Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Modern Features

OP LuKr4SH

I would not mind at all if halo infinity will be something like this:

ARENA -> The most competitive area, like as H5: HCS settings, all players equal to the start, same abilities and weapons for all etc.

INFINITY -> Modern features:
  • Various characters with the same spartan abilities but differents value of strenght, agility, resistaince and each one with a personal super ability.
  • Career progression of the characters to improve their values.
  • Full customizable weapons with differents value of fire rate, impact, range, handling, accuracy.
  • Game economy: Play to get experience and armory credits to buy weapons, part of them and armor parts. Microtransaction and req system only for aesthetic personalizations.
  • Multiplayer Challenges to unlock legendary items.
Instead, I do not like the req system. I find no pleasure in discarding packages with cards full of duplicates. I do not even like the concept of disposable weapon. I'd rather build my character calmly, improve weapons by buying upgrades that directly affect thei values. Maybe, get a common weapon and improve them up to legendary.
I'd rather Halo not do the whole class thing, I'm not a fan. I like it when everyone is on an even playing field. Maybe they could dabble with these ideas in a large scale casual mode like warzone but as far as arena goes I like what they're doing now. Tournament settings and casual playlists.
I'd rather Halo not do the whole class thing, I'm not a fan. I like it when everyone is on an even playing field. Maybe they could dabble with these ideas in a large scale casual mode like warzone but as far as arena goes I like what they're doing now. Tournament settings and casual playlists.
I agree. I would like an even playing field where ranking up takes skill over XP.
I wish people would be more open-minded about loadouts and other things like that in Halo. Yes, yes, I know, Halo is all about equal starts and arena gameplay and all that jazz. However, the existence of a playlist where players can use loadouts, ones where they pick their own weapons, attachments, perks, abilities etc., does not threaten the existence of a main set of playlist that follow arena rules. Halo 5 proved this by having Arena and Warzone. The latter had quite a few problems, and it aged kind of like milk since 343 didn't (or was simply unable to) remedy the problems with it. However, they can have a fresh start with it in Halo Infinite.

In Warzone as it is, players can choose what weapons to spawn with, all with variations via attachments, as well as passive abilities like enhanced radar or increased melee damage. In essence, these are personal loadouts, but always made on the fly. It doesn't always work out, since picking each option takes time and the REQ system is bloated and laggy. In the next version of Warzone (assuming Halo Infinite will have it,) we could simply this by having custom loadouts. Let's say a player's prefered loadout is this: Battle Rifle with Sentinel Scope, SMG with Stablizers, and Frag Grenade Expert. Rather than manually picking those every match, the player could set this as a pre-prepared loadout and summon all of these in one go.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but being able to make loadouts/builds in game and try out various combinations, especially in multiplayer games, is half the fun of a game for me. Back in Halo 4 I liked trying out different pairings of weapons, grenades, and armor abilities. Some were great for general slayer, and others were good for objective-based modes. And this is the reason why I enjoy games like Destiny so much. And before anyone rushes to conclusions, no, I am NOT saying Halo should be like Destiny. If I want to play Destiny, I'll play Destiny. What I am saying, is that we shouldn't outright reject the possibilities of adding new, seperate features and mechanics to the game so that we have more options.

And I just want to emphasize this point: Arena gameplay and casual, Warzone style gameplay with custom loadouts can co-exist as separate playlists.
Rhydon65 wrote:
And I just want to emphasize this point: Arena gameplay and casual, Warzone style gameplay with custom loadouts can co-exist as separate playlists.
Where does that leave casual players who love/want the original formula?
baaask wrote:
Rhydon65 wrote:
Where does that leave casual players who love/want the original formula?
Casual players are very open to modern features and less related to competitive play. Imho, it was a mistake to force competitive play on playlists that were once for caual gaming (swat, ffa).

The original formula will always have to remain for competitive play, but only a few playlists are sufficient for this. Halo reach, for example, had a team slayer with Armor Abilities and a competitive playlist without them.

I think it would be good to have Arena, but also an area with modern features. Not only warzone, i mean 4vs4, ranked but not HCS. So, semi-competitive.
Not likely that they would design two entirely different games just for people who like class-based shooters.

I don't know if this has been stated enough times, but Halo doesn't DO genre stuff better than other shooters. It's entirely designed not to. The movement speed is too slow to be a traditional Arena FPS, for example.

It's not going to do hero shooting better than Overwatch, it's not doing class-based shooting better than Team Fortress, it's not doing twitch shooting better than COD, it's not doing Arena shooting better than Quake and Doom. Halo is not like those games and was NOT designed to excel at what those game do. Halo is Halo. Let Halo continue to build on its strengths as it carves out a real market for pseudo-Arena gameplay with vehicles and long TTK. Something that it really monopolizes.
So design two games on the using the same time and resources? Not really a practical idea.

Frankly that the above list is considered by anyone to be "modern features" is something of a sad statement for Halo and the industry at large. It can be broken down into 1.) Gameplay design that clashes with the core design of the franchise and 2.) Adding a bunch of busywork. If you want to do all this asymmetric hero/class based stuff, then save it for a spin off. Core Halo games do not need to be all things to all people, they couldn't even if they tried.

Maybe I'm breaking out my old man cane here, but leveling and "progression" has gotten out of control. Rather than simply being a rpg inspired reward system as an aside, it has seemingly become the game for some people. Call me old fashioned, but I thought the reason a person is going to log in every day to play is because the game is just fun to play. Not to just hit the next arbitrary milestone or grind out some cosmetic stuff, but to keep playing a game they love to play.

I'd be perfectly fine with just about everything being unlocked from the start and having a bunch of actual new/upgraded features at launch.
*Upgraded Forge with terrain editing
*Theater that actually works up to at least Halo 3 standards(at minimum)
*Properly functioning spectator mode
*Custom Game Lobby and searches
*Expanded custom game options
*File Share
*Proper Firefight(ODST) and customization(ala Reach)
*Campaign Co-op with decent netcode.

You know, actual features that add to the core game rather than work outside of it. Bring in some actual value and longevity to the game rather than psychological tactics.
Load outs in halo infinite= me not getting a copy. Loadouts made halo 4 to un predictable. And it broke tradition like reach did. Halo should be boots on the ground no annoying no skill gimmicks or get out of jail free cards. You and your gun and a coupe grenades off spawn. I’d support sprint if it allowed you to sprint for a short time, than it would have to recharge. That’s the only modern part I would be fine with and it would be in social only not ranked. Halo needs to play like halo and look like halo again. Let’s not pull a last Jedi but in the halo series instead. Let’s prevent that.
skewer647 wrote:
Load outs in halo infinite= me not getting a copy. Loadouts made halo 4 to un predictable. And it broke tradition like reach did. Halo should be boots on the ground no annoying no skill gimmicks or get out of jail free cards. You and your gun and a coupe grenades off spawn. I’d support sprint if it allowed you to sprint for a short time, than it would have to recharge. That’s the only modern part I would be fine with and it would be in social only not ranked. Halo needs to play like halo and look like halo again. Let’s not pull a last Jedi but in the halo series instead. Let’s prevent that.
I did not mean to say that Halo Infinity should be totally modern. I was talking about creating two areas, a classic competitive and a modern semi-competitive or at least social
LuKr4SH wrote:
skewer647 wrote:
I did not mean to say that Halo Infinity should be totally modern. I was talking about creating two areas, a classic competitive and a modern semi-competitive or at least social
Maybe a single playlist for the “modern” stuff. Everything else would be classic. Giving the modern fans the same treatment classic fans got in h5 . One playlist that’s rotational that was somewhat classic. It’s only fair.