Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Mission Forging

OP shawnk9512

Hey everyone!

So I searched around a little bit and didn’t see any topics about this yet (or maybe it was buried to deep for me to find it). How would everyone feel about being able to forge your own missions in Halo Infinite? Imagine that instead of just making a multiplayer map, you could actually map out your own campaign style mission! Complete with objectives, weapon/vehicle drops, AI enemies/ally’s, and even the ability to make simple little cut scenes based on a Halo 5’s into/outro mini cutscenes but on a whole other level.

It would be too late for 343 to add something this big in the game now if they haven’t started already, but I think it’s a really fun topic to consider and chat with you guys about. When Bungie gave us Forge in Halo 3, they’ve said they were blown away by the things the community were able to accomplish. Fast forward to Halo 5 and it’s wildly impressive Forge, and people are still doing the craziest things that no one ever thought would be possible. Imagine the things we could do if we could make our own missions to play with our friends.

I mean the replayablity would be... well, almost INFINTE! And that sounds pretty fitting to me, I do t know about everyone else. So with all that said, what does everyone think?
I think it would be interesting, but it would also be a big undertaking. Something like that might take a while to make, which might mean we could possibly end up with a long creation time.

I'd personally be into it.
Well DOOM did it with that snap map feature. Don't see why infinite couldn't but it depends on what 343 has planned
this is a great idea for longevity , but I don't know if you understand the time and resources it takes to properly path AI in a semi open environment. I'm not a programmer or designer and probably have as much knowledge about this subject as the average person , but from what I understand A.I. behavior and pathing is some of the most difficult programming that takes place in game creation. Not trying to poo-poo the idea ,it is a common request from forgers (and I like the concept), but I don't know how feasible it is.
I know Banana brought up snap map , but I feel like that's a different beast entirely being composed mainly of closed off rooms with few pathing options. Could be wrong though , and as I said ; if 343 can figure it out , it will go a long way towards the longevity of Infinite.
Sunsdune wrote:
this is a great idea for longevity , but I don't know if you understand the time and resources it takes to properly path AI in a semi open environment. I'm not a programmer or designer and probably have as much knowledge about this subject as the average person , but from what I understand A.I. behavior and pathing is some of the most difficult programming that takes place in game creation. Not trying to poo-poo the idea ,it is a common request from forgers (and I like the concept), but I don't know how feasible it is.
I know Banana brought up snap map , but I feel like that's a different beast entirely being composed mainly of closed off rooms with few pathing options. Could be wrong though , and as I said ; if 343 can figure it out , it will go a long way towards the longevity of Infinite.
Well I do understand the the time and resources, that’s why I said in my original post that unfortunately it’s probably too late for them to implement now if they haven’t started already. But I think it’s good to get the idea out there and to talk about it because I think it’s a natural progression for forge mode and we should get there at some point whether it’s this game or the next. It could even be DLC?

And I think the way it could work would just be to keep the options fairly simple. The missions don’t have to be full blown official 343 style levels when it comes to polish. For example, you place an elite in one area and it will have preset combat options to choose from like weapon and armor/rank. Then you can set him on wander and set the radius, or static which would mean he stays in one spot until spotting the player and beacomimg aggressive.

Keeping it simple at first is probably the best way to do it. Halo 3 Forge was very simple at first, and every iteration after became more in depth and complex. I think that could be the case with this too but it’s gotta start somewhere.
This is the entire reason I've wanted ai in forge for so long. Probably don't even need to add all the other stuff because scripting and camera items that were already in halo 5 could be used by forgers to make their own objectives, events, and opening cutscenes. And I'm pretty sure scripting is a must have for forge at this point so I'm willing to bet that parts already done. It'd be nice if they added ai in an update later down the line after infinite's been released.