects or fancy looking things on ones character that is purly Cosemetic it shouldn't be a problem. Now if it does happen to bring back pay to win features then by al means you will have every right to be upset. But lets keep in mind that there is a bigger issue over micro transactions. And that is making sure the classic style of gameplay and mechanics that existed in Halo ce-3 make a return not the new school cod mechanics such as sprint ADS ect. Bring back Classic halo gameplay
AMA4N wrote:
Bruh, we kept begging please no microtransactions and loot boxes. I miss those days where yoy can earn rewards instead of getting rewards in req packs. Heard a news where it's likely to be the same as Halo 5. I really have a bad feeling about Infinite.

Now I'm even more worried about Halo Infinite's multiplayer. At least gears 5 won't have season pass and loot boxes and a better system. I still believe that 343 doesn't listen to the community but they don't listen about the microtransactions.

"Microtransactions has no place in halo" even hardy lebel the creator of the MP says that and that's. video from act mans video.

I hope this isn't true, i just hate this microtransaction system and it sucked in halo 5.

Article: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-infinite-will-have-aaa-player-investment-expe/1100-6469172/
Ok ima be completely honest here. One I get the big concern with "Microtransactions" espicialy when the concern is with pay to win mechanics. First off lets begin with yes halo 5 had pay to win features for its Warzone feature. Yes we got free map dlc for halo 5. I was actualy quite happy about that. Not so much pay to win features but free maps yes. But lets keep in mind that if the Microtransactions are completely cosemetic aka armors and visual effects or fancy looking things on ones character that is purly Cosemetic it shouldn't be a problem. Now if it does happen to bring back pay to win features then by al means you will have every right to be upset. But lets keep in mind that there is a bigger issue over micro transactions. And that is making sure the classic style of gameplay and mechanics that existed in Halo ce-3 make a return not the new school cod mechanics such as sprint ADS ect. Bring back Classic halo gameplay
The whole "purely cosmetic" argument is tired and played out. Yeah, having to shovel out money to buy a skin is probably the least obtrusive way to make a MTX system, but some games have this system to this day and it has been shown to be just as manipulative as regular MTX.

Take Overwatch for example. It's a game that you have to pay for to play. While their lootbox and MTX systems are solely for sprays, skins and the like, getting a certain skin from an event is nigh impossible if you're like me and don't play it that often. This dangling carrot tactic encourages the spending of real money because if you see something you like but don't have the time to grind for it you plug in your credit card and get it no problem.

I fail to see how the importance of old-school mechanics returning overshadows the importance of keeping micro-transactions out of the game considering this system could affect the overall population and life-cycle of said game. In fact, micro-transactions could be the deciding factor for a good portion of potential players not buying the game since the last mainline outing for 343 was a blunder in the Halo community.

TLDR, it doesn't matter how the game plays if nobody buys the game due to the appearance of the micro-transaction system.
343 is making millions so there is no reason for this kind of -Yoink-. Looks like I’ll have to reconsider pre ordering it. It was so much smarter and better when you could earn new things through playing matchmaking or earning achievements, not loot boxes.
I think this video about Halo 5 explains many feelings about the news (mine included).

We all know this is now standard industry practice but the industry has already been proved to be on less than stable footing before (see 1980).
The good thing is if you play enough fps games, over time you come to the realizion that MTs are just digital fluff that has no value whatsoever and isn't included for the benefit of the player.
Halo has sold out under 343i therefore my fan loyalty is equally up for sale . It is currently in a very weak position as a franchise regardless of any narrative the corporate bots try to spin on it,
Infinite really is their last chance to regain our trust and confidence. But I'm sure the halo franchise can't be revived from its current position.
The good thing is if you play enough fps games, over time you come to the realizion that MTs are just digital fluff that has no value whatsoever and isn't included for the benefit of the player.
Halo has sold out under 343i therefore my fan loyalty is equally up for sale . It is currently in a very weak position as a franchise regardless of any narrative the corporate bots try to spin on it,
Infinite really is their last chance to regain our trust and confidence. But I'm sure the halo franchise can't be revived from its current position.
Everyone said that after H4. THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE! Especially when it came to MCC (even if that wasn't entirely their fault) and than Halo 5. Frankly? I had many doubts even before H4 was released due to reveal trailer with the new art direction. Than the game got awesome reviews from basically everyone though, so I gave it a try. Who knows me knows that I regretted it.

Since than I also got the MCC and H5, but only used, played on secondary profiles and at least a few weeks after the launch. I also used to read all books and comics, but after H4 and Escalation I just lost interest. Even H5 Forge on PC (which admittedly was awesome by it self) got ruined by half yoinked updates, the terrible Win10 store launcher/updater and H5's own geometry breaking gameplay. All hope is gone now! Hell! If it wasn't for HW2 and my love for RTS I doubt I would be here talking about Hi!

So I don't know how you guys are doing this, staying loyal to Halo until now I mean. For me H4 already was the last chance. H5G? A joke and an insult to the memory of the real series. Nothing more. Halo Infinite is not the "last chance", because Halo is already dead and never will be at Bungie's era levels of popularity ever again. What 343i is doing now is rebuilding everything from the ground up, including the community imho.
Everyone said that after H4. THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE! Especially when it came to MCC (even if that wasn't entirely their fault) and than Halo 5. Frankly? I had many doubts even before H4 was released due to reveal trailer with the new art direction. Than the game got awesome reviews from basically everyone though, so I gave it a try. Who knows me knows that I regretted it.

