Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

More playable characters in multiplayer

OP UNDEADM1K3TV

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If you ask me, it would be Really cool if we could play other then a elite or spartan, allow us to play as a odst, a marine, a jackel, or a grunt. I've always thought how fun would that be since halo 3 if we could play them for online matchmaking, forge, custom games and even mini games and ranked playlist designated to that character or faction. Maybe even have a specific game mode that let's you chose one of the characters as a class for multiplayer. Personally I can't think of anything better then dropping into he'll as a odst online. Be so sick
I've always thought since Halo 2 more playable species would become available in later games, that unfortunately never happened. Class based multiplayer could be really fun if done right.
Having some form of experience where you can play as all the other species as sorta classes is definitely a neat idea, but I personally think it should be in a spin-off Halo title. Like how everyone's been wanting a Halo game where you play as Johnson, it could be a Halo game with more class-based gameplay where you can play co-op with varying classes of Marines, and the multiplayer would... Honestly for balancing reasons probably be all the Covenant, UNSC and whatever else classes all playable together on a Red and Blue team (They would probably use the same Warzone excuse with maybe SoS Grunts, Jackals, etc.), but an Invasion-type gamemode would be really cool.

All that being said, it would provide a lot of balancing problems in a main-line Halo game, and making Halo class-based just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. But it's an interesting idea nonetheless! I'd like to see 343 look into it, again I think as a spin-off title would be the best bet. Once Halo is really up off the ground and in a comfortable spot, 343 should just make one Halo game that takes a bunch of risks to apply towards a whole bunch of really out-there requests and ideas that people have been wanting. Just something really new and different to the point that it can't even really be compared to the other Halos aside from it's story telling.
I am not sure how that'll work in versus multiplayer, but I would love to see something like Gears of War 3's Beast mode, which would basically be the opposite of Firefight/Horde(Gears).
You may need a new game mode to support other characters. Remember your appearance also makes a difference in MP because different heights and sizes influnces the hit box.
If you ask me, it would be Really cool if we could play other then a elite or spartan, allow us to play as a odst, a marine, a jackel, or a grunt. I've always thought how fun would that be since halo 3 if we could play them for online matchmaking, forge, custom games and even mini games and ranked playlist designated to that character or faction. Maybe even have a specific game mode that let's you chose one of the characters as a class for multiplayer. Personally I can't think of anything better then dropping into he'll as a odst online. Be so sick
I think it's a cool and interesting idea, but like another has stated, I'm not sure if Infinite is the right place for it. Maybe in another spin off like they stated. Or if they did allow it, have it be in Firefight, where you drop in as whatever other unit type and try to take out the team that's holding it. I could see that working but then you run into a bunch of balancing and gameplay mechanics. They have to make each unit feel unique while you play them, their movements, sounds, etc.

Definitely not against the idea. When I first read it, I thought Left 4 Dead but I'm not sure it'd be a good fit in Infinite. I have the same feelings about a Halo Battle Royale. I think Halo is perfect for a BR. I've even brainstormed ideas on how it could work, but I don't think it'd be right in Infinite.
Well that's why when the game drops. Drop with the original gamemode and what not and make updates as they go towards the idea. I know 343 even stated there would be no battle royale. Other then the playable character as for as game modes go they could always do odst slayer, marine slayer, grunt slayer, ETC... it would be Really really cool if they did like a 64 v 64 well I guess we could call it super big team battle I guess. I've been thinking about alot lately for infinite because 4 and 5 to me were a complete flop and I think something new buuuuuut original would be a great move. I mean if we write a petition or something or if this conversation gets recognized it could be a possibility. I mean after all, something can be as great as you make it. And I know 343 has the ability to make it work. It just depends if they want to do. And I really hope they do because that would be amazing.
Well this is the thing. As developers, you do pay attention to the competitive scene. In Halo 2 you could play as an Elite. But why would you. Pro players made it obvious that doing so would make your hitbox bigger. Especially the head. As an elite, you're easier to kill. I mean a lot easier.

Now say you were able to play as a Marine.You are going to effectively be a foot or more shorter than an Armored spartan. No where near as bulky. So your hitbox is going to be smaller. Kind of unfair.

