Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Mod Support?

OP SirScoundrel

So... Big Zingger... Will there be Mod Suport for this game?
For the Xbox version (ala Fallout 4 etc) it seems unlikely.

For PC, it’ll depend on the store the game launches on. If launched outside of Windows Store than we might hopefully see a traditional Win32 game in which case mods are a possibility. If the game is tied to Microsoft Store alone however then it will most likely be a UWP title which will basically kill nodding support entirely (for now, at the very least).
Wh1skers wrote:
For the Xbox version (ala Fallout 4 etc) it seems unlikely.

For PC, it’ll depend on the store the game launches on. If launched outside of Windows Store than we might hopefully see a traditional Win32 game in which case mods are a possibility. If the game is tied to Microsoft Store alone however then it will most likely be a UWP title which will basically kill nodding support entirely (for now, at the very least).
God, I hope not man. I want "Steam Workshop" but for Halo Infinite where you can look up weapons, forge pieces, skyboxes, new forge tools, and all sorts of stuff.
When asking why Postal Redux why they didn't have Workshop support but Postal 2 did, hearing from one of the Dev Guys I know this isn't a "Push a button and done" but I really hope they do this.
The Modding Comunity brings so much extra life into games.
Hell, do you know they are bringing Morrowind into Skyrim?
The catch is that they had to recreate all the assets from scratch but DUDE it would be -Yoinking!- awesome if we could pulls something like that off.
I know IMMEDIATELY someone is going to try and build a Halo MMORPG and Recreations of older Halo Games, Remakes from the Books that way people who have not invested themselves into the outside lore can experience it.
And in the long run maybe not as much development time for 343i to allow this ya know?
Nope. I doubt the devs would risk being outshone by the community.
It really ain't as simple as that. Having mod support entails a lot more work than just throwing some modding tools at the general direction of the community and sitting back to watch the show. You have to define the scope of the mods (will it SP, MP, Firefight or a combination of the listed), creating a system for choosing and curating the mods that are posted, making sure that Phil's 8 Foot Tall Gruntworks Mod doesn't set peoples Xboxes/PCs on fire, etc. Oh and mods on the Windows Store (it ain't coming out on Steam)? Surely you jest!
I have to many bad memories of auto shotguns that shoot sniper rounds from Halo 2 to be in any way interested in mod support
Something like Forge would take care of that. If there is modding it needs to be very tightly controlled.
You can have user-created content with the UWP format, it's about policy first and foremost.

I think Microsoft and 343i will be wise to bet on the community to create some maps/skins like what's happening for the Forza IP for example.

But that can't be stressed enough, unregulated modding is not the way to go.
I hope it doesn’t for the Xbox. I just like my game clean and green. For PC? Go crazy
It really ain't as simple as that. Having mod support entails a lot more work than just throwing some modding tools at the general direction of the community and sitting back to watch the show. You have to define the scope of the mods (will it SP, MP, Firefight or a combination of the listed), creating a system for choosing and curating the mods that are posted, making sure that Phil's 8 Foot Tall Gruntworks Mod doesn't set peoples Xboxes/PCs on fire, etc. Oh and mods on the Windows Store (it ain't coming out on Steam)? Surely you jest!
I get what u are saying, and what u r saying is correct. But I'm just making the point that after the showing 343 made in h5 it wouldn't be too far fetched for the communtity to outdo 343 in some aspects. 343 couldn't even make most of the btb maps, they stood on the crutch of the community to do so. Same with griffball. The sad part is there are a significant amount of community made maps that make the "professionals" work look like a bit of a sorry attempt.
I get what u are saying, and what u r saying is correct. But I'm just making the point that after the showing 343 made in h5 it wouldn't be too far fetched for the communtity to outdo 343 in some aspects. 343 couldn't even make most of the btb maps, they stood on the crutch of the community to do so. Same with griffball. The sad part is there are a significant amount of community made maps that make the "professionals" work look like a bit of a sorry attempt.
I get you, but 343 has limited resources and thus has to decide where to prioritize time. people, and money. I agree that they could have handled things better (the one thing Halo 4 did well was BTB and Halo 5 absolutely is a step down in that regard) but a game's community will always be able to "beat" the original developer in certain things. Even if there were "just" 5000 community members that would be up to making mods for Halo: Infinite, that would still give them way more resource capacity than 343.

But this is all kinda pointless since the closest to mod support we are going to get is a upgraded Forge and quite frankly I'm fine with that. Just expand the Custom Games Browser and refine Forge and that will make for a great environment to create and play community created content.
Doubt it. Without source code you wont have mods. and you saw what happened when someone used abandon code to create what the community wanted...
Hell no, they won't. There's a vested interest in and a demonstrated history of denying community empowerment in this series. The sandbox has a glass ceiling.

But! I don't want to vilify 343/MS. I think they do the best they can with the limited structures of intellectual property and proprietary software. They work very hard and produce quality results, but I have yet to see a true sense of liberation given to the community--though not their fault, they're just following the social contract; as I said, the world of Halo is a walled garden.
I would love mod support even if its added post launch for PC only. Though I have a feeling that if micro-transactions return then it won't happen. I understand not having mods in matchmaking, but it would be awesome to have in custom games, forge, and for a firefight or some other component. Mods tend to improve the experience and even allow interesting and new experiences that increase the longevity of the game.

Halo Custom Edition is quite evidence of that with all the various mods that expand or completely change the game. SPV3 added the sparrowhawk, interesting new weapons, new sections of levels, and some hit and miss new encounters. While this has lead to people trying to fix/add to Halo 2 Vista (project cartographer) to fan games like Installation 01, Glassed, and Project Contingency. Even Eldorito shows creativity of mods with changing forge objects textures, no map barriers options, weather effects, changeable skyboxes, flashlights in multiplayer, and a few other things. Though I wish Microsoft would sell the build of Halo Online so mods could still be developed. Or at least have mod support for Halo Infinite or when ever we see a MCC PC port. I hope that 343/Microsoft branches Halo out of the windows store but I don't think testing the waters with Halo Wars DE on Steam went well. So the odds of mod support is highly unlikely and pretty much no if micro-transactions are in Halo Infinite.