Since than I also got the MCC and H5, but only used, played on secondary profiles and at least a few weeks after the launch. I also used to read all books and comics, but after H4 and Escalation I just lost interest. Even H5 Forge on PC (which admittedly was awesome by it self) got ruined by half yoinked updates, the terrible Win10 store launcher/updater and H5's own geometry breaking gameplay. All hope is gone now! Hell! If it wasn't for HW2 and my love for RTS I doubt I would be here talking about Hi!

So I don't know how you guys are doing this, staying loyal to Halo until now I mean. For me H4 already was the last chance. H5G? A joke and an insult to the memory of the real series. Nothing more. Halo Infinite is not the "last chance", because Halo is already dead and never will be at Bungie's era levels of popularity ever again. What 343i is doing now is rebuilding everything from the ground up, including the community imho.
True, Bungie halo is absolutely dead or at least on life support with the mcc.
I suppose I should rephrase my statement and say the 343i modern version of halo is on its last chance, well with me at least. I think the bungie days are well and truly over even if they able produce the perfect game. Modern AAA gaming is just so 'Meh' nowdays it's all about new and inventive ways of relieving the player out of cash at any and every opportunity.
AMA4N wrote:

The whole "purely cosmetic" argument is tired and played out. Yeah, having to shovel out money to buy a skin is probably the least obtrusive way to make a MTX system, but some games have this system to this day and it has been shown to be just as manipulative as regular MTX.

Take Overwatch for example. It's a game that you have to pay for to play. While their lootbox and MTX systems are solely for sprays, skins and the like, getting a certain skin from an event is nigh impossible if you're like me and don't play it that often. This dangling carrot tactic encourages the spending of real money because if you see something you like but don't have the time to grind for it you plug in your credit card and get it no problem.

I fail to see how the importance of old-school mechanics returning overshadows the importance of keeping micro-transactions out of the game considering this system could affect the overall population and life-cycle of said game. In fact, micro-transactions could be the deciding factor for a good portion of potential players not buying the game since the last mainline outing for 343 was a blunder in the Halo community.

TLDR, it doesn't matter how the game plays if nobody buys the game due to the appearance of the micro-transaction system.
I can agree with you full heartedly on the microtransactions. As having played overwatch I know firsthand what your talking about. So I can say I see why a microtransaction system is not needed. Even if its purly cosmetic as you pointed out with overwatch you make a valid point. If it ment having unlocks the way reach unlocked there armor pieces ect id be down for that. Or even if it was done through achievements like H3 did id be fine with that. As for the old school mechanics. I was simply stating that I think the overall bigger focus should be on returning halo to that unique feeling and the mechanics it had in CE- 3. As that would mean a complete removal of Microtransactions as they weren't in CE-3
AMA4N wrote:

I think both are highly important to players and the lifespan of the game as a whole. I don't enjoy playing Halo 5 multiplayer for both of these reasons. The movement makes the game feel like every other modern shooter and the micortransactions makes it feel like a cheap FTP game, especially how intrusive it is. Halo 5 does not feel or play like a AAA game. The glitches in Warzone are STILL an issue. Halo 5 just feels like the budget to make this game was tiny and the budget to fix the game was even smaller. With all the talk about the "AAA experience" I expect there is no microtransactions, no glitches, and unique gameplay.
Absolutely not, the game is not ruined.

MTX in Halo - or any game - should be expected and be no surprise to anyone. Even more so, this should cause little concern with Halo. 343 has already confirmed MONTHS ago that Infinite would not have loot boxes. This almost guarantees no pay to win. I imagine there will be an enormous amount of earnable stuff in game and then some cosmetic only direct to purchase.

I doubt it will be invasive.
AMA4N wrote:
WSerg wrote:
thats not really news. i think they had job offerings like this for a long time now.
this is also one of the things i'm worried about and the monetization will have a huge impact on my decission how i will play infinite (on xb1 or scarlet, buy or borrow or buy used)

the sadest part in my opinion is, that there are still people saying: it's here to stay, we must accept it... thats the reason it got so bad in the first place.

we have to push back, not accept it
We still don't know much about it but i still have faith in it. We don't know how it's gonna work. It's it's going to be cosmetic then ill be happy with it.
What about unlocking cosmetics with achievements or even challenges (Reach gave credits but with then you unlock cosmetics)?

The problem with microtranstactions is that they become more and more intrusive, take a look at FIFA, Apex, Anthem, Assassin's that Creed, something that started with "they're only cosmetic so it's k" now became basically a paywall between the player and and the content of a game, is that what people here really want? "It's reality brah, mtx are here to stay, better accept it", no, we don't have to accept them, 343 are trying to implementef because it's working for EA because people are dumb enough to still purchasing that garbage regardless the fact that those are basically gambling. If 343 implements a system that doesn't require real money, just playtime by the player (ala Reach), thats acceptable, but at the moment they want to glue a dollar price tag to a skin, that it's not even good (looking at you H5, such a design garbage), many people with enough brain cells simply won't buy the game, but the people that are used to giving their money to a company for game that it's mediocre at best because "it's only cosmetic so it's k" won't have an issue. And that's the problem, there is too much people without the criteria to understand why mtx are a cancer to the gaming community, they're basically leech that stucks to your wallet so it can suck every penny out of you, with the promise of an awesome skind that should have been unlockable vis gameplay, but let's make people buy it because they're dumb enough to throw their money away for some extra pretty pixels and polygons
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 12