In Apex, however, they balance out size by damage taken. The bigger characters take 10 percent less damage while the smallest characters take 5 percent increased damage. I dont think something like that would transition well to Halo.

They could give us Forerunners with the same general build as Spartans.

That would be kind of cool.
So you telling me being a elite with a bigger hitbox is okay but being a marine which could have a smaller one then suddenly there's a problem. Quiet frankly big or small doesn't matter. Learn to adapt and overcome that's why it's called have skill.
This may need a new game mode to play as other characters, especially the grunt from its size differences from other characters which would make it a very small hit box. Playing as an elite compared to a grunt is a big size difference. I really don’t see this coming to multiplayer because of hit boxes
I've always thought since Halo 2 more playable species would become available in later games, that unfortunately never happened. Class based multiplayer could be really fun if done right.
At this point, I would settle for having playable Elites back. :(
I think Its called hord mode in GOW. But while you would get killed easy I would love invasion to come back and bring in the other species and ranks for both sides.
I definitely don't want Halo to become a class based game. I'm 100% fine with everyone being Spartans. So I'll have to say no, too More playable characters in multiplayer.

If classes or races HAD to be put into Halo it either has to be in some sort of PvE mode only, or an better yet, make an entirely different game separate of the main series, which I feel that's what they should do if they want battle royal in Halo.

There have already been different styles of Halo games made (some pretty successful ones too I might add) so just do that. I just want to main Halo series to be and play like the main series.
I definitely don't want Halo to become a class based game. I'm 100% fine with everyone being Spartans. So I'll have to say no, too More playable characters in multiplayer.

If classes or races HAD to be put into Halo it either has to be in some sort of PvE mode only, or an better yet, make an entirely different game separate of the main series, which I feel that's what they should do if they want battle royal in Halo.

There have already been different styles of Halo games made (some pretty successful ones too I might add) so just do that. I just want to main Halo series to be and play like the main series.
Agreed, the standard formula has been proven to be the best way to go. Halo matchmaking should not deviate far from its roots.
Bring back elites
I would like to see other playable characters but I would like to see them more than just a different skin of characters much like elites in H2 & H3. As far as ballancing goes I think Spartans and Elites should be balanced against each other and the rest should get their own type of health system (much like Halo Reach)
  • ODST will have a stamina system that is depleted during sprinting and clambering (since they can't jump as high as sparans) but will overall be smaller and weaker than spartans.
  • Brutes will have a power armor system that breaks but has a quite a bit of health.
  • Flood Combat Form would be like H3 with Black Eye skull turned on
  • Promethean Soldiers would have the H3 shield bar system with no visible health bar
As for game types well you got Juggernaut which could be a bunch of ODST vs a lone Brute (since brutes have the most HP and ODST has the fewest).
There is also infection where the zombies are just Flood Combat Forms (give them the Flood Leap).
There is of course faction variants of slayer such as Promethean Slayer with all Promethean/forerunner weapons and everyone is a Promethean Soldier/Knight.
Playing halo 2, 3, and reach which had playable elites was one of the favorites, even in halo 3 were you get to customize your elite, change of color amour variations. And halo reach choosing between an elite to a general elite, bring back our playable elites at least, please 343
Playing as a Grunt would be a bad idea.
It's like playing SWAT, except everyone else in the game has energy shields.
Yeah I don't think a Grunt would make a good playable character the same reason why I don't thin a Marine would make a good playable character (for the Marine we have the ODST and we could just give them a general armored marine set. So far the 3 playable charachters we had in the past are
  • Spartans
  • Elites (which acted mostly like Spartans until Reach)
  • ODST (which still acted like Spartans only smaller and shields were a different name).
So there really wasn't that much of a difference until Halo Reach came out. now I think there could be 3 more playable characters one from the covenant and the rest to round up the Big 4 factions of the game (Human, Covenant, Forerunner, Precursor/Flood).
  • Brute
  • Combat Form (Flood)
  • Promethean Soldier (or Knight for cosmetics).
I hate to say this but ever since 343 took a hold of Halo they have had this attitude that the only characters that matters are Spartans, so for playable characters it has always been IYASYAS.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2